main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

***LCC VI Rules***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FSFilms

FSFilms Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 7, 2005
    We're in! No maybes or hemming and hahing here.

Seriously, that is a long-ass timeframe. We did last years in two weeks.so shame on excuses. I guess this year we have to top bikini girl. Or untop.

Maybe by the time this contest is over, all the videos are submitted, everyone's watched them, voted on them, let them settle, the thread has dipped to page ten, the participants have moved on to lead active and engaging lives in their chosen fields, raised families, died a ripe old age surrounded by loved ones, risen from the dead when intelligent machines parasitically use our decayed bodies against the living, taken earth in the name of glorious artificial intelligence, lived out their usefullness as vessels, watched the machines exodus the earth after a rumour of the 'blue screen of death' begins to circulate, decomposed and are fossilized in the lifeless dirt, been reduced to dust by the eventual expansion of the sun and are spread across the cosmos, we'll even get judges reviews form the last contest!

2. Jace Taran

Jace Taran Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 2, 2000
    Can we roto the saber effect, or are we supposed to leave it untouched in that respect (so that it doesn't distract from choreography)? Other than that, are there any restrictions at all to fx in general?

Also, if I understand correctly, we could actually begin working on out entry before the official start (as in, immediately if we can/want to), only we're not allowed to release it until the end of the contest. Is that right?

3. Laszlo

Laszlo Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 9, 2006
    The only reason I would say not to roto the blades is if for some vague reason it would eat into the time of choreographing and filming. Those last two should be your priority, don't leave one month to film and 4 to do post.

4. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    I wouldn't see why it would be a problem to start now.

Evil-Henchman, how much is shipping overseas for your sabers? Any idea? I might be able to help cover that if the winners ended up not being state-side.

Sage H.

5. ObiJuan2080

ObiJuan2080 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 31, 2004
    I see it like this;

Jan. (free month) - Plan a.k.a Preproduction/Chroeograph

Feb. (contest begins) - Choreograph and practice

Mar. - Practice some more then film.

Apr. - Practice some more then film/Reshoots or pickup shots

May and June - Post. It's best to have another person to help roto. Hell maybe two other people, it'll get done faster. Look for a perfect place to break up the shots and divide the work. Also, if you and the people you got to help roto are using different versions of AE, roto the footage and send an image sequence (.PNG) to the one person who is going to put it all together. No need to render out huge video files.

Thats how I would have done it, pending there aren't set backs and all.

Also, roto'ing isn't really necessary. You do it if you have the time. If not, just send in your entry anyways.

6. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    Heh...

Sage H.

7. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    True, that's one way. Or you can do it like Mik3 and I did last time:

Feb: Meet once, go over some choreography.
    Mar: Too busy. Try to meet up and fail.
    Apr: Finally meet up. Realize you forgot choreography. Choreograph one evening and one day. Film next day. Spend next day rotoscoping. Head home.
    Rotoscope for a week straight. Submit.

It worked.
    Sort of. I'm still pretty happy with what we came up with. It might not be winning material, but it looks great.

-Vaportrail

8. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Is there any rule that we have to declare our participation? Or can I just like, I dunno, do it, not tell anyone, and submit it on time?

Not that I'm planning to, but maybe who knows sorta. yeah...

9. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    The person submitting the entry has to give me their board name, or if it's an outsider, their real name. Something has to go next to their entry. Entries without a name will not be accepted.

10. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Right, but, like, now? Or when I enter maybe? Like, the day before the deadline I go "Hey, maybe I WILL submit an entry!" So I quick film one, edit it together, and send it to you. That's ok then?

11. NateCaauwe

NateCaauwe Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    At least I can most likely release the final finished version of our entry from last year before this year's contest officially begins :p

12. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004

yes

13. Sage_Halcyon

Mar 3, 2002
    C'mon, Tumble... You know you're good with me, man!

:p

Sage H.

14. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    That's mighty nice of ya. Depends on what country it's going to. You're looking at around $20 to $40 for 1 saber. Since it would be 2 sabers in one box, the price will definately not double. I'm thinking $25 to $50.

I've shipped to Norway (hi Robi-Wan), Scotland, England, Australia and of course, the U.S. and I've only made and sold 8 hilts. Must... get... shop... setup... soon.

15. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Can we start writing our names out on list if we think we're joining?

We've got a rough draft of our script done!

16. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd love to be a judge in this competition, considering I won't be entering this year. That ok?

17. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Modified to suit my needs :p

-Spiff

18. BruceM

BruceM Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2006
    instead of a list like last year where if someone is thinking of joining, they add there name to it. I think instead that we should only add our name once about half or more of our entry is filmed, so that the number of people on the list is pretty acurate, so we dont see 40 people like last year and end up with 18 entries.
    Bruce

19. nate_the_great

nate_the_great Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    Not to be argumentative, but what's wrong with that? I think the list last year worked out fine.

20. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    18 was fantastic. The quality of the duels, of course, were not. But the entries were good.

21. nate_the_great

nate_the_great Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 21, 2005
    I know this question has come up before, but what have we said in the past about copyrighted background music? Are they ok or are they off limits? I was pretty sure that they were ok, but wasn't sure. Thanks.

22. Justicetoall

Justicetoall Jedi Master star 1

Nov 10, 2004
    Although I have been thinking about entering for the longest time I will not due to not having my stuff together, and not foreseeing having it together in time for this contest. Not to mention the fact I know no 20+ year old with a serious face and enough of a star-wars geek factor to do such a thing around here. However, I would like to input on that list thing:

I'd refrain from making a list in the beginning stages. I'd start a list when you get the first contest entry. That would be a confirmed list of entries rather than people like me saying they enter, but pull out at the last moment because they couldn't get their stuff together.

23. ObiJuan2080

Jan 31, 2004
    You're number three. I just need one more. Don't want to get crazy with judge on the count of what happened last time.

BruceM is right. I hated modifying that list over and over again lol. So let's wait until everyone starts filming, that's pretty much a guarantee.

BG music is fine. Use any that you like that matches the mood. I know I'm being indirectly specific, but Hip Hop, IMO (so no follow up arguments), does not make good BG music for a saber duel. Again IMO

24. HERODA

HERODA Jedi Youngling

Oct 29, 2004
    I'm curious as to what the new string of songs will be for this contest.
    I think last LCC we had the Episode III Soundtrack as a pretty popular one, right?

25. Robi-Wan

Robi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 11, 2006

Hip Hop doesn't make good music at all. Hip Hop, trance, techno and all those genres are a disgrace to music. If any entries use that as BG music, I won't watch them. But that's just me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.