main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Last official Star Wars trailer shows how unnecessary "The Force Awakens" is

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by march162015, Apr 7, 2015.

1. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015
    Watch this trailer

and tell me the story is not complete, I dare you

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The story is not complete

Alright, what do I win for going through with your dare?

3. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Those stories are complete. That doesn't mean more stories can't be told.

Really, it is a win-win scenario. If TFA comes out and it sucks, we can still enjoy the originals as they are. If it is awesome, then we have more great SW to enjoy.

4. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    My take exactly

I support the ST due to George still being involved (I don't believe at all that they ditched his treatment) but if his vision is muddled too much, I'll always have the PT and OT

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, twenty two years ago, Lucas wrote an intro for the reprint of the first EU novel where he said that there were more stories out there that he might never get to tell. Hence the creation of the EU. And he himself started to come up with ideas for the ST, before he sold his company. So, obviously, there was something to say.

6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    There's always another story to tell. I'm trying very hard to go into the ST era without too many pre-conceived ideas and judge it on its own merits, rather than with reference to the PT or the OT.

7. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Look at it this way the PT and OT tell one Saga and the ST and the next Trilogy tell another because we all know there will be another trilogy.

8. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    On one hand, all 6 movies set up Sidious/The Emperor as the ultimate villain who threatened the entire galaxy's freedom. Because of this, the ST really needs to establish the antagonist as a serious threat.

On the other hand, the story is not necessarily over. While the story to stop Sidious is done, the story about rebuilding the Jedi Order and the Republic is a great one to tell. Between the Imperial Remnants and the potential Dark Jedi, we will most likely have something to entertain us.

9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Most people know that the sequels are tacked on, especially now since they're using the Empire again. But we can still have fun with them.

It will be very hard to top the villains of the OT, so I doubt they'll manage to do it.

But topping the OT is not that important, telling a satisfying story is.

10. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    The movies never established anything similar to "Imperial Remnants" (all we saw were obedient military forces under the orders of Vader and The Emperor) or "Dark Jedis" (the movies establish that there can only be two siths at a time, and there's no such thing as "dark jedi" as far as I know of).

So yeah, nothing left to be told. Can more stories be added? Sure, always. But what was set up in episode I was resolved in episode VI.

From my point of view, the story IS over.

darthtimetraveller and CoolyFett like this.
  11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    While I agree that the saga was perfectly fine being wrapped up with ROTJ, there are a few story points that give them an out on that, which also could have been part of Lucas' original outline of the saga anyways.

1. Telling the story of the Republic being rebuilt. I really believe that is what the sequel trilogy will build towards, and by the end of IX, the Republic will have been rebuilt and will be the governing body of the galaxy once again. It will truly brind everything full circle.

2. The rebuilding of the Jedi order. Obviously this is going to happen to and even sort of goes hand in hand with point #1. By the end of IX, I believe the jedi order will be fully rebuilt to the point where they will once again be the guardians of peace and justice in the galaxy, only this time Luke will have implemented an order that will be able to flourish more and not be bogged down by its own arrogance and shortsightedness.

But all in all, if they do it right, it will truly feel like the whole thing has come full circle by the end of the ST.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The 6 part tragedy of Anakin Skywalker isn't the story anymore. The story has evolved once more.

13. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It's not that easy to change a story. In fact, it is almost impossible to change the ending if you don't change the beginning as well (or vice-versa).

The PT only worked because Return of the Jedi wasn't a natural ending to the story started in A New Hope (because they were making it up as they went). Based on that, it was "easy" to create a PT that would match the ending of Jedi (which is about Palpatine and Vader's redemption).

14. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    The 'main' characters stories are mostly over but the story as a whole certainly isn't. The Republic had already risen (by the time of the Prequels) then we saw it fall and now we get to see it being built back up again. Besides, there are characters whose stories aren't even remotely finished yet. What does Luke do about restoring the Jedi Order to the galaxy? Leia finally won the war and got the chance to build a democratic republic... how does she do it? Even Han to the extent that he's not even really a smuggler anymore, he's ended up pulling a Lando and going legitimate. Does he manage to keep that up? The new characters are the foils that let the story of the galaxy move on and give context to these threads.

The only one whose story was at a narrative end was Vader, who is now dead. There is plenty to tell with the rest.

15. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Were any of the stories "necessary"? I'm not even sure what the point is.

16. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Lol i know the new stuff is all cash in, but Disney cut the check so I believe they deserve to cash in on it. Leaching off the Complete Saga for their movies is cheap, but thats their business angle. I say talk with your wallet support the films, characters and eras you love. Clone War era, Rebellion era or Disney era. Support what you like.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  17. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Guys the ST is just a new story added on the 6 part Fall and rise of Anakin has ended so this is a new Saga a new story.

18. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    I dont know what that guy is talking the Story that starts on Naboo and ends on Endor is set in stone. No extra films or film edits will change the story. Palpatine came to power, used people to stay in power and died by the hands of a trusted servant. The End

19. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    ^^^Yup. I'm becoming more and more convinced that TFA will be less about finishing the story with one last trilogy, and more about using elements from the previous saga to set up an entirely new one. 20 years from now, we may be looking at "the Lucas Saga" and "the Disney Saga" as two connected but largely separate entities.

20. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    And that totally fine, its just important that people realize what Walt Disney is doing versus what many are hoping they will do. They are using the episode numbers to sell tickets, tricking fans into believing that these new characters are somehow still connected to Palpatine 30 years after his death. The new villain will have no connection to Palpatine. In a sense Walt Disney is Palpatine lol, and some fans are Jar Jar, Padme, Anakin, Nute, Dooku and Tarkin. They are being used.

21. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Lucas didn't have to do "The Empire Strikes Back" and the other four films that followed. He could have ended it with "A New Hope". But he didn't. So, I don't understand the argument that "The Force Awakens" is unnecessary.

22. CoolyFett

Feb 3, 2003
    That probably because you dont want to.

23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Is that really necessary CF?

Han Burgundy likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Pretty much my stance.

I will find the movie as necessary as it is enjoyable.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Let's ask this question; If Lucas hadn't sold his company and went ahead and made the ST, would you still say that it was a cash grab and unnecessary?