main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Leaked footage from the Abu Dhabi shoot

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by JediAce1, Aug 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rookhelm

Rookhelm Jedi Master star 4

Sep 22, 2014
    Having a Kenobi relative seems like too much of a retcon to me. Sure, they could probably fit it in and justify it somehow, but we've never seen an indication that Obi-wan was ever interested in any kind of family. Didn't have any obvious attachments to his parents, and if he had met someone on Tatooine, it means he left that all behind rather willingly in ep 4.

I guess if you're talking about having Rey has a niece or cousin, sure that could work, but I don't know what that buys us as the audience.

StoneRiver likes this.
  2. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Easy enough to set up a fling or something that Ben had I think. But yes, it could be that you're right and it was just Breznican muddying the waters.

StoneRiver likes this.
  3. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Um yeah, Rey's not gonna be the product of a fling. It would basically mean nothing then and she might as well just be unrelated.

4. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    Totally. Ewan is the definitive Obi Wan!

5. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    For the films. Overall as far as the canon saga goes, don't discount James Arnold Taylor. He has more time as Obi Wan than any of them and he has done a masterful job.

6. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    I love how the original Obi Wan is the least Obi Wan out of all three Obi Wan's! Haha

7. deneuves

deneuves Jedi Knight star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    Well he's the most dead so not feasibly able to play him anymore.

darth_mccartney likes this.
  8. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    Fair point lol

9. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    What does this even mean?

10. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    It was shown in TCW that Obi-Wan was romantically interested in Dutchess Satine Kryze. We know that he didn't have children with the Dutchess. However, this does show us the he's not above developing romantic feelings for someone. This opens up the way for a Kenobi to appear in TFA if they wanted to go that direction.

nightangel and Satipo like this.
  11. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
  12. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    They could digitally place Alec's face over a stand in and dub Ewan's lines over it possibly. I'd rather Force Ghosts don't appear at all. And especially not PT Obi and Yoda.

13. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Heresy, I tell you. Sir Alec will always be the definitive Obi Wan. He came first. He set the blueprint. IMO he appeared in the superior and far more beloved films.

Ewan is a fantastic actor and he was wonderful in the PT but nonetheless his Obi Wan will always be a remake; a nice, updated cover of a classic older song.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  14. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    I disagree. Ewan is definitely the definitive Obi-Wan. Something coming first doesn't always make it better. Ewan's Obi-Wan is a better version of that older classic song. An updated cover.....[face_laugh]

darth_mccartney likes this.
  15. Ditolus

Ditolus Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 22, 2005
    CairnsTony while it is indeed possible that children can have different accents than their parents, this is a star wars movie. For the moment lets say rey is in fact han and leia's daughter. Han and Leia both have regular american accents. So if rey starts speaking with a british accent then people start asking why is she speaking that way? Her parents don't speak that way. Instead of just listening to her lines, people start wondering if she's really their daughter at all and creates unnecessary confusion. If she is in fact han and leia's daughter and is using a british accent, it must explained somehow in the movie. It could even be one line that explains it. Otherwise it would be poor filmmaking on JJ's part. You cant just say oh sometimes kids have different accents than their parents and leave it at that. That would be irresponsible filmmaking. Lastly we are in fact talking about a british accent here, not some exotic accent thats not easy to figure out. British accent is pretty much immediately discernible for americans.

16. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008
    I get where you're coming from, but Ewen is head and shoulders above Sir Alec. No disrespect to him (or you), but Ewen made Obi Wan a firm favorite character for me.

Each to their own :) peace, man!

17. darth_mccartney

Jul 3, 2008

18. Tatooine Twilight Twins

Tatooine Twilight Twins Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    No offense taken. To me Sir Alec just had that gravitas. His spoken word took me to another world, another time and place. His three or so sentences about the clone wars and the rise of the Empire was far more effective than the two prequel films that actually showed us those events. His banter with Harrison Ford's Solo showed more wit and his gentle guidance of Luke showed more warmth than Ewan ever got to display in the prequels (I don't blame Ewan for that). Plus I recall the stories of how Sir Alec's presence alone helped stabilize the worries of an unsure cast and crew during the making of ANH. That's a special man who could do that.

Admittedly again what hurts Ewan the most in my eyes is that the PT films aren't as strong, something he had no control over.

Anyway I'm straying off topic. Sorry about that.

19. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Right. The trouble will be very minimal, if at all. The opposite of when the script was leaked for AOTC. Or when a bootleg of ROTS got out.

Lucas increased security for each film after TESB and guess what, it didn't work. ROTJ was called "Blue Harvest" and people found out it was ROTJ. Security was tightened on TPM, but people found out details before the film came out. Like Jar Jar's voice. The script leak and the bootleg for the last two films. People will always find ways to get information out. The mystery box is not so mysterious.

Skaddix likes this.
  20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Star Wars in-universe (if this hasn't been pointed out already) Anakin does not have the same accent as his mother.

Besides that when you think about it how did Obi-Wan have an English accent anyway in the first place? Even in the very first movie the prevalent accent is either "American" or English and if Obi-Wan grew up there why would be be any different?

In the context of the saga there seems to be no reason why Obi-Wan growing up in the Jedi Temple would have an English accent or any other one over the other.

Whatever accents anyone has is unlikely to be something actually explored in the movies anyway so what it really should come down to is what they think works best for that actor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.