main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Law & Order

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by Jedi_Nailbiter, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    This show rocks. Discuss.

2. Jedi_Anakin_Solo

Jedi_Anakin_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 27, 2001
    I love the fact that they don't always win (unlike most courtroom dramas) and even when they do win, it's not pretty ;).

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    There needs to be something more substantial in the initial post to discuss than, "This show rocks. Discuss."

4. Mitt

Mitt Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 10, 1999
    I like how they show the DA's being the good guys instead of shows like Perry Mason and Matlock and such where the DA's were always totally wrong. Its cool and pretty realistic.

5. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    A very very good show

6. Iwishiwasajedi

Iwishiwasajedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    You need to dicuss like KW said. Or else this would be better for the JCC.

7. Jedi_Nailbiter

Jedi_Nailbiter Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 22, 2000
    I like how they show the DA's being the good guys instead of shows like Perry Mason and Matlock and such where the DA's were always totally wrong. Its cool and pretty realistic.

Also, even if the DA doesn't agree with their case and keeps saying 'they don't have enough evidence' or 'you'll lose because of blahblahblah,' he still supports in them in the trial and investigation and whatnot unlike other shows where he's so stubborn and is almost trying to fail the case.

So which Law and Order spinoff is your favorite?

8. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    I haven't seen the "real" Law & Order, but all three of the L&O dramas are fantastic series, and have consistently remain so over all these years. Guess when you start with a great premise, (altered) truth is stranger than fiction (or as NBC likes to call it, "Ripped from the Headlines") you can't really go wrong, especially given the unending source material. When SVU came out I was worried that they might spread the idea too thin, but even after CI started, each show, while formulistic, has formed it's own identity to the point you don't feel like you're watching 3 episodes of the same show each week.

I really enjoy Criminal Intent, but I think it's mostly due to Vincent D?Onofrio's character and the job he does playing him. I'm equally impressed with the job Ice-T has done in his supporting role.

9. jedi_master_sauron

jedi_master_sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    i'm not at all a fan of any of the spin off's but i love the original. the current pairing of the cops is my favorite. good chemistry and lenny has great one liners. i have not watched it much this year becasue i dont like the new female assistant DA that's paired up with jack now. bring back angie harmon!!!

also form my limited knowledge of the law i find L&O to be pretty on point - hearsay, search and seizure, etc.

its also filmed i the greatest city in the world.

10. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    My mom's cousin is an Assistant DA here in Indy and we've talked from time to time about her cases and what not, and on more than one occasion the talk has turned towards t.v. shows. Anyway, she thinks the original L&O series (haven't asked her about the others) is probably the best drammatic representation of the criminal justice process on t.v. That might not mean much to anyone here, but I couldn't imagine a higher compliment for a series than that. (Or, I guess it could be a sad commentary on all the other shows, but I think it's more of a compliment for L&O. ;) ) She particularly liked the attention to all the details of the mundane searching that police and DA's have to go thru, checking financial records, tracking down phone calls, and the like.

11. Tobie_Wan

Tobie_Wan Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2002
    I think Vincent D'Onofrio is poised to take over the whole L&O franchise. His acting ability is clearly superior to anyone else in the casts of any of the spinoffs IMHO.

Here's a question for followers of L&O. Who is your favorite female assistant DA? My vote still goes to Jill Hennessey. Love that sassy way she has about her. Anyone else?

12. Coolguy4522

Coolguy4522 Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 21, 2000
    I like the new show that just shows real courtroom dramas, not the fiction crap. I never watched any of these shows before, but I visited the state courthouse with my school (not because I was arrested :p ) and it was much more funny and interesting that the fake crap.

13. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    I've always liked Jill Hennessey, but I became more infatuated with Angie Harmon. She prosecuted the hell out of people! She made damn sure the guilty got what they deserved!

14. darth_morgana

darth_morgana Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2000
    Yes! I finally found some other fans :)

I found some reruns over the summer and now I'm addicted.

Question: Who's your fave EADA, Ben Stone, or Jack McCoy?

My fave: Jack rules, hands down :)

15. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    I find it is what I think is a good view of the legal process, from hunting down the perpetrators of the crime to taking the case through the legal process. Shows why law enforcement get so frustrated, cuz their arrest has to have derived from perfectly set rules which real life does not provide most times in order to take it further. Worst scenario is if one "dropped shoe" allowed the guilty one to go free, while the innocent alleged perpetrator got convicted for something he/she did not do. The victim will always be the victim, unfortunately.

Yes, I do like the original series best; great chemistry among the actors. Some of the spin-offs are ok, too; they go a different direction so they're at least not an exact copies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.