main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lead in novels for the OT? Good idea or not?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CeiranHarmony, Mar 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Each Prequel Era movie got a novel and a lead-in novel, telling the story just before the film, up to its start. though lots of comics and other EU already covered most of the OT Era and the lead ins, would you like to read books of this kind for the old trilogy?

f.e. an ANH lead in novel about Leia intercepting the Death Star plans, departing from alderaan, being in the imperial senate on coruscant facing palpatine, etc.?

we already know the story of the plans retireval from katarns and the x-wing pilots point of view from the computer games. but now we get the rebellion, and other point of views. Bail Organa, Alderaan, Mon Mothma as of ANH, Leia, maybe add Winter on a rebel mission, Coruscant shortly before ANH, Tarkin and the deathstar destroying despraye, etc.

all that known stuff and more unknown combined into a lead in ANH novel. would you like it, if so lets make a petition and hope the official ones hear us!

for ROTJ we have Shadows of the Empire as lead in, for TESB the upcoming Zahn novel might work, I think, but ANH needs something as well!

2. DarthBale

DarthBale Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 20, 2005
    The two-part comic story arc in Star Wars: Empire provides some lead-in. Issues 5 and 6, I believe. Tells us what happens to Lord Tion as well.

3. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    yeah, comics, radio dramas and computer games provide informations for lead in, but a novel that features the complete lead in events from different point of views, combined with a total storyline would be nice, I think.

what events would you include and what leave out for the other EU materials to cover? or that had been covered there?

4. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    Why take a risk and have an author completely contradict everything else that's been done in the games, radio, and comics? I'd rather new stories be told (that don't contradict) rather than re-hashing the same stuff.

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Radio Dramas basicly, for all intents and purposes, contain the definitive lead-in to events in the movies, with exception to ROTJ, but at least there you already have SOTE.

They did publish the scripts for the Radio Dramas as well, so they do exist in book form, though I believe they are currently out of print.

6. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    I don´t mean reashing, but telling and mentioning the already existing stuff, from a different point of view, without altering stuff. the main part would be completely new. politics on Coruscant, death star final construction, etc. things that only are mentioned but not yet covered in any matierial!

the already covered stuff would only get a mention, or in case of the plans retrieval, told from LEias point of view on board of the Tantive IV, only including katarn via holocom, f.e.

hope you understand now, that I meant.

7. DarthBale

Jan 20, 2005
    Why does EVERYTHING have to be connected? I think it's just fine the way it is.

8. BobaKareu

BobaKareu Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 24, 2005
    Everything connected is good for a stronger Expanded Universe. Of course, everyone is entitled to their opinions. But I love to read about things in the prequel novels, and have them reappear in later novels. Zenoma Sekot and Neeja Halcyon are prime examples.

Still, I think that the area between the OT and the NJO is pretty much done with. Not too much more can be added, unfortunately. Still there's plenty of prequel stuff and other eras to tamper with!

9. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    that is your opinion, but lets wait what others reply. I am not forcing this upon anyone. just asking for opinions.

here is a fanproject of me, it is in radio drama script style, some dialogues that coule be an example of what I mean with the lead in, etc.:

STARWARS ANH-TESB-ROTJ

CHAPTER ONE:
    ?LAST GOODBYE?

[Before ANH]
    Alderaan, Nightfall over Aldera-City. Princess Leia Organa is standing with Viceroy Bail Organa at a window in the Royal Palace of Alderaan:

Leia: ?Why not? Father, I´ve done missions for the Alliance before! I could do that, you know it!?

Bail: ?Leia, understand me, as your father and as member off the Alliance High Command! You may be ready, but the mission is too dangerous for you! If they get you, they´ll trace the Alliance ties to Alderaan and the citizens will suffer for our doings!?

Leia: ?But??

Bail: ?Please, you are too important to go on a win-or-die run! You´d have to go deep into a Imperial Security Zone, and evade many Cruisers! Winter could take her ship and intercept the plans!?

Leia: ?I still feel uncomfortable with this! As if something is telling me to go, at all costs!?

Bail: ?Your feelings, they served you well in the past and in the senate, but this is War, not diplomacy! I know you can fight, but I don´t know if that will be enough!?

Bail´s Com beeps, he takes it and answers.

Bail: ?Organa.?

Mon Mothma (over Com): ?It´s me Bail, on a safe channel! We can only keep it up for few seconds, so listen please! Our scouts just came back and reportet that the Empire closed all routes into and out of the the target area. Only Imperial Military Cruisers are allowed, and diplomatic vessels with special assignment to planets near the security zone. So I ask you to send Leia tarned as a diplomatic courier. That´s our only chance to get the plans. Otherwise it would take too long for Katarn and his comrad to get out of the blockade and it could already be too late. May the Force be with you, Mothma out.?

Leia looks at her father as if wanted to say, I´ve known it before.

Bail: ?Don´t say it! I know. So you will go, but be watchful! If anything goes wrong on that mission, Alderaan and the Alliance may be doomed!?

Leia: ?I will, father. I promise.?

Bail: ?I will assign the Tantive IV & Cpt Antilles to you. He´s the best man for that job. In case Imperials show up, he can fly the Blockade Runner like a starfighter!?

Leia: ?Thank you, I have to take preparations now. We´ll see us after the mission. Good Bye, and may the Force be with you, too!?

Leia kissed Bail, as if saying Goodbye for the last time, having an unsure feeling in her stomach. Then they parted. When Leia leaves, Bail is thinking:

Bail: ?She is so much like her mother, too much! First the senatorial seat, then the alliance and now this. I hope the Force had reserved a whole amount of luck for her, she will need it! May the Force be with you, Leia Skywalker!?

Bail thinks of the past. The Clone Wars, Kenobi, Skywalker, Padmé. And the chaos and debacle afterwards. How Leia was a child and when she got older, playing with Winter?

Next day on landing platform before the grounded Tantive IV. People board and Cargo is loaded, and hidden in the Cargo the Rebel Troopers and weapons. Leia waits outside the ship to meet Winter, her childhood-friend and loyal aide, serving as a Special Agent for the Alliance.

Winter: ?Sorry, I´m late! I just got a call from Command. They need me for another mission. I won´t come with you this time!?

Leia: ?Ok, I will be back soon! Father looked worried today. I hope he is ok, while I am away.?

Winter: ?He will be! At least he survived the Clone Wars! It would take a superweapon to get him!?

Leia: ?And it will be my duty to not let the superweapon get near him! They are already starting the engines, I have to go now. MTFBWY.?

Winter: ?And with you!?

Then Leia boarded the ship last and Winter left for here own small yacht. The Tantive IV raised and was meeting its destiny. Wh

10. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    No! They're still creating books, comics, and games in the trilogy years after two decades. Enough. Move on. They can't hope to maintain this superficial Ragnos-breath-tested status quo bubble. Fiddler on the Roof, same song each time.

[face_dancing]

11. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I was actually pondering this the other day. It'd be an interesting idea. I'd put Dennings to do it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.