main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Jozgar

Jozgar Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    And shouldn’t the Planetary Defense Forces supposed to be much more significant in this timeframe than in TPM, seeing as how they were an explicit part of New Republic military doctrine and that large scale war is a recent memory rather than a distant one (thus encouraging more preparation)?

The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  2. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Maybe. But in Bloodlines, it appears the war is a distant memory for most. The right-wing Centrists, however, want a stronger centralized military. How many stayed in the Republic or how many joined the First Order I don’t know. And the FO need not follow the Galactic Concordance. Even so, even if the FO were to comprise former Core/Inner Rim Centrist or Imperial Remnant worlds and implement military a buildup, the NR doesn’t seem to see them as a threat.

Hence, Leia and the Resistance. I assume the Resistance are originally from Planetary Defenses from systems who share Leia’s concerns, and/or Outer Rim systems never affiliated with the Republic and even former Separatists who never joined the NR. And even if Poe were the best pilot in the NR Navy, he couldn’t take his ship with him or he’d be a deserter who stole government property. So is he on loan from a Planetary Defense force after having resigned his commission from the NR Navy?

I assume the NR are unaware of the FO’s origins in the UR, originally Rax and Rae’s fleets—and hopefully Thrawn’s—though it seems Imperial Remnant forces who didn’t accept the Galactic Concordance also fled there and the NR should be aware of that. Even so, the FO in th UR focused on improved quality of technology and stormtroopers—don’t want to lose to the Ewoks again. And while the SKB seems to be a scientifically implausible Death Star III and a rehash, it makes sense for the Empire-worshipping FO to use it for fear and as an equalizer.

EDIT:

According to SW Wikia

1. A substantial portion of the NR Starfleet was destroyed at HP. So, there are fleets that survived.

2. Leia formed the Resistance as a splinter group from the NR Military and was tolerated by the NR. Seems illegal.

3. Poe left the ME Starfleet and joined the Resistance at Leia’s invitation. So he got to take his ship with him?

4. Holdo is Resistance.

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    Aftermath and Bloodline made it clear that the New Republic decided on a purely defensive military force, so it makes sense that most (if not all) of the fleet was just sitting around Hosnian Prime. It's a lesson about the folly of isolationism in an interconnected, dangerous world. A lesson that's very relevant today.

4. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i don't think the war was a distant memory in 'bloodline.' a lot of the characters had old wounds (like casterfo) or were still romanticizing the empire. the senate turned against leia (after the reveal she was vader's bio daughter) so fast because all the wounds from vader/the empire were still fresh enough. fears of leia being another vader or a palpatine were running rampant in ostracizing leia from the senate.

maybe it's more a distant memory to younger people like rey who were born after it ended?

panki and El_Machete12 like this.
  5. ZY-Fighter

ZY-Fighter Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 1, 2017
    I get the feeling I really should read Bloodline and Leia.

6. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003

Yes. Yes. Do it! You'll be glad you did!! :)

ZY-Fighter likes this.
  7. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Well, SW Wikia says “substantial portion.” And it takes only 10% to decimate. If the NR didn’t wake up after HP,...

I only listened to the audiobook. But I thought Leia reminisced how she was older and could feel the war better better than many of her contemporaries. And the Centrists who idealized the Empire seemed to have forgotten the war. One exception is Ransolm, whom Leia misread.

Mostly Handless and oncafar like this.
  8. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
  9. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
  10. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    [​IMG]

Her smile is so sinister that I almost hear her saying to poor Poe: "Marry me or die" here.

Mostly Handless and Darth Smurf like this.
  11. RokurGepta

RokurGepta Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2010
    Interesting halo thing she’s got. Especially with those old rumors about Snoke being an angel from the moons of Iego.

12. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    I. Love. Her.

I am so stoked to see her on the big screen, especially after this article.

Ahsoka Blaster and T-R- like this.
  13. Xael

Xael Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2015

Haha, after reading the Leia novel, she looks like the sweetest person ever

Mostly Handless likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    I dunno, that does seem like a bit of a ****-eating grin to someone who is being constantly difficult.

15. N7Jedi

N7Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2016
    #Poldo confirmed

16. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Breznican says that Holdo is put in charge of the Resistance. We know that she brings the Fleet to D'Qar but even she will bow to Leia's greater experience. Although we have seen Leia on the bridge of the Raddus and later on Crait does something happen in between to her to take her out of the picture temporarily?

Sgt. Carver likes this.
  17. General_Leia_Organa

General_Leia_Organa Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 23, 2016
    sure sounds like it. Would certainly match up with that early rumor about Leia being in a coma and Holdo and Poe clashing over it

18. Tiberius.Ogden

Tiberius.Ogden Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 6, 2016
    We can say the same about admirals (Ackbar and "Lost Admiral'). If she is only viceadmiral, it means that they are somewhere else (or dead) ... And Leia is floating in the space, the force is keeping her alive (I am talking about old rumour). So maybe Holdo is in charge after destruction of Raddus (I still think that Ackbar will go down with the ship).

19. Sgt. Carver

Sgt. Carver Jedi Master star 4

Jul 27, 2015
    We know the Resistance is scrambling for the majority of the movie, maybe Leia has an off screen mission to get Crait battle ready and then secure refuge on Batuu for the remaining members.

20. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Hmmmm,

There's the pic of Leia and Holdo together which looks like they are greeting each other (on the Raddus). Then there's the conversation with Poe which surely has to be when the Supremacy attacks. They then evacuate and end up on Crait. There does not appear to be that much in between Evacuation and the flight to Crait - Finn wakes up, Poe, Finn and Rose plotting, Finn and Rose leave.....and that's about it. Even the (BTS) pics of Poe and Finn on the bridge seem to have Leia in attendance as well.

I actually think that Leia steps down and hands the command to Holdo whilst she gets over her personal issues.

21. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    That's a good explanation. I could see that. If Leia couldn't order people to fire on Kylo, for instance.

22. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017
    Her hair ornament reminds me of Padmé

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Revanfan1, T-R- and Mostly Handless like this.
  23. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    No. Not even a fingernail reminds me on Padme when I look at Holdo

dekaneas likes this.
  24. Eugene3

Mar 20, 2017
    I mean she have senate vibes.

Darth Smurf and Mostly Handless like this.
  25. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    New interview with Laura Dern and Oscar Isaac on YouTube...she is asked about Holdo's pink/purple hair and whether there is a meaning or reason why her hairstyle is like that. Laura hesitates but says she "thinks so" and says that it's part of who the character is. Oscar smiles.

Not to overreact over nothing, but first thought I had was...is this the gay character? There were rumors about Holdo making a comment about her sexuality to Leia in a book or something...