main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least Favorite Film of the Saga and Why (Locked-Use New Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Nov 15, 2015.

?

What is your least favorite film of the saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

63 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Attack of the Clones

83 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. A New Hope

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Return of the Jedi

17 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. The Force Awakens

62 vote(s)
    24.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    well I liked it just because it marked the beginning of the clone wars that we had heard so much about for so long... and when Yoda took out his saber, I remember the theater going crazy lol

Howard Hand likes this.
  2. CometSmudge

CometSmudge Jedi Padawan

Feb 17, 2016
    Attack of the clones. Too much love.[face_love]
    I still like it, I just like it less than the other ones.

3. jimmycrank

jimmycrank Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    AotC, Starts off well enough, then gets abit.....meh..... Worst Lightsaber Duel(s) of the Saga, messy plot, focused to much on the wrong stuff . Ends well though. the big battle on Geonosis is good.

TPM was close second, while i find TPM Entertaining, I think it wasted alot of time in the overall story arc for Anakin.

-Jedi Joe- and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  4. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    TFA.
    Saw it twice, didn't like it first time, it was better the second.
    The characters are likeable, but essentially supraficial. Rey progresses too much, I don't know what's Finn's purpose, Poe is greatly underused (but still a great pilot, of course), Hux is a shame, Phasma wasted. Han's death was unemotional, Leia and Maz are also underused and Kylo is truly bad villain. There are scenes that are more ST (rathtars and the destruction of the Hosnian system seen from another planet, I truly hate that scene, it's so bad!) and some that look like a fan movie (Finn and that stormtrooper fighting) and some that were really badly thought through (like the attack on the Starkiller base. Where was Hux's stardestroyer?). The movie lacks some exposition scenes like the one with the New republic politicians and/or Leia, with the other knights of Ren, when R2 saves the dan (like he did in Lucas' movies) or perhaps those with the hint of Rey's origin. The scene after Han's death where Leia and Chewie pass by each other is inexcusable. The map story is not very convincing, as well as making plans to attack the Starkiller. The cantina scene is pointless, the movie lacks new and unique imagery, settings and directions, yes, it leaves some questions to be answered, but not in a good way like Lucas did and, ultimately, it failed to fulfill my expectations of being a superb SW movie for a new generations of fans.

5. CaptainRegor

CaptainRegor Jedi Master star 3

Nov 15, 2012
    I love them all... But I think I have to go with The Phantom Menace. The Tatooine and Coruscant parts (apart from the podrace) is fun. Naboo is okay. So yeah TPM is probably lowest for me. (And I don't mind Jar-Jar!)

6. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    TFA. I just could not get into the story or characters at all. Plus, I was actually bored watching it my second time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Subtext Mining likes this.
  7. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    For me, it's "THE FORCE AWAKENS". Not that I think it's a bad movie by any means. I've seen it twice in the theater and was entertained well enough both times. I just love Lucas' 6-parter as a unit too much, and I don't care for its IMO noticeable shortage on imagination next to them that even led to some story decisions that concern me.

8. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    TFA, but if you asked me for the prequels, AOTC.

AOTC was amazing film but It "really" suffered in editing and some script errors. Also, due to only having one more movie with Anakin and not getting a lot of time with Hayden, that hurt it also.

But GL told a tragic tale, and he achieved that.

TFA because of Disney PR pander. Loved the movie for what it was but it's my LEAST SW movie and I didn't like the obvious fan service and characterization.

jimkenobi and ObiWanKnowsMe like this.
  9. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    Gonna have to go with what seems to be the most popular answer... AotC. The beginning is fun and a nice start, the ending is splendid. The final action sequences on Geonosis in AotC is breathtaking. I left the theater absolutely blown away after my first viewing of it in 2002. But everything between the beginning and ending act of the movie seems to move too slowly.

AshiusX and Ezon Pin like this.
  10. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013

Wait, do you really hate it Del??

This makes me sad :(

Deliveranze likes this.
  11. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015

I mean I like all the films but this is the one I have the most issues with. I found if I watch it after ROTS, it boosts up to 8/10. The worst SW film is still a 7 :)

El Jedi Colombiano likes this.
  12. Rock-N-Roll Jedi

Rock-N-Roll Jedi Jedi Knight

Feb 29, 2016
    The Phantom Menace. I felt it was stiff, sterile and boring. I felt no attachment to any of the characters and I didn't find the story to be all that great either. The music was good at least...

13. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    The Force Awakens by a long shot. I hate this film so much that I don't even consider it be a part of the Saga.

The list would be long why I don't like it if I sat here and typed it all out.

I felt it is completely unoriginal and a rehash for starters though. It its a cheap cash grab from a big corporation that made a movie with no creativity but just took things they were sure fans liked from previous Star Wars films and made that into the movie for nostalgia and fan services which is why its popular…but not me I'm not into such cheap pandering. I think George was right to make his own story the way he wanted it to be rather than what the fans wanted. Thats what happens when a committee of people making a movie instead of an artist.

The main character is the biggest problem with the film as my signature says. A Mary Sue that doesn't ever do anything wrong in the film and insults everyone around her. She even had to tell Han how to fly the ship. Um sorry Disney but that is complete and utter BS. Also she touches a lightsaber and has instant Jedi powers with no tutelage under a Jedi Master to learn anything….stupid.

Han went back to smuggling. Him and Leia separated. Luke dropped everything and went running off to hide like a little baby leaving the galaxy to be run by the bad guy who looks like he could play the sherif of Nottingham in a Robin Hood movie…lol

I could go on and on.

14. ObiWanKnowsMe

Sep 7, 2015
    That's one inconsistency with people who praise the originals and TFA. They gloss over how Rey never struggles. We saw Luke's struggles and humble beginnings. Luke was never perfect. It took a lot of work for him to overcome his problems. Rey overcomes her's immediately. One of the main reasons why people love originals is because of the characters' struggles and their growth.

15. Italian Ackbar

Italian Ackbar Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2015
    So what's the reason for that avatar? :D

Avnar and Force Smuggler like this.
  16. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    This is hard! I suppose if I had to pick what would be at the bottom (not saying "worst" here) for me it would be TPM. The other 6 films just had more about them I liked/loved and I will admit Jake Lloyd's Anakin was a bit grating at times.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  17. astronaut23

astronaut23 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 9, 2005
    I like Kylo Rens lightsaber design. I didn't have a problem with his character. I liked him when he did have the mask on cause his design is a lot like Darth Revan from the Knights of the Old Republic video game.

He's not a Mary Sue…lol.

18. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    The Force Awakens

I have only seen it once, granted, but I don't particularly feel like paying to see it again; however, I think I've given it a fair shake. It just seems like a film made by a committee to me. While watching it, I couldn't help but feel that it was corporate, not artistic. Are the elements of art in it? Sure - the music, costumes, special effects work, etc. But they never come together to make a sum that is greater than its parts for me. The other 6 films, in contrast, could occasionally have a few low points - maybe a bad line of dialogue here or there or a scene that goes on a tad too long or a design that looks a little silly. But they are all films that come together to be something truly masterful, in a way TFA can't even hope to touch.

Of the original 6, A New Hope is my least favorite, mostly because the other films have the advantage of being able to build on everything that ANH established. I still love ANH wholeheartedly, though.

19. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Yeah, that is the biggest reason why I can't have TFA any higher then 4th on my list(behind ESB, ROTS, ANH, ROTJ). From a technical stand point, the film is pretty flawless. But in terms of creativity and story, it ranks below the other 6 IMO.

As for my least favorite, it would have to be AOTC. Time has not done that movie any favors IMO.

Ezon Pin likes this.
  20. ConservativeJedi321

ConservativeJedi321 Force Ghost star 6

Mar 19, 2016
    ANH In Lucas's Saga, just because I feel it hasn't aged well and it is very dull for me. Little action and lots of plain earth like planets.

TFA In the over all saga, I give ANH credit for "originality" for lack of a better term. My complaints with TFA are to numerous to list here but I put some of them in the "Hater Sanctuary" In the TFA forum. Mostly it can be chalked up to simply not having the feel of Star Wars, though there is certainly far more to it than that.

21. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015
    Changed my outlook.

TFA is now just my least SW movie.

AOTC has it's problems but the positives out weigh the negatives.

22. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    TFA is my least favorite. Why ?
    Too few original,new things really happening in it ,is actually repeating the story from "A new hope" - Empire has some super weapon,with which they want to destroy a planet and freedom fighters,somehow,are destroying the weapon.
    See other resemblances with A new hope:
    - Han Solo - same Han Solo ;
    Rey- new Luke;
    Luke - new Yoda etc.
    Leia - same Leia [face_laugh]
    Finn - also resembles Han Solo
    BB8 - R2D2 - both are carrying a light saber
    The part with Kylo killing his father,is taken from old cannon,when Sidious is killing his father ,so not so many things are original in TFA.

However, J.J was extremely intelligent to repeat the story of "A new hope",which seems to be most popular movie from all Star Wars .
    And,I am sure that 90% if not more of the people who are liking a lot "A new hope" really loved TFA too.
    This is how TFA got such a huge box office.

EDIT:
    And you know is ironic that highest box office , The Force Awakens if first and Phantom Menace is 2nd .

23. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I went with TPM as my least favorite. And "least favorite" is proper wording indeed, as I still enjoy watching it. I like it least simply cos of the events kind of drag along-it is some interesting storyline, but IMO it would've served better if these events were just talked about in AOTC and ROTS, rather than a whole episode of finding Anakin and the political turmoil and all that.

As has been mentioned with AOTC, I feel that in this one as well the positives outweigh the negatives, but it's simply not enough to make it higher on my list. The only things that really stand out for me are the podrace, the origins of Anakin and the lightsaber duel at the end. But everything in between is a bit weak and slow moving IMO.

As a setup to a saga, I think it serves well. As a movie? Not really...

24. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    The Force Awakens. I´m not even going to bother to tell why. I would spend several days writing this post.

25. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    TFA could have been better explained and more deeply relevant to the existent films, but I wouldn't say it was the worst by far.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.