main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 14, 2017.

?

What is your least favorite film of the Saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

47 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

66 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Return of the Jedi

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. The Force Awakens

61 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. The Last Jedi

105 vote(s)
    34.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Visivious Drakarn

Visivious Drakarn Jedi Master star 3

Apr 20, 2013
    The Last Jedi.

First of all, Luke was wasted. TFA, however bad the movie is, left us two hints about Luke. He left a map - so he wants to be found. Now he wants to die. OK. Then he went searching for the first Jedi temple. Why? TLJ never addresses it.
    Second, Rey is the worst hero in the saga... And perhaps more. In TFA she learned all by herself, in TLJ she saved those texts and got half a lesson from Luke and what, she'll rebuild the Order? C'mon! Anakin and Luke were heroes in each of their movies, they needed help, we cared. Here, oh, look! Rey just lifted a bunch of rocks! With the Force! Her parents are apparently nobodies, but the lightsaber (in TFA) chose her. That grand twist about her parents means nothing, she is special... In a way. And she wants to redeem Kylo... Why?
    Third, rebels, resistance vs. the FO is just pure lack of imagination. Leia, Poe and Holdo, who appears out of nowhere, spend 150 minutes of the movie flying from one planet to another.
    Some characters are utterly wasted (Snoke, Phasma, Hux, Holdo), some humor fails (Luke milking that animal, BB-8 driving the AT-ST, Poe vs. Hux), as in TFA, TLJ also brings the same lessons about the Force as the OT did, just with different - less appealing - words, nothing new here. While the whole movie remained in the safe zone, there was only one moment I really liked: the arms dealers. There are people in the galaxy that sell weapons to both sides. It was then when Johnson expanded his horizons and presented us something truly new; too bad it didn't last. This is the movie where our heroes progress the least and which made the galaxy as small as possible: at the end all that remained are the FO with wannabe Vader in the lead position and a fistful of resistance fighters, all crammed in Falcon.

2. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Where is Return of the Jedi? I see two Empires in the poll.

[​IMG]

3. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Fixed.

RayO1 likes this.
  4. Gembo

Gembo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2017
    My least favourite is definitely Attack of the Clones. It spends too much of the film on Anakin whining and generally bad dialogue, and the rest of it is filled with boring, CGI-ridden action sequences that just bore me. There are a few good parts, my favourite being the whole scene with Anakin finding his mother dead, and proceeding to kill the sand people. Hayden Christensen's acting is surprisingly very good when he finds his mother, and the scene is always gut-wrenching for me. However, the film as a whole is just mediocre, and is always the film I enjoy the least when watching the Star Wars movies.

RayO1, wobbits and Sarge like this.
  5. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    Attack of the Clones. Too much whiney Anakin for me. Bad acting. Seriously lacking quality dialogue.

6. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    TLJ

Not a terrible movie, especially by modern blockbuster standards. I don't hate it. But it doesn't feel like Star Wars to me.

Miriedis, wobbits, eko32eko7 and 9 others like this.
  7. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    The Phantom Menace. The saga exposition is not as interesting anymore, and the Gungans are an actual menace. The pod race was cool a few times. All mostly redeemed by the Theed lightsaber battle.

And while Attack Of The Clones doesn't have a high point like the fight with Darth Maul, I've come to now rank it above Ep. I overall. I think some of you ammosophiles out there just resent Anakin's desert origins.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  8. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    What are ammosophiles?

9. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    People who love sand. Sorry, I just made it up. Ámmos is Greek for sand.

eko32eko7, Hypatia, Lulu Mars and 4 others like this.
  10. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    Revenge of the Sith! It's actually the one SW film I completely skip...

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    OOC, do you watch them in Episode order or other? I think it'd be rather jarring watching in Episode order without watching the complete change from Republic to Empire, Anakin to Vader, Chancellor to Emperor

12. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I just fill the gaps in my head... The way we probably all did when we only had the OT.

Sarge likes this.
  13. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    The moment Vader saved Luke, I'd been dying to see what happened to that once good Jedi Knight, but I never filled in the blanks in my head. I just became super curious.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  14. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    "The Force awakens the last Jedi. Hold my beer." Hmmm. I guess that could work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. scuiggefest

scuiggefest Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    Since we're excluding Rogue One, I'd have to say Revenge of the Sith. Specifically the last half, when all the Jedi suddenly turn into idiots and get wiped out. Every Jedi character seemed way out of character to me, but at least it connected the prequels to the classics, I guess.

(Call me crazy, but I might have been happier if they'd ignored the classic trilogy entirely and just let the story play out according to the characterizations that were established in TPM and AOTC)

16. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    TFM, rigid acting and JarJar.

17. Darth_Articulate

Nov 1, 2012
    To be fair, the Jedi were kinda dumb in AOTC as well

wobbits likes this.
  18. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    TFA feels quite bland at the moment, so I’ll go with that one.

19. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Jedi Padawan star 2

Feb 28, 2017
    TFA. I really do enjoy it. Rey, Kylo, Finn, great chracters. Plot though? Unoriginal. Planets? Boring. Every other movie has cool settings. But Starkiller base is a new death star. And why was Jakku another desert planet?

20. Darkside Lightside

Darkside Lightside Jedi Youngling

Dec 26, 2017
    TLJ. Leia jumping the shark. BB8 channeling Wesley Crusher. Luke's death by Skype.

21. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    The Force Awakens

While I have grown to appreciate it more since its release, I still feel very little is truly going on. Starkiller Base still feels incredibly unnecessary and only pull focus away from finding Luke. The New Republic is destroyed as soon as it's first presented. TFA just lacks the emotion, weight, and tension that is needed for the experience of watching a Star Wars movie feel worthwhile.

22. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    AOTC by a hair -- it's just too much of a mess. However I enjoy the Obi-Wan plot by itself more than anything in ROTS, which I just find to be a slog and probably enjoy watching less. ROTS is far better in terms of coherence and construction and nothing in it is as bad as the lows in AOTC.

When it comes time to watch the whole saga in sequence I always feel like I'm going to enjoy these two movies more than previously because I know what to expect... that never quite works. TPM has a goofy fun energy and then I hit this brick wall where all the joy gets sucked out of it for two films. I have yet to do the marathon with R1 between ROTS and ANH and I think that might help... it makes for three grim films of improving craft before we get to the fun stuff again. (Oh, wait, slotting Solo in there is going to mess this up... I better do this marathon soon!)

23. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    The Phantom Menace. The Gungans were awful, and the big racing scene made the film into a video game.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  24. Eternal_Jedi

Eternal_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 12, 2001
    The Phantom Menace is easily my least favorite. I still like the film, don't get me wrong.

The surface-level plot (invasion of Naboo) is kind of boring.

The pod race is too long, especially with the footage re-inserted for the DVD release.

A few of the alien designs just feel too cartoony (Ben Quadrinaros, Fode & Beed, etc). They just look "off" compared to most of the aliens.

Jar-Jar is overdone. I don't hate the character, but he's very distracting in a number of scenes. He simply gets more screen time than his role warrants.

The ground battle between the gungans and droid army lacks any tension whatsoever. It's just a bunch of obviously CG characters that I don't really care about fighting each other.

There are a number of great moments in the film; however, the weaknesses really drag the film down for me. I definitely re-watch this one the least often. Or I would if my kids didn't really like it (my daughters are 5 and 7 and their favourites are currently: TLJ, TFA, TPM).

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  25. SW Saga Fan

SW Saga Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 19, 2015
    For some time it was AOTC, then TPM recently... But after TLJ was released, it has become my least favorite movie in the entire saga. I do not hate TLJ, but I do not like it either... But I certainly have bigger issues with this movie than I had in the past with AOTC and TPM...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.