main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. StarWarsFan1997

StarWarsFan1997 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jun 22, 2005
    The party on Canto Bight seems to be an amalgamation of the Mos Eisley Catina/Jabba's Palace/Maz's Castle type of weird alien gallery and the something like the opera scene from Revenge of the Sith. Holdo's outfit in the BTS video looks like something I could see one of the extras wearing in this scene:

[​IMG]

2. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  3. Siphonophore

Siphonophore Chosen One star 4

Nov 13, 2003
    Laura Dern was on Colbert's show tonight, and she said Rian Johnson embarrassed her a few days ago when he told a story. When going through dailies, he noticed she was making pew-pew-pew blaster noises when Holdo was operating her blaster. They've taken that sound out, or so she has been told.

4. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    It's not that hard to expect that since she has played bad girls before.

5. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    That's stretching the definition of "babyface" way beyond its limits.

6. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    man. i hate commenting on appearance. but i love the holdo look.

if only she had carnivorous plants in her office. she shares information about them and what they eat and perhaps even strokes one adoringly, but the plants make most visitors to her office strangely uncomfortable.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  7. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
  8. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Ah, the "Star Wars actor makes silly noises inadvertently" story has been dusted off for the seven hundredth time. Guarantee it never happened

appleseed likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I, too, have grown cynical about this once treasured gem of BTS fun. It's gone from BTS to plain ol' BS. I'm starting to think it's a contractual obligation.

oncafar and CEB like this.
  10. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    I believe that in training Ewan once did it, and then was jokily told that they add the sound in. I don't believe that an actor on set filming has ever accidentally gone "pew pew" or done lightsaber noises. But that's just me being a miserable old git, it's a decent made up story to make filming sound fun

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I don't see why it's so implausible. Seems like a very common instinct when firing a fake laser gun or waving a fake laser sword.

Sure, it's possible that LFL instructs actors that a great way of deflecting questions/ avoiding accidentally revealing spoilers, or if they can't think of something to say, is to use this boilerplate story. But I don't think so. I think it's just something actors do. At least once. Either by accident or in jest.

my kind of scum and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I believed it the first few times I heard it, but it's been repeated so many times now that I've grown suspicious. I also never hear actors say this about any other sci-fi or fantasy film. I just have a hard time picturing an adult, professional actor doing such a thing. I would love to be wrong, btw.

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  13. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    Well, that may have to do with these sounds being far more iconic and culturally ingrained than those of other sci-fi or fantasy films...

my kind of scum likes this.
  14. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

:)

CEB likes this.
  15. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    What sounds from other franchises are more broadly recognized? :)

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well. I'm not really speaking of specific sounds. I'm just talking about the probability that all of these anecdotes about actors doing this are actually true. The first time I heard it was from Liam & Ewan talking about making lightsaber sounds during their training. I thought it was a funny story, and had no problem believing that it may have happened once or twice between them. But now several of the actors, in several of the films, have said this same thing. It's starting to sound like something they just say to get a laugh and deflect real questions. It's an anecdote meant to distract, because we fans put Star Wars up on a pedestal, and want to believe it.

CEB and Gigoran Monk like this.
  17. Gigoran Monk

Dec 2, 2016
    I certainly think that's a plausible scenario. But IMO it's just as plausible that a lot of actors actually do that. Just don't see any substantiated reason to assume actors are fibbing. Innocent until proven guilty.

Revanfan1 and jaqen like this.
  18. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    I've been on plenty of film sets where actors catch themselves doing it once or twice. Usually in rehursals or the first take.

19. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    It's not fitting with the dress code so they would not be allowed in. Black and White only.

20. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    11-4D likes this.
  21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    He wears it very well

22. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Rian Johnson: “The secrecy does have a purpose in that part of the fun with Laura’s character, with Admiral Holdo, is figuring out what her relationship is to everybody as you go along through the movie.” “I don’t want to tip the hat too much, but I will say that the heat is immediately turned up on the Resistance. Everybody is put in a pressure cooker right away, and relationships crack and strain under that pressure. That was really interesting to me, the notion of putting this small army under a lot of external pressure and showing some of the results within the Resistance itself.” (August 10, 2017)

23. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    It's odd that they make him cover it up in the ST. But I suppose his character is supposed to be younger.

24. starocean90

starocean90 Chosen One star 8

Feb 19, 2014
    wait, Haldo meets R2???[face_hypnotized]

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Holdo also on Ahch-To, being rejected by Luke, confirmed.

Master_Lok and oncafar like this.