main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

late 70s to early 90s saturday morning cartoons

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by beezel26, Jun 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    thats right relive your memories of all your coolest scifi, fantasy and just plain weird cartoons you watched as a kid.

And dont feel old. Just feel good that you got to watch some really good cartoons that no one wants to make anymore.

Thundercats, Pole position, Voltron, transformers, Gi joe, he man, She ra, Mr T and his gymnastic team,Lasertag, Star Wars Droids, Ewoks, G force, Speed Racer, Jabberjaw, Josie and the pussy cats, Scooby Doo and all the his friends. Laugh Olympics.

many more I just cant think of them.

and isnt sad that we as parents and adults watched more cartoons then our kids. There was a time I could wake up at 6:30 in the morning and watch Kaptain Kangaroo and keep watching cartoons all the way to one oclock. and sometimes even later. And this wasnt even on cable.

it was on NBC, CBS, and ABC.

2. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I'd have to say my favourite was Transformers, but a few more off the top of my head that I remember Ghostbusters, Galaxy Rangers, Gargoyles and Batman of course.

3. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Saturday morning cartoons aren't really dead. Most all networks still show stuff. Maybe not quite as much as when I was a kid (still runs from about 7:00 to noon though) but then again when I was a kid they didn't have 24 hr cartoon channels, and I've got 4 of them now :p

4. SpreadtheMuse

SpreadtheMuse Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2006
    Drak Pack
    The descendents of Dracula, Wolfman, and Frankenstein's monster (teenagers all) use their superpowers to fight the evil forces of Dr. Dred with his Mummy Man, Vampira, Toad, and Fly.

Best cartoon of 1981.

5. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I remember when NBC use to rule Saturday mornings. Then they took all their kid programming away in favor of a Saturday version of the Today Show. [face_plain]

Smurfs, Alf, Saved by the Bell (not Sci - Fi I know, but still......_), all the other golden oldies of the 80's/90's. I wish NBC would jump back into the Saturday Morning cartoon business.

6. Darthhelmut

Darthhelmut Jedi Master star 2

Sep 14, 2004
    Cartoons are totally different these days, kids dont want Xmen and the Hulk...they want Timmy Turner and Danny Phantom....it really sucks.

7. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    i liked the animated series of Spiderman and X-Men on saturday mornings in the early to mid 90s

8. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    you missed M.A.S.K. - I loved that one, and it sparked a collection of supercool toys.

Probably worth a mint now - pity I don't have the boxes, and played with the toys till they broke. Oh wait, that's what you are supposed to do with them ;)

[image=http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/m/masktoy1.jpg]

I had this one :-

[image=http://www.weaintcool.com/pictures/maskthunderhawk.jpg]

and this one :-

[image=http://www.weaintcool.com/pictures/maskswitch.jpg]

9. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    Gargoyles was on saturday mornings? :confused:

10. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I seem to remember GI Joe, Transformers, Thundercats, He-man, and Robotech as being shows I'd come home to watch after school. Saturday mornings were devoted to Superfriends, Thundar the Barbarian, Smurfs, and Dungeons and Dragons to name a few.

11. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I miss the old school Saturday mornings. Being able to sit down and watch all my favorites. I'd watch Muppet Babies, Alvin & The Chipmunks, for a time the Smurfs, Alf, The Real Ghostbusters, Bettlejuice, Thundar The Barbarian, Captian N, Super Mario Brothers, Superman (89-90), Looney Toons, Dungeons & Dragons, Super Powers, Scooby Doo in one of his incarnations, Spider-Man (82-85), Hulk (83-85) & X-Men (92-97). I loved getting up to watch those shows as a kid. Those were good times in my book. I liked it when in the mid 90's when Spider-Man was on, along with the Tick, Batman and Life With Louie on Fox, in the mornings. Then we have Batman Beyond & Superman at the turn of the century. I tried X-Men Evolution, but it wasn't as good in most respects. Sundays had Looney Toons in most markets. USA Network, which had Cartoon Express during the week showed the classic Hanna Barbera stuff, would dedicate Sunday mornings to all cartoons they had in their catalogue.

During the week I would watch Hanna Barbera on USA, Transformers, Thundercats, The Real Ghostbusters, Batman, Super Friends, Masters Of The Universe and Princess Of Power. Yes, I watched that because it was connected to He-Man. I liked it when Cartoon Network had Saturday Nights dedicated to many of the shows I grew up on, either repeats or the new versions. Now it's not even the same. I don't like The Batman as it is inferior to the 92-06 DCAU. None of the current shows on their are worth watching for me. It's sad how the good stuff gets bumped to another network or not shown at all.

12. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    I have to agree with you. I don't know, maybe it's just part of getting old, but I hate the new shows for the most part. The Batman is a joke, and have you seen what Warner Bros. has done to our Looney Tunes? They're freakin' costumed teenage superheroes now! :mad:

13. JediPrettyBoy

JediPrettyBoy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 10, 2005
    Great show! Loved Myles Mayhem's jet/chopper, but my favorite character was the bad guy on the red motorcycle. He looked like Sting from Dune with a cool helmet that allowed his hair to spike out of the top of it.

14. RedHanded_Jill

RedHanded_Jill Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2004
    how about dr. shrinker, and electro woman and dyna girl, and isis. i can remember thinking that i was gonna grow up and become electro woman and save the world. why dont they put that stuff on dvds?

15. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Mask Rocked as well.

16. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Like most cartoons from the era its actually the other way around. The cartoon started in order to sell the toys. For most of the 80's we were just getting 30 min commercials interspersed with commercials for other stuff :p

M.A.S.K. has largely missed out on the 80's revival. You can get the toys for pretty cheap. Especially compared to most of the figure lines from the time that are now part of a mini revival due to the large disposable incomes from our generation (though I wish I had one...large disposable income, not action figures).

17. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    Well technically I used to watch in the afternoons, I just threw it in cause I liked it.

18. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Right there with you Jill (Lisa). I grew up on that schmaltzy Saturday morning sci-fi stuff. I remember dressing as Isis by putting a belt around one of my dad's t-shirts. :p

Why has no one mentioned:

[image=http://www.tvcrazy.net/tvclassics/wallpaper/cartoons/misc/land_of_lost.jpg]
    Will [face_love]

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I have fond memories of most of those cartoons.

20. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    USA cartoon train-you know you're old if you remember that!

21. weezer

May 16, 2001
    A show that ran '80-'98 is old o_O :p

And it was Cartoon Express ;)

22. Queen_Pixie

Queen_Pixie Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 1999
    thank you!! I couldn't remember the name of it, I just remember watching cartoons everyday after school on USA.

23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yeah, I mentioned Cartoon Express earlier. I do remember sitting down in 85-86 and watching those classics that I never got to see. Such as Dyna-Mutt and Speed Buggy. Good times.

Yeah, I saw a bit of those Looney Toons action series. A disgrace. Friz Freeling and all the others are spinning in their graves. At least Duck Dodgers was funny as hell. Helped by Paul Dini being one of the creative minds, since he also did Tiny Toons. Loved the Green Lantern episode.

[image=http://rogers-md.net/v/wallpapers/Green_Loontern_-_Duck_Dodgers.jpg]

24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Duck Dodgers was freaking comic gold. Shame CN doesn't show it much anymore. Thats a DVD set I'd like to get.

I was surprised that WB even moved forward with Loonitics Unleashed when one of the most vocal opponents was an 11 year-old boy. Its been a ratings winner for them so apparently he wasn't representative of the demographic :p

I don't think there is anything inherently wrong with it. I've seen a couple and wasn't particular impressed but didn't find them an affront to all that is good.

That reminds me of another great spin-off cartoon they did. Taz-Mania.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I wouldn't mind Duck Dodgers on DVD as well. Never saw the series when I lived in the USA (I moved to the UK in 1989) but Boomerang runs a half-hour of it a day here in the UK. The episode The Fudd has to be a classic. Boomerang also run Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry daily.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.