main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan Writing Solo

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    Initially early accounts of Lawrence Kasdan's involvement with the new Star Wars films gave the impression that he was very excited about writing a Han Solo film, as he has said countless times: "Han is my favorite character."

It was said that he initially signed on only "to write and produce one of spin-off properties," obviously the Solo film, and that he only later agreed to work on TFA when Arndt's screenplay didn't work out and Disney needed a new screenplay for TFA produced in 6 months.

What's interesting is that Kasdan now seems to have a different attitude about the Han Solo film which is still just in the pre-production phase. During a press tour, Kasdan told a German newspaper that he was "done" with Star Wars: "I have now made more 4 Star Wars films. That's more than enough." More surprisingly, the article states that Kasdan from the onset "had little interest in being involved in the Solo film, but his family was so excited about the idea for him, he agreed to co-write the screenplay with his son Jon Kasdan."

This reluctance to be involved with developing the Solo film especially seems at odds with his love for Solo and the fact that initially signed on for writing the Solo film alone.

I wonder what the explanation for this possible change of heart is, as he initially seemed enthused about it a few years ago but now he admits that his family had to convince him to get to do it. Did Kasdan only get involved to give his son an opportunity? Does Kasdan, who did not like some of Lucas's decisions in the OT, get annoyed by the "give and take" involved with writing TFA for Disney? Or did that experience give him the feeling that he would be constrained in what he could do with the Solo film? Or did he sign on for the money? There are obviously other possible explanations, but regardless, I thought this was interesting news.

Original article from The Hollywood Reporter: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/han-solos-2018-spotlight-will-839114

MOD EDIT: Broadening the scope of this thread to allow any and all discussion of Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan's involvement in writing the screenplay.

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Isn't the Han Solo film among the four he's written? ESB/ROTJ/TFA/Han Solo?

Edit; yeah, the article itself states that he's counting Han Solo.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    It's a great vehicle to help his son become a bit more established.

4. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013

It was a little unclear in how I summarized it.

His statement that he's done with SW is from after the Han Solo film production began.

His statement that his family had to convince him to do the Solo film refers back to either the time when he was initially offered a spin-off film or to the time after he worked on TFA but before he began work on the Solo spin-off film.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  5. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    Well, they are quoting Bild. Bild isn't exactly known for being all that correct when it comes to details ;)

Going from memory, Kasdan did say in an earlier interview that when he talked with Kennedy (and maybe some others) about the future of Star Wars, she mentioned that Lucas had given them a whole bunch of outlines for possible movies outside the main storyline. He wasn't all that interested in being the main writer for one of them, but that if he would write one it would have to be the one about Han Solo, as that had always been his favorite character.

He definately did say in one of the interviews that it makes a lot of fun to write this movie. So I doubt that he is somehow not enthusiastic about the project.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  6. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I don't trust the source. Kasdan seemed excited for himself, and for his son, so my guess is that his heart's in it. Plus, he clearly enjoyed the script-writing process with Abrams.

I suspect this will be his last Star Wars film, but I wouldn't at all worry about his commitment. He loves Han Solo, and since he's committed to the film, he'll do everything in his power to do the film justice through his writing. Plus, Larry will most certainly not want his son to be associated with a Star Wars failure.

7. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    It's likely that he's said something like "I wasn't sure, but my family were like 'are you kidding?'"

8. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, some things that Han did in TFA felt like they could've been copied directly from a young Han Solo film. For example the bowcaster scene; "I like this thing!". Who knows, perhaps many of Kasdan's ideas for the Han Solo film were included in TFA at the request by Disney. This could possibly have angered Kasdan, who now can't re-use the same ideas for the Han Solo film.

Darth Nerdling likes this.
  9. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Thinly veiled bash, wilful misinterpretation of the link, no direct reference to anything actually asserted in the article

10. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    clinteastwoodbradfield

Can you once in a while relax?

Jonipoon

Interesting speculation, you may be on to something. Then we have the Han-transporting-lethal-aliens sequence and the question whether this would not have been rather something to be expected from the young Han Solo.

Darth Nerdling and Ezon Pin like this.
  11. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Agreed. Even if the movie comes out "meh" to me, a father and son thing is quite beautiful to do.

12. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Oh yes, I almost forgot about those.... Rathtar transportation definitely seems like a "rookie" thing to do, taken their violent nature it seems like most smugglers would want to avoid transporting them. Unless you're a rookie smuggler who's looking for easy cash. Yeah, definitely seems more suitable for a young Han Solo film.

Darth Nerdling, Ezon Pin and Lt. Hija like this.
  13. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Or conversely would only be attempted by someone with experience & confidence in their abilities. It all really depends what angle you choose to approach it from, as an argument could easily be made for either POV. Neither would have much substance mind you.

Gigoran Monk, El_Machete12 and CEB like this.
  14. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    Sh3ppy

What I saw didn't suggest experience and competence. Solo himself said he lost his crew because of the Rathtars. I wonder "how" he would have delivered them to King Prana, if already loading them was lethal.

15. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Well, I think rathtars could still be used in the Han Solo movie, giving Han lots of trouble. It would be much more comedic, perhaps with Han saying in the end "Never rathtars again!", and then when you watch TFA you will wonder "WHY? You said you wouldn't!". Haha.

EDIT: Lt. Hija, another good point! It definitely seems like the rathtars gave him trouble. Again, this could've been one of Kasdan's ideas for the Han Solo movie.

16. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Just irritated that yet another thread is being hijacked by thinly veiled bashing. The link itself is clickbait, and there is conjecture based on nothing that has now been spuriously spun into "LOL Han was rubbish in TFA wasn't he? Maybe he was meant to be written as a young person!!"

If you want your conjecture to be taken seriously, go back to the link in the OP, find some foundations for your point and then work it out. Otherwise, it just looks like another bash, which you can expect to be called out on.

Here's the actual article from bild, through google translate;

'Stop script writer with 'Star Wars'

07.11.2015 - 23:31
    By T. RENDER
    For real "Star Wars" fans, this is a shock: Lawrence Kasdan (66) as a screenwriter of the legendary Star Wars stop!

"Episode VII - the awakening of power" with us at the cinema starts on 17 December. "That was my last movie from this saga," says Kasdan to picture on Sunday.

"I never make Star Wars',".

Star Wars so in the future without the man who wrote it the scenes of "Episode V - the Empire strikes back" and "Episode VI - return of the Jedi". "I wanted to no longer make the new movie", so Kasdan to BILD am SONNTAG. "But my family liked the idea."

Larger view "Star Wars" Daisey Ridley as Rey and John Boyega as Finn
    In the new "Star Wars"-blockbuster fight evil Daisey Ridley as Rey and John Boyega as Finn
    Photo: AP/dpa

For two years his last script writes the new Kasdan. "We are still not finished. I now have four, Star Wars'-movies made. That is more than enough,"Kasdan. "I want to again work as a Director."

May be the camera with him."

So, he's done enough Star Wars films. He wasn't keen on returning to Star Wars but his family persuaded him, and he wants to direct again.

There's no grounds for any of the other desperate conjecture.

17. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    To you, it seems like everything is bashing. I don't see anyone raising aggressive voices in this thread (except you) - we're simply having a calm discussion about a certain matter - true or not.

Darth Nerdling and Ezon Pin like this.
  18. Mister Bones

Jan 27, 2016
    I did say confidence, not competence. Besides, since when did life-threatening danger stop Han from taking something on?

19. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    clinteastwoodbradfield

That's just willful speculation on your part. If you feel that comes at the expense of TFA, then it's your problem. It's just that Jonipoon's speculation isn't without substance. The bowcaster scene is something which I.M.H.O. would have worked better in a young Han Solo film. YMMV.

Sh3ppy

I was merely referring to whether the "confidence" turned out to be competent or not. [face_peace]

Darth Nerdling, Ezon Pin and Jonipoon like this.
  20. Mister Bones

Jan 27, 2016

Haha, no worries at all, just clarifying.

21. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014
    Well, it actually wouldn't, since the bowcaster scene specifically sets up the power of the bowcaster which injures Kylo (the shock, the horror! A contrived structure! Almost like it's all made up!)

littlewaves likes this.
  22. Lt. Hija

Dec 8, 2015
    I thought that was in ESB when Chewie missed the Mynock and woke up the space slug.

23. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    The notion that the young Han Solo script was mined for situations for The Force Awakens,this angering Kasdan, despite him being the co-screenwriter of both films and having more than a modicum of influence over what occurs in each, is baseless, useless conjecture. Useless (useless [useless]) conjecture.

24. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    The point was getting them into their containers/ cages was lethal. Now that Han and Chewie had accomplished that, they simply had to deliver the containers to Prana...

So off-loading them would be like off-loading any other cargo.

Mostly Handless and CEB like this.
  25. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    First of all everyone needs to play nice in here. Second of all the article itself does not warrant an entire thread but I'm going to go ahead and repurpose it.

This is now the thread to discuss anything and everything related to Lawrence Kasdan and Jon Kasdan's involvement in writing the screenplay.

Thread title updated.

Darth Nerdling likes this.