main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Least Favorite Special Addition Changes?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Garrett Atkins, May 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Since we have one for our favorites, what is your least favorite(s). My least favorite is Darth Vader 's no in ROTJ, completely ruins the movie and the reason I didn't purchase the blu-ray. I also hated the Jabba scene in ANH, completely ruins the surprise of seeing him for the first time in ROTJ.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    The only change that bugs me is the hangar scene in Episode II. I still don't understand what the point was in re-editing everything the moment Dooku is escaping. It makes it look like A) Dooku is really slow at getting his ship going and B) Yoda is just giving up and saying, "Go ahead, get outta here."

Thoix Heoro likes this.
  3. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm going with this too. Plus, it makes the music in the scene sound chopped up and edited poorly.

4. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This is a very unpopular opinion but I like the change from Lapti Nek to Jedi Rocks. Jedi Rocks in my eyes is a much more better song than Lapti Nek and I really like the CGI Sy Snootles compared to that dreadful puppet.

JoshieHewls likes this.
  5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think Nooooooooooooooo! takes the cake. That and altering the Han/Greedo scene.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    But... you see Jabba in TPM. There is no "surprise" to meeting him again in ANH or ROTJ.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The Jabba scene is pretty terrible, completely redundant and unnecessary given the Greedo scene. Not as bad as Nooooooooooooooooo!, but a long way from good.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Original ANH SE change: I don't like the Ronto crossing the whole screen.
    Original ROTJ SE change: Lapti Nek was terrible, but Jedi Rocks is slightly worse. At least the CGI alien is better than the awful puppet! And they added that hot blue twi-lek girl. Don't actually like any of the Jabba's palace scenes.

Blu-ray change: making Greedo & Solo shoot at the exact same time. Greedo shot first! (see my signature)

Other than that: ALL EXCELLENT!

9. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`\.

10. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    I wouldn't say it's redundant. Sure, Jabba tells Han some of the same information, but we also learn that Jabba is giving Han another chance...for an extra 15%.

11. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    No need for a facepalm; I'm not lying to you. During the podrace scene, Jabba has a couple minutes of screen time when he announces the race.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darth Dnej like this.
  12. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    My dislikes:

Luke's wimpy scream as he leaps and falls down the shaft in ESB.

The longer musical sequence on Jabba's palace

Changeling Vader's knowledge of Luke from the original exchange in ESB to no knowledge in the special edition. Stupid.

Having Greedo shoot first. I thought that was stupid. The original showed that Han was smart & a step ahead in the game. Sometimes.

13. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Any fan-edit version....I know they're not 'special edition' changes but they're the ones I dislike the most.

They're just not SWs in my opinion.

14. JoshieHewls

May 16, 2013
    The scream was removed in the 2004 DVD set.

As far as Vader's knowledge, that hasn't changed. He's trying to play to the Emperor that he doesn't know who Luke Skywalker is. That's why Palpatine says, "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true." It's his sneaky way of saying, "Don't BS a BSer."

Not to mention the opening crawl still states that Vader is searching for Skywalker, and when the probe droid finds the Hoth base, Vader says, "I'm sure Skywalker is with them."

15. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The ROTJ "Nooo!" is definetly the dumbest thing ever added to anything.
    I almost think it was added on purpose, just to piss people off.

16. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    Star Wars:
    • Greedo Shoots First
    • Jabba the Hutt
    • Obi-Wan Krayt Scream (Blu-ray)
    • Added Rocks in front of R2-D2
    The Empire Strikes Back:
    • Ian McDiarmid as the Emperor and changed dialogue in this scene
    • Luke's Scream (1997 only)
    • Boba Fett voiced by Temuera Morrison
    Return of the Jedi:
    • Jedi Rocks
    • Ewoks Blinking
    • "No. Noooooooo!"
    • The Galactic Celebration Scene
    • Hayden Christensen as Anakin's Ghost

17. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Adding dialouge where it wasn't there to begin with was a problem. Luke's scream after jumping from his platform on Bespin was... pretty bad. Mark Hamill clearly wasn't screaming (it changes the tone of the scene), and much worse, the scream is a stock sound effect, originally from the Emperor falling in Return of the Jedi. Kinda glad they changed it.

Next was Vader's "nooo." Not as bad, since it was the original voice actor, and somewhat matches what we see onscreen, but it simply wasn't needed, as the originals had all been fine without it.

Boba Fett being re-dubbed wasn't a terrible idea, but the execution was less than perfect. Temuera Morrison is a great voice actor in his own right, but here it just sounds like he's doing a bad Jason Wingreen impression during the re-dubs. Why not just keep Jason?
    I just like Lapti Nek as a song better. Sorry.

Also, various scenes were trimmed for no reasonn. In a New Hope, more graphic shots of Imperials being shot are cut, and in the Phantom Menace, a shot from Watto's box is also cut.

Aside from the obscuring Ronto and other things that distract from the original focus, I'm fine with the rest (most actually enhance the film).

Darth Dnej likes this.
  18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    What? Vader was aware of Luke from the beginning of the movie, he was just pretending that he had no knowledge

JoshieHewls and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  19. Seagoat

Jan 25, 2013
    I remember another user and I discussing this, and his line "How is that possible?" is not really him trying to trick Palpatine, per se, rather, he just can't emotionally accept that Luke is truly his son. He's lived for the past 2 decades believing that he murdered his wife and unborn children. Logically, all facts point to Luke being his son, but it just does not compute for Vader. Makes the whole thing feel more tragic, really.

20. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Gods I forgot about that one. That is the most poorly executed change there is. I mean, it sounds completely out of place.
    Fortunately, I have the fan restored original editions without any changes so I actually quite forgot about most of these ludicrous things.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  21. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I'm 99% sure that Temuera actually recorded the lines over the phone from here in Auckland.

22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, that's what I heard as well and to be perfectly honest that's exactly the way it sounds.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  23. Aaronaman

Mar 12, 2013
    I actually asked if he still had the phone and if he would sell it to me when he signed my helmet and figures....now thats a real borderline Boba Fett collectible hahaha

The Hellhammer likes this.
  24. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    my least favorite is Vader's shuttle flying up to Executor and then him walking off of it in Empire. totally unneeded and it actually breaks the action.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  25. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I love the thematic implications of having ghost Hayden be there at the end of ROTJ, BUT DEAR GOD it always irritates me how they just lazily took stock footage of him staring at the camera and stuck it in there. When Shaw was there, we saw him smile at Obi-Wan, stand appropriately close to Yoda. Hayden looks oddly farther apart from the other two, and he looks disconnected.

It's one of those changes that fails precisely because all it does is remind me that there was a change.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.