main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Learn to use those Lightsabers!?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by GoodLife, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    Hi everyone, Ryans brother here, I met some of you at the premier. I was checking out the page and then got thinking, ever wanted to learn to use those things properly? So I did a quick search for some local classes...

HERE is a local group that trains in long swords, rapiers and other weapons.

2. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    Goodlife,

Welcome to the boards!

That's actually a good idea - so good, in fact, that DrHaggis has been working on that.

His brother is a Martial Arts instructor, and we approached him way back in March, and asked him if he'd hold some seminars for us on Jedi fighting, etc... He's spent the last several months pouring over our DVD's (much to my frustration - I wanna watch them too!!!), and he's got several hours worth of instruction ready to go. All we have to do is pick a time and place. ;)

He's gearing it towards a range of people - from the completely clueless (like me!) to people who have some experience in Martial Arts. If anyone is really interested, we'd like to hear your thoughts.

3. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    Veritate, Dr. Haggis??! Could you BE ANY COOLER??!! I'm so in to that!! I've been 'lurking' around the Sword Acamdemy site for a few months, wondering weather or not to take the plunge. I can't tell you how happy this makes me!

Now I must really work on that light saber........!!

4. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I'm in! I keep thinking about taking the Kendo class at the UofC but when I check into it, it's already started. What other arts are there that deal with what we want? Aikido?
    Trevor

5. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    I've been involved with medieval martial arts before, but sadly my group has gone on 'extended sabbatical' or whatever :). Every once in a while I wonder about getting in touch with another group - I haven't heard of the Sword Academy before.

Anyway, I'd be keen to meet up with DrHaggis's brother - sounds like it would be a lot of fun!

Jen

6. veritate

veritate Jedi Master star 2

Oct 25, 2004
    DrHaggis' Brother (who henceforth shall be known as Jedi Master Tim) studies a type of Shao Lin Kung Fu (it's complicated to describe, but it features various swords and other weapons very heavily). He teaches many types of classes, ranging from Kung Fu to Women's Self-defence. Let it be made clear, he's NOT with the Sword Academy, or anything like that. (My apologies if this was at all implied, earlier.)

He's been studying the Star Wars DVD's and all the various fighting scenes (everything from Vader vs. Obi Wan in "A New Hope" to Darth Maul, to Mace Windu in AOTC), and he's informed us that he literally has 52 hours worth of material that he could teach us.

He'd like to cover a variety of topics, like what sort of moves from the movies are ACTUAL, VIABLE martial arts/fighting/fencing moves, what works, what doesn't, why, etc...

Tim wouldn't ACTUALLY be training us in Kendo or Kung Fu, but he'd teach us enough that, should we want to put together a choreography of sorts for a demo at a future event, like Con or something, we would know enough to look like we actually knew what we were doing. If anyone is looking to TRAIN in a DISCIPLINE, this isn't what you're looking for, and you'd be better served by actually contacting a school (like the Sword Academy, or whatever).

These would be lessons in JEDI FIGHTING STYLE (since the fighting/stunt choreography in the movies draw from various disciplines), as opposed to FENCING or KENDO, etc...

He's ready to go... we just have to tell him when, and how many! He's even prepared to provide us with the hardwood "swords"!

I think it would be fun to do with this group, considering we are pretty comfortable with eachother. I also think it would be beneficial for those of us who are interested in APPEARANCE, rather than actual ability.

7. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Let me know the time and place!!!!!!!!!
    I would so love to be able to put together a video of all of us then start adding special FX.

[face_praying][face_dancing]

Ryan

8. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    That sounds so AWESOME!! I can't wait to start!!

9. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    We should look into rentals of a hall, community centre or gym somewhere. Is that what we want? IMHO, indoors would be best going by how unpredictable (read: rainy) our weather has been and we could use as much room as possible.
    Trevor

10. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    Tim has a Gym ready to be booked. From us he needs information regarding numbers, commitment and availability. Are weekends or weekday evenings best for people?

He is currently drafting up all the details and costs and when he is done I will post it.

I'm going up to the gym Thursday night to check things out with him and to go over a few things before the group gets going.

It should be a lot of fun.

11. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    Has a gym ready? Niiiice.
    My availability is weekday evenings and weekends. I do work until 2 in the afternoon every third Saturday.

We have taken our first steps into a larger world.

12. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    Well I wouldn't have posted about this if I wasn't interested! :D
    I'm in, as long as its weekday evenings.. even though I work night shift every 3rd week.

13. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    Weekday evenings (except Fridays) are definitely better than weekends for me.
    Jen

14. darth-paul-

darth-paul- Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 9, 2004
    Anytime except Sunday is good for me.

Darth Paul

15. Manu-Forti

Manu-Forti Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    Greetings one and all.

I guess it?s time to step out of the shadows and introduce myself.
    I am the above mentioned brother of the famed DrHaggis.

Almost all that has been said about me is true (how many people can say that?) thanks to the lovely Veritate.
    DrHaggis and I have been talking about this training for a few months now.
    He has given me a good run down on your groups needs, and I am sure I can help.

With my 18+ years of shaolin training and experience with
    other styles including Medieval / Renaissance sword , I will have no problem tailoring classes specific to a jedi?s needs.
    I was hoping to start mid Aug., Thur. nights 5:00 - 6:00pm for four (or six) nights.
    that way if you wanted extra teaching you could show up at 4:45 and get 5 hrs. of training in 4 nights.
    Other classes are in this space from 6:00-7:00pm.
    We can figure this out as mid Aug. gets closer. I am quite flexible.

These classes will introduce :
    Stage combat vs the ?real thing?
    10 basic directions of attack
    10 basic directions of movement
    5 basic fighting stances of kendo
    Blocks - parries - dodges
    Psychological as well as physical strategies
    Combat in relation to the Jedi code

There is way more info. than time so we will see how much we can get through.
    If people want to continue we can keep the classes going.
    If not you will at least get a good taste of the skills needed.

MF

16. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Master Manu-Forti, it was great to meet you last night. I'm SO PUMPED for our upcoming sessions - you have no idea!!

17. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    I can't wait either! I updateded the fanforce web page as soon as I got home from our meeting.

18. Manu-Forti

Manu-Forti Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    I enjoyed meeting with all that came out to the sign-up meeting.
    I guarantee that we will all have a blast. (including myself)
    The more exited the students get, the more fun I have.

As for echosevin -
    ?Relax and take deep breaths. Only ten more days.?

For the first class I will be asking all of you to do your favorite Jedi fighting stance.
    Be prepared to explain why it?s your fave.

Remember:
    ?Enthusiasm and attendance are more important than ability.? (Shifu McKay)

M.F.

19. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I can't wait to get started on our classes!!!Yeah!!

20. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    1 week and counting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

21. tk-627

tk-627 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    I would love to attend these classes... is it fair to teach only the good?
    Please let me know the location and times :)

22. PreludeRM

Oct 28, 2002
    Dave check your Pm's

23. alexandertrooper1

alexandertrooper1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    I'll be attending as well. Please send me all info. Also my wife is interested as well.

24. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    Great! The more people the better! Only one more week...yeah, can't wait.

25. tk-627

tk-627 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    Ryan, I left at least 1 PM for you...
    I am interested for sure!!
    I just need a time and address for next Monday :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.