main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Last week's DVD News (sort of)

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TwiLekJedi, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Sorry, I kept forgetting to make this thread. :p

Actually, it wouldn't surprise me if these news are even older, but Steve Sansweet, when asked at last week's Jedi-Con about if and when the Deleted Scenes are going to be released on DVD sometime, replied that they would probably be included in a future release. Now, that's not saying much, but he did make it sound like their "great archivist" is looking at them now and again or even working with them.

Perhaps only on the eventual HD-release, though, because he spoke of the plans of a HD-release for the CT and said that even though Blu-Ray practically won the HD battle, LFL is still waiting if it's here to stay - or if it becomes another Laserdisc ;) (Strange comparison, though, as the CT exists on Laserdisc :p)
    Seems similar to the long time TPM took to get a DVD release, though, so at least they're somewhat consistent with that.

It's not much, and I'm sure he's said something like that on previous con appearances but there you have it.

2. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    i wish they would just release it alredy![face_praying]

3. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    i don't care, i'm not buying a crapstation 3, and i'm also not shelling out 1000+ bucks for a blue ray. the most i'd pay is like 120.

4. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    You can get a cheap Blu-Ray player for around $300. $350 tops. That's pretty far from $1,000. If Blu-Ray (or HD) becomes standard, the prices will go way down, too. Remember when DVD players were over $300?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing some officially released deleted scenes. I'm also excited about the idea of getting to watch the films in full-HD sometime in the near future. Let's just hope they wait until they have everything 'perfect' this time around.

5. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    yeah, by the time this gets released, Blu-Ray player prices will have gone down. It's the whole point they are making with the wait. Well, not about the prices, but about how wide-spread it'll be, which will affect the prices

6. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    I'm just glad to hear that this is somewhere on their agenda.

7. zombie

zombie Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 1999
    Well, I think we could have figured out on our own that the deleted scenes will "probably" be included in a "future release." But I guess its nice to hear Steve Sansweet guess about the same assumptions we've already pondered. :p

8. TwiLekJedi

Jun 14, 2001
    could we? a release, yes, but the deleted scenes? they haven't been on the other 4 DVD releases, while they're found on everything else - even the other 3 SW movies. I think it wasn't quite so obvious, which is probably why the guy at the con asked in the first place.

9. Captain_Typho

Captain_Typho Jedi Master star 5

Jul 30, 2003
    I am very happy to hear about this, although i hope they take great care and clean up the footage. That Biggs footage is in terrible shape. They need to clean up the footage, and maybe even add some more elements to make anchorhead seem more like a town with occupants than a deserted group of buildings.

The Luke eyepatch scene should be fun to watch

Lando being a badass and falling over the edge of the Falcon to save Luke at the end of TESB will be awesome.

plus all the other deleted material we don't know anything about yet.

10. lawnmowerman603

lawnmowerman603 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 23, 2002
    Heh, I was wondering why bac randomly brought up the idea of including the remastered OOT in the upcoming changes thread. Somehow I didn't notice this thread until just now.

Yes, the deleted scenes will be on the next major home video release beyond any shadow of doubt. People have only been asking about it for almost 4 whole years now.

It'll probably be on the blu-ray release, which at this point seems an inevitability.

11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    If they release the saga set in less than 3 years or so, I hope they decide to release the DVD's as both Blu Ray and just regular DVD. (even though I don't imagine that would be likely.)
    I'm not thinking I'll be wanting to spend the $ on a Blu Ray player right away (Just for a Star Wars saga set)...at least not till the price goes down abit-which could take 3 or 4 years!

Plus I have to get an HDTV first-there's no point having Blu ray if you don't have an HDTV, IMO...and I just don't have the $ to get ALL that right now...maybe in a year or two...[face_thinking]

12. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    i have a ps3 and i have to say it was the BEST investment i ever made when it comes to home entertainment, the blu-ray is amazing to say the least and when star wars comes out on blu-ray it will be UNBELIEVABLE,it will be just what the star wars saga needs for a fitting final release. i cant wait.:-B

13. lawnmowerman603

Jun 23, 2002
    Well, here's what my prediction is

2010 at the earliest, 2013 at the very latest, hopefully the former.

I'm confident that these nice treatments the other studios have been giving their movies will motivate Lucas to do the same for Star Wars.

But the comment about 100 hours of documentaries has me thinking that we're at least a couple years away from seeing this set all polished and put together. I just don't see them waiting any longer than that, because it's a different situation now than it was with dvd.

Also, to draw a parallel, the last vhs release of the OT was 2000 and the first dvd was four years later. The 2006 release will hopefully be the last dvd release (or at least the last dvd release without a day-and-date blu-ray) and if they follow the same pattern that means, yup, 2010.

Maybe that will be the next big year for the OT. I'm thinking the 3D re-releases, the saga home video release and the premiere of the live action show.

once again, this is just my prediction.

14. DarthMak

DarthMak Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 4, 2001
    It's nice to think that, but everyone thought 2007 was going to be the huge year. All we got were parody cartoons and R2-D2 mailboxes.

15. lawnmowerman603

Jun 23, 2002
    Yea but everyone knew by May of '06 that we probably weren't going to be getting anything the next year.

Also, the '04 release didn't fall on an anniversary of any sort.

16. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Plus, as far as the 2004 DVD set, it was first announced almost a year and a half before its actual release. And I'm sure another several months before that, there were rumors abounding...I would imagine that whenever this Saga set will be released, we'll know at least about a year in advance. Or we'll at least have strong rumors going around...stronger than the ones that came in 2006, at any rate...:p

17. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    My parents have a Blu Ray and I am salivating over the prospect of a SW Blu-Ray. I'm far, far away from the point of being able to have any of that, but yes...yes... I DO have it on Laser Disc, though :p

-sj loves kevin spacey

18. lawnmowerman603

Jun 23, 2002
    Well, by DARTH_BELO's logic, we have until about a year from now until we know whether or not we'll be getting another release by the end of 2010. That also seems to be the year we'll be getting the live action series, judging by the comments from Lucas and Sansweet over the past several weeks. Maybe they'll just take it easy in 2009 and focus on The Clone Wars, unless there's something I'm forgetting.

19. lawnmowerman603

Jun 23, 2002
    Arright, here's yet another theory from me:

Cameron's Avatar is rolling out in 3D in December of '09, right? Well, what if LFL uses that as an opportunity to make the grand announcement of the 3D re-release of the movies?

We could get them in theaters in Spring of 2010 and then have the blu-ray release in the Fall to coincide with the new live-action show. Whatya think?

20. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ I think that would be spectacular. Here's hoping!!

21. lawnmowerman603

Jun 23, 2002
    I checked the wiki and it said they're waiting until the technology becomes inexpensive enough to implement before they re-release theatrically in 3D. Still, seeing as how they've been talking about it for a good three years now and 2010 is a ways away, I think that's a reasonable date to expect it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.