main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least Favorite Film of the Saga and Why (Locked-Use New Thread)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Nov 15, 2015.

?

What is your least favorite film of the saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

63 vote(s)
    24.5%
  2. Attack of the Clones

83 vote(s)
    32.3%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  4. A New Hope

12 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  6. Return of the Jedi

17 vote(s)
    6.6%
  7. The Force Awakens

62 vote(s)
    24.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    TFA is great. I really think it's great. But it's Star Wars without Lucas, and it shows. So I've gotta say TFA is my least fave.

Of the original 6, that's a nearly impossible question for me. Probs ROTJ though. I think the ending of ROTJ is incredibly compelling, but the first half doesn't have the emotional attachment there. The Tattooine scenes are really great fun, but don't suck you in quite like Luke's origins in ANH or Han and Leia's romance in ESB.

Subtext Mining and Erkan12 like this.
  2. IToldKanjiklub

IToldKanjiklub Jedi Youngling

Apr 14, 2016
    Man, to be honest...i like them all, even Phantom Menace.

But yeah, Phantom Menace probably ends up on my least favourite. That said, I have a lot of nostalgia over that movie, so its hard for me to pick one.

3. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    Attack of the Clones. I just feel like there were so many important things that this film tried and failed to establish: Anakin being a likable hero with a dark side, the romance between Anakin and Padme, and the friendship between Anakin and Obi-Wan. There are still lots of things I love about the film (McGregor's performance as Obi-Wan, John Williams' score, the overall mysterious feel of the film, etc.) but the storytelling failures plus the horrible dialogue and overuse of CGI place Episode II firmly at the bottom of my list.

DrDre, Darth Dnej, Erkan12 and 3 others like this.
  4. Darth Basin

Darth Basin Jedi Master star 5

Aug 15, 2015
    TFA 4 me. Just 2 much nostalgia. Lucas called it best (a retro film). Not enough nu ideas. Hate to say the same old talking points but another sand world, another superweapon with ANOTHER TRENCH RUN, another dude all in black in a mask.

I mean really. JJ, another Trench Run on another superweapon?

Rogue One, save me!

Subtext Mining likes this.
  5. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    It's been almost two years since I posted this.

My opinion has changed. Attack of the Clones is my least favorite now. ESB is still boring (2nd act) and overrated, but it is good compared to the piece of junk titled Attack of the Clones.

6. Steve McGarrett

Steve McGarrett Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 1, 2017
    I like them all really, but for me number 8 is ROTS. There are parts I love, but Anakin's turn, Padme's death and the whole lava surfing thing don't do much for me.

Avnar and Sarge like this.
  7. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    You will just have to take me for my word here, but all I can say is that I decided not to like The Phantom Menace before it came out, and I ended up absolutely loving it when I actually saw it. I will admit my expectations were really no higher for The Force Awakens, but the result was sadly different for me.

8. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
    Believe it or not, TFA.

It's a good film, but "TRAITOR!"

That's the simple version.

The more complex version is, It took a look and around and then stepped on everything OT.

I wish Rey the best of luck. Maybe her New Jedi/Sith Order, should she choose to start one, works out.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I voted Jedi but that was before TFA was released. I feel bad my vote is in the wrong place now. Chief Chirpa will be angry.

10. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    TPM. The only things I liked about the film are Darth Maul, Duel of the Fates, Anakin being shown as a good, selfless little kid.

11. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Rogue One is my least favorite Star Wars film because of the erratically paced first act, the overuse of Vader and Tarkin, and not quite enough investment with the primary cast.

The Phantom Menace is my least favorite saga film because it doesn't fully commit to a central protagonist, and the second act on Tatooine drags a little bit.

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    ESB but TFA is very close behind. I just hate how in ESB the good guys are constantly on the run and barely fight back. Plus, I think the big reveal is overrated.

13. Jordan1Kenobi

Jordan1Kenobi Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    While I really love every single one of the films, I've got to say The Phantom Menace, because of it's pacing. I still gave it a 9/10 though.

Jo Lucas likes this.
  14. TheMoldyCrow

TheMoldyCrow Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 2015
    Attack of the Clones is my least favorite film in the series, mostly because it doesn't feel like a film. I think "a VFX test reel made by ILM" is a more accurate description.

I agree with you on Tarkin, but Vader was overused? He was onscreen for not even five minutes.

wobbits, Sarge, Erkan12 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jo Lucas

Jo Lucas Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2015
    This is the best description I've ever heard. It is also my least favourite one, it is the only SW movie I come close to hate.

16. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    I think the Mustafar scene is unnecessary. That said, seeing Vader's castle realized on screen for the first time made me fangasm harder than any other point of the film.

TheMoldyCrow likes this.
  17. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I recently revisited AOTC for the first time in years and found it kinda painful. The narrative is such a mess; it makes very little sense if you don't know Palpatine is Sidious! Though I love the design throughout and some of the set pieces, it's by far the worst of the prequels.

Erkan12 likes this.
  18. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    TFA.
    George Lucas never intended to have the story continue after the destruction of the Empire and the deaths of the Emperor and Darth Vader.

TPM comes in second, I recently watched it for the first time, separately from all other films (which I already knew much longer) and I found it was kinda good as a standalone part of the saga, like... a Star Wars story. TPM doesn't fit with the episodes at all and I think it should belong with the Anthology series.

19. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Return of the Jedi.

It's the only one of the seven films that I would turn off to watch Law and Order. The first hour is brutal. The last 5 minutes are great, though!

Deliveranze likes this.
  20. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    Lucas was developing his own concept for the sequel trilogy before he sold to Disney. It's not something he slapped together to sweeten the deal, it's something that was being actively developed and that he intended to film himself before deciding to pass the series on. So the whole "never intended the story to continue" thing is a bit of an erroneous complaint.

21. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    What bothered me most was that for a long time, Lucas considered the story to be finished with ROTJ. I remember him saying in a 2005 interview that "there is no Episode 7" and that the only possibilities for sequel movies would be "another offshoot movie somewhere about an offshoot character in that world, but not about Luke Skywalker, not about that group of people."
    Whatever Lucas planned for sequel movies, this wasn't it.

22. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999

I also voted before TFA was released and would like to change my vote to TFA as well.

As for reasons. Well there's many, to save time I'll just say it's the reasons you hear most of the time for it already.

23. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    The Force Awakens for me is easily the worst Star Wars movie and quite possibly one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Certainly one of the worst experiences I have ever had in a movie theater. I had to watch the other six SW episodes for two weeks to get the bad taste of that movie out of my mouth. The pacing is godawful and the movie felt nothing like SW. The characters seemed nothing like SW characters. The lack of originality and imagination is embarrassing. The only good thing about the movie is that it makes me realize just how much Lucas brought to those movies and it keeps me from obsessing over my very minor disagreements with what he did in the prequels.

I have not yet seen Rogue One.

24. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Uh.

Have you seen very many movies?

heels1785 , Sarge and SensationalSean like this.
  25. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008

=D==D=Glad to see someone realizes this. I've been saying for years that Obi-Wan was not equipped to be a Master to someone like- an outsider- Anakin, being a product of a "self-corrupted" system himself. The Jedi needed to evolve or at the very least go back to their roots and become living embodiment of what they represent...I don't believe the Jedi deserved death, but even in real life, cruel things will happen to bring to your attention that a change is needed, even when may not perceive it as such. Sadly I feel that unlike Yoda, I feel that Kenobi never understood this. this why This is Luke's line in TLJ teaser doesn't bother me in itself; though I'm a bit worried about how the delicate matter may be presented in the movie, as it has been completely disastrous outside the context of the Saga. - Looking at YOU FILONI!!! [face_waiting][face_sigh]

Anyhow,

My Least Favorite is TFA. I haven't watched it again since the early viewing at the Marathon, I don't care too. The Movie sticks out like that pesky bit of skin at the side of your nail within the Saga...don't own it, likely never will, unless it comes as a gift like my copy of The Last Airbender movie. It just aggravated me far more than I enjoyed it.

wobbits likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.