main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lay Off Lucas & Co. Already!

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by Jamiebacca, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cometgreen

Cometgreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 2002
    "'Attack of the Clones' is probably the worst film of 2002 in my opinion."

Now that's just cruel. And I mean REALLY cruel. I can understand most disappointing, but worst?

Cometgreen

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    'Attack of the Clones' is probably the worst film of 2002 in my opinion.

You are very lucky then, because you must have missed some real stinkers.

Austin Powers in Goldmember (worst of 2002 IMHO)
    Men in Black II (I loved it, no one else did)
    The Sum of All Fears
    The Time Machine
    Scooby-Doo
    40 Days and 40 Nights
    Jackass
    Queen of the Damned
    Rollerball

I certainly wish I could say that AOTC was the worst movie I saw in 2002. I'd have been spared a lot of pain and suffering.

(Goldmember... the horror.)

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Austin Powers in Goldmember:
    At least with this film I laughed, but with 'AOTC' I laughed AT.

Men in Black II:
    While I didn't particularly like it, I enjoyed it more than 'AOTC' as entertainment.

The Sum of All Fears:
    Haven't seen it.

The Time Machine:
    OK, maybe you got me..

Scooby-Doo
    40 Days and 40 Nights
    Jackass:
    Haven't seen them, but I'm sure at least Jackass is more entertaining to my tastes.

Queen of the Damned:
    Far better than AOTC!

Rollerball:
    Not seen.

4. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    Jackass the movie. Know there is a bad movie. Not only that it shows what MTV is all about. How Jackass was made into a movie I will never know. Here's the plot of Jackass: Let's do really dumb things and annoy people for no reason [face_plain]

Wait xXx is right up there with Jackass. [face_plain]

5. Durwood

Durwood Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 18, 2002
    Ree Yees, there is a considerable difference between "Worst movie of the year" and "Movie I just happened to like the least." For instance, while The Matrix: Reloaded could very well be my least favorite film of 2003, I'm not delusional enough to conclude that that necessarily makes it the worst film of 2003.

6. flyingillini

flyingillini Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2003
    For me The Time Machine is one of the worst movies of all time.

7. Ree Yees

Ree Yees Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Durwood, point taken.
    'The Matrix Reloaded' was terrible, I agree.

8. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    You thought Queen of the Damned was better than AOTC?

Wow, I'm pleased to meet you. I knew there was rumoured to be one fan of that film, somewhere, but I thought the odds were far too long for me to meet them. Lucky me :)

*hands a rock to Ree Yees*

You know what to do... ;)

9. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    Austin Powers in Goldmember (worst of 2002 IMHO)
    Men in Black II (I loved it, no one else did)
    The Sum of All Fears
    The Time Machine
    Scooby-Doo
    40 Days and 40 Nights
    Jackass
    Queen of the Damned
    Rollerball

^^^^ I bet George Lucas loved all of these movies.

10. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    ... your reasoning being?

And do try to say something more intelligent than "Because he = bad direktor and they r bad moveis! lol Kershner would be so much gooder".

That said... I bet he liked MIB2 'cause he and I seem to have similar tastes :p
    Bet he liked Austin Powers, he doesn't seem to have real high standards for comedy.

I'd think he would have hated The Time Machine because it did injustice to a novel I'm willing to bet he likes... maybe even read a lot as a kid.

Probably didn't like Jackass -- he doesn't watch much TV and dislikes 'the popular trend'.

Probably liked 40D+40N, maybe thought it was cute.

Definitely disliked Rollerball, as no creature on the face of God's Earth liked that.

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    JediStarMoonstruck

"Now here is what I think is odd: both movies are written and directed by the same person, but one is better than the other. How?

Just thought I would point that out."

Just thought I would point out how much a person can change after 20 years and 20 movies (not counting TV shows), not to mention the circumstances under which these films were made (financial, technological, reputational, etc.)

I'd ask how much you've changed in 20 years, but I see you weren't even born yet. Nonetheless, hopefully you'll get the point, because you certainly didn't make yours.

12. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Despite what auteur supporters would have you think, the director is not the reason a movie works or doesn't work.

Here's some examples.

Director FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA made The Godfather, The Conversation, Apocalypse Now... and Jack.

Director STEVEN SPIELBERG made E.T., Jaws, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park... and 1941.

Director PETER JACKSON is bringing us the epic Lord of the Rings trilogy... he also made Meet the Feebles and Bad Taste.

Director IRVIN KERSHNER, often called the best Star Wars director after bringing us The Empire Strikes Back... also brought the world beloved classics such as S*P*Y*S and RoboCop 2.

There's more to a film than its director, kids.

Rick McCallum loves you!

13. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
  14. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    And do try to say something more intelligent than "Because he = bad direktor and they r bad moveis! lol Kershner would be so much gooder".

When you like Battlefield Earth and still support Howard the Duck to this day, I just don't pin George down as a very "high-standards" type of fellow when it comes to cinema. Not really a bad thing though.

But I'm also tempted to use the bad direktor = loves bad movies. [face_laugh]

(Actually, Goldmember wasn't all that bad. Please tell me you at least cracked up when Mini-Me and Austin were doing that silhouette thing where it looked like Austin was giving birth.) [face_laugh]

15. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    The only times I laughed during Goldmember were during the movie parody at the beginning and the title sequence that followed.

I give Goldmember a D, D-.

Which is an improvement on Spy who Shagged Me, one of maybe seven, eight movies I have ever given an F. (I laughed exactly once, at the opening crawl.)

Good God, he's right. I did some research, and Lucas WAS complimentary about Battlefield Earth. (Granted, the director Roger Christian was his pal, but still.)

Quentin Tarantino also praised it. (EDIT: And Billy Bob Thorton.)

What the HELL?!

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. JohnWilliams00

Jan 29, 2002
    I'm surprised QT praised it, but he makes it clear he loves nearly everything. This guy has posters of Switchblade Sisters on his wall.

Which is an improvement on Spy who Shagged Me, one of maybe seven, eight movies I have ever given an F. (I laughed exactly once, at the opening crawl.)

I thought this movie was hilarious! (AP 1 and 2 are the best, Goldmember a distant, but worthy, third) Once again, the silhouette scene (the mouse/tennis racket into the rear end)... [face_laugh]

<---------Loves simple-minded silhouette jokes.

17. DamonD

DamonD Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 22, 2002
    I've seen Switchblade Sisters. It's trashy and unintentionally campy as hell, complete with girl vs girl knife fight, but I guess that's just part of why Tarantino loves it.

18. DARTH_ABBADON

DARTH_ABBADON Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 9, 2002
    Quentin Tarantino also praised it.

Well, this is the same guy who called Au Revoir Les Enfants, "that reservoir" thing so . . .

:p

19. JediStarMoonstruck

JediStarMoonstruck Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2002
    Just thought I would point out how much a person can change after 20 years and 20 movies (not counting TV shows), not to mention the circumstances under which these films were made (financial, technological, reputational, etc.)

That's a good point, however, you're going into psychology and according to my psychology book, a personality starts to harden in their twenties.

So if you are 60, you remain, for the most part, the same person you were at age 30. And it is rare for personalities to change in a dramatic way.

There is a possiblity that GL's personality has changed since then, however, given the infomation in my psychology book, I concluded that the only way for that to happen would be for a very and highly dramatic event to occur in GL's life between the writing and filming of ANH and the writing and filming of AOTC. I have found no evidence to suggest that so I must assume that his personality has not changed and that the person who directed ANH is essentially the same person who directed AOTC.

If you have evidence to suggest that there was an event that could change his personality, I would very much like to hear it.

And for the record, seeing that this is July and I was born in February, I would have been 5 months 20 years ago. Not that it makes much difference. :)

20. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    "So if you are 60, you remain, for the most part, the same person you were at age 30. And it is rare for personalities to change in a dramatic way."

That is self-serving reasoning. Besides, do you presume this is true of all 60-year-olds? Some of them? Can you prove that this is true of Lucas?

Nope. Your post proves nothing.

"given the infomation in my psychology book, I concluded that the only way for that to happen would be for a very and highly dramatic event to occur in GL's life between the writing and filming of ANH and the writing and filming of AOTC."

"I have found no evidence to suggest that so I must assume that his personality has not changed and that the person who directed ANH is essentially the same person who directed AOTC. If you have evidence to suggest that there was an event that could change his personality, I would very much like to hear it."

Like adopting kids, perhaps? Divorce, maybe?

"George Lucas' personal life was another story. His marriage of 14 years to film editor Marcia Lucas fell apart in 1983 when she left him for another man. They had just adopted one daughter, Amanda. Lucas went on to adopt two more children on his own,"

Get your head out of your books. You don't know near enough about Lucas to be making such judgements about what he does and why he does it. This information isn't hard to find, so you really aren't making much of an effort. Don't confuse knowledge with practical experience.

"I would have been 5 months 20 years ago. Not that it makes much difference."

What could happen in 5 months? ;)

21. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Daddy of them all

"Lucas put his career in limbo after his daughter Amanda was born 17 years ago. He says the force hit him as he cradled baby Amander in his arms. "When my daughter was 10 hours old and I held her for the first time, it was like a bolt of lightening hit me, a transforming jot I'll never forget," he says. "From that moment on, that became my firct priority. Until then, I had loved movies most. After that, movies came second. I just simply said, 'OK, I'm retiring.' put the making of movies on the side."

Sounds to me like a very important moment in his life, more so than the films he was making. I'd be willing to bet he was a very different person after coming out of "retirement", wouldn't you agree?

22. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    Very interesting. For some reason, I never came across those events when I was researching GL Those were very life-changing events. Thank you for bring them to my attention.

Now. Can you explain how those life-changing events affected his directing and writing skills? How did these events change the way he made his movies?

23. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    No offense, but I've more than made my point. Besides, there are other threads (and real life concerns) that hold more of my interest and take up more of my time.

I know this stuff, but I'm not going to do all the research and writing to convince you. Since you clearly missed some important facts in your efforts, maybe you should take this as a sign to do some more searching of your own, and answer your own question.

24. JediStarMoonstruck

Feb 19, 2002
    I have some concerns about the information you provided. The first link says that Amanda was adopted. However the second link seems to be saying that GL was present for her birth.

I know that all of GL's kids are adopted so could you please explain that.

25. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Research, research, research. You obviously like to read. :p

(Nite-nite)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.