main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC [Last Resort] ITT I answer your questions about how bad that show is

Discussion in 'Community' started by Souderwan, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I was reading through this, about to concur til I saw that Shield comment.

Juliet, no, it's not. It's contempt for the audience is surpassed only by it's self-righteous idiocy. All the Shield does it sap brain cells and time, both of which are too precious to waste on vacuous shows like the Shield.

2. The Man Who Sold the Moon

The Man Who Sold the Moon Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 19, 2012
  3. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    that ***** married odette yustman he should just shut up and enjoy that *****

4. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    Oh well shows over when's Crank 3 coming out

5. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    As someone who loved the show, I'm not. To me the biggest problem was that it couldn't seem to decide if it wanted to go all-in on the "contemporary Books of Kings" premise or merely be content with it as a loose foundation. They ended up going for an approach that threw an esoteric narrative Biblical bone to the folks who were watching out for it while at the same time making it not essential to the narrative as a whole. In particular, a huge problem was that it never established whether "God" was an actual, extant entity shaping events (a la the Books of Kings) or a mere superstition invoked as a political tool a la present day. As a result the narrative was probably too disjointed for either audience. I'm horribly disappointed the show was cancelled, but I'm not going to act like it didn't perhaps deserve it.

I imagine that it would have been far, far more superior as an HBO miniseries.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Well, I think they wanted to keep some ambiguity there to so as not to alienate either secular or religious audiences. I think that was probably a wise choice. On your larger point though, I do agree they seemed to be significantly confused about the overall importance of their source material. I thought they were getting a better of hang of things later on, though. I would have been pretty interested to see David's defection to Gath play out over the course of a season. I was never happy with Jonathan's character, though.

7. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Me either, which perfectly crystallizes my entire complaint. One of the most interesting Biblical ambiguities has been whether David and Jonathan's friendship had a homosexual element. At first, it seemed the show would explore this, but then as it went on, the Jonathan character became less and less cognate with the Biblical Jonathan, and we(or at least I) was left wondering what the point of the character's homosexuality was.

8. Hero of Tukayyid

Hero of Tukayyid Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 23, 2012
    I think being an HBO show would had helped Kings a lot.

9. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    It has been 12 days and I have received no letter.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I remember working at Walmart over the summer and the promos for Last Resort kept playing over and over for the TV.

I still have no idea what it's about.

It looked like it revolved around a bunch of angry people on a submarine.

11. Gilad bel Iblis

Gilad bel Iblis Jedi Youngling

Dec 1, 2012
    At least they are not sfrustrated because of the lack of sex.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    The US Post Office has been under a lot of financial difficulty as of late, you know.