***LCC IX BEGINS***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, May 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. SilentBat Jedi Knight

star 4
  2. NateCaauwe Jedi Master

star 4
    I approve.
  3. Vidina Jedi Master

star 4
    Is it, or is this just your opinion? I mean, If I already had a macbook pro instead of my Novus, I'd want the latter. What would I do with a second macbook, or, if I were a windows person, why would I want an apple laptop to begin with? Some people, and I know this is hard to believe, don't care about what they edit with. They just do the best they can with the equipment available, and doesn't fall into the old "I've the best equipment there is, so my film can't possibly suck"-trap. Get it?

Yes, this is arrogance, redefined. Just because I know how to certain things, based on whatever degrees it can be mastered in, doesn't mean I flaunt these "opinions". I don't claim to be the best at anything, and if someone comes along with valid points, I acknowledge them, regardless of my so-called expertise.

This one I can't argue with. A Macbook Pro as a prize would be, to quote Ryan, Fabulous. I'll admit, I wouldn't say no to a novus either, but I wouldn't say no to both. A Macbook Pro is a great way to commemorate the 10th iteration, and I'll bet it could heighten the standard all over, and encourage more people to enter. So, sir, this is a GREAT idea. Just don't get overzealous about it.
  4. VaporTrail Jedi Master

star 6
    Nice, I dig it.
    The cuts were a little jarring the first time, but it reminds me of Battlestar overall and I'm down with that.
  5. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Knight

star 3
    THEY AREN'T SEXY, WE KNOW. lol Its very very makeshift so people who need a bumper now can get going, but I'm definitely fixing it right now.

funfact 2: Three LCC's have been called Lightsaber Choreography Contest: III, V and VI. Its very disconcerting :p
  6. Psilaef_Zeias Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Re: FunFact #1 - The WDs have an ignition sequence? :confused:
  7. NateCaauwe Jedi Master

star 4
    Clearly you've never owned one.
  8. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Knight

star 3
    ^Win.

Funfacts 3-1 million: Here are the remains of bumpers never to see the light of day. One was a homage to Star Tours, the other to the carbon freezing scene in Empire. I really liked the music I did on the Star Tours one, but oh well.

Star Tours homage
    music: http://raelliott.com/LCC/Battle%20of%20the%20Masters.mp3
    Blocking render (65mb, don't know why I made it so big...): http://raelliott.com/LCC/flying%203.mov
    Starspeeder model WIP:[image=http://raelliott.com/LCC/V1_60_ao.jpg]
    Color test: [image=http://raelliott.com/LCC/ffff.jpg]
    Original Starspeeder-free version which was just a trench run with some lasers shooting back and forth: [image=http://raelliott.com/LCC/x%20%280-00-00-00%29.jpg]

Empire throwback
    The Han Solo in carbonite figure was going to be lifted out, holding the logo. Got pretty deep into modelling it all, but started to exceed what my comp could handle in terms of final render times. Probably will release the finished scene because I'd been working towards screen accuracy, and did a decent job at it.
    Pre-viz done in Ae:

Random logos: [image=http://raelliott.com/LCC/Comp%202%20%280-00-00-00%29.jpg]
    This one I really liked the idea of, until someone pointed out its resemblance to Space.com's logo, which means they went into the future, stole my idea, and went back in time just to have it as their header on the website. [image=http://raelliott.com/LCC/logo.jpg]
    This one was one of my favorites: the saber crystal activates and the camera quickly zooms backwards up the hilt of the saber as various parts are moving and beams of electricity shoot back and forth. It eventually backed through a wall, and then the saber behind the wall cut out "IX". Much like the carbon freeze bumper, I didn't have time to render it out with the details I wanted.
    [image=http://raelliott.com/LCC/LCC%20Bumper%203.jpg]
  9. VaporTrail Jedi Master

star 6
    I think Ricky has dibs on the logo for LCCX.

Objections?
  10. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Knight

star 3
    Actually, you may be pleased to find out that ObiJuan snagged me for a three-picture deal two years ago, and we have a great idea for the bumper next year too! I just went back and counted every variation on a bumper I've done: its 14, with six actually coming close to completion. I'm commited to say the least :p
  11. BenMcEwan Jedi Youngling

star 3
    Just make the bumpers for the next 10 years whilst you're at it o_O, haha!
  12. ObiJuan2080 Jedi Master

star 4
    It's August 30th and I have yet to still receive an entry. So, who is in and who is out?
  13. KingKool Jedi Padawan

I am definitely in, but with the way I saved the entry last night, it's 58MB. (On the other hand, it's big and looks great.) Is that too big? I can try making it a bit smaller, or reduce the bitrate or something.
  14. ObiJuan2080 Jedi Master

star 4
    Reducing the bitrate helps tremendously. What also helps is software that estimates the target file size as you adjust the bitrates. If you can bring it down to 52MB, I'll accept it.
  15. -Phi- Jedi Master

star 3
    Considering the bumper just became available yesterday, this shouldn't be a surprise. I'm still not clear if the posted bumper is the final version, or is it still being changed and updated? Either way we're still in, but we'd like the final bumper so we can compress to match the file size.
  16. Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling

star 3
    I'm in too, but I might not be able to send it till last second (or later) because I'm not available to render with the new bumper. It did come a little late.
  17. DX6channel Jedi Knight

star 1
    I'm in (still working on the effects though[face_hypnotized] [face_blush] [face_beatup] ).
  18. Teague Jedi Padawan

star 4
    For the record, the bumper you went with is far, far, far and away the best one. Aesthetically, in execution, everything. Looks pro.

Also, you made a major mistake with the Star Tours one, because Starspeeders are not red god damn it, George. :mad:
  19. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks, I appreciate it. The other ones in the end all felt very fan-filmish, not logo-ish enough. This one I whipped up Sunday night in an hour. The carbonite one was literally about to be the bumper saturday night until I called it quits on that.

Now about this bumper situation. It was my understanding this was the bumper to be used. I pumped it out fast so everyone could just get going. While I can't say Iove the ending of it, I'm willing to just let it stay the finished one. I'm still rendering the version I had intended right now anyways, so I can show everyone. But, if people need more time to finish whether it be because I was late or you need to finish fx: I vote for a week's extension on the deadline to give the entries some time. I'm sure many entrants have just dived back into school as well, so they may need a little more time to give their entries a bit of tlc.
  20. Teague Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Bear in mind, there's six folks who are changing job schedules to do a judging show on a particular day. ;)

Not saying "we can't pull that off," just saying have it in mind.
  21. Ricky_Calrissian Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh if that's been set in motion then nevermind, forgot about the live judging. I don't want to shift that around. MOVE ALONG FOLKS, MOVE ALONG.
  22. AaronE23 Jedi Youngling

Has a date been chosen for the judging day. We are trying to plan a judging party with some friends and would like to try and schedule off work to be able to watch it.

If you guys do have a date and can reveal it that would be great.
  23. Teague Jedi Padawan

star 4
    Saturday the 10th is what we've been planning.
  24. AaronE23 Jedi Youngling

Ok thanks. Now to just try and get work off that day.
  25. VaporTrail Jedi Master

star 6
    I'm amused.
    Questions about switching the deadline come up each year, I'm fairly sure it never changes. The contest even got pushed back months this year so there'd be more warm months available.

Deadline's a deadline, folks.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.