main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Late Night Musings (Vignette; Leia wonders about Mara, and her relationship with Luke)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obaona, May 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Hmm ... the title kind of attracted me and I thought I might as well give it a read while I have five minutes to spare and nothing else to do. ;)

Luke: I thought you did well on his characterization. Contrary to popular belief, he's working his way up to being Yoda of the NJO. [face_mischief] It just seems so like him to be aware of Leia yet not say anything about it until the last instant.

Mara: Well, there isn't much about her in this story, but I was kind of confused there for a while. I thought you said Luke was sleeping on a couch, so I found it kind of odd, considering what little place there must be on the couch with Luke "sleeping" on it, that Mara would come in and find the place to sleep beside him without falling down onto the floor. Hmm.... Interesting.

Leia: Well, I found her a little awkward to read her in a couple of places, but she was mostly well-done (IMHO, of course).

Good jog, obaona.

Aunecah

2. JainaJag00

JainaJag00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    I mouthed, ?Little brother.? And he mouthed back at me: ?Little sister.?

awww! great viggie, obaona! i like how leia was comparing them to herself and han at the beginning but then stopped to just see them as they are. i like how mara came in at the end to lay with luke on the couch. very nice!

-jj00

3. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    joy_noel: Ah ha! You think Luke is younger, do you? :p Well . . . :p And thanks. :D

maramijade: I'm glad you were pleasantly surprised. ;) So, you always wondered, hmm? ;) Good thing this story came along, then. [face_mischief]

Sock_of_Darth_Vader: *watches Cat duck Emmi's wrath* :p Another person that thinks Luke is younger? :eek: He's older. :p Because I say so. ;) And thank you! :)

Aunecah_Skywlker: Well, I hope you normally give stories you review more than five minutes. ;) I don't think you were quite paying attention - Mara lies on top of Luke, not beside him. And this is more about Luke and Mara than Leia, despite it being from her POV. And thank you. :) And I don't jog. ;)

JainaJag00: Thanks! :D I've seen people compare Han and Leia to Luke and Mara, and personally I've never thought it a valid comparison, which is probably why the vignette has that part. And I just couldn't get that image out of my head. 8-} ;)

4. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I knew I was overdue to visit the 'Beyond the Saga' board. Sweet little vignettes have been sitting here waiting.

Great job -- it's perfectly logical that Leia would want to protect her 'little' brother from heartache, especially from someone as hard to understand as Mara. And even though WE might find out who is older when Episode III gets here, Luke and Leia themselves still won't know.

5. Aunecah_Skywalker

Aunecah_Skywalker Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 25, 2002
    Well, if you've ever read stories that I read regulary, you know that I usually read at some 1800 WPM unless it's one of those awfully (in a good way, of course) enticing stories that just force you crawl through each and every word at the pace of a snail. So that's probably why I missed Mara lying on top of Luke.

As far as jog goes - My bad. Meant to say "Job." [face_blush]

Anyway: Great Job, obaona. :)

Aunecah

6. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    Jedi-2B: Thank you. [face_blush] :D And yes, Mara is not a simple person. Luke, you just kind of know how trustworthy and good he is - with Mara, it's more difficult to tell. And what sister shouldn't be protective of her brother? ;) Personally, I hope we find out who is older. Just 'cause. :p

Aunecah_Skywalker: I . . . see. Well, you should stop doing that - as a writer, you should know how much effort goes into every word, and simply passing it by is dismissing that work. :)

7. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
  8. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    1) Luke is older. Because *I* say so. (And so does the official Star Wars website!)

2) Actually, Cat, I agree with you. You don't have to dodge my wrath unless I hear some real Mara-bashing, and I know you wouldn't do that unless I was nowhere in sight. ;)

Leia would have a hard time accepting Mara. As Luke's twin, she'd have to...I mean, she may be his twin, but she can't read his mind. (Not all the time, anyway.) She can't know everything that's been going on. So naturally she's going to be worried about her brother suddenly announcing he's going to marry a woman raised by a psychopath to be the perfect assassin.

(Luckily for Luke, not quite perfect.)

3) I DEMAND ARCHIVAL!!! I'll beta if you want me to, even! (After I finish Gabi's IP and Moony's Hanging Hopes) PLEASE! Oba! There are only five or six Luke and Mara stories even in the archive...PLEASE?!?!?!

*begs and pleads and even dares to whine a little*

9. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    That was just truly lovely. You captured them perfectly. :)

10. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Awwwwww! So sweet!

11. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    *didn't realize there were more comments* [face_blush]

Emmi: I've also always been of the opinion that Luke is older. I hope Ep. III confirms it. ;) I agree on your assessment of Leia, Luke, and Mara. ;)

Immediate, eh? That assumes it would get in! :p I'm probably going to submit it soon - LP has beta-ed it, and Burkie is going to soon. :) So, I'm submitting! :p And you're betaing Hanging Hopes? Neat. :D

Sara_Kenobi: Thank you. :D

Daughter_of_Yubyub: Thanks!! :D :D

12. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Another up for one of my very favorite vignettes. :D

13. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Very nicely written, obaona. :) I'm having a bit on an insomia attack, so I'm thrilled I stumbled on this to distract me. This was exactly the kind of thing I was longing for after reading the HoT duology! VotF left off almost immediately after Luke and Mara had returned. As I recall, they were at a party or something, but we were never able to observe anyone else's reaction to their relationship, or at least not for an extended period of time.

You write Leia very coherently and distinctively; I can definitely tell that it's her. :) I liked the construction of the piece as well: The introduction grabbed my attention and let me know what the flashback was going to be about.

So I was understandable concerned when my brother comes home, after an intergalactic crisis that he disappeared in the middle of to rescue Mara, and tells me that he?s going to marry a woman he?s never even dated.

This line made me laugh for some reason. It's so wry, and so very 'Leia'! I really enjoyed this vignette, obaona, thanks for sharing it. :)

14. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    LadyMairead: Firstly, sorry it took so long to reply to your reply. ;) A combination of not knowing Gabri had upped the fic and my own lazyness. [face_blush]

I remember reading VotF, just totally looking forward to Han and Leia's reaction ("You're marrying HER?!" - or something ;) ), and then finding nothing! It was sort of disappointing.

I also like that line. ;) Though, it wasn't until I wrote it that I realized Luke never really did date Mara! :eek: Kind of funny that it never even occurred to me that that would be the normal way of doing things. ;)

Thank you. :) I'm glad you enjoyed the story. :D

15. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    This was lovely. I saw the review in the review challenge and thought I'd take a look. I'm very glad I did. I liked that Leia finally realized that she and Han were not the same couple as Luke and Mara - and that they had their own way of dealing with each other....

Liked the ending. It was sweet! Good job.

16. obaona

Jun 18, 2002
    dianethx: I saw this had been replied to and thought "Huh?" :p ;) The review challenge thing is good - I've found some good fics that way, certainly. I'll have to thank the person who reviewed me. ;)

I'm glad you enjoyed. :) I've always thought H/L and L/M are very different from each other, and have different ways of relating. This was a fun way of viewing Luke and Mara, for me. :)

Anywho, thank you! :D

17. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    *offers chocolate and roses!*

Belated Valentine's Day UP!

I really love this viggie because it's one of the very few in which I really like Leia. When you make Leia likable for me, you know you've really accomplished something. And such a sweet moment for Luke and Mara. Hooray!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.