main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least favorite film of the Saga and Why?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Bazinga'd , Dec 14, 2017.

?

What is your least favorite film of the Saga?

1. The Phantom Menace

47 vote(s)
    15.6%
  2. Attack of the Clones

66 vote(s)
    21.9%
  3. Revenge of the Sith

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  4. A New Hope

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  5. The Empire Strikes Back

7 vote(s)
    2.3%
  6. Return of the Jedi

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  7. The Force Awakens

61 vote(s)
    20.3%
  8. The Last Jedi

105 vote(s)
    34.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    I think this is exactly the reason there is so much ambivalence about the ST. Great visuals and stand-alone story, but does nothing for the overall saga.

Solo88, MS1 and Darkslayer like this.
  2. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I voted for The Force Awakens. Frankly, I've been strongly against the very idea of an Episode 7 since 1983 given that ROTJ was the perfect fairy tale ending. And any itch I felt to revisit the main characters of the OT past that point had already been scratched (and scraped beyond bloody raw) by 25 years of EU. And amazingly, what Disney put out was even more recycled than what the EU did.

I get what people are reacting to in The Last Jedi (I didn't even see it until recently - I wasn't going to bother at all to be honest but the huge backlash actually piqued my interest so I finally did, though with the understanding that I wasn't seeing a film so much as I was rubbernecking on a widely publicized road wreck.) Well it isn't a good film at all but I can't get bothered about it - if it treats TFA as a cosmic prank, it largely mirrors how I feel about TFA so in a weird sense, I'm on its wavelength.

Having said that, I can say that Disney has cured me of a lifelong habit of franchise completism. I'll just focus on the parts of the franchise that I still like and ignore the rest. It helps that I've never bought into the idea of a "big cohesive continuity" that Disney likes to push so much (and that they don't seem to be achieving anyway.) I like to think of Star Wars as a mythological canvas in which lots of storytellers can tell tales - as long I'm enjoying the stories told by my favored storytellers, I don't care if some other product that I won't even buy references it or contradicts it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  3. Dagobahsystem

Dagobahsystem Chosen One star 10

Sep 25, 2015
    The Force Awakens for sure. Very unoriginal story. Negative portrayal of the big three from the OT. Too many meta MCU type jokes. Lack of creativity.

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Let me ask this straight out, If the ST worshiped the big three (or least had a better treatment of them) would people have less of a problem with the TFA and TLJ?

5. TheCloneWarsForever

TheCloneWarsForever Force Ghost star 7

Apr 24, 2018
    I'd have a less of a problem if it honored the victory of the Rebellion (not just the OT heroes specifically but the contributions of all the heroes in SW:Rebels and other SW media as well.) Resetting everything back to the same Empire vs. Rebellion conflict is my big problem. I'm now left hoping the next animated series takes my favorite characters and sends them off to build their own lives and destinies in the UR or another galaxy or anyplace away from the New Republic clown car.

6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    If the OT3 were handled better, I'd be a bit more receptive. Not much though. The copy/paste of the OT, throwing out George's ideas, the handling of Snoke, and Rey not being a you-know-what would still kinda ruin it for me though.

7. Darth Voorhees

Darth Voorhees Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 7, 2017
    TPM Jar-Jar.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I definitely would have less of a problem with TLJ, given that I feel that the OT3, along with Rey and Finn (who were the best new characters of TFA), were thrown under the bus for the purpose of making Kylo Ren look better/more sympathetic. It was blatantly obvious that Kylo Ren was the only character that Johnson was interested in.

Solo88, AhsokaSolo, MS1 and 3 others like this.
  9. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    Interesting perspective. I frankly found that TLJ reaffirmed that Kylo was the monster we were lead to believe that he was in TFA, just that we now understood why he was that monster. I was also most engaged in the hero characters more so than Kylo (e.g. Rey, Finn, Rose, Poe, etc.). As always, mileage may vary.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    Straight answer: Yes

11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Unlikely.

lookameatbag likes this.
  12. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Worshipped no but I would have preferred they were not used at all after what the current ST has chosen to do.

If they played an important role that complimented the new generation story it would have probably been ok. Destroying our memory of them has absolutely disgusted me in the Disney effort along with the total lack of commitment to deliver a well thought out and planned 3 movie story.

As it has been done I would have prefered if it was set 200 years in the future and relics of Luke Skywalker were found that started Rey on a new journey to revive the Jedi. The OT should not have been used at all to draw in the nostalgia crowd and Disney should have had the courage to take a risk on their own merits.

13. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    No tbh. TFA did enough OT pedestal-riding for it to be almost unwatchable to me. I do think Luke deserved to have an opportunity to actually use his lightsaber in a duel, and so forth, but nah, the OT 3's treatment isn't the biggest issue for me.

For me, I would've loved to see the New Jedi Order, Luke in his most powerful state, the New Republic, and worlds that were gonna push the envelope like the PT did.

We saw underdogs rise in the OT and how those in control lose it in the PT, so I would've loved to see how the New Republic would be the idealistic government of the galaxy. Something the Old Republic couldn't be. With new challenges, new threats, and the dillema of being the successor government of the Empire and how to deal with the distrust people have thanks to the Old Republic/Empire.

None of the action in the ST is memorable. It's not bad by any means, but I don't think the Battle of Takodana and Starkiller Base are gonna be as remembered in SW lore as the Battle of Geonosis or the Death Star run.

It's hard to get invested for me. Especially since they are constantly shifting merchandise for the films every year too.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    My least favorite is the fantastic Attack of the Clones. The one I dislike the most is TLJ, even though TFA is the one who deserves the vote since TLJ is but a consequence of it.

15. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I Kind of feel this way as well. I always imagined seeing Luke again, finally, as an all-powerful jedi master who would be the epitomy of awesomeness...and instead we got exactly the opposite of that. The definition of disappointment (for me at least). I suppose I didn't mind the role Leia played, but IMO given how the OT3 were handled, I would rather they had simply started fresh with the story, like you mentioned-something much later in the timeline-referring to the Skywalker line as some sort of historically influential period for the galaxy. At any rate, that may just be what we get with one of these new trilogies!

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    MS1 likes this.
  16. Darkside Floyd

Darkside Floyd Jedi Master star 2

Sep 3, 2008
    TFA gets my vote.

Mostly because it's a rehash of previous character arcs, story beats, locales, etc. I get the notion that the Mouse may want to introduce a new generation to the franchise but this was a huge opportunity to take the franchise in new and different directions from the previous Trilogies. Possibly even an expansion upon it.

Instead, they merely focused on dressing up classic notions and situations with new characters. It was a wasted chance.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  17. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Now that I've properly digested TLJ, it's replaced TFA as my least favorite. TFA, while derivative, did set things up in a way that allowed for really spectacular and fresh ideas. I was truly eager to see what would happen next. Sadly, while the sky was the limit, RJ couldn't, or wouldn't, see beyond the treetops.
    Thus, the trilogy seems stuck in the realm of unfulfilled potential.

RayO1 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    AOTC forever and always. Bad script, nonsensical storyline (try explaining the actual plot to someone, I'll wait right here), atrocious acting, VFX haven't aged very well, etc.

Sarge likes this.
  19. Dellow Felegate

Dellow Felegate Jedi Youngling

May 20, 2018
    TFA. It's a well made movie, but it's just so unoriginal.

20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    After a second viewing my vote now goes to TLJ. Hamill was pretty much the only positive, and beyond that I find the film to be a goofy, cartoonish mess.

21. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I can’t even describe how much I hated TLJ. Its like someone who wanted to destroy SW was given free rein to do as much harm as possible. I say that with complete comfort in my belief as a life long SW fan. I hope the franchise recovers from TLJ. I hope it will appeal to me again after TLJ. I don’t understand how the people at Lucasfilm and I are at such polar opposites to what we think SW is and means.

22. WebLurker

WebLurker Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2016
    I suspect that, since it means something different to all of us, that we're all on the spectrum of opposites, just some of us overlap more than others.

Outsourced and MS1 like this.
  23. MS1

MS1 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    I have wondered that myself so many times these last five months. For 40 years I have loved all SW and felt a part of a movement of like minded people who felt that way. Having the reaction I have had to TLJ is jarring to say the least as is suddenly being on a side of fandom which I haven’t know. I had great hope in RJ and was really looking forward and excited for TLJ. I have enjoyed the other Disney SW movies. There is also a massive gap between SW movies that I enjoy less and TLJ. All the others I can watch and enjoy. Anyway it is what it is. Clearly I need to see SW as just a movie and forget the positive associations I had with it.

But I think your right and I was wrong. I thought we were all on a pretty similar plain and when something was jarring the response would be more consistent than it has been. In reality everyone does take something different from SW.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  24. Dragon Jedi

Dragon Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2018
    I understand what you mean.
    Friends of mine went to see TFA the day it came out and told me right away that Han was going to be killed by his son (his and Leia's). My reaction was: I refuse to go to the cinema.
    I waited until Dec, 2107 until the theatre in my town showed the two together, TFA and TLJ after midnight. And decided it was time to go.
    And I loved them both.
    What striked me from the beginnig was how much the script had improved since the PT. My least favorite is AOTC almost at the same level with ROTS, because the script was so embarrassing and the characters, full of potential, so poorly developed. The story was an announced tragedy we all knew was going to happen. I didn't mind the actors, actually. Natalie Portman is not a bad acress, really, but not even Maryl Streep could have performed brilliantly with that script.
    To me, the best of the lot was Ewan McGregor but he struggled with his lines once too often.
    And here we come: Obi-Wan Kenobi.
    Another fallen master, another victim of hybris.
    Curiously how his fate and Luke's (ST Luke) are so similar (failure-shame-exile-almost same death). And yet Luke's "fall" hurts more.
    We simply do not care for Obi Wan the way we care for Luke?
    I wonder.

Sarge and MS1 like this.
  25. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Obi-Wan never fell. No matter the "Jedi are bad/wrong" narrative they are currently trying to shove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.