main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Science Fiction Last Stand - a Tale of DUNE

Discussion in 'Role Playing Forum' started by BobaMatt, Nov 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002

[b]Last Stand - a Tale of DUNE[/b]
    [hr]
    [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pn3QWkRyjSg&feature=PlayList&p=23BC1AA4F93D9C1D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=31][i]"A beginning is a very delicate time..."[/i][/link]
    [blockquote][i]"Novebruns had been a world without much importance for most of the existence of the Imperium, but in the wake of Paul Muad'Dib Atreides' ascent to the Imperial seat, it became a rallying symbol - not of support for the new regime, but rather for its opposition. Our relatives the Mutellis dug in deep, opposing even my mother's decisions...and the Mutellis paid dearly. Novebruns was destroyed, and their House was squashed nearly to a head. Those that survived lived out the rest of their lives on Tupile.

[image=http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs12/i/2006/284/e/7/Planet_Seik_and_It_s_3_Moons_by_Elijah_Snow.jpg]

"The true lesson of House Mutelli's destruction is not, however, that the power of the Atreides is unopposable - this even my wife will admit. The lesson is that even a God King can be shaken."[/i]

[b]- Harq al'Ada[/b][/blockquote]
    [hr]

A year has passed since Shaddam's reign collapsed at Arrakis, and Muad'dib's jihad has set fire to the Known Universe. Mutelli, a Minor House beneath House Corrino, has until now ruled a full half of the planet Novebruns; after Paul Atreides' ascension to the throne, the other half was purchased for a fist full of spice. On their world, the Mutellis began to harbor their cousins and allies - not to mention legions upon legions of the now defunct Sardaukar, warrior fanatics loyal to the Corrino dynasty.

Without their loyalty, the forces of the jihad had no choice.

[image=http://www.flagshag.com/smaller/europecoats/Finland_Coat_of_Arms.jpg]

This is the story of the fall of House Mutelli.
    [hr]
    Welcome to [b]Last Stand ? a Tale of DUNE,[/b] set in Frank Herbert?s [i]Dune[/i] universe, after the events of the first novel, when Muad?Dib?s jihad is sweeping the Imperium. Players will be asked to take up the roles of those affiliated with the doomed House Mutelli - family members, soldiers, allies, and agents.

[b][u]House Mutelli[/u][/b]
    A minor house closely related to the Corrinos, the Mutellis wielded great influence not only in the Minor House synods, but in the Landsraad councils as well. Until now most of their importance has been as armorers, but after the Atreides rise to the throne they have been an outspoken opponent of Paul Muad?Dib?s policies and his war.

But not all members of the House are against Muad?dib, though their political support or religious devotion may not be overt...
    [blockquote][b]House Adepts[/b] ? The Bene Gesserit have always been close to the seat of power, but have found less purchase under Muad?Dib than they have traditionally held. As such, they have remained close to House Corrino and its relatives. Not only are there B.G. sisters within House Mutelli, but as Novebruns has become the home of many branches of the Corrino family, a number of adepts of those houses have come to rest there as well. The Countess is an adept, and has instilled some training on her children.
    [b]Master of Assassins[/b] ? As an important House Minor, Mutelli?s Master of Assassins has learned from the best and is highly qualified, with decades of field experience and insight.
    [b]The Nobility[/b] ? Although they are a Minor House, the Mutellis knew full well their importance under their cousin Shaddam, and what?s more, have become more and more aware of their growing importance as a well-known safeworld for Corrino loyalists. They are proud, and they do not quibble about their public disdain for the Atreides usurper. Still, they know and respect power, and there are those who seek to hedge their bets, as well as those who may be full on traitors.
    [b]House Strategists[/b] ? Master strategists and advisers sit at the Mutelli Council Table, and their ranks have been strengthened by those members of fallen houses that have come to the Mutellis for shelter and a chance at renewed strength.
    [b]House Swordmaster[/b] ? A battle hardened Sard

2. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Approved!

Name: Count Hasimir Fenring

Appearance: Extremely well-groomed and clad in fine clothes at all times; long, pointed nose and large, dark eyes. Weaselish.

Homeworld: Kaitain

Allegiances and Alignments: Formerly to House Corrino

Profession: noble, ex-Imperial Spice Minister, former chief counsellor to the Padishah Emperor

Rank: Count - restricted by the jihad and his imposed exile, however.

Weapons: Anything is a weapon in the hands of Hasimir Fenring.

Possessions: What was not confiscated by the Emperor's Jihadi agents is now in storage on Salusa Secundus...supposedly.

Languages: Galach, Corrino Battle Language, Humming Language

Skills, Talents and Special Training: Minor training in Bene Gesserit techniques (linguistics and reading of minutaie); master assassin; master deceiver; excellent with all weaponry, flawless with blades; skilled tactician. Talent for lying and finding the truth.

Biography: The one man in the world physically capable of besting - indeed, defeating outright - the God-Emperor Muad'Dib himself chose instead to allow the young man to live, defying his liege, Shaddam IV, and instead living in seclusion on Salusa Secundus. A failure, according to the Bene Gesserit, at bringing about the Kwisatz Haderach earlier than expected, Hasimir Fenring is a genetic eunuch and incapable of siring any children. His life was tied to that of his slightly-younger crib mate, Shaddam IV. Fenring was the Emperor's one true friend, called his "errand boy," but never to his face. Fenring made deals with smugglers, kept tabs on enemies, and, when needed, eliminated the unwanted. A slayer of kings, soldiers, and men, Fenring chose to let Muad'Dib live. Why? Who knows - perhaps in that moment Fenring saw Paul Atreides as he was, a man breaking free of the chains of others and felt a kinship. Perhaps he simply did not want to kill for Shaddam anymore. Whatever the reason, as the Jihad swept the Imperium, Fenring left his family - the radiant Lady Margot and the last living Harkonnen heir, Marie - secluded in safety and went to Novebruns, last bastion of the old guard, to examine and prod in the right direction.

3. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    OOC: I'm currently working with a few players on their CSes, and have decided it might be fun to add a new layer to the character creation system of this game, deepening gameplay and increasing the DUNE feel.

Every character must have a secret that only I, the GM, know. It will be included in your PM, but should not be posted in the board.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    BobaMatt Approved!

Name: Fourel Ingot

Appearance: [image=http://i395.photobucket.com/albums/pp39/darthramza/ian_mcKellen.jpg]

Homeworld: Novebruns

Allegiances and Alignments: House Mutelli

Profession: House Strategist

Weapons: Basic Kindjal and shield setup

Possessions: Generally not without at least one book on tactics and several writing implements

Languages: Galach, Mutelli Battle Language

Skills, Talents and Special Training: Lengthy and considerable knowledge of tactics and battles throughout history. Years of experience with strategic planning. Rudimentary training with a knife and shield for the purposes of self defense. An uncanny ability to make a wisecrack about almost anything.

Biography: The eldest son of a farming family who left to seek his own way in the world, Fourel?s long-held position as a Mutelli strategist began after he was discovered, over eighty years ago, displaying a knack for planning that the strategist who witnessed it described, somewhat hyperbolically, as ?almost unprecedented.?

Since then, Fourel has gradually climbed the ranks in prominence, not through brief moments of particular gusto but with continued, consistent quality in his accomplishments. His reputation is such that he could probably achieve even grander heights within House Mutelli, but he prefers to climb ladders based on his achievements. His aging has been slightly delayed by small doses of mélange, but not significantly. He probably only has ten or so years left in him, and he has become acutely aware of this fact. He responds to this scenario with quite a bit of cynical humor ? so really, no different than any other situation.

5. Goldfarm

Goldfarm Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2009
    Approved!!

Name: Serkan Yilmaz
    Appearance: [image=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/dune/images/thumb/8/8f/Sardaukar.jpg/200px-Sardaukar.jpg]
    Homeworld: Salusa Secundus
    Allegiances and Alignments: Loyal to Shaddam Corrino IV
    Profession: Sardaukar warrior
    Weapons: Kilij on his left hip, crysknife in front of his right hip, and various other concealed weapons on his body.
    Possessions: None
    Languages: Galach, Corrino Battle Language
    Skills, Talents and Special Training: Veteran Sardaukar soldier and master of survival techniques. Incredibly gifted with the sword and very proficient with all other weapons. Enormous tolerance for pain.
    Biography: Serkan began the Sardaukar training at a young age and showed promise where others failed. He proved his aptitude for war time and time again as he successively carried out many of the Emperor?s orders with intense ardor. He has earned many prestigious orders and medals for his actions on the battlefield and was well on his way to the rank of Burseg before the jihad occurred. Now Serkan must rely on his ruthlessness and cunning to ensure the survival of House Mutelli in hopes of restoring House Corrino to its previous glory.

6. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Waiting on a few more CSes. Hope to get started soon...

7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    OOC: Those CSes I was waiting for are almost done. Thought I'd post this, finally...

[blockquote][i]"Thou didst divide the sand by thy strength; Thou breakest the heads of the dragons in the desert. Yea, I behold thee as a beast coming up from the dunes; thou hast the horns of the lamb, but thou speakest as the dragon.[/i]

[b] Arran 11:14, The Orange Catholic Bible[/b][/blockquote]

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cddfPNLKS6I&feature=related][i]Arrakeen Palace, Arrakis[/i][/link]

[image=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/a6/GrandPalace%2BDunes.jpg]

Tendrils of the future swirled about Paul's chambers as the Arrakeen sun set outside his massive, stained glass windows. He sat meditating as the Zensunni masters had taught him to, as the Zenbuddhist monks of old had before merging with the followers of Mohammed's religion, and as his mind expanded so, too, did his awareness of the planet around him, his palace, his chambers, himself. Data flooded through his consciousness, passed through higher-order dimensions, sifted itself in order of likelihood and importance. The Imperium positively thrummed, and the spicesticks he'd lit burned and let go their scented smoke. The Emperor's sister was in the room with him. Why was she so silent? No. She was not with him. She [i]would soon be[/i] with him. But not yet. The future was intruding on the present, and such distinctions lost their meaning. Chani and Irulan were elsewhere in the palace. busying themselves.

There were still blocked places, of course, still place he could not peer. The Spacing Guild were responsible for most of these nexuses, these bubbles of irretrievable data where his prescience cold not see - and even then, by examining surrounding factors, their involvement was usually discernible. [i]The fish-men and their plotting...[/i]

But recently there was a new problem. The planet Novebruns had dropped off of Paul's prescient sight.

"Hello, brother." The voice was a child's, the tone was a crone's.

Paul opened his eyes to make sure of the present, and for a moment the tendrils of possibility and probability faded to just behind his eyes, dimming in his brain. "Sister. I have an errand for you."

[b]TAG: All. None.[/b]

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    BobaMatt Approved

Name: Lorenzo Mutelli
    Appearance: A large hook nose and deep-set blue-in-blue eyes of spice addiction give him a somewhat grave appearance. He has a thick, wavy mantle of black hair with a distinguished streak of gray on the left side. He is swarthy, of average height, and prefers to dress in plain but expensive garb.
    Allegiance & Alignments: House Mutelli; Traitor to the same, personally sworn to the service Saint Alia of the Knife
    Profession: Noble, Theologian of the Terran Orthodox Church
    Weapons: None carried on a regular basis
    Possessions: Ostensibly, Lorenzo has taken a vow of poverty.
    Languages: Galach, Mutelli Battle Language, Bene Gesserit Sign Language
    Skills, Talents, and Special Training: Like all those in the line of succession for House Mutelli--however distant--Lorenzo received basic exposure to Bene Gesserit training. Besides, he boasts a piercing intellect, and the ability those around him feel at ease.

Biography: In considering his religious commitments, biographers, court observers, and diplomats have long been at odds over whether Lorenzo Mutelli is a reified shell game or nesting doll. Burdened with too many children and too little wealth, his House sent him away at an early age to pursue religious training. Since that time, he has both declined to answer to his surname and refused to renounce it. He has eschewed any formal ties to Mutelli interests while cultivating close relationships with every major player in their sphere of influence. It was thus that in spite of widely celebrated academic prowess, whispers abounded that his ascent to prominence was owed to his true position as a cat?s paw of the Corrino family.

This prominence eventually won him a place at court, where he witnessed the battle of Arrakis firsthand. While there, he encountered the young Alia Atreides. Though the two never spoke, and he was in all likelihood never noticed, the moment would nonetheless prove transformative. He withdrew from public life for several months afterwards. He re-emerged as a fierce critic of the ongoing jihad. More importantly, he re-emerged convinced of Alia?s divinity. He holds this conviction in secret, waiting for an opportunity to aid her. Meanwhile, such an opportunity blossoms, as his unique web of political ties makes him an ideal go between as tensions mount between Houses Atreides and Corrino.

9. Mister_Master

Mister_Master Jedi Master star 6

Oct 17, 2007
    GM Approved.

Name: Dimitri Mutelli
    Appearance: Light brown hair, and fair skin. Brown eyes. Stands at 5'10. Weighs 182 lb. Has an athletic build.
    Allegiances and Alignments: House Mutelli
    Profession: Noble, Assassin (Known only by a few).
    Weapons: Kindjal, Bodkin, Lasgun, Poisons
    Possessions: Assassins Handbook, personal shield,
    Languages: Galach, Mutelli Battle Language, Assassins language
    Skills, Talents and Special Training: He is a trained killer. Skilled with a knife. Extensive knowledge of poisons.
    Biography: Dimitri grew up with all the privileges of being the second son of a house noble. Though the one thing he always regretted not getting was the love of his Father. His Father loved him, but his brother being the heir seemed to get more of the love, and attention from him. As he grew into a man he took into forms, and skills that most people would think were unfit for a noblemen. Dimitri - in secret - took up the art of assassination. The thrill of going on dangerous missions caught him. But something was still missing inside his heart. Eventually he found it. But at a cost.

10. RegentStormblade

RegentStormblade Jedi Youngling

Oct 26, 2009
    Is this Site Still Active?

11. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    OOC: Yep. Just...slow. And a lot of people are busy. And I'm only halfway through the first post.

So if you're still interested in joining, let me know.

12. RegentStormblade

Oct 26, 2009
    Ya I am, if there's a vacancy for an aging Swordmaster Duke of a Great House. I'm a heavy Dune RPGer and there's few active Dune RPGs out here, so I cling to any that I find, active or not. There any way to IM to answer a bunch of Qs and As?

13. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    OOC: Private Message me, or get my AIM handle on my profile.

14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    OOC: Let's set this off...

[link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAZsf8mTfyk][i]Novebruns...[/i][/link]

Illuminated by the cracked and molten moon, the massive Heighliner made its instantaneous appearance above the planet Novebruns. It could be seen, low and black in the sky, through the stained glass windows of Filippo Cathedral of St. John the Forerunner. Mass was ending, and the altar servers and congregation were more easily distracted from their meditation than the Bishop Lorenzo Mutelli. Bells pealed and the chanting continued, but a low murmur had begun to ripple throughout the assembly. It wasn't until the hum of suspensors and the roar of thruster rockets drowned out the chants and made the marble pillars shake that mass was completely interrupted.

Visible in the landing field, far in the distance, were the shuttles being vomited forth in a steady stream from the Guild ship above. They were massive and powerful, bristling with defensive weaponry and deactivated shield generators. But most notable of all was their beauty - the ships were majestic and ornate in the style of Kaitain, trimmed in gold and adorned with the Corrino seal. They floated to their rest across the green landscape, over the beautiful city of Filippo, to the outskirts. Twenty massive ships in all, blocking the light from the Cathedral's windows for minutes at a time as they passed. The congregation was absolutely impious, now, craning to see. There had not been any ships due in, today. Muad'Dib's strictures had limited trade with Novebruns. And yet even the Guild could be bought.

Once landed, the distant ships opened wide their maws, lowered their gangways, and down came a river of the true Emperor's Sardaukar warrior fanatics. Legions. Blinking, Serkan Yilmaz stepped into the light to meet Ingot, the strategist, and present him with this gift from Selusa Secundus. Elsewhere, the strange Count Fenring was waiting to debark from his ship. No one knew why he had been asked to accompany the ships - it was suspected even Fenring did not know, but he had dutifully done as he had been bidden. The Sardaukar formed up in their dress uniforms, glittering in the sun and the muted reddish light as the molten moon passed. Novebruns shook with their marching. It was a fine day in the Imperium.

And the Princess Wensicia Corrino, in all her finery, would not miss it for the world.

[b]TAG: Goldfarm, Peng, Jabba-Wocky[/b]

15. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Aboard a Corrino frigate...

[image=http://img3.photographersdirect.com/img/18357/wm/pd1768276.jpg]

The army of Sardaukar was not the only gift being presented to the Mutellis this day. A coffin sat, ornate and covered in gold, in a cargo compartment, unguarded within its chamber. Within it was the body of Mutelli's first son, Stephen. His death had been tragic - a hunting accident, it was reported, on Selusa Secundus, visiting the old Emperor. A mauling. The casket was sealed to hide the horrific sight of his mangled flesh. The father had so loved his heir, had so adored him as a boy...the tales of the affections he'd heaped upon him, often at the expense of his other children, were legendary. Shaddam wept at Stephen's loss, and when the news arrived by courier - the tear-stained scroll unrolled - the old man, tall and strong, was silent. He swept from the room and did not emerge from his chambers for days. He still had not when the Heighliner emerged from foldspace above his world. This compliment of soldiers was as much a tribute to Stephen as anything.

The coffin, darkly lonesome in its compartment, was not alone. Selusa Secundus was not the first stop the Heighliner had made, and it would not be the last before reaching Novebruns. Along the way it had picked up a passenger that made his way aboard the frigate, picking his way until he gained entrance here. Adept at stealth, he remained aboard until this, his return home, when no one noticed he'd been gone to begin with. It was Dimitri Mutelli, second son of the House.

There was some comfort in having made the journey with his brother.

TAG: Mister_Master

16. RegentStormblade

Oct 26, 2009
    Anyone who still plays, can you Email/ Yahoo IM Me plz? RegentStormblade@yahoo.com

17. Czaarin

Czaarin Jedi Youngling

Jun 7, 2010
    Name: Saulius Czaarin
    Appearance: Long gray-blonde hair, has a nobleman's demeanor, Scar from an inkvine whip on his face which he has treated by his Suk doctor, a keepsake from his father whom he later vowed revenge against and succeeded the Barony from.
    Homeworld: Hagal
    Allegiances and Alignments: Money, House Czaarin
    Profession: Great House Baron
    Weapons: Many (most are concealed), mostly poisoned blades, personal shield, some surprise weapons such as smokescreens, etc. Prefers an Automatic Scattergun (shotgun) to any lasgun.
    Possessions: A few holdings of his House, some troops, his weapons, a
    Languages: Czaarinese, Galach, Several others
    Skills, Talents and Special Training: The Baron was a businessman groomed to run a business rather than a Barony, but he grew ambitious and for his punishments, he was sent to the Harkonnen Gladiator pits eventually. With an escape, he escaped off-world for many years with his band of followers. Upon his return to Hagal, he was in secret, now a well-trained assassin, skilled not only in bladed combat but in poisons as well. In the years prior to his return, however, he and his band fell into good alliances with various criminal and smuggler operations, of whom he maintains excellent ties with.
    Biography: Saulius Czaarin's childhood was spent working in his family's business of
    remanufacturing outdated Old Landsraad and Imperial military hardware
    for civilian use, as well as overseeing the gem mining operations on Hagal
    House Czaarin and Czaarin Remanufacturing in particular, run by Saul,
    developed close ties to the Imperium, but Saul unlike his twin brother Tiber
    would later become bored with this slow-paced, streamlined business.

Meanwhile, Saul found that book-making and running crooked casino games
    provided the excitement and financial returns he was seeking, and soon made a name
    for himself and his gambling den. Saul developed a reputation for being
    calculating, intelligent, organized, and a natural leader. As time went on,
    he became more arrogant and aggressive, and often came into conflict with
    other local crime bosses.

In an effort to arm his gambling ring's enforcers, Saul tried to steal an
    arms shipment from one of his father's warehouses. Czaarin Remanufacturing
    security caught Saulius and reported the incident to his father, Baron Dimitri
    Czaarin, who promptly gave his son a lasting scar from an inkvine whip across
    his face, then turned him over to the Imperial Landsraad Academy,
    hoping that he would learn the error of his ways. Instead, Saul's time at the
    Academy allowed him to advance his agenda, all the while seemingly playing by
    the rules and excelling as a student.

Saulius used his credentials as a top performer at the Academy to get on
    training missions where he could build a network of contacts for his new
    smuggling operation. The Academy's lax security made it simple for Saulius
    to steal Imperial weapons and smuggle them off-world, where his Twin Brother,
    Tiberius, could sell them on the black market.

Saulius's smuggling ring became one of the largest in the galaxy, and he
    began to gain the attention of other, more powerful criminals, particularly
    Baron Harkonnen. Harkonnen orchestrated a plan to catch Saulius during a smuggling
    run shortly before Saulius's graduation. Fortunately, Tiberius intercepted a
    transmission between Imperial Authorities about the scheme, allowing Saulius
    to escape prosecution?although he was still forced to leave the Academy in
    disgrace.

Despite his distrust of Baron Harkonnen, Saulius saw an alliance with him as the
    only option to continue building his organization within House Czaarin. Saulius
    began to run smuggling operations for his new ally in exchange for ships, money and
    vehicles. During that time, Saul gained strength by hiding assets from the Baron,
    in particular, a massive Stockpile of Spice that The Baron had planned to sell
    to the Guild. Saulius managed to steal the Stash and deliver it to Tiberius
    before the Harkonnens could perform the transaction, but Harkonnen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.