***LCC VI Rules***

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ObiJuan2080, Jan 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
  1. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
    I guess you could always mute it if the music was a problem (since it's all about choregraphy anyway), but hopefully it wouldn't come to that. I mean, I certainly hope that someone has a better sense of appropriate music than that.
  2. Covert-Sniper Jedi Knight

star 2
    If you need another judge, I am willing to participate.
  3. ElectroFilms Jedi Knight

star 3
    We can post screenshots correct?
    Can't imagine there being anything wrong with that.
  4. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh I'm in. Juan, I promise I won't let you down this year ;)

And Robin, I'll be heading your way around feb-march, so stay tuned ;)
  5. Evil-Henchman Force Ghost

star 4
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes. ;)

Enlightened people will realize that there is no such thing as bad music (lyrics yes, music no). It's all a matter of personal taste. For example. I absolutely hate almost all country music with a passion (I only like a few country songs from my youth). I often joke that it makes my ears bleed. Does that make it bad? No. It just means that I really really really really don't like it.

And Robi, if by Hip Hop you mean Rap then it's on man. 80's rap is the shiznit. The new stuff... not so much.

To get back on topic... I used a song that I guess could be techno in my entry in LCC3. It was "Firestarter" by Prodigy. Personally I felt it was perfect duel music... as are two other songs by Prodigy, "Smack my Bith up" (misspelling intentional) and "Breath". If you don't agree, that's fine. The creaters of the two Charlie's Angels movies and I like it so there, nyah.

It's all a matter of personal taste and opinion. Use what music seems to suit your duel best to you, even if a lot of people may not like it. As long as you like it, that's all that matters.
  6. Rhys Force Ghost

star 4
  7. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

An entry with that in the background is grounds for instant disqualification [face_laugh] :p

As for the screen grabs. It's best if you keep things secret 'til the end. If I was an entrant, I wouldn't show anyone anything. I like the element of surprise.
  8. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    We all knew Ryan were going to lose RvD2, still, we all wanted screenshots and/or trailers. Thing is, even though my/our entry this year will revolutionize the industry in every way possible, we won't post screens. We just don't see the point ;)
  9. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    I take it you lot haven't heard Hip Hop outside the mainstream and radio.

Thank you! I hope no one is discouraged from using any music that they want to use ... especially rap. And I agree with you Evil-Henchman, that Hip Hop/Rop was really great in the late eighties and early ninties but today it's harder to find good Hip Hop/Rap but it's out there (i.e. Lupe Fiasco!)

That song doesn't work for any duel beyond the fact that it's rap/hip hop/reggae.
  10. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    I actually agree with him, and I've heard a lot of Hip Hop outside of mainstream and radio. However, I do believe we had this discussion last year, so I'm not gonna go there :p
  11. Robi-Wan Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, I dislike hip hop heavily, and the same thing with rap. All this "I'm a gangsta and I'm so freakin' cool with ma' bling bling." (c)rap. And yes, I realize not all rap/hip hop is about that. I'm not gonna take this music thing any further.

Moving along.

Vidina: Wait, what?:confused:
  12. SilentBat Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah, I say when end the musical discussion ... onto ... wait ... what have we been talking about?
  13. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
    The original question was whether or not we were allowed to use copyrighted background music, to which the answer is yes (after all, there are non-SW soundtracks that would work very well, perhaps even in a SW setting). So, the question has been answered. Probably time to move back on topic.

One question though: Obi-Juan, you said that we can start preliminary work (pre-production) before the official contest begins, but would it be ok to start filming before then (this is purely hypothetical, as it assumes that anyone would actually be ready to start filming before then)?
  14. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh yeah, its fine. I only made that example not just to show how one could go about it but to show that they have a lot of time to do it. 6 months is a long time, enough time to get things done.
  15. Jace Taran Jedi Master

star 4
    Yep, six months is a long time; no worries there.

Five months and three weeks later...

Ah, crap! The contest ends in a week! I gotta get started!

:p

Although, I would imagine that at least some entries could end up like this...I know I tend to procrastinate.
  16. Kaat Jedi Master

star 4
    Don't get me wrong, but in the first post, it says that the deadline for entries is mai the 31st, 23:59:59. So, am I miscounting this, or doesn't february + march + april + mai, and eventually + january not only make 5 months in total, and 4 if you start in february?

Not that this isn't enough time, though. I just wondered why people started talking about 6 months.
  17. Vidina Force Ghost

star 4
    Because it's six months from now.

Robi-Wan: I'll head to Oslo in a couple of months. What say you we try to team up a bit better this year? ;)
  18. Kaat Jedi Master

star 4
    But we have the first month of the year now. June is the sixth month of the year; and that month doesn't count anymore, because the entry must be sent in by the 1st of june already. So, isn't it actually five months, from now?

1: january
    2: february
    3: march
    4: april
    5: may

... ?
  19. TigerCraneFist Chosen One

star 4
    You guys making an entry in Oslo? Cool, that's only like a two hour train ride from me ^^ Too bad I'm a judge and really don't have time :p
  20. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    Kaat this is for your bud.

"Contest starts Friday, February 1st 2008 and the deadline for entries is Sunday, June 1st 2008. I threw in an extra month. Your entry must be in my hands before 11:59:59 PM, EST Saturday May 31 2008. That's 8:59:59 PM, PST."

and...

" Jan. (free month) - Plan a.k.a Preproduction/Chroeograph

Feb. (contest begins) - Choreograph and practice

Mar. - Practice some more then film.

Apr. - Practice some more then film/Reshoots or pickup shots

May and June - Post. It's best to have another person to help roto. Hell maybe two other people, it'll get done faster. Look for a perfect place to break up the shots and divide the work. Also, if you and the people you got to help roto are using different versions of AE, roto the footage and send an image sequence (.PNG) to the one person who is going to put it all together. No need to render out huge video files."
  21. ShadowDuelist Force Ghost

star 4
    If it has to be to you before June 1, you really can't count June here. [face_shame_on_you]
  22. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    5 months 3 weeks 6 days 11 hours 59 mins. 59 seconds and 59 milliseconds :p
  23. Kaat Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, that was what caused my confusion. Am I understanding this correctly that those people who decide not to add any kind of visual effects to their footage must hand in their finished work before june and sit around for another month, waiting for other people to finish their entry's post production?
  24. ObiJuan2080 Force Ghost

star 4
    If you hand yours in let's say in April, unroto'ed and no effects, it will not go up until several days after the deadline. I'm looking at Friday June 6 so everyone will have the weekend to download and view.

The week of June 9th and on, the judges can take the time to review.

Yes I like planning ahead....way ahead.

So far I have four judges. I need one more. Anyone?
  25. tumblemoster Jedi Master

star 4
    Kaat- I think that was a suggested workflow, not a rule. Just turn it in on time and you'll be fine.
Moderators: AdamBertocci
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.