main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC VI Entries Released View/Vote/Review***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Nope. Flyte's the baby.

That's right, kid. I said it.

-Vaportrail

2. FilipeMonteiro

FilipeMonteiro Jedi Youngling

Jun 10, 2008
    Small Warning: Me=fjrsm.

Brandon's gonna get you in your sleep, Vapes

3. _BrandonFlyte

_BrandonFlyte Jedi Knight

Jun 2, 2008
    [image=http://www.the-trades.com/hprice/DVD/DinosaursS3-4Stillcap2.jpg]

4. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Ha!
    So the question remains... which one is 'not the mama'?

Man. We lost another one to the 'real name' trend.

-Vaportrail

5. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006
    My name doesn't fit as a username. I have been wondering about changing my username, though. I mean, Robi-Wan is a little corny, right?

6. FilipeMonteiro

Jun 10, 2008
    How do you know that's my real name??? Muhahaha-- yeah it is my real name.

@Brandon - do you mind posting the pic again? it's not showing...

7. Robi-Wan

Oct 11, 2006
    Just click the link and put a question mark (?) at the end of the link, then hit enter.

8. FilipeMonteiro

Jun 10, 2008
    Oh. Thanks, Robi ;).

9. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    No more than you are. :eek:
    Seriously tho, don't change it.

Alright, now where was I?

Jacob_Landis-Eigsti: We've talked about this a little. I think the digital camera moves are not something you want to rely on, especially when showing something to people in the field who have a better eye for this sort of thing. It looks like you're trying to get away with it looking like you were actually moving the camera. Next time, that might be something to try.
    I think getting rid of the digital camera motion and perhaps cropping this to 16:9 would help showcase it a lot better. Also, while I understand your reasoning for the b&w, I don't think it really helps out any. Maybe you could dial the colors down to the point right before they turn b&w in the garage. That'll mute it a lot, and you can still have the color pop out at you once you move to the outdoors.
    That being said, the fighting doesn't look bad. I think your roto is a bit rushed though, which makes the 'sabers look like they're doing some things (like switching from one side of your body to the other) faster than they are, which adds to this looking a little unnatural.
    The choreography looks somewhat interesting, if a little staged at times. There is some good stuff here, especially in terms of physical stunts. I love that you used a double-saber with two different colors.
    Then there's all the 'House of Flying Sabers' stuff, wow. That's just fun. You get creativity points for that one.

Ramsaur: There's several amateur touches when it comes to shooting this one. Tightening up the edit is a big one, you want to try and keep it flowing. It seems obvious by watching this that you were doing a few moves from one camera angle, then moving to the next one. I mean, that's a good way to do it, it just doesn't have to be obvious.
    The fight's alright, it just seems like there's a lot of stick-bashing, and lots of pausing. Keeping two independently moving sabers tangled up by one double-saber doesn't seem like it should be able to last for long, but you kept getting caught up in a 4-blade saber lock. It seems like there could've been something else going on here.
    With a little more practice and some better choreography-based camera angles, the hand holding segment could've been really interesting.

ResisterOfEvil: Is your Jedi dragging his feet? lol. Certainly sounds like it.
    I could not believe how fast this opening fighting shot seemed. I found myself watching your feet to check if it was sped up or not. If it was, shame on you, if not, well... good work. The line the Jedi delivers right after sounds so cinematic, it's too bad we don't get a good shot of his face saying it.
    This seems like a more traditional OT-style fight, which works. It's faster than the OT, but I think you get what I mean.
    The apprentice fight seems a bit slower than the other, but I like that you focus on the Master circling them while they fight in the foreground. It's a cool moment. I was considering this one on my list, but unfortunately, some of the others did just a bit better IMO. Definitely a cool fight, though.
    I'm trying to understand your fascination with feet, by the way. o_O

Ryan vs. Brandon 2: I'm jealous of your cinematography... again.
    The fight seemed very familiar in style to RvB1 and RvD2. I noticed a couple of similar move/camera angle combinations, along with moves themselves. It's a good solid fight, and I really liked it. I do like that you kept it thematically the same as the first RvB by using multiple sabers along with the convention of losing and stealing them from an opponent.
    There's also a lot of good practical (or stock-footage) effects in here, which really help sell elements of the fight. The 'pft, get this outta my face' saber-throw looks excellent.
    Overall, it's a good fight, but like RvB1, I find myself enjoying it because of the craftiness of the movements and the skill involved, not really any feeling of suspense or

10. Laughing_Cheese

Laughing_Cheese Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2006
    Nope, it was not sped up.

Note to future commentators: THE RESISTANCE HAS BEEN SHOT UTTERLY AND COMPLETELY IN NTSC 29.97 FPS AND NO SPEED TRICKS HAVE BEEN ADDED.

Thank you. :p

11. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    i've been thinking about changing mine too. i feel like i'm stealing Ryan_W's everytime i post. but than again, my name is different...

Ryan_W/Joel_K

i mean, i see a difference. i dunno about you guys though.

whoa, way off topic. sorry.[face_worried]

12. FilipeMonteiro

Jun 10, 2008
    You would actually have to create another account. That's what I did.
    Anyways, back to the Entries.

13. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I'm thinking of hitting the "Use the real name for your username" thing, coz Wookieefett is lame!

14. Robi-Wan

Oct 11, 2006
    And smelly[face_sick]

15. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Back on the topic of LCC now...

16. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Older than my what?

17. FilipeMonteiro

Jun 10, 2008
    I thought Brandon was the same age as you or so.

18. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    [face_plain] Blah.

I haven't had time to follow this thread at all BUT I've just mailed out my reviews. If anyone wants a more in-depth analysis I could provide one but I?ll PM it rather than post publicly.

19. ShaneFarley22

ShaneFarley22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2008
    I rather like when the judges post their reviews publicly. Most of the time, I see the advice and reviews for other entries and apply it to myself. But if you'd rather not, I'm up for the PM for Whiteley's video.

20. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    When will the winners be announced... or did I miss a post?

21. FilipeMonteiro

Jun 10, 2008
    There is still no news about that.

22. StickGuyProductions

StickGuyProductions Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2007
    Yes, I'm wondering too...

23. VaporTrail

May 19, 2002
    Nice.

24. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006

How have you mailed them out?

25. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    E-mailed to each of the other Judges + ObiJuan.

As it stands they're about the same length as my normal LLC reviews though. I wish they could be more in-depth... hence the offer to be more in depth afterwards, depending on if there are any questions after all the reviews are posted.

I've been busy with the Cyberpunk Doc. [face_plain]

I and the other judges were asked to submit their reviews and come to a unanimous decision as to the winners before the end of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.