main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Calgary Learn to use those Lightsabers!?

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by GoodLife, Jul 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I could get together sometimes. I'm worried about practicing "wrong" and having to un-lean what I have learned. ;)

2. Magpie Jen

Magpie Jen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 1999
    WooHoo!

Endow the sword!

I cannot wait to get out on the lawn at dawn and start practising :)

edit - OldRepublic and DrHaggis: Yeah, I might well be able to get together for some extra-curricular practice. I have a backyard and neighbours who already know I'm loony so I have nothing to lose! :) The schedule is pretty packed however, but if there's an evening with a couple hours free we could try to meet up.

3. Twisted-And-Evil

Twisted-And-Evil Jedi Youngling

Aug 2, 2005
    I believe this is my first official posting, and I plan to make it a regular occurence. Glad to have met everyone[face_peace] It was fun weilding our wood sabers, the need some colour and customizing.... make it feel more like SW, i take it everyone in the class is planning to do some mods?? Any ideas on hoe to make a simple "Sithish" hilt? I would appreciate some ideas if any! Thanks[face_devil]

4. alexandertrooper1

alexandertrooper1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    oh another sith in the ranks welcome lol. It was very fun and I'll shall be out side during the day doing my thing plus my wife will be out there with me. Sorry I had to run before the class was over but I had to work now at almost 7am its time for bed. I'm looking forward to the next class.

5. echosevin

echosevin Jedi Master star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I, too, would be more than willing to meet up for practice sessions, so please count me in!

6. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    For a sith blade, I would definitly start with a base coat of white or bright yellow before spraying a light application of red, just to make it nice and bright. Doing Blue this way I think would also do best.. you could also finish it off with some clear coat to give it that little "sparkle" type of look. If you have a saber and/or intend to build one I would suggest getting the same diameter piping to attach to your wooden blade so the transition will be easier when going from the training weapon to the prop. Well I have today off... I think its time to go hit home hardware & totem today!

7. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Yeah some practicing sounds good too me aswell just might be tough to fit it into the schedule. But it was really a fun time last night look forward to the next class and welcome twisted and evil.

8. DrHaggis

DrHaggis Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 7, 2004
    I've been doing some figuring to come up with some drills so we practice ALL of our moves.

Given that we have 6 stances to start from/go to, 3 gates (high, middle, low), and 2 cuts combos (1->2 and 2->1), there are 216 combinations to drill through.

The numbers get significantly larger when we get to all 10 cuts and all 10 directions of motion.

No wonder the established martial arts break them down into forms or kata.

9. alexandertrooper1

alexandertrooper1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2005
    Ryan maybe on the weekend we should hook up and do some training. Really I'm only free friday saturday sunday so if anyone wants to hookup then that would be cool.

10. LEXIAL

LEXIAL Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2004
    I too was practicing after the lessons. I had to stop when I hit my ceiling. Oops..can't do the over the head stuff in my place. I am getting better at this though. I would love to practice...I have Saturday all day free or Sunday evening. [face_good_luck] Wishing everyone good luck with practicing.

11. Old_Republic

Old_Republic Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 21, 2005
    I wouldn't worry about practising the wrong movements. That's why I suggested a group practise, that way we can help each other. We'll be much more successful that way.

As for putting a handle on the dowel, I picked up some 1" inside diameter PVC pipe. It's a nice tight fit and I have enough left for five or six sabres if anyone wants a chunk of it. I had to buy a complete length of the pipe and have already used what I need so the rest is waste for me so I'm just gonna give it away.
    Trevor

12. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    DrHaggis - We have 3 gates to apply to this? Could you explain that for me a little more? I was under the impression we had our 6 stances and 2 cuts so far. I do remember the 3 gates being our tops, middles and bottoms, but I don't get how we'd use them yet...

(By the way - I can't remember the straightforward way to figure out numbers of combinations and I'd hate to pit myself against an engineer here :), but just writing out the 6 stances - each with 3 gates (now 18 total positions) - then using 1, 2, 1->2, and 2->1 that's a total of only 72 combos. Adding 1->1 and 2->2 still only gets me 108. What am I missing?)

Jen

Edit:
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention - I could make a practise this Thursday evening.

13. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Well, we could get together before the games night on Saturday and practice..... my yard is pretty small (it barely holds me and the blade as it is), but there are plenty of parks nearby. We could practice for an hour or so, and then head back to my place for munchies and games o_O

We could make it a potluck or something, bbq up some burgers to simplify things....??

14. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    [face_dancing] Yeah! That sounds fun! I'm up for Satuday night, and prepractice with our sabers. I do think it would be great to practice and help each other. Sometimes we don't see our stance like others do, and good tips always a help. Maybe we can go over how the calculations for the moves were figured out then as well.

[face_alien_1] As for munchies, BBQ and drinks just let me know what you would like me to bring. So we don't have five bags of buns and short other items etc...I can bring my games too if you like.TTFN

Old Republic if you have some of that PVC left I would like to have some for my sabre. That would be great..so let me know.

15. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    Sure, no problem. I'd love to be in on this thing on Saturday too.

Trevor

16. GoodLife

GoodLife Jedi Youngling

Jul 3, 2005
    Well I'm well over 1/2 done having my saber(s) ready for next lesson.. but unfortunatly I work evenings next week, so make sure everyone remembers whats covered next monday, because I'll definitly be asking so I'm not too far behind for the following week!

BTW, am I the only one already choreographing entire battle scenes and linked moves in their mind already?

17. Manu-Forti

Manu-Forti Jedi Youngling

Jul 10, 2005
    I'm glad you all had a good time.
    Good effort all the way around.
    You can see why I told Dr. H. eight or ten students is max. for that space.
    I?m glad we could get everyone in .

M.F.

18. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    Potluck sounds good, I'll bring a box of burgers?

Trevor

19. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    <sigh> unfortunately it seems I won't be able to host our practice/games night this Saturday. I received some bad news last night - one of my close friends' mother passed away suddenly late Monday night. The funeral is Saturday afternoon in Drumheller.
    I hope you guys will forgive me for bailing, but I really need to go and offer what support I can.

Raincheck?
    Can we move it to Sunday afternoon perhaps??

20. Dooks

Dooks Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 5, 2005
    Sunday sounds good and sorry to here about your friends mom thoughts are with the family.

21. PreludeRM

PreludeRM FanForce CR, & Fanforce Council Calgary, Alberta star 4

Oct 28, 2002
    Sorry to hear about your friends mom. Sunday would be good for me as well as I have it free.

22. Magpie Jen

Dec 19, 1999
    Sorry to hear that echosevin :(

I couldn't make Saturday myself. But Sunday afternoon is possible.

23. echosevin

Mar 7, 2005
    Okay - let's make it Sunday afternoon. What time works best for everyone? We could meet up around 1 or 2, get some saber practice in, have some snacks, play some games and then bbq around 4 or 5 (depending on how competative we get with the games!).

Whadaya think??

24. Old_Republic

Mar 21, 2005
    Sorry to hear about your freind's mom.
    Sunday would be just fine with me as well.

Trevor

25. LEXIAL

Nov 29, 2004
    Sorry to hear about your friends mom. Have a safe drive out there. Sunday afternoon is good for me..I can make it around 2:30 ish. I can bring a salad and snacks. As well I can bring my monopoly SW.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.