main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo) in TLJ

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by CEB, Feb 15, 2016.

1. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Well, if Holdo takes control of the Resistance and Leia has to take a step down, I can already see some people being upset at the movie/Rian Johnson for ending Leia's character on a low note, but that's pretty ridiculous...nobody knew this would be her last film. That shouldn't matter at all. What I look for is her performance, and I'm sure it will be beautiful.

2. Ahsoka Blaster

Ahsoka Blaster Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 12, 2017
    Laura's interviews have been so awesome, I can't wait to see what she does with Amilyn Holdo.

3. LastJediKnight

LastJediKnight Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Most likely, yes.

Now take one guess as to who her partner could be. Rhymes with Asthma.

And as theorized, If Holdo is a) revealed to be gay and b) mother of Rey along with Phasma... bet your last dollar that I've railed it and Anakin is her biological father. At that point, it shouldn't be a question. A gay couple is the ideal place to talk about the problems of reproduction(since they can't on their own) that SW tends to delve into, along with dealing with the cultural stigma and issues around IVF. And if we're walking down that path, there is no reason for it to be Luke. They got the seed of The Chosen One and used it to create themselves a child, Rey. That's the story. By making her Anakin's daughter, it single-handedly solves every narrative issue with the Skywalkers.

But also remember that purple is made from two colors, Red + Blue. Red symbolizes evil, Blue symbolizes good. So what it could also be saying is that her character is a mix of Good(public side) and Evil(private side).

In theory, Holdo was likely always going to take control of the Resistance in this film. What else is there for her to do? That is pretty much her purpose. To be the 'inside man' for The First Order, Dooku-style, that basically brings The Resistance under TFO control by the end of 8.

Once that happens, they should crater the TFO on paper(the Order 66 of Episode 9 if you will), take off the masks, blame it on Rey & Friends, and take control of The Republic as the big heroes having defeated the TFO. TFO then becomes a scapegoat and everybody that doesn't agree with them being revealed to have been TFO, and then killed. Its gonna be sick what they pull off lol.

4. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    So to be clear...you're saying maybe Holdo and Phasma are a couple and Rey is their daughter, and Holdo is also a 3rd child of Anakin Skywalker? The first part I could see maybe, but I don't see Anakin having another child. But I guess you never know.

oncafar likes this.
  5. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015

Uh.. no. Rey is the final progeny of one Anakin Skywalker. Maybe you just misspoke there or I used too many pronouns. Either way, all in theory...

Holdo meets Phasma. They hook up.

Holdo discovers the location of the lost Imperial Research Station on Jakku. They smuggle out various things like the plans to Starkiller Base, tech for a new generation of human Stormtrooper, that type of thing.. that form the logistical basis of The First Order. Holdo becomes filthy rich as a result. One thing they also find is the seed of The Chosen One, left there as part of experiments into The Chosen One having any more children by The Emperor. Apparently someone back when made a prophecy that the child of Anakin would kill The Emperor as karma for his and Plagueis's experiments into influencing The Force to create life, that presumably resulted in Anakin. You create a life? Well.. the progeny of that life will ultimately destroy you.

Yes, i'm making stuff up to fit what has been shown.. but it aligns with The Emperor 'forseeing' that Luke had the ability to destroy him from the OT, which can be extrapolated to mean that the child of Anakin could destroy him. If The Emperor didn't completely die in the 'death' on DS2, which I don't believe he did.. his spirit got split from his body(which was shown), then Luke via Anakin didn't completely destroy him, and the prophecy should still be in play. Hence the need for another child of The Chosen One to fulfill it. The Emperor thinks he's cheated death and the prophecy(currently inside Snoke, inside Kylo Ren at the end of 9), but was simply mistaken in who the destroyer, and in particular exactly which child that would actually be. This, in turn, wrenches The Saga back onto its original OT track, and actually continuing that Saga, not existing outside of it. Our Heroes vs The Emperor, trying to fix what daddy broke and finally rid a GFFA of this Dark Evil that is creating Wars amongst the Stars.

It also gives Yoda and Obi-wan an out in that if they were also aware of this prophecy, it explains why they felt that Luke was their last hope, why Yoda was so insistent on Luke ganking Vader, and why Leia was the 'another'. Turns out they were both wrong and there was another another. The wonderous things that can happen when a story needs to be extended.

But back on topic, Holdo and Phasma then decide to have a kid and use that seed to make Rey. Phasma, in this case, likely would have taken her to term (surrogate mother).

5 years later, when it starts to come to light what they've done, Phasma drops her off on Jakku. Knowing that they would be able to pull Rey's location from her mind, she becomes part of the Stormtrooper program and gets reprogrammed, rather then give up that location. This then overwrites previous memories(an effect of the process used to make an optimal soldier that isn't busy obsessing about family), including the memory of where she left Rey.

So to breakdown the theory surrounding Holdo and Rey into lineage.

Rey is the biological daughter of Anakin. Rey is the biological daughter of Holdo. Rey is the surrogate daughter of Phasma. Rey is the aunt of Ben Solo and Finn Calirissian.

Rachel(her full first name), is also the sister of Luke and Leia Skywalker.

And heck.. for funsies, there is no reason why you can't make Snoke(real name, lets go with Magnus Holdo), the father of Amilyn Holdo. At some point after the Emp's spirit got split from his body after ROTJ, it ended up in Magnus and he became the being now known as Snoke. Which, in turn, makes Snoke Rey's grandfather on her mother's side. It also would ziptie a reason as to why Holdo would be looking for the Station, if it was at the behest of her father, but in actuality at the behest of The Emperor, who knew it was there.

I'll bet MotherNature's SilverSeed gets a kick out of that one.

6. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Wow, I have read some imaginative...stuff...on here but that really takes the crown. It's that good I can't even be bothered to debunk it.

7. CrazyOldJedi

CrazyOldJedi Chosen One star 6

Oct 29, 2000
    Wow, I have read some imaginative...stuff...on here but that really takes the crown. It's that good I can't even be bothered to debunk it.

LastJediKnight likes this.
  8. Darth_Voider

Darth_Voider Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2015
    In the book "Leia, Princess of Alderaan", it is implied that Holdo is bisexual.

Gesendet von meinem SM-J510FN mit Tapatalk

MrElculver2424 and cut-of-space like this.
  9. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    The passage has been interpreted to mean she apparently sticks to humanoid females, when in actuality it sounds far more likely she's into all sorts of races and specifically name-checks some of them.

It can be read both ways, though, and was probably written as such.

10. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    What are Grans anyways??

11. Storm_Cloud

Storm_Cloud Jedi Master star 3

Jan 13, 2016

Easily done - there's no time to explain it all as the film is only two and half hours.

12. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015

Ahh yes.. the 'no time to explain it all' fallacy.

The fallacy being you somehow think that all or most of that will actually be put in a single movie. Its a theory, not a script.

Like most stuff, you extract the relevant bits, those get alluded to or mentioned during the movies, and the brains of the fans do the rest. Remember that Anakin became Luke's father by them basically just saying.. Luke... I am your Father. Imagine the poor slob waiting for TESB that is told Vader is Anakin and Luke's father and the backstory behind it, and his response would be similar to yours.

Well.. that's not going to happen... 'no time to explain it all'!

In this movie? Holdo should be introduced to the audience, ultimately revealed to be a villain, gets control of The Resistance, and on the way out in the stinger just before the credits, you find out she's Rey's Mom. Anything beyond that? Not really needed in 8.

13. LastJediKnight

Dec 19, 2015
    Ahh yes.. the 'no time to explain it all' fallacy.
    The fallacy being you somehow think that all or most of that will actually be put in a single movie. Its a theory, not a script.
    Like most stuff, you extract the relevant bits, those get alluded to or mentioned during the movies, and the brains of the fans do the rest. Remember that Anakin became Luke's father by them basically just saying.. Luke... I am your Father. Imagine the poor slob waiting for TESB that is told Vader is Anakin and Luke's father and the backstory behind it, and his response would be similar to yours.
    Well.. that's not going to happen... 'no time to explain it all'!
    In this movie? Holdo should be introduced to the audience, ultimately revealed to be a villain, gets control of The Resistance, and on the way out in the stinger just before the credits, you find out she's Rey's Mom. Anything beyond that? Not really needed in 8.

14. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
  15. bkiddo

bkiddo Jedi Padawan

Dec 6, 2017
    Rian Johnson has confirmed to Mashable that the hint about Holdo's sexuality from the book is not picked up in the film.

16. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    My impression is Holdo is in the story to serve Leia and Poe arcs. That's her purpose.

17. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    wondering why she didn't tell Poe of her plans to go to Crait as she was being arrested.. it seemed .. simpler

11-4D and Paparazzo like this.
  18. cerealbox

cerealbox Force Ghost star 6

May 5, 2016
    I mean, Rian and TPTB have been up front about that.

Everyone else is in the film, is there to serve the narratives of Rey, Kylo, Finn, Poe, Leia and Luke.

And that includes Snoke, Hux, Phasma, DJ, Rose, Maz, and Holdo.

Rose is set to be evaluated now though. Oh and Paige was there to only serve Rose's narrative.

oncafar likes this.
  19. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    Also BTW I didn't mean my post as saying I think that's bad. :) That's what a support character is after all!

20. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Wouldn't serve the plot!

I did pretty much instantly become fond of the character though! Look forward to her books and stuff

21. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Irritating. I just saw the film again and
    when she is held by Poe and friends, why, oh why not keep things simple and just say - "hey - this is the plan? "

22. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    Thoughts on the character responsible for one of the most iconic scenes in all of Star Wars? Her background. Laura’s performance. The interplay with Poe and Leia.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  23. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thread merged.

24. yanote

yanote Jedi Knight star 2

May 1, 2016
    Laura Dern does a wonderful job in the movie as Holdo. And her muted light speed scene left me breathless.
    I watched the movie with my son 5 days ago and yesterday night, he was still remembering and talking about that fabulous moment.

Another big + for The Last Jedi.

25. Doom_Buggy

Doom_Buggy Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 2, 2016
    I loved Holdo and I wasn't expecting that. She's a great character and I loved the resolution of her arc.