main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 14, 2017.

?

What is your least favorite film of the Saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

47 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

66 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Return of the Jedi

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. The Force Awakens

61 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. The Last Jedi

105 vote(s)
    34.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    My least favorite film of the Skywalker saga remains TPM, largely because it doesn't have a central protagonist. Padme comes the closest with a pretty good arc, but she's mostly sidelined on Tatooine, and her development there is a little too subtle.

Hypatia and Tython Awakening like this.
  2. CaptainEO

CaptainEO Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 13, 2002
    I have a tough time deciding which one I like least. It's either The Force Awakens of or The Last Jedi. I don't hate either of them, but I don't hold them in high regard either. I think TFA is weak on story and did not really add anything to the saga and shows very little creativity (both in plot and design). I appreciate that TLJ tried to do something. I believe that it failed, but I like that it showed some guts in trying. So, maybe I can say that TLJ is a better movie, but I like it less?
    Funnily enough, TLJ makes TFA worse by not adhering to what TFA set up. TFA was small on story. What it did give was pieces for the next installment to tell the story, and TLJ threw those pieces away without care. So, lightsaber to my throat and I'm forced to choose which one I like least...at this moment, I pick TLJ.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    George has specifically stated Padme is the main character of TPM.

4. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    Yep, I agree. But her development on Tatooine is mostly submerged as the film primarily focuses on Qui-Gon and Anakin. She's got some good moments of vocal disagreement with Qui-Gon, which plays into her eventual arc of defying Palpatine and returning to Naboo, but it all takes a backseat to introducing Anakin.

5. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    George has specifically stated that Padmé is the central character in TPM. That's not the same thing as being the protagonist.
    She is central because the film centers on the plight of Queen Amidala and her planet. As far as lead characters go, though, she is part of an ensemble. TPM is very much an ensemble piece, though Qui-Gon stands out a bit as the one who takes charge. He leads the mission and drives the plot forward for most of the film. The third act is where Padmé takes the driver's seat.

6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Ever considered the fact that "bright sunlight" on Geonosis is intentionally NOT meant to be that bright, with shadows being a little hazy? Could it possibly be that Geonosis is meant to have a different kind of atmosphere and weather conditions than Earth or other planets? I have personally been to actual places that in certain weather have almost exactly that same reddish hazy kind of look. Ever seen pictures of Mars? Possible Lucas was going for that type of look. I'm glad they included such a place instead of all the "real" locations on Earth. Those get old when used too much. Looking at TFA here! How much more boring can it get when we get all the same generic places all over again like the desert planet and the forest planet, just with different names? Oh wait, I forgot in TFA there is a "snow planet" as well. How original! The same thing can be said about ROTJ. The only locations it has is Tatooine again and some forest that could be anywhere on Earth. The movie itself is not bad but the locations leave a LOT to be desired. I mean Jedi, not TFA. That one is beyond hope. [face_rofl]
    As for all the other AOTC-bashing "arguments", no comment. It's all been said millions of times already. OK, so you don't like it, fine.
    Oh yes, my least favorite one, TFA by far. It's never once even trying to be original, and that in my opinion is a far worse crime than less-than-perfect CGI or imagined miscast actors. Oh yes, I HAVE watched R1 in the meantime, and found it the much better movie. Will have to rewatch it however in order to correctly judge it.
    What puts AOTC LIGHT YEARS above TFA is that it really was meant and made to be very different from any other SW episode. Nothing feels like it's just repetition. It seems to me the very fact of it being different and daring is what offends many of the more conservative fans.:rolleyes:

7. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    I'm probably in the minority but I really liked the detective story approach of AotC and we got unforgettable action scenes (excerpts only) like this

[​IMG]
    and this
    [​IMG]

Asteroid field? Been there before, but not like this... :D

8. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Agreed! That must be one of the fastest and most aggressive space chase scenes in the whole saga. Slave I is REALLY attacking here, and quite relentlessly. Even the Imperials are rarely seen so aggressive :D

9. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    TPM, Sadly, it has to be Jar Jar. I KNOW its been said time and time again, I just hate that character.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Tython Awakening likes this.
  10. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I'm not the biggest AOTC fan there is, but the Kenobi stuff is my favorite parts of the movie.

11. Tython Awakening

Tython Awakening Force Ghost star 4

Oct 12, 2017
    The Phantom Menace is the film that let me down the most. I remember clearly being in the movie theater parking lot and thinking about how the elements I didn't like overwhelmed the film. It was indeed surprising that the film met the standards of Lucasfilm. I thought the Special Editions of the 90s were a mistake as well. George should have had the instincts to step back and take things back to basics. He was so over-confident during that era (prior to the filming of Attack of the Clones).

AOTC was a far superior film and was my favorite of the Prequel Trilogy era.

12. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    I didn't see the movie until a few years after and I didn't find it to be that disappointing personally. Maybe the most journeyman movie of the prequels, but in some ways I think it's the least flawed of the prequels (bear in mind that I'm not bothered by Jar Jar Binks and think that the medi-chlorians were a good thing, so I'm kinda weird and have different hangups than what others seem to do).

I'm one of those oddballs who likes the Special Editions (well, the Special Editions 2.0 that wound up on the DVD and BluRays); While the did makes some unneeded changes, I did like that they fixed film errors (increasing the realism) and improved continuity between the those movies and the prequels. I do like marathoning them in chrnological order, so having them fit together really improves the experience for me.

My personal favorite prequel is ROTS. While, as noted above, I do think it has flaws (it's a little long, for one), I think that the emotional impact of it is what really makes it stand out to me. IMHO, I found seeing Vader's genesis unfold onscreen did the idea justice and I think that the movie is big (as in epic scope) the way the others are not. Also, whatever you may say about George Lucas's other skills as a director, I think that he's the master of visual storytelling with the sets, designs, camera, etc., and I think that ROTS showcases that the best of all his movies.

Mileage may vary, as always.

13. KnightOfRen66

KnightOfRen66 Jedi Youngling

Apr 11, 2017
    Attack of the clones for sure.
    It has incredibly corny dialogue for one. It makes it seem like anakin is jealous of and hates obi won. so much for "ani was a good friend". The movie has so much green screen and CGI in it. That is the biggest thing that bothers me. why couldn't they use practical effects? Yea you are more limited in what you can do, but nothing better than when you know that a creature/prop/whatever is actually right there in front of the camera instead of inserted after the scene is shot.
    Plus it still had the stupid flashy flips for days fights that are so incredibly unrealistic that it hurts. yes it is sci-fi and is not supposed to be realistic but its just stupid to flip around every where and do uneccesary movements during a fight. I wish they had made the fights more like the ones in ESB and ROTJ

TripleZero and Sarge like this.
  14. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    A New Hope. Very dated and kind of a snooze fest compared to the rest of the saga.

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  15. WebLurker

Mar 12, 2016
    That one is actually my most favorite of all, but to each their own.

16. Ubraniff Zalkaz

Ubraniff Zalkaz Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2014
    My least favorite is ROTS. I really do love all 9 SW films, but ROTS is too sad for me. It's suppose to be and that's the point, but that makes it my least favorite SW film. The music is amazing, though.

RayO1 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  17. SomeLoser

SomeLoser Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 11, 2018
    Least favorite is RO, not because I hate it really, I just made the mistake of seeing it three different times in a single weekend and never really had the desire to watch it again after.

18. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    TPM One word, Jar-Jar

19. Draninus

Draninus Jedi Knight

Oct 21, 2014
    TLJ by a mile.

My reasoning is nothing that hasn't already been stated in this thread (and elsewhere on the web). Primarily though, the treatment of the OT3 has essentially made the previous two trilogies feel like a waste of time IMO. TFA contributed as well, of course, but TLJ really put the final nail in the coffin.

20. Bosozoku27

Bosozoku27 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 10, 2017
    Attack of the Clones is my least favorite. It didn't impact me as much as the others (wanting to see it in the theater a second time), and it felt like a connecting line between TPM and ROTS but not much more. But, it was the seed/foundation for Clone Wars, so there is good in that at least.

21. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    At this point I haven’t decided between The Force Awakens or The Last Jedi. I basically like both of them now (it took some time), but I still don’t place them on the level of the first six. I’ve been saying The Force Awakens is my least favorite, but it sort of depends on my mood, which is true of the first six as well anyway.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  22. ChillCaladbolg

ChillCaladbolg Jedi Youngling

Dec 31, 2017
    I originally voted TFA but I’m feeling it’s Rogue One these days cause it just has the least of what I like about Star Wars. It’s a great movie, but it’s less a Star Wars movie and more a war movie in Star Wars.

23. Prime Jedi

Prime Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Apr 14, 2018
    Easily the Last Jedi. With how much build up from TFA that they threw out the window, sometimes it almost feels like they were trying to disappoint. :rolleyes:

I love every other Star Wars movie.

Emperor Ferus, Dandelo, MS1 and 2 others like this.
  24. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Not only is TLJ my least favorite, it also killed my interest in anymore Disney Star Wars films. Both second entries in the OT and PT set up their conclusions nicely but this movie feels like an end point so how will Episode IX work? Having elements like exploring the New Republic's political structure, a reformed Jedi Order led by Luke Skywalker, a new manifestation of the force, and even how the Rebel victory at Endor affected the galaxy would've been great to see on the screen but when you throw out world building for cheap nostalgic nods, you know you're doing something wrong.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    MS1 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  25. Plan741

Plan741 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 22, 2015
    Look, I think they've put some cool stuff on screen and cooked up some cool characters for the ST, but in terms of story that advances an overall journey of characters through an epic set of events to a climax? This trilogy is supremely lacking. TFA and TLJ have the look. They've got the feel. They've got absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the saga. 9 can't possibly explain what this was all for. It seems to have been an exercise in playing with x wings and Tie fighters again. When the lights come back on at the end of 9 I really don't believe I will walk away satisfied that I saw the conclusion of the Skywalker saga, something that has preoccupied my daydreams for over 40 years now. Therefore, the ST are my least favorite movies of the saga because they missed the chance to take my breath away like the rest of the saga did.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.