main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Saga Least favorite film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 14, 2017.

?

What is your least favorite film of the Saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

26 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Attack of the Clones

31 vote(s)
    22.8%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. A New Hope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

5 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Return of the Jedi

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  7. The Force Awakens

28 vote(s)
    20.6%
  8. The Last Jedi

40 vote(s)
    29.4%
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2009
    My least favorite film of the Skywalker saga remains TPM, largely because it doesn't have a central protagonist. Padme comes the closest with a pretty good arc, but she's mostly sidelined on Tatooine, and her development there is a little too subtle.

2. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Master

Mar 13, 2002
    I have a tough time deciding which one I like least. It's either The Force Awakens of or The Last Jedi. I don't hate either of them, but I don't hold them in high regard either. I think TFA is weak on story and did not really add anything to the saga and shows very little creativity (both in plot and design). I appreciate that TLJ tried to do something. I believe that it failed, but I like that it showed some guts in trying. So, maybe I can say that TLJ is a better movie, but I like it less?
    Funnily enough, TLJ makes TFA worse by not adhering to what TFA set up. TFA was small on story. What it did give was pieces for the next installment to tell the story, and TLJ threw those pieces away without care. So, lightsaber to my throat and I'm forced to choose which one I like least...at this moment, I pick TLJ.

Deliveranze likes this.
  3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer Force Ghost star 6

Mar 26, 2013
    George has specifically stated Padme is the main character of TPM.

Dagobahsystem likes this.
  4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2009
    Yep, I agree. But her development on Tatooine is mostly submerged as the film primarily focuses on Qui-Gon and Anakin. She's got some good moments of vocal disagreement with Qui-Gon, which plays into her eventual arc of defying Palpatine and returning to Naboo, but it all takes a backseat to introducing Anakin.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    George has specifically stated that Padmé is the central character in TPM. That's not the same thing as being the protagonist.
    She is central because the film centers on the plight of Queen Amidala and her planet. As far as lead characters go, though, she is part of an ensemble. TPM is very much an ensemble piece, though Qui-Gon stands out a bit as the one who takes charge. He leads the mission and drives the plot forward for most of the film. The third act is where Padmé takes the driver's seat.

Alexrd likes this.