Before "Lay A Whisper On My Pillow"10/14* last message posted from author

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ewen, Aug 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    TITLE: "Lay A Whisper On My Pillow"

ERA: J.A. Apprentice

Summary: I borrowed from Jude Watson and her JA. stories and here is my version of Obi-Wan while he was on probation. I borrowed some of the characters from her stories, even the *partial* premise of her story, [Obi?s probation]. This is my take on how Obi-Wan finally proves himself worthy of staying the apprentice to Master Qui-Gon Jinn.

If you did not read the book, the confrontation was so intense between master and apprentice, Obi-Wan actually drew his saber on his master. Lucky for Jinn he did not use it. However Qui-Gon did leave Obi there on the planet; their master/apprentice bond seemingly torn apart. In my story it has to be spliced together again, or will it?

#############

As always, italics indicates mind speech or mind thoughts.

##################

Master Jinn heard the familiar buzzing sound of the draigon as it dived to make a repeated attack on him. He stood ready, saber in hand, lit, powered, and waited. He already suffered two bites from the evil flying beast, he didn?t think his arm could handle another skin-ripping, bone gnashing attack made by the monster which mimicked the grace of a bird in flight but veracity of a Dagaboh Tasmanian devil in battle. Blood loss and twisted tendons kept the Jedi master?s fighting talents in check and almost prevented him from holding his saber in place adequately..

From the corner of his eye, Padawan Kenobi could see the flying beast with a combined wing span of seven feet or more, position itself to make yet another diving swoop toward his master. He quickly handled the draigon that was trying to make him a meal and ran to his master?s side.

Obi-Wan could feel the energy in his master, normally so powerful and bright, wane from the injuries sustained in two previous attacks. He stood right in front of Qui-Gon, his own saber powered and waiting. The contrasting blue and green glow of the sabers in the night air made a light spectacle for the draigons which soared overhead in wait for the kill; a decent meal made by the ingestion of the two Jedi.

Of course their sabers acted like a homing beacon for the flying animals to easily find their target and make themselves a living weapon headed for their adversaries, Master Jinn and his apprentice. They were suspended on the cliff?s surface, exposed to the animals? talons and razor sharp beaks; unprotected vulnerable for an attack by the beast who thought it had come up against an easy prey.

Just as the flying bird-like creature made his way toward Obi-Wan?s master, its talons out and poised for another attack, Obi-Wan?s blade seemed to float in the air much further than one so short could have possibly thrust it. Padawan Kenobi?s quick thinking produced a sudden surprising attack on the animal who until then seemed to be equal in intelligence when it came to a battle with a two-legged walking being. The draigon had not anticipated an attack as quickly from its potential prey.

Obi-Wan used the force to extend his reach with his saber and attacked long before the flying menace had time to stretch its long clawed legs and reach for Padawan Kenobi?s master. One clean hit with the saber in mid-air, not a hand on it, rendered the draigon headless, felled by a Jedi saber with seemingly no one wielding it. Resourceful quick thinking talent for a seasoned master but not for an apprentice of only two years. The feat accomplished by Padawan Kenobi was was unfathomable. A Jedi apprentice Obi-Wan?s age should not have had the force abilities yet to pull off such an amazing, brilliant thought-through force-powered maneuver.

Although the reason for the other monsterous dragon-like beasts' rabid retreat was not known with certainty, the Jedi suspected the flying giant mammals called off their attack to seek an easier fought-for meal elsewhere, before the sun rose.

?Well Padawan Kenobi, glad to see you have at least
  2. BLADE_KENOBI Jedi Knight

star 1
    Yes! A New Story!

Great Beginning Ewen! Can't wait for more. You do Obi angst so well.

Blade
  3. Hananiah Jedi Master

star 4
    Poor Obi Wan! It did seem in the book that no one even asked about Cerasi. Thsi was really well done.
  4. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
  5. ewen Jedi Master

star 4

A week later

Obi-Wan along with his Master, Qui-Gon Jinn stood oiutside the council chambers. They had not even had time to unpack before they were called before the elders of the council to checkup on Obi-Wan. That was the way the boy saw it anyway.

Master Jinn had cautioned him to gain control of his anger that he said just oozed from his apprentice. Obi-Wan thought he was doing pretty good at controlling it, but Master Jinn did not want the anger controlled, he wanted to it dispersed and how??

Obi-Wan slapped his own forehead. Through the force of course, what ever was I, good little Jedi that I am, thinking.

Obi-Wan had to smile to himself at the rhyming statement he mentally prosed, but even that got him a stern look cast his way by his master just before Qui-Gon opened the door to the council chambers torture chambers more like it with Windu sitting court right in the middle where the away Master Yoda should be.

Two hours later Obi-Wan Kenobi walked out of the council chambers, his entire body soaked with perspiration from the grueling experience and his mind in a numbed haze.

He wasn?t sure if he had been congratulated on the job well done while by his master?s side as they traveled the galaxy fighting injustices or if he had been reprimanded, even threatened by the bald headed master. Mace personally took it upon himself to pass judgment on Padawan Kenobi and in turn convinced the council he was right in that judgment. Even with his master beside him, who in his defense spoke up for his padawan, Master Windu let his opinion be heard? and heard ?and heard?. Until even a few of the masters at the tribunal hearing or witch hunt against what they saw as a disobedient padawan, spoke up.

Finally Master Yaddle interrupted and said she?d heard enough. The boy, she pointed out primarily to Mace Windu completed his duty admirably at his master ?s side the last few months and if he could adjust, fit in at the temple, and complete his finals satisfactorily, he should be allowed to officially be reinstated as padawan to Qui-Gon Jinn.

Even though his master had assured them in his mind, Obi was still his apprentice, Kenobi didn?t exactly feel that way. Something was askew in their master/ apprentice relationship but never having seen many pairs together the last year, it was hard to tell what was missing. Obi hoped he could learn more while at the temple.be his mind holds me as his apprentice but not his heart.

Obi-Wan turned his attentions away from the many trials he would face at the temple to his next prime directive; finding food, followed by intense and grueling study session. He had kept up with his work, but being in the class room was so much better than trying to keep up with the other students through correspondence lessons as he had done for well over a year.

Master Jinn dismissed his apprentice just as they walked outside of the council chambers. However,not before he was given more instructions on what he should do.I am beginning to feel like a puppet and my strings have become tangled.

Master Jinn instructed him to go to the communal commissary and eat mid-meal. He also told the boy he could visit with Bant and Garen while there, but remember Master Windu?s very clear distinct instructions to you, no other contact with other apprentices in any of the recreation areas or outside the temple walls.

Obi-Wan was not to interact with the other padawans at any of the designated recreational areas. Except during mid-meal he took in the main commissary. Obi-Wan was not permitted to act in capacity of an apprentice in the temple. He was to essence to be shunned. There were still feelings of dislike harbored for him for what he did.

Some padawans thought Obi-Wan did a disservice to them by betraying the Jedi. Some just went on what their masters said and they voiced much of the same opinion. Of course then their were others.

Others like Bruck Chun not yet chosen with only six months to go
  6. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Whoo Hoo a new ewen story!!!!!!!

Me likes so far :D :D :D

Looks like Qui-Gon is going to be even more of a jerk in this than usual, or is that just what it looks like now, we haven't really heard from him yet.

Look forward to more!
  7. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Master buckethead has made his appearance
  8. Jenny_The_Jedi_Girl Jedi Master

star 4
  9. Hananiah Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep another Qui Gon bucket head fic! Why can't everyone leave Obi Wan alone!
    But Bant was way, way cool!
  10. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    Good start! I enjoy hating Qui-Gon too, and you do it so well. [face_laugh] I enjoyed most of the JA books, its fun to get another installment! I did enjoy this time of the book series.

Obi still has his friends. Qui scares them too! :)
  11. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    News readers or lurkers like Altaira & Hananiah, Welcome abroad and stick around if you love buecktheadedness. Only this time there will be yet another buckethead, Master Windu.

Blade, Kelly, P.K., JJGirl, you know the drill. Bad then good, then bad before it gets better. Does anyone want a post this evening?? Must be warned. Next post is long and double cliff hangers!!! Still interested?

Thanks for reading and posting!!

PEace ewen
  12. Kelly Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    Does anyone want a post this evening?? What a silly question ewen, of course I want a post this evening..... heck I want a post right now, then again this evening and then again tomorrow morning..... you get the idea right, I always want another post from you :D :D :D

So Mace is going to be just as much a buckethead as Qui in this, poor Obi is in for a rough streach :( :(
  13. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    Love to have more :D You?ve always posted regularly, keeps the fun and the Oh, MY! going.

Looking forward to this new story and your posts!

Lurker? [face_looks around innocently] who, me?, but at least your stories are being enjoyed, even by the timid ones. :)
  14. BLADE_KENOBI Jedi Knight

star 1
    Want a post tonight? Heck yeah!!

Please! Please! Please!

You get my drift?!

Blade
  15. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Of course I want another post! the boards have been quieter than a cemetary the last few days. I wonder if that blackout has anything to do with it?

I'll catch you tonight- my friend has spare tix to the gymnastics finals at the Anaheim Pond. Hopefully I will get to see the men with all their lovely rippling muscles... a girl can dream [face_love]
  16. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Instead of giving Master Jinn another look, Bant decided to talk with Garen about Obi?s less than nice master.

?Wow I hope that if Master Tahl does choose me next week as her padawan, her friend?s attitude doesn?t rub off on her. I have heard that she is one of Master Jinn?s closest friends. I thought that would be a good thing at first. You know, I would see Obi-Wan more. But if seeing him includes being around ?Master Moody? over there I might just change my mind.?

Too fearful to chance another glance his way, Bant looked up at across the table at Garen and rolled her eyes in the direction of where Master Jinn sat.

?Yea me too. I?m glad my master isn?t like Master Jinn. According to the rumors about him, since he lost his last apprentice Xanatos to the dark side, no master is as strict as the old grouch.?

?You better watch what you say Padawan Garen, someone might just tell on you.?

Garen?s entire body stiffened and he dropped his fork when a third voice joined the private conversation between the *two* friends.

?How wrong you both are. I think Master Jinn would be an even better master if he had a worthy padawan. Maybe it is his choice of apprentices that is the problem and not the master himself.?

A shocked Bant and Garen both looked up to see Bruck standing by their table nosing in on their conversation.

?Well look what the cat drug in. Now Bruck, you can just drag yourself away. Bant and I have nothing to say to you.?

?I guess not. Maybe I will just go over there and tell old Jinn or like Bant said ?Master Moody? what you said. Think he would like that? Think maybe he would put a stop to your little meeting gap session during mid-meal with ?Oafy-Wan??

Bruck laughed out loud, then left. It was an threat not kept, just used to rile the two friends of his sworn enemy.. However unfulfilled that threat was, Bant and Garen both knew if he could cause trouble for Obi-Wan he would. Bruck Chun was just that kind of person.

None of the masters seemed to see what was ever so clear to the numerous padawans and initiates who had come up against the bully of the temple. However there was one of those, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Bruck saved his most viperous attacks for. He had the master Bruck so enviously desired to have as his own mentor in the Jedi order.

##########

Having finished their mid-day meal, Qui-Gon and Adi languidly lingered over a cup of cha and spoke of old times. Adi Gallia, former apprentice to Mace Windu knew Master Jinn very well. They shared a closer friendship in comparison to the other Jedi at the temple. Qui use to baby-sit for her when Mace still went out on missions, but Adi was too young to go. She had been the youngest Jedi ever offered a position on the temple council. She knew Qui-Gon almost as well as she knew her master or as well as he knew himself.. There was something not quite right with he and Obi-Wan?s bond. It was tilted, in someway lacking.

Adi could not help but stare at Qui-Gon while he was eating. She thought of he and Obi-Wan?s discord with each other.

To be successful, thrive and survive, a training bond must be willingly* opened on both ends, master and apprentice?s. Without that freeness to accept each other the bond will slowly decay and rot away. Is that what is happening here between Qui-Gon and Obi?

She intended to make it her little ?pet project to find out what caused this flare up between Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon. She got the distinct feeling it was deeper than the crisis when he left Obi-Wan there alone to watch his newly found friends die one by one because of his master's insistance that they couldn't help.

Which one was really wrong on that planet, the master or the apprentice.

If she remembered correctly, Master Jinn questioned his acceptance of Obi-Wan from the beginning.

Did he start to look for a reason to dismiss him as his apprentice from the beginning. If so then why did he take Obi as his apprentice in the first place?

She cared very much fo
  17. BLADE_KENOBI Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wow! That's all I can say. You can't leave us there! :(

I can't wait to see what Obi says. Maybe Master lunkhead will get a clue. :_| Well probably he won't, we all know how he is in your stories ewen. :D

So how long do we have to wait to find out? Don't leave us hanging for long. . . please.

Blade

18. PadawanKitara Force Ghost

star 5
    Here, take this tree branch and whack some sense into him
  19. Hananiah Jedi Master

star 4

Oooh I hated Mace at the beginning of the captive temple and my opinion really isn't changing!
    I hope Adi and Tahl gang up on Qui Gon again, he needs it.
  20. Altaira Jedi Master

star 4
    I could not believe what Mace said to Adi about Obi-Wan! [face_shocked] :mad: I think after this one, I may have an altered opionion of Mace. And, I?m worried about what Qui-Gon may overhear. Somehow I don?t think it will be understood in the right way. [face_mischief]

Bant and Garen are helping an evil Dyas! Can?t wait to see where this goes.

:)
  21. Thalia_Nox Jedi Knight

star 3
    **Runs panting into the thread late** Whew, great start! You know, this time I'm even more angry at Mace than I am at Qui. You certainly throw us all through loops, ewen!
  22. Thalia_Nox Jedi Knight

star 3
  23. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for all the feedback.

I will have a post up later this afternoon.

PEACE ewen
  24. BLADE_KENOBI Jedi Knight

star 1
    A post is coming! Yea! Can't wait to find out what Obi says.

ewen please tell me you are going to tell us in this post what Obi says and not make us wait until the next post to find out. LOL just kidding, I'm sure I'll love whatever you post this time. :)

Blade

25. ewen Jedi Master

star 4
    Blade In answer to your question, "ewen please tell me you are going to tell us in this post what Obi says".

Yes what Obi-Wan said will be found in this post, well some of it.

##############

###A few days later in the saber training room###

There that movement. Right foot forward...NOW OBI.. bend your knee. Now back with that right foot and.... lunge,That's it you nailed him. Yes!!!! that?s it. Just as Yoda taught it to me. I must admit that was an expertly followed through saber maneuver. Had it been Master Yoda doing it and he is the one who created the saber move, it could have been done no better.. Obi-Wan does pay close attention to my teachings.

Qui-Gon Jinn failed to realize what he thought, should have been spoken directly to his padawan as an incentive to keep up the good work. It need not have been done in such a way to add to prideful thoughts in his apprentice. Qui-Gon should have heeded Obi?s words to Master Yoda that day in the garden, Obi-Wan plainly told his grand master he sorely needed the encouragement and support of his master. Jinn heard what he said, but missed an excellent opportunity to do what Obi-Wan so wished..

Another quick movement, a flip over his taller adversary, and Obi-Wan had him down, on his knees with Kenobi?s saber up under the other apprentice?s chin. The padawan on the floor had no choice but to concede defeat or suffer another stinging saber blow from his superior opponent, Obi-Wan Kenobi. Master Jinn watched as his padawan bowed respectively to his downed opponent. .

He tamped down the pride that had begun to surface before it had time to blossom into a pat on a shoulder or job well done to his apprentice. The smaller of the two, his apprentice, won the practice match soundly . The hint of a smile on Obi-Wan?s face coupled with a dancing gleam in his eyes led his master to suspect Obi-Wan would have liked to have postured over his win.

Probably would have, had I not been present. He reminded himself to speak with the boy about gloating over his practice duels.

My apprentice may be slight in built but not in ability. He learns well and puts forth more effort than, even I expect him. Why can?t I express to him how well he does? With his evident desire to please me why am I still so cautious of him? I suppose I cannot get over his betrayal. A one time deceit and lack of discipline is enough to lose confidence in a comrade by your side that might be the reason you live or die in a battle.

Master Jinn watched more intently as the older apprentice, spoke to Obi-Wan after Obi bowed to him.

All the other padawans should know Obi-Wan is not permitted to speak except during mid-meal in the commissary.

His apprentice stood there dumbfounded that an apprentice would have the nerve to mock his probation by speaking to him. It was a vicious taunt done right in front of a master, the padawan?s master at that. Surely, thought Jinn, all the apprentices have been told of Obi-Wan?s on-going punishment since our return to the temple. Is this a blatant attempt by this particular apprentice to malign Obi-Wan?s probationary success?

Jinn allowed his thoughts to focus back on reality of the situation before him. He watched Victor, still on his knees glare at Obi-Wan. He really did expect an answer.

The Jedi master clenched and unclenched his fists. A spark of anger surfaced, and along with it an unexplained raw need to protect *his* child from the brazen apprentice. demanded conversation out of Obi-Wan.

However, just like the pride he felt for Obi-Wan, he tamped down the sudden maternal protectiveness and emotional connection for his apprentice; released it to the force. He successfully tamed his emotions much like he had tried to teach Obi-Wan to do the same.

He decided to step up between the two before Obi-Wan had time to let those untamed emotions out and taint his record with words and not very nice ones, spoken to the oth
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.