main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC VI Entries Released View/Vote/Review***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jun 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    I'm kinda leading the charge here, as ObiJuan put it. I'm waiting on e-mails from two other judges. So far, Laszlo and myself are unanimous for our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place entries. Once the others are in, I'll announce the winners in a new thread, and the judges will post their full reviews in that thread as well.

2. beafet

beafet Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 12, 2001
    I was thinking Brandon looked kinda hot.

You know, for a dude.

Anyway, I watched a few of these, good job guys.

[face_plain]

3. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Ditto

4. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    Weeeelllll... if it's ok with Whiteley I can post a more in-depth look, but only because it's one of my top trois, and it would analyze the film as a whole, not just choreo.

Distracted Laz is... distracted.

5. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Don't worry all you Ditto Heads. The judges reviews will all be posted once the winners are announced.

6. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    Whoa, hey.

7. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    It's ok with me. Though maybe after the contest is over and the other reviews are up. Thanks though.

8. Jacoblandiseigsti

Jacoblandiseigsti Jedi Youngling

Jun 3, 2008
    Vaportrail Wrote:
    I think your roto is a bit rushed though, which makes the 'sabers look like they're doing some things (like switching from one side of your body to the other) faster than they are, which adds to this looking a little unnatural.

Hm...I didn't find any, maybe I missed them. Where are they, I'll fix them. Thanks for your comments dude, I watched your lightsaber fights on youtube, pretty sweet man.

9. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    DO we still post reviews here?

10. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    Either thread would be fine. Just not both of them as I'm sure that is consider spamming.

11. Whiteley79

Whiteley79 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2006
    Might as well stick with this thread to keep the reviews with all the others. Best leave the other for the judges responses. Still waiting for all of those for everyone elses.

12. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
  13. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    This is interesting:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsfR_r-71OU&feature=related

14. SilentBat

Aug 28, 2006
    Just cause they keep asking and I do really want to review them here it is:

12th Entry - Whiteley79

0:20 I would had liked another CU of Shane (white shirt) just as there was of Eric (black shirt) before the sequence of the lightsabers going down in the ready happened.

0:30 I always love how Eric uses his strength over Shane's speed.

0:33 Reminded me of Harry Potter vs. Dementor in Order of the Phoenix. Even the lightening is sort of the same.

0:35 The cut though, is sort of weird.

0:39 Nice speedy kick from Shane. Again, these fighters are really playing to their strengths.

0:41 Slick

0:50 The cinematography/cut really hurts this move, can't really see it. The shot is not selling it.

0:55 Ooo! This, too me was the most surprising and well-played out move. I really felt the hit Shane took. When someone is his unexpectedly like that it really hurts. Vidina said something about "nothing new" well quite frankly this is something I've never seen before and it was pulled of extremely well. Eric is really dueling a smart duel. Making his opponent miss and then attack. Also I love how afterward there isn't some long pause where you guys are staring each other down, you guys just go right back into it.

0:59 Not a very good move. I've never liked that move ever since I saw it in RvD when Ryan did it to Dorkman, it's just impractical.

0:59 - 1:08 Some really good choreography that is trashed by the cinematography. What you need to remember is that the camera sells the choreography.

1:11 Ooooooo Eric's saber is behind Shane's, this would be a pretty instant kill but then in the next cut Eric's saber is in front of Shane's. Mmmm? You can't fool me :)

1:15 This didn't really work for me. Don't completely understand why he's getting up like that.

General Comment: I really need some sound. That's also hurting the entry for me a bit. It just feels to quiet but you guys are having a pretty hard duel.

General Comment: I really can't believe you pull off the strong guy vs. speed guy so well. I would think the speedy guy would just win out so easy but he really cant be stopped.

1:41 Weird cut

1:43 Eric is in front of the move. Can't really see it. Again cinematography hurting choreography. A way to remedy this would have been to get a left-profile angle on Shane as this was all happening.

1:45 I like the kill shot too :)

1:56 - 2:06 Andrew Kramer Tutorial 8

Setting: Liked the setting. Reminded me of Order of the Phoenix. Not much could have been used but of what was used was good.

Editing: Alright, there was a few sloppy moments.

Visual Effects: None that I could see.

Choreography: This is the strongest point of the entry but it was tarnished by the cinematography. Think of it like this. If the greatest bit of choreography was going but the camera was shooting at a tree, away from the action, no one would see it. Same with if a character is in front of a bit of choreography we can't see. Or if the choreography just doesn't look as good without an appropriate cut.

Overall: I think your entry last year was a bit better. Still like this one though but it just felt rough around the edges and I had to dig in to find the nice squishy goodness (yeah I have no idea what kind of metaphor that was supposed to be). Anyways, I really do like the speedster vs. the strong brute. You guys do very well with this. My favorite bit of choreography is in this entry. That would be 0:55. Keep it up guys, can't wait to see what you have next year (hehe).

15. ShaneFarley22

ShaneFarley22 Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2008
    thanks for the in depth review man. Eric and I really appreciate it i'm sure everyone does. I cant wait till WvSII

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.