main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least Favorite Film of the Saga and Why (Locked-Use New Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Nov 15, 2015.

?

What is your least favorite film of the saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

63 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Attack of the Clones

83 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. A New Hope

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Return of the Jedi

17 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. The Force Awakens

62 vote(s)
    24.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    ROTJ

Can't stand it. Hate the film. Hate the dialogue, acting, plot and battles. Palpatine was great though and I like the DS2 battle. Everything else, nope. I find it more tolerable if I watch ROTS first though.

2. Too-Gon Onbourbon

Too-Gon Onbourbon Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 23, 2016
    Phantom Menace not that I think it is a terrible movie but it has some really bad Star Wars points that I am bugged by such as midichlorians, "space Jesus", the rule of two, a lot of the hide bound Jedi code, and relationships between characters to varying degrees.
    You add Jar Jar and a lot of him and you get my least favorite Star Wars movie even if Clones is actually a worse movie it is so in a less grating fashion for me personally.

ObiWanKnowsMe and Sarge like this.
  3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    AOTC is my least favorite. This is primarily because of the dialogue, the way the romance was mishandled by Lucas, etc. However, my favorite aspect of the film is Jango Fett. My second favorite is Darth Tyranus.

4. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    ROTJ

Jabba's palace, Lukes escape plan, Han & Leia romance scenes, Ewoks - it's all pretty awful.The only good thing about it is the Emperor, and he appears way late in.

5. Metal Lord

Metal Lord Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 27, 2016
    While I like all of them, I voted for TFA but my opinion could change after more viewings and after knowing how it all plays out in VIII & IX.
    At the moment, I enjoy them like this:
    -TPM: Very entertaining movie and also to enjoyable as a guy who's in his 30s. Yes, I also like Jar Jar and am ok with the statement that midichlorians have an effect on how force sensitive you are.
    Some mistake the midichlorians for being the force which is wrong from what I understood. So the midichlorians do not take away from the force. And TPM just looks amazingly great, for example Jar Jar, what a cool CGI creature. You find him too goofy? Watch Predator. :p

AOTC: This is beside TFA the weakest movie for me at the moment but I only watched it 1 and a half times. It is a bit lengthy and boring but in the end contributes to the PT storylines. Since I enjoy the Star Wars movies as a whole, AOTC is at least alright.

ROTS: Super strong movie, the first that I watched in a cinema. I liked all actors and was captivated by the torn Anakin and Obi Wan as well as by Sidious. Grim, dark and featuring my favorite light saber battle (on Mustafar). One of my favorite (Star Wars) movies and it connects good (storywise) with ANH.

ANH: It's some time ago I watched it, the OT suffers from being dated. So I am open for special edition stuff. ANH is good.

TESB: Yes, many think it's the best Star Wars movie but I do not get that feeling. It's the movie with Yoda training Luke and the "I am your father" scene, both iconic and great. But as a whole the movie does not provide enough adventure to me and I do not care about Lando. So TESB is better than AOTC and TFA in my eyes, but not necessarily better than ANH or TPM.

ROTJ: My favorite Star Wars movie besides ROTJ. This movie is full of adventurous stuff, got like ROTS the climax of its trilogy and I like Ewoks as well as the happy ending with the force ghosts. Great stuff.

TFA: I might like it better once I know if they did not drop the ball. When I watched it, I liked the new characters but that's about it. The death star 3 / bring shield down / trench run came off as uninspired as well as the document that's hidden in a droid. Luke hiding away, Han and Leia divorced and sad? Han not looking good as a father and who also reverted to smuggling, really? Did he also smuggle while being married to Leia? It did not feel like they treated the old heroes well, they could have made up a different take on their story.
    I hope they find good answers in XIII and IX that help understanding what had happened during the 30 years gap.

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  6. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Thomas Jay asked

Did he also smuggle while being married to Leia?

Maybe that's the reason why their relationship went south, he just couldn't quit this habit. ;)

7. Padmes_love_slave24

Padmes_love_slave24 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 24, 2003
    No movie is my least favorite I love all 7 films because I am actually a Star Wars fan[face_whistling]

IamZam and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  8. Purple Ren

Purple Ren Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2015
    I think least favorite can mean a lot of things, so for me, I'll go with: which film in the saga would I he least likely to watch if I had to choose from all 7 of them. I'd probably say AOTC because while each of the other films has some reason that stands out to me, this one doesn't.
    TPM: watch it for Qui-Gon
    ROTS: watch it for Anakin's turn and the duels
    ANH: watch it for Luke's first steps as a Jedi
    ESB: watch it for training with Yoda
    ROTJ: watch it for the Emperor
    TFA: watch it for Kylo and Rey, as well as the return of old characters
    With AOTC, you get duels, but the ones in ROTS are better,IMO.

9. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    What's unique about AOTC is that it's the only film where you get to see multiple Jedi fighting together at the same time. Nevertheless, it is one of the two films that rank as my least favorite, depending on the context in which they are being viewed.

In terms of a stand alone movie experience, TPM is my least favorite because I find it just boring for the most part. There is a definite lack of excitement to it.

In terms of impact on the saga, however, AOTC is definitely my least favorite. Though it isn't as boring as TPM, it messes up crucial Padme/Anakin elements and consequently has a negative effect on the saga as a whole. Because Anakin's romantic connection with Padme is unconvincing, his fall is unconvincing, and the pay off at the end of ROTJ actually becomes diminished.

10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    You know, when I think about it, AotC only sucks when you compare it to the other 6 movies. I remember thinking that AotC was the coolest thing ever when I was 9 years old. The romance sucked, but everything else was awesome!

Except Ewan's mullet. Nobody likes mullets.

Obi-Wan Catnobi, Sarge and SlashMan like this.
  11. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    GASP!
    Wow, what is your problem?!
    Of course, cats have much more sophisticated opinions than Jedi.......

12. Amber Kenobi

Amber Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 12, 2016
    ANH was my favorite movie, for it was not just an amazing sci-fi, it was an amazing movie. The dialogue brought back was similar to TFA, and I just loved it. Of course, ESB had Yoda, I am your father, Battle of Hoth, Han frozen in carbonite, lots of plot twists to keep the viewers entertained. But the old charm in A New Hope showed that sci-fis can actually be something to think about. I am always hooked on sci-fi, but I am ALWAYS hooked on Star Wars!

IamZam likes this.
  13. Sith-I-5

Sith-I-5 Force Ghost star 6

Aug 14, 2002
    Least favourite film of the Saga.

On reflection, The Force Awakens.

I enjoyed it, but I enjoyed all the other six films when I watched them at the cinema too, but weeks after, this is the only one that I am still vocally critiquing for something - the guano way the 'Falcon blew through the Starkiller Base shields at faster than ******* light, and did not smash into the planet. To a lesser extent, badly undermining and dis-respecting Han Solo, and having Rey, a lovely character, magic up a jedi mind trick out of nowhere, out-Han Solo Han Solo, on his own ship, and beat a Luke and Sith-trained Kylo Ren in a lightsabre fight.

The FTL jump through the shields was the step too far.

I had no problem after the fact with Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi...okay, I stopped liking Luke after that movie, but that was limited to one character.

The Phantom Menace, I still only really like the Darth Maul lightsabre fight, and the Pod Race out of the whole movie, but I never actually carried around with me a chip about any of it, like I have been doing with TFA.

Attack of the Clones, thought it was great, till I watched LOTR: The Two Towers, and decided one explosion at Helms Deep had more drama and tension than all of AOTC.

But TFA messed with so much lore and established SW physics to make itself work that while it is a great action flick, as a SW chapter, I do feel the most negativity.

IamZam likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You don't have to love all of them or love them all equally to be an "actual" fan. That's absurd and childish.

15. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Mango was definitely a stand out and a missed opportunity to carry him over to episode 3. When I look at Grevious, Maul, Dooku and Jango those 4 characters could have been combined into 2 or 3 characters.

16. MoonFyre

MoonFyre Jedi Master star 2

Jan 19, 2016
    TPM. Jar Jar binks ruined it with his constant fumbling.

Obi-Wan Catnobi likes this.
  17. Araxie

Araxie Jedi Master star 3

Mar 6, 2006
    Empire Strikes Back. Yup I don't go with all the fans that love it. I only watch it when my husband wants to watch it which is not often.

Close second is Attack of the Clones. The romance between Padme and Anakin is so unbelievable that it drives me crazy. I can't figure out how a woman like her could fall in love with such a brat as he is. Now the Anakin of ROTS I get, he is still petulant but at least he has a maturity from fighting in wars that has tempered him a bit.

18. Pax12

Pax12 Jedi Padawan star 1

May 14, 2015
    AOTC. "Star Wars Attack of the Clones is the worst thing ever made by a human." -Mr. Plinkett

PymParticles , Jhawk117 and medioCORE like this.
  19. Corac

Corac Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 16, 2015
    The Phantom Menace. Once I may have said Attack of the Clones because of the awful, awful romance, but after watching it recently with my sister, I realized we both found the romance immensely entertaining, and everything with Obi-Wan's investigation is pretty neat and interesting.

Sith-I-5 and IamZam like this.
  20. AstroDroid88

AstroDroid88 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2016
    Attack of the Clones. I have grown to like it over the years but it is still my least favorite of the saga. 1) I can't stand Hayden Christensen's acting 2) A little too boring for me. The real action doesn't start towards end with the Battle of Geonosis

21. Haytham

Haytham Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 28, 2016
    Definitely TPM. AotC has lower lows (the romance etc.), but I really enjoy the conspiracy subplot and the movie's uneasy atmosphere. TPM keeps a consistently higher bar of quality, but it's just so dull and bland for me.

22. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016
    I'll go The Phantom Menace, although only by the most slender margin possible over Attack of the Clones. Overall, the characters I found either irritating (Jar Jar and Anakin) or more wooden than those Japanese temples. It started off boringly and with dull acting, and stayed that way. I could not find any emotional investment except for occasional annoyance at illogical actions and two certain characters. Action scenes were all too clean and emotionless, and the underwater fish scene had no bearing whatsoever on the plot. Eventually, I was so turned off emotionally that I began noticing various nit-picky details, such as how many things are unaffected when hit with blaster fire, and also Ewan McGregor's unnatural accent; one of the biggest was how Naboo was apparently completely uninhabited accept for its pilots and a small government: I could not really bring myself to care about the planet's plight because I couldn't see any ordinary people, let alone anyone suffering. There are other problems too, but I'll stop now.

Sarge likes this.
  23. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Like when?

There are plenty of people who are blasted back and off their feet by blasters. A glass window is shattered open. The Droideka's cause a big explosion just as the Jedi speed away.

When in the other films do blasters do more?

24. DarthCricketer

DarthCricketer Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2016

Yes, but the explosion and things flying all over the place don't seem to have much of an effect on the set (walls, etc.).

25. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    My feelings are the opposite. Up until the end battle, there's at least some "trainwreck" appeal to the movie (alongside a couple of small legitimately good things) but the pointless and mind-numbingly long action finale is just exhausting. It's a barrage of noise and bright colors with no meaning or stakes.

DavBacca, Sarge and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.