***LCC IX BEGINS***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    Ah-greed!
  2. Sith-Man Force Ghost

star 4
    So... Ran into a bit of a complication with our lcc... I start a new job today, and will be working weekends, which is the only time James has off, and my days off happen to be on the days of the week when he is usually the busiest...

So yeah, something new to figure out...

[edit] And to add to the inconvineance, I my shift happens to start an hour before he gets off, and end an hour after he gets off...
  3. Whiteley79 Jedi Knight

star 3
    Most of the choreography for Rivals was done at 3:00 am or improvised on set right before shooting. Time conflicts suck, but it's possible.
  4. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    Work always gets in the way. I quit my job at the theater to shoot Duel of the Dorks :p

Okay, not explicitly, but the timing was great. I signed the papers on my last day and then asked "so can we still shoot that lightsaber duel here?" Not having a regular job made scheduling much easier though. I was bringing in income from a huge roto gig that failed to pay me for six months, and then paid me $500/month while we were shooting. It all worked out rather nicely :)
  5. Joviwan Jedi Padawan

Huh, guess my old account was pruned because I hadn't logged in for 4 years.

Anyway.

[image=http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s207/JoviwanKenobi/looksshopped.png]

Looks a little shopped. Just saying. =P
  6. Sith-Man Force Ghost

star 4
    You got a lot of free time. lol

Yeah, I know, it's still gonna happen no matter what, I was just saying that things never seem to work out correctly, year after year. And when things do seem to start working out, something else happens.

However, everything is all copacetic now. He said that he'll be fine for practicing in the evenings on mon-wed for all summer, as things slowed down since a lot of the people in the school are going out of state since they're not in a full semester. lol

I'm gonna be building a dolly, and a crane/jib for use in the entry, since I start friday on a second job that lasts for a couple weeks and pays $10 an hour. lol I was also thinking of putting together a spin rig for a couple shots that I got in mind. Don't really fell like building a 360 degree dolly track...
  7. Teague Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, in the original picture they weren't holding anything.
  8. KingKool Jedi Master

Howdy, everyone. I got a few questions.

1. I don't know how long my entry will be this year, (I think it will be a little longer than the last one), but I'm going to film it in widescreen, so I think my filesize might get over 50MB if I use the technique I used last year. (It was actually 50.4MB, but thankfully, they said that was OK.)

My old Macintosh doesn't like H.264. Any time it tries to save it as that, it crashes. I have to save things with the regular old Quicktime codec using the Compressor built into FCP (something I was never able to figure out before). What I'm wondering is if anyone out there would be willing to receive my fully finished entry and save it with H.264 on their computer so it'll likely stay under 50MB. There's a chance it won't be necessary, either if I can squeeze it within the 50MB limit anyway, or if our entry goes off the rails and we don't enter (God forbid).

2. Are we going to be enforcing the length rule more strictly this year? I'm almost positive I'm not going over seven minutes, at least. If we are gonna say fie on this, I want my 27-minute long chase scene through the forest. It's really central to the piece, even though the rest of the movie doesn't take place in a forest.

Unrelated, this might not be the place to do this, but something's been bugging me for ages and I wanna talk about it.

Force Lightning in lightsaber fight scenes are a pet peeve of mine for a number of reasons. When done badly, it's not fighting, it's watching two people stare at one another with a hand outstretched. Sometimes, it's interesting (like in Rivals) but to be honest, unless I was playing a direct Emperor analogue, I would never presume my character was skilled enough to actually use Force Lightning.

When we did our fight (Entry 3 from LCC VIII), I had a rule: no Force tricks. We did end up using ONE Force trick, but I knew that if I said that we don't do Force tricks, it would mean we'd only use them when they're REALLY necessary instead of all the time.

Anyone else have a pet peeve they wanna get out in the open, or is this not the appropriate place for this? (We don't have to be specific about the entries, because if only one entry ever did it, it's not really a pet peeve; it's just a gripe.)
  9. Sith-Man Force Ghost

star 4
    One of my biggest, is when a fight isn't rotors bust still has saber sfx. I mean I've seen fights like that which I loved, I just think it takes away from the entry. What I hate even more than that is when it's only partially rotors. (unless the few shots that are roto'd don't work without effects). lol
  10. Psilaef_Zeias Jedi Knight

star 1
    Post LCC X there should be a ACC I (Airsaber Comping Competition.) [face_mischief]
  11. VaporTrail Force Ghost

star 6
    I'd hate to see the ones that can't finish effects on time.
  12. Teague Jedi Master

star 4
    What the hell, man, you've been on the internet too long to make those kind of mistakes. Fixed.

13. R2-DK Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    That's called Freddie Wong's channel on YouTube. :p

http://www.youtube.com/user/freddiew
  14. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    ...so what? No one's opinions should influence how other people choose to make a lightsaber fight. Maybe what you said just struck a nerve with me since Alex vs Nate (and the upcoming AvN2) has had its entire premise on utilizing force powers on a level more akin to our favorite Star Wars video games, so as to distinguish it from the likes of RvD. Instead of avoiding things that haven't worked well in the past (particularly things that are difficult to pull off), why not seek a way to do it right? Or suggest ideas that would make force powers more convincing for you as a viewer.
  15. ElectroFilms Jedi Knight

star 3
    I seriously hope the first part of this is a joke. 95% of the time "chase-scenes" can be completely removed without taking anything away. We don't want to see 6 and a half minutes of running around and 30 seconds of stick bashing.
    Start your film to show what happens After your chase. This is what people really want to see. After all it isn't a chase choreography competition, unless you can do something new.
    Maybe that's just a pet peeve of mine. :p

I don't know if this is also just me, but I think this one goes back to the days of high school. It's called Peer reviewing. Just like you would have someone look at your English paper before you turn it in, have some people critique your entry before you submit it. I'm going to be brutally honest when I say that I watch maybe 3 or 4 entries every year. Why? Some are just for the lack of better words "blah." Nothing creative or new. Just a few static shots of two people stick bashing in their backyard. Or like the person above me stated, just standing there with your hands held out, expecting a visual effect to save you. (Here is where I would give props to AvN. He found a bit more creative way to use Force Lightning.)

I'm sure I say this every year, but I'd like to see something new. Do something creative of heaven's sake.
    Having other people watch your entry only makes your film better. I think most people around here know I'm not one to hold any punches and I will most always speak my mind. I don't praise mediocrity either. This is how I stared out. People were harsh about my work and it made me better.

I have yet to make an LCC entry. Last year it was because I didn't have a car, but other years because at the end of the day I didn't have anything super creative/new. I don't want to scare newbies away but take my words into consideration.

16. R2-DK Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I too rarely watch more than a few entries all the way through. I'll start each one and if I don't see it heading anywhere in the first 30-60 seconds, I just drag the progress bar and scan through to see if anything interesting happens later.

The last competition is the only one where I've ever watched all the entries to the end. And even then it was only because I wanted to see what DIF would say about them.
  17. KingKool Jedi Master

I would be a liar if I said that Alex vs. Nate wasn't somewhere on my mind when I formulated this, and I'd be a liar if I expected you to enjoy my comment.

(watches Alex vs. Nate again)

Alright, Alex vs. Nate does lightning about as well as its ever been done... and I STILL don't really like it.

I think it's just Force Lightning represents something antithetical to what I crave in fight scenes; length and complexity. It always seems like Force Lightning terminates a sequence of choreography. It never seems to lead anywhere. It's hard to keep a fight flowing when someone stand still while a fan of lightning comes out of their hand. Maybe it could be mixed up a bit if the person walked around, or if was used to turn the power on a carousel, or if the lightsaber needed to be charged with lightning, or if both people wore magnetic collars that constricted when they were hit with lightning.

I bet those sound silly, but I've sat here and tried to think of something new and that's all I got. Force Lightning BORES me. It just does. I think it's a dead end that smothers choreography. I think it's one of the things that keeps me from really embracing Rivals (except the shocking the chain bit; that was awesome). The Assassin from LCCVIII didn't have many defenders, but the "taking the light out of the lightsaber" or even the "stop the lightsaber from igniting" from Mike vs. Marshall... at least I hadn't seen those before.

In general, regular Force powers don't bother me much; I just didn't want to rely on them. I also have no problem if people try to use lightning in some new way. The whole reason I appear as a Force ghost in my entry is because I was pretty sure nobody else had done it before. Everything's worth trying, but Force Lightning is something I have never been happy with how it was used, from a choreography standpoint. (As opposed to Duality, where it's just used as a climax.)

I really hope you won't take it personally, Nate. I'm not trying to administrate how someone else makes a duel, but I must be honest with something that has bothered me for ages. I'm sure you're gonna prove me wrong with AvN2, and I look forward to it. As it is, Duel of the Dorks is one of my absolute favorite lightsaber duels of all time. There's a chance I've now rewatched it more times than my own entry.
  18. VaporTrail Force Ghost

star 6
    LCCIII - Eclipse
    [face_mischief]

The trick to any Force power/special weapon/gimmick is that they're only limited by your creativity. After that, it's up to you to make it believable that the character would use this in order to gain an upper hand. Succeed in that (as I feel Nate has with lightning), and you'll grab peoples' attention.
  19. KingKool Jedi Master

That's a bit different, I guess. Also, I misspoke. It was the "evaporating Jedi" thing that I hadn't seen anyone do, and the Force ghost thing just grew from that.

Just to show I'm not just picking on Nate, another trope that confuses me is when the person throws the saber away at the end (excluding Rivals, where it's supported). If it's not his saber (RvB 1 and 2), I understand. But I just think, "those things are expensive! Maybe hang onto it?"
  20. Whiteley79 Jedi Knight

star 3
    I don't think I really get your beef with Force Lightning. When I sat down and wrote out Rivals, I wanted to see a force user brawl that uses every trick in the Force book. If it made sense and helped the fight flow logically, I used it. The lightning chain gag was written before the opening sequence, and I knew I had to set up that the character had that power so when he used it on the chain it would be surprising but obvious. Placing lightning in the begining makes contextual sense, because the fighters start out at range and use it to close the gap between them. Toward the end of the fight, the Sith uses it as more of a defense as he gets thrown against the wall. And Lastly I wanted to induce memories of ROTJ with certain Saber choreography and the Emperor's lightning attack.

Can it be overused? Yes. Over-selled? Yes. But if it makes logical sense as a piece of the antagonist move-set, makes for an exciting moment, catches you by surprise, or invoke memories of the original trilogy, damn right am I gonna use it.

My main beef with saber fights is the first 5 seconds of saber choreography. If you don't suck me in with that first set, even if the moves later are great, the fight doesn't do it for me. Constantine's entry last year was great and had some fantastic choregraphy later in the fight, but they started out with the classic two upper strikes/ two lower strikes repeated and I instantly wrote them off as another bland fight. Unfair of me, because it was a very good fight, but they lost my attention and had to win me back. It's a weird peeve of mine.
  21. KingKool Jedi Master

Maybe that's it. It's a move that exists outside of regular fighting range, so it's not really choreography. I have no problem with it from a cinematic standpoint, but from a choreography standpoint, it's like a commercial break.
  22. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    You just wait, good sir! ;) I totally get what you're saying though. I think we're pretty much avoiding everything you don't like about lightning, and hopefully doing a few things no one has done yet. LucasArts is catching up with my imagination though... them and their resources...
    Thank you! It seriously always brightens my day when people tell me how much they enjoyed it :)
  23. Ende Force Ghost

star 1
  24. NateCaauwe Force Ghost

star 4
    What? I said it brightened my day. That doesn't mean negative comments make it worse. I just get on with my day. I don't have to impress you! :p
  25. Ende Force Ghost

star 1
    You won't win the competition with that thinking. You still got my vote though. :p
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.