main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    If we are to assume that Holdo is in command of the Raddus when we first meet her and that the Raddus is a Resistance ship then how will the 'butting of heads' play out? Any sign of Holdo overstepping her mark and she is outranked by not only Leia (in overall charge of the Resistance) but also Admirals Ackbar and Statura. Theoretically all three of these stalwarts of the Rebellion/Resistance would have to be out of the way before Poe challenges Holdo's command. Something does not quite add up.

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    from leia novel, holdo is an out-of-the-box kind of thinker and sometimes people think she is saying fluffy nonsensical things. poe is so much more practical than that, so i could see conflict arising there.

i want to try to figure out how holdo could somehow be something of a turncoat, but i haven't really successfully been able to do that.

3. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000

I can't postulate on her reasons for doing so but the only time I can see her betraying the Resistance is possibly transmitting the location of the Raddus to the F.O.. It looks pretty much like the fleet gets attacked and more or less obliterated so she would have to have pretty strong reasons for doing so as it would probably mean sacrificing herself.

4. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    Would Holdo be the type to surrender if she can't find any other options to spare more death?

I'm asking. I didn't read the novels that introduced her.

5. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i don't think rey and kylo are like the chosen one. luke (according to MH) mistakenly thought ben solo was the chosen one. i think this is because he could sense the force wasn't in balance and here is ben solo on the chosen one's lineage displaying powers to the likes luke has never seen. so he may have decided that the prophesy hadn't been fulfilled and that ben solo was the one who would finally bring balance.

but i think what really happened is that the prophesy was fulfilled by anakin, but snoke was lying in wait and he began corrupting the balance. and it's possible he'd been waiting for the chosen one to do their thing because that's when he can come in and manipulate things the best.

after the chosen one balances the force, and pretty much all the jedi and sith are gone save luke, the force "reboots." rey is the light component and kylo is the dark component. it's like the force has chosen its champions or something. and i think the force would do this regardless of people being related or not... it doesn't need lineage for this to happen. it's a recurring cycle.

however, the mortis arc does have the father, daughter and son. the father is like the chosen one in that he can balance both the daughter and the son (who were basically the previous light and dark embodiments in the force). he wanted anakin to take his place balancing both sides, but anakin didn't want to and the mortis arc eventually ended with all three of them dead (thus the force was not thrown out of balance by the son being alive and the daughter being dead).

so anyway in the mortis arc the children of a chosen one are the dark and light embodiments. so you could argue that it *is* lineage related. but i don't really think it has to be.

another thing i was considering is that snoke may be so powerful he could have balanced the daughter and son, and likewise he can overpower both rey and kylo put together. this makes me wonder if he is a corrupt former "chosen one." i had assumed that when the chosen one comes it will bring balance no matter what - but i think this is about the title 'chosen one' more than anything else. the prophesy is about a figure who will bring balance at a particular time. but i think that in the force some uber powerful being like anakin or snoke or the father has arisen over and over. it cycles. this figure can balance the force on the good side, or destroy the balance entirely on the bad side. anakin fulfilled the chosen one prophesy because he came back to the light. the prophesy was about him specifically so he was destined to balance the force no matter what (but that also meant he was destined to come back to the light if he did fall to the dark).

another thing to consider was that vader became less of a corrupting force than he could have because obi-wan destroyed half of him in ROTS. that meant he was no longer uber powerful (not like he would have been). but whoever on the light was there to counter snoke when he originally arose completely failed to block him in a lasting way. maybe they entombed him, idk. but they didn't do anything to decrease his power.

i feel like snoke must have been in the UR and calling to darth sidious because he knew that sidious's end was coming and the chosen one was about to succeed and this is his time to corrupt things again (after all this goes down). so he did enough to get sidious to send the remains of the empire to him where they inevitably found him and freed him from his imprisonment. so his next step is to get a handle on the force's new dark and light avatars when they arise. he knew ben solo was one of them. the other he knows is the awakening.

snoke wants to keep the force out of balance, so he will want to destroy rey if she is the light avatar. it's quite possible you cannot turn the light avatar. you have to destroy it. unless you can... i really am not sure how this works. because ben solo i think could have went either way maybe. so actually i take that back. it's still possible he's trying to turn rey to the dark side.

6. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    What does all of that have to do with Admiral Holdo?

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  7. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    crap i thought this was the rey thread... sorry!

i am totally approving of mods deleting that post as i'll repost in the rey thread...

8. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
  9. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    She looks so out of place in a SW film... Send her back to Hunger Games or Harry Potter! Ugh

10. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Yeah no, this is far from the weirdest character in a SW film. It's only the hair, big deal.

11. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Purple skinned alien = not weird. Purple hair = weird for some. Go figure.

12. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Yeah, that's totally The Hunger Games and completely different from previously established costumes... Oh wait. She looks more like Leia than anything, colors aside.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    C'mon. Was General Madine's hair really any better?

[​IMG]

Also, reading some comments by fans, you'd think they had never seen anyone with funky-colored hair until the Hunger Games movies were released. That franchise does not have a monopoly on pink and purple hairdye, folks.

14. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I'm just not a fan... [face_dunno]

Mostly Handless and Gigoran Monk like this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Fair enough. I’d just rather give Dame Edna, and not Hunger Games, credit for the hairstyle. :)

16. DarthTedTheodoreLogan

DarthTedTheodoreLogan Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 10, 2015
    I don't think she looks out of place in the universe, but I do think she looks out of place in that room. I have a feeling she's supposed to.

17. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    [​IMG]

Somehow she reminds me on Dame Edna

18. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Yeah!

Darth Smurf and Avnar like this.
  19. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Yep, I think you're right.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  20. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    I thought a New Republic, presumably the main one—was destroyed with Hisnian Prime. But that doesn’t mean the entire fleet was, does it? And the member systems have their peacekeeping forces after Mon Mothma demilitarized the NR. So the NR isn’t contributing anything. The Resistance is on its own.

21. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Holdo is definitely an eccentric. The Leia novel makes that clear. Most people write her off as flightynand wierd, but Leia gets to know her...

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  22. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I suppose not. However, 3PO mentions in TFA that the entire Republic Fleet is destroyed (which is why they don't get support from it in the SKB attack). However, 3PO could be an unreliable source of information...

23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Or the rest of the fleet was just too far away to get there in time perhaps?

24. grungebunny

grungebunny Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jul 20, 2005
  25. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    He can be unreliable in 6 million languages. However, would the NR have their entire fleet in one location? And the majority of defense forces should be the equivalent of National Guard or Home Guard—planetary system defenses, who were the only defense of the Republic until AOTC, except with the Judicial Forces and Jedi..