main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Learning Differences

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi_Master_Isaiah, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

Jedi_Master_Isaiah Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    What do the words mental retardation mean to you? I, for one, am sick of society's ignorance about learning differnces. Learning differences are not learning disabilities.

These are dyslexia, attention-deficit disorder, attention-deficit-hyperactivity disorder, and Asperger's Syndrome.

Dyslexia is a disorder that makes it difficult for people to read and write. According to my research, dyslexics are autotory learners. I know plenty of dyslexics who have overcome many of their difficulties and are now speed readers. One of them, Emerson Speyerer, is a mathematically brilliant twelfth grader who has worked for NASA. There are many famous dyslexics in history. These include George Washington, Andrew Jackson, Hans Christian Andersen, Thomas Alva Edison, and Winston Churchill.

ADD and ADHD are remarkably similar. Some people have given these disorders bad reputations. They can be quite valuable, however, and I know plenty of people with ADD and/or ADHD who are brilliant.

Asperger's Syndrome is the learning difference that I know the most about. I have it, so that makes sense. Asperger's Syndrome is high-functioning autism. Low-functioning autism is mental retardation, which causes low intelligence. Asperger's Syndrome aka high-functionng autism causes average or high intelligence. According to my research, many famous people had it. These include Isaac Newton, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Thomas Jefferson, Abraham Lincoln, Harry S. Truman, and Albert Einstein. John Nash and Bill Gates are believed to have it, as well. From what I can tell, it is most common among artists, scientists, mathematicians, and other geniuses. Asperger's Syndrome, like dyslexia, ADD, and ADHD, comes with bad things. But genius is an abnormality. We high-functioning autistics are shy and odd, to be certain, but not stupid.

What do you think of these learning differences? Would you like to know more about them?

2. Joey7F

Joey7F Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 18, 2000
    Also don't forget, it is easier and less confrontational to assign a "problem" or a "disease" on someone rather than say it is their own fault.

--Joey

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I'm not sure if that goes along with what he's attempting to say, Joey. Having a bit of experience with some of those, I can say that two things for certain: They exist, and do have an impact on people's lives, and they can be handled well.

4. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    That "Education in America" thread was talking about this. I love how they thought ADHD was a made up illness. They didn't outright say it, but insinuated it. As far as these diseases go, we haven't went over them yet, except for ADHD. It's really sad that some people think that this is a made up diease. It's not, and studies can prove that it isn't.

5. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Great Scott! Is everyone on the Jedi Council so naive and incompetent that they cannot understand this? Gah! Most of the people who have dyslexia, ADD, ADHD, or Asperger's Syndrome are not faking it. It is not their fault.

Be aware of the fact that some of you probably mistreat some people at your schools and colleges who are different. All of this bullying of dyslexics, people who are hyperactive or not very well attentive, and high-functioning autistics is senseless.

I believe these are really labels. Every single human is unique and different from the others. What I am attempting to do with my fellow intellectuals is discuss learning differences.

6. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    What do the words mental retardation mean to you? I, for one, am sick of society's ignorance about learning differnces. Learning differences are not learning disabilities.

Actually, I don't classfy them in this way - but then I'm an education student and everything is probably treated slightly differently.

Learning differences are the way kids learn. Learning difficulties are the problems that some kids have with learning.

Learning differences are associated with each child and the way that they pick up and use information. There are: Auditory learners, oral learners, text-based learners, hands on learners, music learners, sight based learners and so on. All these kids learn using different methods and all of them have their weaknesses and strengths when it comes to these sorts of things.

There are also far more learning difficulties then just the three main ones you stated. Many kids have smaller problems, that are easily looked over by professionals and teachers because they are (among other things) focusing on problems that are more recognisable.

As for Aspergers, that's a type of autism that affects (like you said) people of usually high intelligence. The Autism part comes into their social interactions and makes these people seem unable to react or interact with their peers and people in a social situation.

I'm not saying that things like dyslexia or ADD don't exist or that they are not a problem in the classroom. What I am saying is that often people are so focused on those that they often overlook smaller problems that children may have.

Kithera

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    There is a mass overdiagnosis of ADHD in the U.S. Kids that are just being brats get pumped full of Ridelen and become even bigger brats. ADHD does exist, though.

8. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Count me in as another Aspie. It was very discouraging going to a school system which didn't seem to understand that someone with a high IQ could have a form of Autism. Even now, I've met some people who think it's just a ploy for sympathy or a story to cover for laziness on my part. Of course, they would never say the same thing if I was in a wheelchair or missing a limb.

9. JediOverlord

JediOverlord Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 28, 2000
    I have Pervasive Developmental Delay (PDD),and some autism. I went through school okay. I didn't have a problem with learning,and didn't have to take any special classes except in elementary school,but that was for speech more than anything. I just hated all the rote memorization you had to do,like remembering facts and figures for big tests and such.

10. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    I have Asperger's Syndrome as well, but I did not discover this until very recently. I always did well in school due to my high intelligence, so my condition went largely unnoticed to all but the philanthropically-challenged (bullies).

11. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    My 9 year old son has Asperger's syndrome and I'm lucky to be in a school system that will work with him and allow him some flexablity with how he learns. He has speech therapy and a quiet spot to go to to do schoolwork, if he feels he needs it. The school social worker every week does social stories with him to help him learn why things are like they are, because whe really can't understand why people sit in different places during lunch, why he has to wait in line, why he has to wait hs turn to speak etc. At home he becomes obsessive with information and learns all he came about one subject, he becomes obsessive with games and his has very strict routines...he can get very upset when his routines are altered.

We have spent thousands of dollars to get im diagnosed. He is on meds and those help him so much. He is only on medication at school, because I want him to learn slowly how to deal with himself off meds someday.

My 4 year old I think has ADHD. He is starting preschool at the grade school next week for speech therapy. Everyone will watch him closely, but I have told them I don't want to start medication with him until until 1st grade and we understand how he reacts in a school setting more.

Dealing with these are tiring as a parent...I know is some ways I blame myself though I know it isn' my fault (My husband, father of my 4 year old has ADD so its his ;) ) I also think most parents don't jump the gun on this and putting their child on medication is not easy to do. I know I have had to help educate my son's teachers. When I have found interesting information pass it on to them, but again I am lucky to have an excellant school where they work very hard. My son has the same teacher has he had last year and she requested him in her class, she just loves him. And he is dealing with school much better this year and everyone is so excited about it.

Anyone with Asperger's here I would be very happy to hear from you, how I can help my son. How I can understand what its like for him and what I can do to help him would be appreciated.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Well, it seems this is the thread to speak of my own experiences with. I have ADD (technically ADHD, but that's not as prominent as just the ADD), and I know it influenced me in the classroom, although I wasn't very aware of it. I've long had a lot of trouble focusing, and I also have a lot of trouble organizing things in my mind (and otherwise), and I don't know if that's related or not. I definitely have a short attention span, and I can only focus on something for a short period of time before I lose focus. If you've seen a lot of my posts, you've probably seen that the majority of them are fairly short. If I ever put a lengthy post together, it probably wasn't done at once.

I was diagnosed with it last year, when I was 19. I don't know if people just missed it when I was younger, or if I just didn't show any obvious signs of it.

This is shaping up to be a very interesting discussion :).

13. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    I am glad that my thread is doing better. You guys have some good thoughts.

I agree that ADD and ADHD are not really what some children and teenagers have. We can be hyperactive or have problems when it comes to paying attention.

I am glad that I am not the only high-functioning autistic around here. Just to let you know, I have what I would consider a medium form of Asperger's Syndrome. I was a strange and withdrawn loner before the seventh grade. In middle school and high school, I have been trying to overcome my social problems. At this point, I have a great many friends. I also have a girlfriend who has been dating me for about nine months.

Overcoming learning difficulties is possible. It is hard, but all we need is confidence and help.

14. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Jedi_Master_Mom, I would be glad to help, but I have only been studying psychology and Asperger's Syndrome for about a year. Your son apparently has a more severe form of Asperger's Syndrome than I have. I have never been on any medication. But don't let your son's weaknesses get you down. Einstein had a severe form of Asperger's Syndrome, and look where he is today in history. Your son may have to ability to be famous one day. Whatever the case, I have a feeling that he can make a difference in this world. God works in mysterious ways.

15. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    My son is very intellegent and surprises adults with his ideas and the way he thinks. I tend to think that what makes him different are strengths for him. Its just sad that society can't accept people because they are different then what is "normal".

It does get tiring hearing about the same thing for hours though ;)

16. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    As a teacher, I have seen some highly intelligent, genuinely ADHD kids who literally can't sit still. I have one child now who asked me one day if I would move him to the front of the room because he kept getting distracted--a request I was glad to accommodate. This is one of those children who will be out of his seat during class, you'll ask him why he is out of his seat and he sincerely has no idea--he doesn't remember making a conscious decision to get up; he just automatically did it.

This child's mother agreed to put him back on his medication, in spite of some negative side effects, and things have gotten much better for him. He's really a great kid, but his disorder, which he can't help, would make an unsuspecting person think otherwise.

However, the flip side of the coin is this: there is one elementary school in a nearby county in which 40 percent of the children there are on Ritalin. Something is wrong with this picture. My guess is that 10 percent of these children are geniunely ADHD, and the rest are either desperate for attention and acting out, or have parents who prefer to medicate them rather than, one, keep them from eating Sugar Smacks and drinking soda all the time, and, two, use old-fashioned discipline when they act like idiots.

17. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    We high-functioning autistics do surprise adults with what we know. I suppose that I might get on my parents' nerves when I go on and on about history and the other things that I'm interested in. Thanx for the insight, Jedi_Master_Mom.

You bring up an interesting point, Anakin_Girl. I think that ADD and ADHD children and teenagers are not as common as some people say. Many children and teenagers are on mediation that they do not need. Now, why would doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, and other medical practioners diagnose youth with ADD and ADHD? The answer is money.

This there anyone out there who would like to discuss dyslexia?

This is a good discussion.

18. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I have to throw in my $0.02(US) on this topic.

I am a 22-year-old college student who has been diagnosed with ADHD for 12 years. I also come from a family where all but one of my siblings also has either ADD or ADHD. Because of this, I have tried to study it as much as possible to help others deal with it as well.

First, overprescribing Ritalin or similar drugs can increase the problem, not cure it. ADD and ADHD are caused by chemical deficiencies in the brain that cause it to not produce substances that help increase self-control. Ritalin (methylphenidate) is a neurostimulant, much like caffeine, and can cause hyperactivity. When I take Ritalin, it stimulates my brain to produce more of that substance. However, when a "normal" person takes Ritalin, it can make them edgy and hyper (much like caffeine).

One of the strong indicators (but not the only one) of a person with ADD is that caffeine can calm them down. I, personally, cannot drink caffinated beverages or I will fall asleep. In fact, in an emergency, drinking a cola can be used in place of Ritalin. (However, caffeine is metabolized much faster and so the effect is intensified for a short time and then more is needed. Ritalin normally lasts for about 4-6 hours.)

Kimball Kinnison

19. Darth_Asabrush

Darth_Asabrush Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 21, 2000
    Guys, all the issues you mention are not diseases. They are disorders. I think this is an important difference as most diseases can be best treated with drugs. However, while some drugs can help in the control of learning disorders they are not the cure.

As a teacher I am faced with children with numerous learning disorders. My pupils are not retarded. This is a word I hate. While the kids in my charge are challenging most are also very bright and good kids. Yes, they have problems and some can be disruptive to a class room environment, but this is usually caused by frustration more than anyhting else.

Also remember that we all learn in different ways anyway. If you are visual learner you may have difficulty understanding someone who teaches in a purely vocal manner. This is the challenge to educators today - to reach all learners no matter how they learn.

20. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Very interesting.

Medication, as Kimball Kinnison said, can make ADD and ADHD worse. Thanx for the information about the two disorders, Kinnison. It is very helpful for my research.

Darth Asabrush has some excellent points. I hate the word retarded, as well. Everyone learnds differently in their own unique ways. It is weird but good how some of the children and teenagers one least suspects can be very intelligent.

21. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Personally, I like to think of my condition as not being a disease or a disorder of any kind. IMO, you may as well say that someone who sings well has Sinatra's Syndrome or something to that effect. As I see it, what I have isn't necessarily a disorder at all, rather it's advantageous for me as I have a job in tech support for my cable ISP and being able to think in pictures (as a lot of Aspies do) helps me tremendously. Most of the calls I get, I can easily solve and it's now gotten to the point where our Tier 2 (the next level of support) gets a bit on edge when I send them a call as they know I've exhausted everything I know of and that the problem may be beyond them. Alternatively, there have also been some times I've been approached by Tier 2 people asking me if I know of a solution for something they're having problems with.

As you can tell, my biggest beef with NT's (neuro typicals), is that they often look upon me as someone or something to be pitied when I don't want their pity, I just want respect and the chance to do what I do best.

22. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    What TheForce.Net has done has surprised me. Thye transformed the Jedi Council into the Sith Council. It looks very evil, but I suppose that it is because Episode II is coming. I kind of like it.

That's interesting Kyle. I don't think that you have a disease or a disorder. There are bad things about Asperger's Syndrome. But there are certainly good things, as well. Could you tell me about your traits? I might be able to give you some advice.

23. Dead_AsaDoorNail

Dead_AsaDoorNail Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    It's to celebrate Halloween!

24. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Hmmm, let me think. All of my senses are more acute than those of the NT (I have to turn up the radio when I drive so I don't get destracted by the sounds the individual parts of my car make). I also don't like to be touched by people (save for the occasional social handshake or hug from a family member) and I tend to be rather curious and I like to explore a lot of things yet I prefer sameness in my environment.

I'm also a die-hard fan of Star Trek and Star Wars (couldn't have guessed, could ya?) and I tend to relate to Dr. Phlox, the doc on the latest Trek series as I tend to be quite a bit like him.

25. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Kyle, your traits are certainly those of Asperger's Syndrome aka high-functioning autism. I'm guessing you have a more severe form than I do.

This is a list of the traits of Asperger's Syndrome. It is for Kyle, Jedi Master Mom, and others who are interested in Asperger's Syndrome.

Asperger's Syndrome

(Note: a * means that I have that high-functioning autistic trait. A # means that I have overcome it.)

Physical Traits

avoids eye contact in conversation *

wears an inexpressive face or faraway look *

appears stiff in stance or posture *

gestures awkwardly *

exhibits poor gross motor coordination #

fails to swing arms normally when walking *

is hypersensitive to sounds, light, and/or odors *

tolerates some loud noices (hyposensitivity) *

neglects grooming needs

requires calming pressure at times

seems excessively fearful of harmless objects

lacks fear of actual danger #

appears to be insensitive to low pain levels

suffers frequent headaches *

has trouble sleeping *

suffers bouts of diarrhea

paces when elated or distressed *

shows signs of hyperactivity *

develops tics or odd mannerisms (throat-clearing, arm movements)

speaks in a strange swallowed tone of voice *

reacts exaggeratedly to sudden pain or physical sensation *

grimaces inappropriately

reacts to some disappointments as though in a seizure

inflicts self-injury when distressed #

is complusive about hand washing

exhibits ambidexterity *

resists any touching that he or she did not invite

Social Traits

inclines on being a loner and is regarded as shy #

interacts poorly with peers #

fails to recongize social cues

seems unable to sense others' feelings *

is aggressive and ill-tempered in childhood

lacks empathy when others disclose problems *

often rejects hugging or touching that he or she did not invite

cultivates those who are somewhat emotionally detached *

indicates low self-esteem and depression frequently *

lacks interest in group play *

lacks understanding of group play rules *

changes the subject when confused in conversation

tries to dominate the conversation when possible

is indifferent to peer pressures *

intrudes or interupts social situations #

shares favorite topics by telling others more than they would like to know *

is one-sided and lacks interest in others *

shows impatience with others' mistakes #

engages at times in socially inappropriate behavior #

is very emotional *

appears deaf to cheery greetings in childhood

assumes his or her unshared thoughts are knowm by others via rumor or the way they act *

is vulnerably naive *

shows impatience over waiting for others *

takes steps to avoid being teased *

in youth prefers company of adults who act as mentors and/or tolerate odd behavior *

seeks company of persons who share similar traits *

has charisma *

approaches others too closely *

adheres rigidly to rules of right and wrong #

ignores middle ground for solving conflict #

needs excessive reassurence and praise *

is overly sensitive about teasing, criticism, or imagined displeasure *

responds childlishly in joy, anger, or grief *

lacks patience with social hierachies *

in childhood especially, asks stereotyped questions repeatedly

laughs or giggles inappropriately *

becomes overly apologetic and may accept blame for others