main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Latest AC Update

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Jay, Aug 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    'Tis the season to start a petition, you know. [face_mischief]

2. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Thinking of Down with Diapers?

3. MrEmh

MrEmh Jedi Youngling star 2

May 14, 1999
    "Up with Farraday" or "Sideways to Victory!"

4. 1stPersonPlural

1stPersonPlural Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2001
    Please keep all diapers up. At least until you're in the privacy of your own home.

Thank you in advance.

5. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    please dispose of your dirty diapers accordingly.

we need farraday back.

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Getting farraday back would be one of the best moves for the JCC. He is the only JCC mod in recent times to actually give a damn. He wanted the place to be better...he wanted higher levels of posting...he wanted more discussion...less spam...he wanted better conduct of all members, mods included.

Something many mods nowadays either dont care about, or just wont make the effort for.

All too often mods now are happy to sit there with their colours and think that all is good...they are mods, so all is complete in the cyberworld. Happy that they can post what they want. Happy that they can lock what they want.
    There is no rhyme or reason in their decisions or in their posting...its all what they feel like, on a whim. Inconsistent decisionmaking. Irresponsible posting. Bad judgement. Being very very poor role models for other posters.
    They have a responsibility to act in the best interests of the boards, yet act as if they have the right to ignore or attack everything that isnt in their personal best interests. Its selfish moderation.
    They dont want things to change because they know that any improvements in the boards might make them look bad as they are, like they arent any use. So they want the status quo (at best). The problem is the 'status quo' is difficult to maintain, and trying to keep the status quo is a vain practice that results in worsening conditions.

The problem is that the JCC and the JC as a whole isnt productive or strong when this is the situation. Getting farraday back is a good start. Let him do his best to improve the place. If not farraday, then new, stronger policies with accompanying new mods.

After this step...well, a strong 'shape up or ship out' should be issued to the 'dead-wood' mods that treat the place poorly.

But we are all digressing (mainly me)....this is the AC update thread ;)

7. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Good update guys!!!!!!!

8. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Thanks for the update, Jay. It would be nice if the next one could come along in a fortnight or so, at least if there's quite a bit of news coming along.

It's too bad about R.A., though...we'll miss him.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    Wonderful Work Jay and the rest of the AC :)

Shinjo! :)

10. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    IMO, the best moderators are the ones the general pop thinks are @$$e$. Chyren, Bra, Bane, farraday, etc. They didn't care what others thought about them, they did what they thought was right for the JC and if that meant going against the grain, then so be it.

11. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    Getting either Chyren, farraday, or PreacherBoy back as JCC mods would go a loooong way towards cleaning up the JCC.

But as I think Liz posted a long time ago: Does the JCC need cleaning up? Why is it always the old and midbies who think the JCC needs cleaning up? Because they remeber a time when it was better? Boards adapt and change. Does it need such a refit?

I don't think Black is the status of the JCC, it's better than that. I also don't think white is the status, it's worse than that. But the question is, how far to either side is the JCC really leaning?

¤Night

12. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    But as I think Liz posted a long time ago: Does the JCC need cleaning up? Why is it always the old and midbies who think the JCC needs cleaning up? Because they remeber a time when it was better? Boards adapt and change. Does it need such a refit?

The problem isn't the change in the JC, it's the failure of the mods to set specifics for the JCC. Farraday tried did this in his tenure and the JCC ran fine. Is there SW related topics allowed in the JCC? I thought no, but I've seen one or two floating around. Are games topics allowed? They weren't but a few threads have popped up.

So are we going to see a new policy set that says we're allowed to post SW-related and games topics in JCC? Of course not, it would take away the need for a Games and SW Misc forum. So then why are these topics allowed to go on?

Right now the JCC is a car on cruise control with no one behind the wheel. It's still going, but a crash is coming. We need someone to grab the wheel and steer the JCC away from the trees.

As it stands right now the JCC is the only forum without specific guidelines. We need to know what's allowed and what's not.

13. Saint_of_Killers

Saint_of_Killers Jedi Youngling star 5

Feb 18, 2001
    "Some talk about PB's perm ban. Mostly it was just clarification on why he was banned, what kind of ban, etc."

Why exactly was he banned? I can understand(and agree with) his demotion, but as long as he has no power, he's a good member, IMO.

"the mods are tired are answering the same questions over and over . . . No wonder they get frustrated."

That's part of what mods do. If they don't like answering questions they should step down.

14. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    I didn't agree with everything farraday did, but at least he jumped all over spam threads like this one.

15. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    First of all...the BYS isn't a SPAM thread. It's a social thread. The YJCC is where social threads belong. Perhaps you should know the situation before you make assumptions.

16. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    the BYS isn't a SPAM thread. It's a social thread.

I thought social thread = spam thread.

;)

17. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    Well...if it is SPAM, it's community-building SPAM.

18. Jay

Jay Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 1, 1998
    S_o_K, the most simple reason was given by cbjedi: "It would be more due to his past history of flaming and being antagonistic."

As for YJCC not having any specific guidelines, that's because its a misc. forum. It is a place to discuss "everything else." But, because it is a misc. forum, you can't really get rid of threads just because they fit better in another forum, everything can be talked about in YJCC -- as long as it doesn't break the TOS.

19. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Umm, that link wasn't/isn't to the BYS thread.

20. Master Salty

Apr 18, 1999
    There is some BYS bashing in that thread you linked to. I thought you were referring to the BYS thread. I'm sorry for the mistake.

21. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    Mod Evaluations....Really, I had my evaluation for Gandolf in during June...if you havent got them done yet, thats pretty damned slack.
    Hell, we are still waiting to hear about Liz's evaluation. Are you guys making them public or not?

Mine is done, and has been for some time. So is the evaluation of Liz. I?ve suggested that it be posted in this forum, and that if there is worry that it might cause Drama then the topic should be created locked. I don?t think that anyone has replied to my suggestion.

Petition your AC members to make Mod evaluations public! ;)

22. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000

Why is it the oldbies and midbies? Because we are the ones that can see the changes, and can best judge whether they are for the better or worse.

Boards do adapt and change, but when it changes for the worse, you have to do your best to stop this happening.

23. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    Honestly, I went into the JCC just yesterday, and I found (only!) 1 thread on the 2nd page and 2 threads on the third page that I found interesting. None on the first page at all.

Now, as Dagsy says, Because we are the ones that can see the changes, and can best judge whether they are for the better or worse. It's 100% true. Those of us who can speak of times when we could find at least 10 interesting threads on the first page of the JCC know that something is going for the worse.

Yes, boards adapt and change. There is no doubt about that. We have also tried to accept the changes as best as we can. Nowadays there's the Welcome New Users forum, the Census forum, the Senate Floor, the Amphitheatre for more serious/specific discussion of topics. And we have accepted that. But if all this is going to come at the price of making the JCC go seriously downhill, then some action needs to be taken against it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. mac-nut

mac-nut Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 14, 2001
    Now, Val, everyone, each user has his/her own interests. Just because you could only find one or two that you like doesn't mean the forum has gone to the dumpster. I only post to 3 or so threads in the first 3-4 pages of the index, but that is because the other topics don't interest me. As the serious stuff is now posted in other forums, such as the senate, the JCC has more light hearted stuff, albeit stuff I'm not usually interested in. and the board has alot of users with light hearted interests or interests of the heart. Nothing wrong with that. They need someplace to post these kinds of topics, too. The mods/managers will continually work to keep the redundancy to a minimum, with everyone's help. and it would help if we posted more often to those topics we are interested in, to keep them on top, too. and, don't forget to start threads more interesting to you, so there will be more threads of substance that you like. don't forget, substance is in the eye of the beholder.

25. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > No posting? Thats crazy...then comms becomes the Announcements forum. You cant repress the members rights to have their say.

That was not what was proposed at all.

What was proposed was that members could START topics, but only Mods could reply - thus eliminating the chats and the drama that a good percentage of Comms threads degenerate into. Communications between Mods and members would still happen. And after all a member who starts a thread is rarely satisfied until a mod has taken the time to answer.

However, after consulatation with the AC, this idea was dropped quickly, so making comments like "You cant repress the members rights to have their say" now are totally pointless.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.