main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Gives a bigger indication to me on how often she was on set (production time) to form friendships.
    So I'm thinking she doesn't have much screen time.

2. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2016
    I would not worry about it, quite a few of the cast of VIII don't even have twitter accounts lol.

Big Boss likes this.
  3. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

That's not a good indication of Laura Dern's screen time. Like at all.

Big Boss and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm, like, so disappointed that Laura Dern doesn't, like, go to the same gym as Daisy Ridley. That's like, so not cool.

5. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Very funny guys.
    But come on, she doesn't even follow Rian.

6. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    Would be wierd if she did, he could sue her for stalking, or something. [face_clown]

cerealbox likes this.
  7. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

I guess that means she's not in Episode VIII at all.

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Only because they are doin a movie together it does not necessarily mean they are a "Waltons"-like happy family.
    Maybe Laura and Daisy do not even meet each other during production.

jaqen likes this.
  9. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004

Yep. For those of us in particular who've worked productions we know that, at the end of the day, it really is just a job. A job similar to any other job in some key ways. Some people you grow close to, but for the most part, you log your time, collective a check and move on.

Regardless, Twitter isn't indicative of a damn thing. I don't follow tons of people who are actually close to me in real life.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Hollywood is still waiting for a bromance between Kenny Baker and Anthony Daniels since day 1 8-}

jaqen likes this.
  11. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I've been thinking about the rumors from spring about Laura Dern's character.

Does she take over the resistance because she feels with Leia injured, she's the best fit?

Or (Bloodline novel spoilers) does she not trust Leia anyway because of her lineage?

Baron_Papanerd likes this.
  12. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Maybe, just maybe, she blames Leia and her little band for aggravating the First Order into destroying the Republic? As far as I know (and I have not read any of the new EU) the First Order had not infringed on the Republic and had just been doing their thing in the Outer Rim and Unknown Regions. I'm presuming that Dern's character is the highest ranking Republic Military type and she has taken command of what's left of the Republic Fleet. She knows that Leia was distrustful of the First Order and presumes that she may have initiated a first strike against them leading to the use of SKB on the Hosnian System.

13. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003

Maybe she just didn't like many of them. :p Or she just is not the kind of person that just adds people just cos she worked on a recent film with them... [face_dunno]

But I agree I wouldn't worry about that being a sign of her amount of screentime. If the way TFA turned out could be anything to go by, its clear that (although we'd like to think we do) we all have NO idea about what amount of screen time the different characters might ultimately have-or if they are even IN the final film.

jaqen and cerealbox like this.
  14. Rey_

Rey_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 30, 2015
    I am friends wih lots of my colleagues, but I don't follow them on social media. I even work with some of them for 6 hours or more every day.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Totes, Rey_.

I'm the same. I work with like 10 people on a daily basis, and I see each of them for at least 8 hours a day, a couple of them I've known for several years-I get along with all of them quite well, but I'm only FB friends with one of them. I'm also not one of those people to just 'friend' people just cos I met them on a vacation in Florida, or they cut my hair, or I sat with them during jury duty or whatever. Though I know people like that...

Darth_Voider likes this.
  16. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Possibly but how would all of this fit into the story the movie will be telling? Also will there really be enough time to include a subplot about Dern's character blaming Leia and how will that serve to benefit the overall plot of the movie? I'm just thinking out loud here so to speak.

Dern's character blames Leia for the First Order's attack on the Hosnian System. As a result the Resistance becomes persona non grata to the New Republic and the Resistance are left to fight against the First Order on their own. I could maybe see that but wouldn't the Republic need the Resistance to protect them from the First Order more than ever? Then again maybe the Republic will effectively give up and try to placate the First Order. Maybe Dern's character will argue that after losing so many planets the Republic should acquiesce to the First Order.

I don't know...I think a subplot about a rift between the Resistance and the Republic with Dern's character playing a key part might work but I feel like it could over-stuff the movie and could be too disconnected from all the other subplots. Plus Star Wars movies and politics don't have a great track record. A Dern/political power play story could really bog down the movie.

Then again this is the middle chapter of a trilogy so it's pretty much a given that the good guys are going to be at a disadvantage by the end of it. Dern effectively cutting the Resistance loose could play a part in that disadvantage.

17. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Make it a 3 hour movie Lucasfilm!

But seriously, from what we know, this is Leia 's and Poe's storyline in the film so whenever we see them, this is what they'll be dealing with. They won't be involved really in the Ahch-To and Dubrovnik plots from what we know.

18. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Ah good to know. For some reason I assumed that Poe would be part of the Dubrovnik storyline.

19. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    Poe might be the one to drop (or pickup) Finn on Dubrovnik, and Luke and company may have a force vision of Leia while on Ahch-To, but that's it.

The Laura Dern stuff is where Poe and Leia will mostly be.

20. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000
    The Resistance only consisted of a couple of squadrons of X-Wings before the attack on SKB and the Republic would not have lost all of it's Fleet in the attack on the Hosnian System. I think it's going to be a power grab by Dern's character one way or another with her and Poe butting heads over the next 'crucial' move.

21. cerealbox

May 5, 2016
    I have to admit. If I were in the resistance and it was revealed that Leia is Kylo Ren's mother on top of already being outed as Darth Vader's daughter, then I would join Laura Dern's faction than stay a loyalist to Leia.

22. silver springs

silver springs Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 14, 2016

Most likely quite a few ppl will feel this way. I expect to see a lot of fractures politically in VIII both within and outside of the Resistance

cerealbox likes this.
  23. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015

in the Poe Dameron comic Leia sends Poe to look for Lor San Tekka (so thats the lead in to TFA) where the villain in that series infringes on the agreements in place. however it hasnt finished yet, so theres more that could be revealed - apparently theres a spy - well thats the leading theory atm - within the Black Squadron that keeps feeding info to the FO (which this villain is from).
    So i Dern character goes the direction you speak of (which i like btw) it would explain why Poe (in the same rumour i believe) goes against her/sides with Leia, since he knows the truth, rather than just siding with Leia with having no reason other than personal relationship. and if the Dern is playing the type of character i think she will - shes going to come across as a reeaall *****

CrazyOldJedi likes this.
  24. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I wonder if and/or how Carrie's death will affect the storyline of Laura's character in Episode IX.

25. CrazyOldJedi

Oct 29, 2000

Not at all, filming has finished.