main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC VI Rules***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    not sure why there's a final count when people just drop at the last sec. but I'm in.

2. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    Hey. Does the same rule apply last year where we could enter more than one entry if we want. Someone on TFN lives near me, but not near enough for me to go all the time, since I get my drivers liscense in the end of march, so that would only give me two months to film and edit. So I was thinking I could film one sooner, and then if time permits I could film with the other person if he is okay with it once we talk.
    Thanks
    Bruce

3. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    So tempted to enter, but so busy...

4. StickGuyProductions

StickGuyProductions Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 1, 2007
    same here dammit >_>

5. Wookieefett

Wookieefett Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Well I really want to enter this year and make something that isn't a load of crap (like last years) lol, but I'm just not sure if I know anyone that would want to help me out. Also, I have another two projects going on at the moment. So I might not have the time anyway! Hmmmm... It's tempting. I'll let you guys know within a week or so.

6. BkStudio

BkStudio Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2007
    I got access i got help this year, i just need to make some calls and this will be a comeback for me, and a breeze compared to last year, I got a top notch a camera somone who actually knows how to work it, great minds to help and some new effects, this will be good.

7. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    You can have multiple entries.

IMO, those who gave in multiple entries last year resulted in awful entries. Their attention was split in two and it shows through their entry that they didn't put much effort into either or. So even though it is allowed, I do discourage it.

8. nate_the_great

nate_the_great Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    Oh wow. Love to get in on this, but no guarantees about anything. Just curious: were most of the entries last time wide or full screen? And is there a preference in that arena? Just mildly curious.

9. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    I'd like to say I'm in, but there's a few factors.
    Once I can be assured I'll have both a partner, then that my or their camera has full capture capabilities, I'll let you know. As of right now, I can't get anything from my camera onto my computer. I'm working on it, though.

I am trying to find a job and move out of this area, too. Who knows when that'll happen.

-Vaportrail

10. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    There is no preference this year. Use what you like.

11. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Personally, I like both ways for different reasons. As far as "realism," I think that a solid, flat emitter looks more realistic in that it can be thought of as a sort of charged electrode or something like that. However, I've seen some emitters with holes that looked pretty cool. Like I said, I like either one, as long as there is some interesting design in/around it.

12. Sith-Man

Sith-Man Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 19, 2004
    You should move down here to SA, then you'd have someone to fight each year. :D

13. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    Hmm, with the extended time frame, I just might be able to pull off an entry this year. Lets hope, and good luck boys and girls.

14. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    What about if your both?! Haha I couldn't resist...

15. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    I definitely like the sound of "YouTube Favorite" and regardless of whether the actual competition was held on youtube there should be a LCC Channel just for when AFTER the voting is done and it could be up there. Because a lot of people ask where they can find or watch previous LCC entries and usually they have to download loads of massive files. Streaming would be very nice. Just an idea.

16. Goddard11

Goddard11 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 19, 2003
    Well I think last LCC people didn't get around to watching my entry, because it was last on the list and because of the download sizes. I didn't like having to watch 18 different full resolution video files, although it should be an option for full resolution, I think it would make sense to have them displayed on youtube or some other streaming player as well.

And, having all of the videos playable at a single resolution and within a single tabbed browsing window makes more sense to decide what your favorite is, instead of having to keep every single full resolution file on your computer so you can compare them.

17. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Personally, I prefer keeping video files on my computer; I'm not fan of streaming video (I don't know why, but I don't feel relaxed in watching a video clip unless I'm playing it straight from my computer, independent of the internet, and in full screen).

Anyway, if the file size limit is 45MB, keeping them on your computer shouldn't be an issue. Even if there are 20 entries, that's only like 900 MBs. Sure, that might take a little bit to download, but as far as hard drive space it's not that much these days. Besides, the video quality would be far better; personally, I think streaming video compression is generally crap. Well, most streaming video anyway, since they usually use FLVs(which suck). Streaming DIVX, on the other hand, is not bad. However, YouTube (which most people seem to be suggesting) uses the crappy FLV compression. So, I say just keep them as straight-up download files (YouTube doesn't give a save-to-disk option anyway, and I would imagine that some people will want that, maybe even need it).

18. Wookieefett

Dec 22, 2005
    Well why don't we upload them to stage6?

19. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    While I won?t compete I?ll throw my hat into the judges? ring if there are still plans for a panel. It may curtail my constant nagging on the lack of real reviews in the last couple contests.

20. fjrsm

fjrsm Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 25, 2007
    I'll be sure to hop on to this boat!

In other words: I'll try to get my video in!

But wouldn't it be best to be on the Summer??

21. Sojourn

Sojourn Jedi Master star 2

Dec 31, 2005
    Since it wasn't listed in the rules, I take it the contestants are allowed to use whatever kind of camerawork they'd like? I seem to remember past competitions where the video had to be shot from a limited number of fixed angles, to showcase only the choreography, and not the filmmaking technique. That also led to there being two categories of entries, one of the fixed, choreography-only videos, and another of the more film-y ones.

Take care,
    Sojourn

22. ElectroFilms

ElectroFilms Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2007
    last year, i believe, they were also judged on camera choreography by one or more of the judges.

23. section33

section33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 24, 2005
    The Brits are in! Its game on guys!

24. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Yeah thats how it was last year. Plus, I think it's a challenge to tell the duel through good camera angels so that should be kept in.

25. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    During the Summer most people like to go out, or are on vacation (if you're still in school). I wouldn't want to get in the way of that.

Any camera angle they like. No restrictions on that.

Laszlo, you're number two on list for judges.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.