main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Learning to See- AU- OC'S Complete 5/12!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Aug 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Title: Learning To See

Author: obi_ew

Genre: AU

Characters: Original characters- Jedi Master Eitan Delano, Padawan Tamir Vasu, Knight Kiran Minh

Summary: Eitan and his new apprentice face a cunning enemy and struggle to keep a planet from erupting in war.

Notes: These OC?s first appeared in my story Live What You Learn. You don?t have to read that in order to understand this one. This is also my first attempt at writing a story completely with original characters in the main roles. Cross your fingers and toes! :D

Thanks: To my faithful readers who embraced Eitan, and to Shaindl and Shanobi for encouraging me to explore my OC?s further. Love ya all! [face_love]

To a recently reunited Van Halen for the title.

Special thanks: To Altaira for the beautiful coverart. You really brought Eitan alive for me and I?m sure my readers as well. [face_love]

I didn?t see you falling.
    I never heard you calling
    I?ve got my eyes wide open
    But I?ve never learned to see.

Learning to See by Van Halen

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/eitansowner/LTS.jpg]

Chapter One

The unrelenting inky darkness of space was broken only by the bright stars that twinkled madly. Inherent silence was suddenly filled with the scream of something metallic as it appeared out of no where. The pilot made a quick survey of his instruments to make certain he had come out of hyperspace at the correct spot. Once assured that everything was in order, he pushed the throttle forward and separated his fighter from it?s hyperdrive ring.

The sleek silver fighter accelerated, the force sending him back in his seat with a grunt. It was obvious that he was not yet comfortable with the borrowed vessel and the array of modifications that had been added to it. What had once been a standard Delta 7 fighter was now equipped to be much more agile and loaded with both laser canons and a proton torpedo launcher. Strong capable hands flew over the instrument panel, dark eyes keeping a careful watch on his radar screen. A questioning whistle had him tensing seconds before a blip appeared on the chart.

"Do you have a reading on it R5?"

The droid beeped a confirmation before sending the data to his pilot?s screen. A quick glance was all the man managed to get before a series of laser bolts streaked dangerously close to the hull of the vessel. Ignoring the indignant sounding whistle that came from the droid, Jedi Master Eitan Delano flipped a series of switches.

"Hang on R5. It would appear that our battle isn?t quite over," he warned before slamming the throttle forward.

The Jedi starfighter nose dived, spiraling straight down at a dizzying velocity. The larger ship that loomed behind it struggled to shift course in order to keep the more flexible vessel in its sights. A lucky shot clipped the starfighters right wing, the sound of tearing metal accompanying the jarring its occupants took as the ship dipped on its side. The Jedi Master winced as he imagined the reaction Anakin would have when he got a look at the damage.

Eitan breathed a curse under his breath as a red light began to flash incessantly on the control panel. R5 hooted loudly as he was inundated with a host of alarms from the badly listing ship.

"Just do the best you can while I try to lose them," Eitan ordered curtly.

Drowning out the sound of the droids unhappy beeping, the Jedi struggled to upright his ship. Calming his mind, Eitan drew on the Force and allowed it to show him every possibility open to him. He could remain on his current course and most likely be blown out of the sky, or he could take a chance that could also end in his death. His choice was made easier when another bolt streaked over the cockpit window missing him by a mere degree of inches. It was obvious that the smuggler whose business Eitan had just shu

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wahoo! You've started! Already looks like a wonderful story - which I know it's going to be. :) Loved the space battle and Eitan's thoughts. Hopefully the big moron realises what he's really supposed to be doing. ;)

Altaira, OE showed me that picture you made for her a while ago. It's just amazing. Exactly how I pictured Eitan. Beautiful job! :)

Shaindl

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Knight Kiran's going to show up! Woo! :cool:

Altaira, I am very jealous of your art skills. :D

OE, you did a great job with the space battle. Eitan's little manoeuvre reminded me of one of Maverick's stunts in "Top Gun" - when he hits the break, and the MiG flies right past him so he can get a lock. Can't wait to see what the big dolt encounters in the Temple. ;)

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Starting the fic off with a space battle in true Star Wars tradition! Great job with it - I could almost feel myself in the cockpit with Eiten.

And now the foolish Eiten needs to stop ignoring the Force and go get his apprentice-to-be!

BTW, great cover art. You are so lucky, OE to have someone make you such a lovely picture!

5. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    Tense and exciting opening! :D Eitan is showing his dangerous skill. That battle was fast and described wonderfully. A great start.

His avoidance of the past is catching up with him. :) I am looking forward to him facing a certain smaller one soon.

[face_blush] Thanks for the art compliments, Eitan is a honey to work on [face_love] and would not exist without obi_ew. She has helped me to occupy some extra time I have.

6. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    I love the art, it is amazing.

I love your OC's! Eitan is, well, Eitan and I love him. I wish he were not an OC so that he could be in a book or a movie. Oh well, seeing him in your stories is just as good if not better.

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Great start!! Yeah! Got to see Eitan in a space battle of sort! :D Poor guy... still reminiscing. We readers keep you company ;) and provide comfort :D

Can't wait for more, great start indeed!

8. Phoenix_Reborn

Phoenix_Reborn Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2003
    Yay! It's up! I got up from my sleep just for this post.

First post in and Ei'n's already re-thinking his life. Somehow I imagine he's had to do that a lot lately.

*grabs popcorn and kicks back awaiting more...but ends up back asleep anyway*

9. tangled_sphere

tangled_sphere Jedi Master star 4

Dec 28, 2003
    Yay! I'm here at the beginning to see Eitan through! :D

Excellent start o_e, so good to see him back in action and it's heartwarming to see him so concerned about what his 'influences' will be on the young padawan and afraid of failure. Looking forward to his arrival!

10. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    Some of my favorite OCs staring in a new fic- what more could a girl want ;)

11. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Cool! Looks like Eitan's going home to take a padawan. :)

Can't wait to see Anakin's reaction to his ship being damaged. I have a feeling Anakin may forget who's the master and who's a padawan when he sees the damage. Interesting. :)

Another wonderful start OE! Had my attention from the get go!

12. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Hooray! Eitan's story is here! I can't wait to see what happens to him next. I loved him so much in Learn to Live that I am absolutely thrilled to see him show up in his own tale. Wonderful work! Hooray, again!

13. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Shaindl The big moron may continue to be stubborn. :p

Jade Kiran will be around. ;) Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the databank. It helped a lot with that post. :)

Diane Thanks. :) It was actually Altaira who reminded me that Eitan was a great pilot when she did the artwork. I'd spaced it out. :p I am truly blessed to have somehow gotten her to do the artwork for the two fics for me. She's a sweetheart. [face_love]

Altaira Speak of the devil! :D I'm afriad that Eitan's avoidance skills are way too sharply honed. [face_worried]

VadersMistress [face_blush] Awww! That is so sweet of you to say. I'm blushing! I couldn't be happier that you like my Eitan.

Kynstar You want to keep me company and comfort me? Or were you talking about Eitan? ;)

birdy You crawled out of bed just for Ei'n? :eek: He'd be so tickled! :D

tangled_sphere So happy to see you here! :) Eitan makes it home today.

PK [face_blush] Thank you my dear.

Bekah [face_worried] Um... Anakin won't be around much. If at all.

VaderLVR Thanks for giving his story a chance. I really appreciate each and every reply to this. :)

CHAPTER TWO

Eitan ran his fingers through long wet strands of hair as he made his way toward the Council room. A pained grimace passed over his features as his leg protested the misuse. The injury was a constant reminder of his battle over a year ago with the dark Jedi Quinlan Vos. Although the healers had done an amazing job, scar tissue left behind flared up when he was tired or over exerted himself and caused a slight limp.

He?d only been back a few standard hours, the first of which had been spent apologizing to a distraught Saesee Tinn for the damage done to a blessedly absent Anakin?s ship. Stripped of his rank as punishment for his part in Quinlan Vos? plot to overthrow the Order, Tinn had eagerly agreed to supervise the Jedi?s plans to revamp their fleet. Every time Eitan ran into the older Jedi, he couldn?t prevent the twinge of guilt he felt for having come out of the situation relatively unscathed in comparison. Retreating to his room as quickly as possible, he?d looked forward to a shower and good meal before retiring for the remainder of the day. The meal had been put on hold when the summons to report immediately had come from the Council.

Weary both mentally and physically, he wished the meeting could have been delayed. On a good day, facing the Council required him to be alert and heavily shielded, two things he was currently short on. His rising feelings of discontent only increased when he reached the waiting area and found it packed with Jedi awaiting their turn at an audience.

His presence was greeted with a wide range of looks and emotions. Some viewed him with thinly disguised suspicion and accusation, while others reflected respect and gratitude. Eitan was only aware of those that screamed of his past wrong doings. Careful to paste a blank expression on his face, he moved forward as the padawan on duty motioned him forward.

"The Council is awaiting your arrival Master Eitan," the young man informed him with a respectful bow.

Eitan nodded as he swept through the open doors, grateful to be away from the gawking throng. Striding to the center of the room he offered the assembled Jedi a bow before rising to meet Master Yoda?s wizened stare.

"You sent for me Master?"

Master Windu was the one who responded to his query. "Welcome home Master Eitan. We?ve received a message of deep gratitude from the local government on Mythils. Their praise for the way you handled the weapons smuggler was high indeed."

Uneasy under the admiring glances being sent his way, Eitan responded with a shrug of broad shoulders. "I only did my job Master Windu."

Master Yoda tapped the tip of his stick against the floor, slanted eyes perusing the man before them. "Modest you are Master Eitan. Understand we do that came close to losing you we did."

Eitan felt little surprise that the Council had been m

14. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    So another is about to force Eiten's hand. Well, about time, too.

Good job. I liked that he had some residual effects from his 'adventures' with Vos.

15. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Eitan... they're pressing him once more! Bloody Council... hehehe oh well he should decide either yea or nay, for another has his/her eye on the boy. My question is... who?

Great work!! :D Poor Eitan... leg bothers him still. Oh I was meaning about comforting Eitan.. but if ya need comforting :) I can help there too ;) I can always offer a shoulder :) What are friends for?

16. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I like how his answer wasn't as difinitive once he realized there was a good risk of losing the kid to another master.

17. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    He?d only been back a few standard hours, the first of which had been spent apologizing to a distraught Saesee Tinn for the damage done to a blessedly absent Anakin?s ship. [face_laugh]

Loving this story. I really like Eitan, he's an incredible character. I can't wait to read what comes next.

18. Altaira

Altaira Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2002
    The Council does have confidence in his work but seeing his doubts they are getting hard on Eitan. :) He is having trouble adjusting at the temple.

I hope their ultimatum to him does not backfire. Sometimes it takes others to see what he cannot and point it out. :D

19. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Ooh, it hurts when your hand is forced, isn't it, Eitan? :p

Great job with the Council, OE! About time they got to work on him. Can't wait to see what his decision is...

Shaindl

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I just can't tell you how much I love Eitan! He's so wonderfully complex and complicated. Sigh...I'd just love to meet him. Again, I must compliment you on this amazing OC. You've really brought him to life. Wonderful, wonderful work!

"A year you?ve had to decide Master Eitan. Left young Tamir confused and in limbo you have. Until tomorrow you have to decide once and for all. Dismissed you are," the Jedi Master announced with a trace of seldom seen disapproval stamped on his lined features.

Stung by the silent but powerful rebuke, Eitan offered the Council a bow before spinning on his heel and striding from the room. His leg protested the movement and nearly buckled beneath him. Steadying himself, could feel the collective weight of their eyes boring into the back of his head right before the doors slid shut.

I can't wait to see what he decides! Great job.

21. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    Great start oe. :) I like that the Council is pressuring Eitan to make a decision before the boy loses his chance to become a padawan.

22. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Good for Eitan. He's going to take some more time to think about it instead of giving up his rights to Tamir without another glance.

He better come to right decision - like taking Tamir as his padawan! :)

23. Captain_Observant

Captain_Observant Jedi Master star 2

Dec 15, 2002
    AHHH...nothing like a good kick in the butt to push you forward, right Eitan? [face_beatup]

You certainly don't let your readers down OE! That was a great beginning!

This story looks very promising. So good in fact, that I might just be able to forget the fact that Obi is not a major character in it! (uh-oh...stepping outside my box again! ;))

24. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Diane Residual effects? Big words scare me. [face_worried] You mean his limp? :D

Kynstar The other interested party has his say in the matter. :eek:

PK The silly man can be a dolt. ;)

AnakinsHeir [face_blush] Thank you for reading and replying. :)

Altaira He'll continue to be stubborn I'm afraid. :(

Shaindl Poor Eitan. Does he really deserve to have the Council on his back? :p

VaderLVR [face_blush] I imagine he would be a very interesting person to talk too. At least I hope so. :D

Sheila Hi! Thank you for reading this even though your rogue Obi is missing. :)

Bekah Eitan will certainly have some matters to ponder. ;)

Captain Hi you! Thanks for giving this Obiless fic a chance. [face_love]

Okay kids, you know how I am about my Jedi and bar fights. [face_batting]

CHAPTER THREE

Knight Kiran Minh sat back in the large comfortable chair, hands wrapped around a glass of ale. His gaze slowly traveled around the spacious room which was rapidly filling up. The crowd was the normal mix of Jedi and Coruscants most prominent politicians. The two diverse groups exchanged friendly greetings before moving to opposite sides of the room. They came to the cantina not because of its close proximity to both the Jedi Temple and the Senate building, but because of its relaxing atmosphere. Excellent food and the planets finest liquors were added benefits.

Taking a sip, Kiran watched as a familiar figure entered the establishment and hovered in the doorway. It was painfully obvious to anyone watching that the man was uncomfortable under the scrutiny his arrival garnered. Dark eyes desperately searched the crowd, lighting up with relief as they rested on Kiran?s table before the man hurried toward him. As he watched his friend offer brief replies to the numerous greetings he was receiving along the way, Kiran released a solemn sigh. Eitan?s limp was more pronounced tonight, a sure sign that the man was exhausted.

Kiran knew better than anyone that Eitan had endured much over the course of his life, some of it because of the bad choices he?d made. No one could deny however that events had conspired to help worsen matters. The past had left deep raw scars on Eitan?s heart and soul, crippling any chance of happiness and peace he may have found. It was Kiran?s greatest hope that his friend could overcome his past actions and learn to see what was right in front of him before it was too late. That very topic had been discussed between Kiran and Anakin Skywalker just days ago. The young man was deeply worried about his one time mentor.

Kiran was forced to break off from his troubled musings as the subject of his thoughts finally reached the table. Dropping gratefully into the chair Kiran kicked out for him, Eitan ordered both a meal and strong drink from the serving droid before turning toward his friend. Dark circles lay like shadows under deep brown eyes and enhanced the weary cast that clung to darkly handsome features. Although the older Jedi had gained much needed weight over the past year and his features were a more healthy color, the ghosts still haunted his eyes.

"Good to see you home safely. I hear it was a near miss," the younger man commented with genuine concern.

A pained grimace moved over Eitan?s face at his words. "I?ve begun to suspect I unwittingly made the holonews. Everyone seems to know about my little scrape."

"Little scrape? I heard you came mere inches from having your head relocated," Kiran informed him with a frown.

Eitan paused long enough to snatch the drink out of the droids metal hand and took a deep drink before responding with a careless shrug. "It was a close call. I?ve had worse."

Kiran felt a surprising wave of irritation sweep through him at the reply. Biting back the harsh words that quivered on the tip of his tongue, he sat back and focused his gaze on his half empty glass.

"I wonder if our young friend will mirror your dismissal of the incident. He?s bound to hear about it," he

25. Bekah_K

Sep 3, 2002
    Loved it! :D

It's great that Eitan has such a good friend in Kiran. He needs that. And I liked the way Kiran's interest was peeked at having heard that the Council was once again prompting Eitan toward Tamir. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.