main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Learning Differences

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jedi_Master_Isaiah, Oct 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    I like that list, I'll have to keep a copy of it for my own use.

As for me, I have (or have had) the following, I'll use the same notation JMI did to avoid confusion. However, I'll just limit the list to things which have affected me personally.

Physical Traits

avoids eye contact in conversation * # (this is still a bit of an issue for me, I often have to force myself to look people in the eye)

wears an inexpressive face or faraway look *

appears stiff in stance or posture *

is hypersensitive to sounds, light, and/or odors *

tolerates some loud noices (hyposensitivity) *

appears to be insensitive to low pain levels *

has trouble sleeping *

develops tics or odd mannerisms (throat-clearing, arm movements) # (Had a lot of this when I was in grade school)

reacts exaggeratedly to sudden pain or physical sensation *

resists any touching that he or she did not invite *

Social Traits

inclines on being a loner and is regarded as shy * (Not really regarded as being shy per se, but I do prefer the company of myself over the company of others)

interacts poorly with peers #

fails to recongize social cues # (This took a LOT of learning to do)

seems unable to sense others' feelings *

is aggressive and ill-tempered in childhood *

lacks empathy when others disclose problems #

often rejects hugging or touching that he or she did not invite *

cultivates those who are somewhat emotionally detached *

indicates low self-esteem and depression frequently * (More depression than anything else)

lacks interest in group play *

lacks understanding of group play rules *

is indifferent to peer pressures *

intrudes or interupts social situations #

shares favorite topics by telling others more than they would like to know *

is one-sided and lacks interest in others *

shows impatience with others' mistakes #

engages at times in socially inappropriate behavior #

assumes his or her unshared thoughts are knowm by others via rumor or the way they act *

shows impatience over waiting for others *

takes steps to avoid being teased *

in youth prefers company of adults who act as mentors and/or tolerate odd behavior *

seeks company of persons who share similar traits *

has charisma *

approaches others too closely *

adheres rigidly to rules of right and wrong *

ignores middle ground for solving conflict #

needs excessive reassurence and praise *

is overly sensitive about teasing, criticism, or imagined displeasure *

responds childlishly in joy, anger, or grief *

lacks patience with social hierachies *

in childhood especially, asks stereotyped questions repeatedly

Language and Learing Traits

attempts to be a perfectionist and is impatient with his or her mistakes *

learns by seeing rather than hearing *

is an extreme visual learner *

every sound, smell, and thought can be seen in his or her mind *

shows a talent for art and visual repensenations *

often views reality differently from others *

has a remarkable memory *

exhibits a rigid sense of logic *

adheres faithfully to routines, functional or not *

sometimes speaks to rapidly or in an unregulated tone *

ignores need to adjust speech for others' understanding #

engages in repretitive speech patterns *

some times talks too much *

loves to tinker and improvise *

prefers to read data-based materials, such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, books, novels, etc. *

has a talent for mathematics and/or art *

copies what he or she has enjoyed reading *

examines enviroment by sniffing * (Smell is a big part of my existence, I often get uncomfortable if there is no smell present.)

is detail-oriented in the extreme *

Traits of Restricted Interests

Fixates on selected topics or data *

resists change in enviroment, preferring familiar place and routines *

has difficulty shifting to new tasks #

resists change in everyd

2. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Here's how my son is affected with Asperger's:

avoids eye contact in conversation

wears an inexpressive face or faraway look *

appears stiff in stance or posture *

is hypersensitive to sounds, light, and/or odors

has trouble sleeping

develops tics or odd mannerisms

reacts exaggeratedly to sudden pain or physical sensation

resists any touching that he or she did not invite

Social Traits

inclines on being a loner and is regarded as shy

interacts poorly with peers

fails to recongize social cues

seems unable to sense others' feelings

lacks empathy when others disclose problems

acks interest in group play

lacks understanding of group play rules

is indifferent to peer pressures

intrudes or interupts social situations

shares favorite topics by telling others more than they would like to know

is one-sided and lacks interest in others

shows impatience with others' mistakes #

engages at times in socially inappropriate behavior

assumes his or her unshared thoughts are knowm by others via rumor or the way they act

shows impatience over waiting for others

takes steps to avoid being teased

in youth prefers company of adults who act as mentors and/or tolerate odd behavior

seeks company of persons who share similar traits

has charisma

approaches others too closely

adheres rigidly to rules of right and wrong

ignores middle ground for solving conflict

needs excessive reassurence and praise

is overly sensitive about teasing, criticism, or imagined displeasure

responds childlishly in joy, anger, or grief

lacks patience with social hierachies

in childhood especially, asks stereotyped questions repeatedly

Language and Learing Traits

attempts to be a perfectionist and is impatient with his or her mistakes

learns by seeing rather than hearing

is an extreme visual learner

every sound, smell, and thought can be seen in his or her mind (Not sure about this

shows a talent for art and visual repensenations

Traits of Restricted Interests

Fixates on selected topics or data

resists change in enviroment, preferring familiar place and routines

has difficulty shifting to new tasks

resists change in everyday activity

makes poor use of unstructured time

observes objects and enviroments more closely than others would

watches some videos repeatedly

often views reality differently from others

has a remarkable memory

exhibits a rigid sense of logic

adheres faithfully to routines, functional or not

sometimes speaks to rapidly or in an unregulated tone

ignores need to adjust speech for others' understanding

engages in repretitive speech patterns

some times talks too much

loves to tinker and improvise

prefers to read data-based materials, such as encyclopedias, dictionaries, books, novels, etc.

has a talent for mathematics and/or art

copies what he or she has enjoyed reading

examines enviroment by sniffing

During the summer my son has improved dramatically. He is not so rigid at school, he is understanding and getting along with his peers more, he doesn't cry or throw tantrums anymore when things didn't go his way or his scedule is disupted and he's learning to make better use of unstructured time.

It seems with him that he soaks everything up and one day it just clicks. He was in special reading help at school for just over a year, teachers didn't see much improvement and then one day it seems he's reading beyond his grade level...like something in his brain just put it all together overnight.

Its interesting to hear how this affects others...thanks for sharing. It is hard for me to understand my son, he thinks differently then me and its hard to get him to talk about himself.

3. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    Just let him continue with his interests. Over time he's bound to surprise you with something.

My fanatical interest in Star Trek and writing lead me to write a script for Star Trek Voyager (back when they accepted unagented scripts), anyway, my script was rejected, but it wasn't because they didn't like it. They loved it, but it was pretty close to an episode they already had in production, so they couldn't make it obviously, but they gave me lots of encouragement to keep trying. Same may be true with your son, let him keep at it and he may surprise you one of these days.

4. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Wow, that's great, Kyle. I know I'd feel pretty encouraged after hearing something like that.

5. Dead_AsaDoorNail

Dead_AsaDoorNail Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 2, 2002
    Here's a trick I learnt as an HR manager that may come in handy.

If you struggle to give eye contact look at the eyebrows or bridge of the nose. The person you are conversing with will not be able to tell the difference.

6. Death_Omega

Death_Omega Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2002
    I've dyslexia, but I do have some common social traits, learning difference and traits with Asperger's.

Are those traits common with other disorders?

Good tip Dead_AsaDoorNail :)

7. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    I've gone to counselors and they suspect I have ADD, but I've never been professionally tested. I'm pretty sure I have it since I have great difficulty paying attention in class, and cannot sit still for very long.

Speaking of famous people, doesn't Dustin Hoffman have Asperger's Syndrome as well?

GO 'CLONES!

8. POLUNIS

POLUNIS Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 3, 2002
    I have not heard of it, but it is possible.

9. Jedi_Master_Mom

Jedi_Master_Mom Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2002
    Asperger's is usually first diagnosed as ADHD. My son first was diagnosed with that in kindergarden and in 2nd grade they started to see that most of his behaviors where more consistent with Asperger's.

The school had an interesting talk last night on anxiety and anxiety disorders in kids...learned alot.

I try to let him follow his interests, but right now he is obsessive with video games and I am trying to help him find some more.

I know alot of ADhD and am learning more about asperger's, not that many books on the subject that I have found.

What are other's experiences with other learning difficulties?

10. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

Jedi_Master_Isaiah Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2002
    Very funny, Dead as a Doornail.

What I listed were Norm Ledgin's list of high-functioning autistic traits, Death Omega. He has a son who has Asperger's Syndrome. Mister Ledgin has studied the high-functioning autistic traits of Thomas Jefferson a great deal. As for your traits, Death Omega, I do not know if you have Asperger's Syndrome. Let me give you some advice. You have dyslexia, so concentrate on overcoming that. As for diagnosing, only psychologist and psychiatrists can do that. Sometimes when people read a diagnosis for a learning difference, disease, or mental illness, they may become convinced that they have it. Talk to professionals, if you wish. Good luck with overcoming the dyslexic problems, Death Omega. Churchill did, and look where he is in history! Anything is possible, as they say.

As for your question Jedi Greg Maddox, I have no idea of Dustin Hoffman is a high-functioning autistic. Do some more research. By the way, Greg, all you have to do is put your hyperactivity in the right place. I am certain that you can overcome your troubles with sitting sit and concentration. Put your hyperactive abilities into your work, and, boy, you'll work fast! I've seen it a lot with many people like you.

I am very glad be of service to you, Kyle Katarn, about your leraning difference. Your form of Asperger's Syndrome is more sever than mine, and you have some bad traits to overcome. Just never give up. You apparently are a genuis in the making with Star Trek. I encourage you, as well. Keep trying!

I am also very delighted to help Jedi Master Mom. You are correct that Asperger's Syndrome is misdiagnosed as ADHD at first. That was the case with one of my good friends. I am certain that you love your son very much. Your concern and responsibility is admirable. I agree with Kyle that your son will suprise you someday. Just wait. Good luck to you and him.

My dark years of loniness and fictional obsessions, other than Star Wars, are behind me. In the seventh, eighth, and ninth grades, I began to overcome my bad high-functioning autistic traits dramatically.Apparently, I am a rare case of this. I now have a great many friends at my school, my Church, and other places. Fortuately, I have a few magnficent mentors, many great teachers, and wonderful parents.Being an intellectual and a future senior minister makes me stand out, I suppose. You guys must think I'm crazy, but genius comes with it! The best part is the fact that I have been going steady with my first girlfriend for about nine months! We love each other a great deal for a lot of reasons. Thus, life is fabulous for me. I hope and pray it is with you people, as well.

11. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    From waht I've read, I'm doing a heck of a lot better than some other Aspies I've met. I drive, have held a stable job for more than a year, applied to advanced position, as well as a few other things. Granted I've got a full blown case of AS, but I've managed to get by and accomplish many things which a lot of non-Aspies have difficulty with.

JMM, let your son go with his video games. I got into my field because I started playing video games as a kid and electronics had always fascinated me. Just make sure he gets exposed to some other things as well as he may have some other untapped talents.

12. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Is a lack of any organizational ability (mentally speaking) part of ADD?

I just plain have none of it, and it's depressing sometimes.

13. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    JMI,and KK I have AS too. I never knew John Nash had it. He`s one of my personal heroes! Anyway I can give you a link to a camp with the main idea to help Learning Disabled Children. I attened it this summer.

14. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    Very interesting, Drac39. I am Glad to meet A fellow someone else who has Asperger's Syndrome.

Yes, John Nash is believed to have had Asperger's Syndrome, according to various historians and psychologists. Nash is a good hero to have, Drac39. His high-functioning autistic traits are portrayed in A Beautiful Mind. Like Einstein, he was an odd but ingenious loner. He had the horrible mental illness schizophrenia. Interestingly, Nash used his genius to cure himself. Although he may have been one of those few schizophrenics who gradually lose the mental illness, I think that he truly cured himself. Certainly, Nash was and is a brilliant mathematician. His work helped economics and modern science. As a future senior minister, I do not agree with everything that he believes in. All the same, Nash was and is a genius. He changed dramatically, to be sure, which was good.

Put the link to this camp up, if you please, Drac39.

15. Jedi_Master_Isaiah

May 26, 2002
    I wonder if Bipolar Disorder should be counted as a learning difference. After all, people like Edgar Allen Poe are considered to have it. I used to think that Vincent Willem Van Vogh had Asperger's Syndrome, but now I think he was Bipolar. In my opinion, Bipolar Disorder seems like a more terrible form of Asperger's Syndrome. Are any of you guys Bipolar? It must be a terrible thing to have. Feel free to post your opinions on this disorder.

16. Kyle Katarn

Jul 10, 1998
    I'm not bi-polar/manic depressive (in fact, I'm pretty laid back most of the time), but I do have mild depression and a few people in my family believe that my late grandfather (who committed suicide in '74), may very well have been bi-polar.

What makes it all the more interesting is that a lot of people in my family have stated that I look, walk, and talk quite a bit like my grandfather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.