main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO League of Legends

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Mirax Terrik, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    League of Legends is a free game made by Riot Games in 2009. It is currently the most popular MOBA (multiplayer online battle arena) in the world. As of October of last year, there were over 12 million players worldwide. About 5 million players are online at any given moment which is comparable to the TOTAL number of Star Craft II copies sold. Did I mention, the game is FREE to play? Click here to download the game.

[​IMG]

There are many game modes within LoL, the most popular being a 5v5 map called Summoner's Rift where two teams of 5 battle it out and see who can take down the other's nexus first. Standing in your way are turrets, minion waves, and the enemy players themselves. You can kill the above mentioned obstacles for gold that you can spend to improve your champion. Other creatures on the map can be killed to provide various buffs (Elder Lizard, Ancient Golem, Baron Nashor) and shiny, shiny gold for your entire team (dragon).

[​IMG]
    If you have ever played DOTA before, you're probably experiencing some déjà vu. ;)

In the current meta (standard team formations), the 5 roles are top (top lane), mid (usually a ranged caster of some sort), AD carry (the person that deals massive amounts of damage), support (person charged with keeping the ADC alive), and jungler (kills jungle creatures and keeps track of creature spawns, dragon and baron timers, and generally the man in charge of helping out whatever lane has the most need).

League has a vast array of champions you can play (currently 115 and counting). You can play an assassin, mage (AP caster), tank, healer (support), and so many more builds than I can even begin to describe. Further more, your champions can be customized to degree by utilizing masteries and rune pages (stats and abilities you can set before each game session).

This may seem overwhelming at first, and honestly it really is, however this makes for a very rewarding game. The game will match you up with people of similar skill so you should never feel out of your depth. There are also sites where people share what builds and stratagems they use, including pros! Some of my favorites are http://www.mobafire.com/ and http://www.lolpro.com/.

As an aside, I like playing this guy: [​IMG]
    He’s a little fuzzy scout (think Ewok) with a blowgun that mows people down with poison darts. And poison mushrooms. Yes, I hate playing against Teemo too. Everyone loves hates Teemo.

Riot has constant competitions worldwide where professional players from each region play against each other. Right now happens to be the middle of World Championships, so hop on to www.twitch.tv/riotgames to check out the action! The schedule for upcoming matches can be seen here: http://na.lolesports.com/

This is just brief introduction to the game. Discuss your favorite champions/skins, what you think of the newest champions, and any competitions that are going on. Feel free to post your Summoner’s name and maybe we can get a TFN team started. :D

Also share any rewards or incentives that you hear about! As an example, Riot is rewarding a Victorious Elise skin for anyone in Gold Rank or higher by the end of October. And, as always, never underestimate the power of the Scout's Code! ;)

2. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I do play it occasionally; my friends are addicted.

3. ManaByte

ManaByte Chosen One star 5

Aug 20, 1998
    Yup play almost every night. Just dominated a game.

4. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    LCS is running right now, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames

Also apparently the Korean pros are playing tonight at 4 AM EST with english commentary.

5. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    anyone else watching the WCs of this? been pretty interesting to watch.

6. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, the Korean games have been pretty nuts. I can't wait for c9 to play them.

Who are you rooting for in all this?

7. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    don't really have a rooting interest, as this is the first competitive stuff i've seen. mainly watching because it's entertaining and i'm learning a fair amount from it as well.

8. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, same here. I'm really enjoying the pro commentary and being able to understand to some extent what they're discussing. I find it really impressive that all of the commentators are able to call out champ abilities as they are being used in real time.

9. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Trimaj Do you play ranked at all? I'm lvl 30 but never quite got into the whole ranked scene.

10. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    no, i'm not that high yet. only at 20 so far. quit playing for a number of years, but i don't remember why.

i've been enjoying that a lot as well.

11. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    O_O @ OMGvSKT rematch

that is all. nothing more can be said about that one.

12. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    I didn't get to watch any games yesterday. At least there aren't any games today so I can catch up.

C9 finally plays tomorrow! I'm so pumped. :D

13. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Overview of Group Stage D6: http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames/b/463932641

Teams____________Pick/Ban Time
    1. GMB vs FNC_____01:26:49
    2. VUL vs SSO_____02:29:31
    3. FNC vs MSK_____03:39:55
    4. GMB vs VUL_____04:33:18
    5. SSO vs MSK_____05:40:18
    6. SSO vs GMB_____06:25:53
    7. LD vs TSM_______08:03:47
    8. GG vs SKT_______09:15:26
    9. OMG vs LD______10:11:40
    10. TSM vs GG______11:15:07
    11. SKT vs OMG_____12:14:49

1st game: GMB vs FNC
    poor Alex :(

2nd game: VUL vs SSO
    :_|
    Why Vulcan, why?

3rd game: FNC vs MSK
    First Zilean pick I've seen in a while.
    scanned through this one quickly; looked painful.

4th game: GMB vs VUL
    Pretty exciting game all around.
    That first Baron fight though... *facepalm* Vulcan, why can't you ever keep a lead?

5th game: SSO vs MSK
    Whoa, a Karma. MSK really going for the oddball champ picks.
    Jungle Karma? Is this a real thing? Mineski pretty sloppy. Started skipping around after 9 minutes in. Saw the score at 19 minutes in and decided to skip to the next game.

6th game: SSO vs GMB game starts @06:34:13 due to technical difficulties
    Spectacular game. Very tense throughout!

7th game: LD vs TSM
    Poor Dyrus. :( I <3 his Rumble too...

8th game: GG vs SKT

9th game: OMG vs LD
    What happened with the first LD ban? Did they just forget to ban someone? Also, crazy picks from OMG here. This game is worth watching just because of how unconventional it is. New meta?
    It's time to get a little cocky, indeed.

10th game: TSM vs GG
    Teemo!!!! D:

11th game: SKT vs OMG
    O_O
    O_O

14. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    the skipped bans were because they goofed in a previous game, mainly by trading characters with less than 20 seconds left after all the picks were locked in. it costs a ban in the next game you play.

lol. glad i'm not alone on that last match though. just... wow.

15. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    That seems really harsh. They should just cut off 20 seconds from the time they have available to trade.

Here's another insane game from the winter season:

For context, this is the last game to determine the champions, not some random throw-away game. GSG ManDu = SKT PoohManDu from that SKT vs OMG rematch.

16. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Day 1 of the Worlds Quarterfinals begins today!
    [​IMG]
    Game 1 starts at 3 PM (EST). Go to http://www.twitch.tv/riotgames to watch the game live. They usually have interviews and commentator analysis before the game starts, so the actual game will probably start somewhere around 3:30.
    ***​
    Cloud 9 HyperX (C9) vs Fnatic (FNC):​
    This will be a game to watch. Cloud 9 is hands down the best North American team out there today. This brand new team blew up the NA LoL scene during Season 3 and ended with an incredible record of 30-3. They currently hold the longest winning streak of 13 games. We'll see if they can hold up their impressive winning streak against Fnatic, one of the oldest professional LoL teams. The Champions from Season 1, Fnatic is one of the best European teams out there today. There is a fierce rivalry between North America and Europe, so it'll be interesting to see how these old pros handle the brand new C9 team.

17. Mirax Terrik

Mar 11, 2000
    Wow, that was some tense gameplay out of C9 and FNC.

Game 2 of Quarterfinals starts at 7 PM (EST) between Gambit Gaming (GMB) and NaJin Black Sword (NJS). Winner will be determined through a best of three games. Watch now at www.twitch.tv/riotgames

***​
    Gambit, the all Russian team is set to go against Korea's NaJin Black Sword. Gambit has been really fun to watch through Worlds so far and there's no reason to think this game will disappoint. This will also be Black Sword's first game in the Worlds series. Korean teams have been dominating the LoL scene, so we'll see what they have to bring to the table.​
    Just so I don't keep spamming the thread, the schedule for the rest of the week are as follows:​
    Quarterfinals:​
    [​IMG] VS [​IMG]
    Gama Bears vs SK Telecom1 @ Tuesday 10 PM​
    [​IMG] VS [​IMG]
    Royal Club vs OMG @ Wednesday 1 AM​
    Semifinals:
    Teams TBD @ Friday 11 PM​
    C9/FNC vs TBD @ Saturday 3 PM​
    All times are in EST. Check www.lolesports.com for the schedule in your timezone as well as updated match schedules.​

18. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    so anyone keeping up with this season at all? it's been pretty interesting from what i've seen.

wouldn't mind knowing some other peoples SN's either, get together and play some sometime maybe. mine is the madzookeeper

19. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I play off and on. My summoner name is shockingly PrincessKenobi . I just hit level 30 and pretty much use Annie exclusively.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk

20. The Great No One

Jun 4, 2005
    one of the champs i can't use worth anything. i seem to have found my niche with adcs it seems.

my name on there is The Madoozkeeper should anyone be interested in adding me as well.

21. blubeast1237

blubeast1237 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 10, 2007
  22. DarkEagle

DarkEagle Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 10, 2009
    The League World Championship is starting and continuing for the rest of the month
    Info

23. Devizz

Devizz Jedi Master star 3

Apr 30, 2014
    Just out of curiosity, a slight offtopic question: any of you guys ever played Heroes of the Storm? Give it a go if you never played it, game is much more fun than League IMO. I am playing it professionally and it hurts my salary that so few people watch it. :<