main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Lawrence Kasdan's take on the PT

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by DrDre, Dec 4, 2015.

1. DrDre

DrDre Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 6, 2015
    There's an interview with Lawrence Kasdan in the LA Times about getting back to Star Wars. In this interview he also discusses his view of the PT.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...star-wars-lawrence-kasdan-20151206-story.html

Some quotes:

Just jump over the prequels for a second, where George was doing what George was doing and fulfilling his own desires.

The story [in the prequels] does not interfere. We only have to deal with the first trilogy so we didn't have to deal with it much. They obviously have a certain feel, and that was not the feel we wanted this one to have. This is much more related to "A New Hope" and "Empire".

And with the canon — everyone refers to the canon, but it has zero meaning to me. I don't know what the canon is. I cannot get that straight.

This article to me illustrates that Star Wars is so much more than a single man imposing his vision.

2. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes, Star Wars is much more than Kasdan's limited vision.

3. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I agree. It's more than anybody's limited vision. It's not about canon or ownership.

Strongbow, Darth Downunder and jc1138 like this.
  4. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Can't be bothered to read. Does the article ask him why he's not done a decent film since 1993? ;)

You can kind of understand them not needing to bother with the PT given it's like 50 years since TPM... But poor, poor Return of the Jedi. [face_laugh]

These comments are making me wonder whether they are retconning ROTJ... Could Palpy actually turn up at some point in this trilogy, alive and well and living in the Outer Rim?:p

5. Tyranus_Reborn

Tyranus_Reborn Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2014

Hey, Wyatt Earp was a masterpiece.

:p

6. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

I agree, why don't they ever mention Rotj? Its a great film and its been mostly been ignored by the TFA crew. Apparently only ANH and ESB exists? I hope they don't retcon RotJ.

7. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm a fan of Lucas's existing six part Saga so I'm as concerned with this ANH and ESB obsession that they seem to have from the POV of what I means for ROTJ as I am for what it means for Episode I-III, probably more so actually because I see the effect of all this on the Prequels as being largely "neutral" (basically in story terms the PT will just be "parked" , ignored, etc) where-as you can see the real possibility that they are going to rip up everything we saw in ROTJ and retcon it.

8. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    I don't think anything is going to be retconned. He's referring to the feel of the movies. I think they feel ROTJ neatly tied up the OT (maybe a little too neatly), and that's that. The OT is to the ST, what the PT is to the OT, namely backstory. It provides some historical context, but in the end the story stands on it's own with a beginning, a middle and an end.

CIS Droid likes this.
  9. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013

That's BS. Abrams said in the recent interview with Howard Stern that they have a guy at Lucasfim that's responsible for all the canon bookkeeping, so to speak, and that he was often writing him emails on whether something fits within the overall canon.

CIS Droid, Saga Explorer and Zikri like this.
  10. Tyranus_Reborn

Dec 7, 2014
    One gets the sense from this interview that there is SW and then there is ESB, and then the rest is just EU. Which is too bad. I think all of the films are thematically and visually rich. While others dislike the tonal dissonance between the two trilogies - the elegant machinery against the used, lived-in industrial universe, the studied acting and declarative language against the carny ebullience and percussive beats of the rapid-fire dialogue, digital against analog - I find the rich, contrasty feel of the story to be immensely satisfying.

Of course it is clear that the TFA people are attempting to distance themselves from the PT and ROTJ - by general consensus "Inferior" or even flat out "bad" movies - and return to the swashbuckling magic of the original Star Wars. Perhaps they will succeed. And although they are taking an incredibly conservative approach by basically just rebooting ANH, you can't really blame them: Disney paid $4 billion for the rights to SW and there is no way they are going to attempt something too visionary or too boundary-pushing. There is too much at stake financially.

Ezon Pin, DBPirate, appleseed and 9 others like this.
  11. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Thing is though... If I wanted to watch a Star Wars (ANH) and Empire Strikes Back again I'll just watch Star Wars (ANH) and Empire Strikes Back...

The people behind TFA are beginning to come across a bit like silly Elvis impersonators... And my take on those has always been why shell out good money to see some inferior impersonator rehashing Elvis's greatest hits when I can stay at home and watch the amazing "68 Comeback Special"?

Seems to be the same with The Force Awakens. I'll just stay at home this Christmas and watch ANH and ESB. Will I be missing much? [face_laugh]

12. Tyranus_Reborn

Dec 7, 2014
    Yes, but ANH and ESB have very different tonalities. One is a slam-bang space opera, a hero's journey, a rousing tour-de-force (pun intended) that recycles Saturday matinee tropes and then transforms them through popular moviemaking of the first order (pun not intended). The other is moodier and more visionary, reaching into the recesses of despair and exploring the underlying nature of the Force. One thing these two films share - apart from the obvious - is that they are, by general consensus, classics of contemporary mainstream cinema. Critics and fans are more divided about the relative worth of the other four films in the sextet.

So while Kasdan may be saying one thing, he is implying another.

jc1138 and Alienware like this.
  13. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015
    Kasdan doesn't really seemed to have an opinion of the Prequel movies. It seems as if he doesn't want to discuss it. But if I must be honest, it doesn't really matter to me.

14. Tyranus_Reborn

Dec 7, 2014
    I'll watch it. In fact, I fully expect to enjoy it. I wish they were more audacious with some of their ideas rather than giving us Death Star III (four, if you count the droid control ship in TPM, which blatantly echoes ANH), Tarkin II, and various other inescapable parallels that I cannot divulge without going into spoiler territory, but hey, Disney has $4 billion at stake here. I don't expect them to reinvent the wheel.

CIS Droid likes this.
  15. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

How did the droid ship in "The Phantom Menace" echo the Death Star?

16. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Blowing up a spherical device, that gives the bad guys the advantage.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    It's about the guy who imagined/created it.

That's a great analogy.

18. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Wow, I hadn't realized ANH and TESB are the only "good" SW movies. :rolleyes:

19. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Not anymore it isn't...

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But...

Ezon Pin and Darkslayer like this.
  21. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Yup . ROTJ did not happen , SW E I-III are crazy lucid awful dreams of a Wampa and what the hell is EU anyway ????!!!! ( sarcasm)

Ezon Pin, MagnaZero, DBPirate and 4 others like this.
  22. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    It's good thing we have Kasdan to set the record straight at last! *heavy sarcasm*

23. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    I think the only thing TFA lacks is ... you guessed it GARY KURTZ ( plays Star Wars Theme )
    Ok , that's enough .

Davak24 likes this.
  24. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    More like 70!

Really? I've never heard of such a thing!

[​IMG]

25. DrDre

Aug 6, 2015
    Exactly, it's about the current owners giving young filmmakers the chance to give us their own interpretation of Star Wars, without being restricted by a single man's vision.

Force Smuggler and TX-20 like this.