Leaving the boards

Discussion in 'Communications' started by magnaguard, May 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. magnaguard Jedi Youngling

Is there any method possible for a user to voluntarily and permanently leave the boards by requesting that his/her account be deleted or requesting to be permanently banned?

Locking as this issue has been resolved.
  2. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    You can request to be banned but it's not likely to be granted as there is no real reason to do so when you could just not sign in again.
  3. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    We can't delete accounts. We can ban you if you would like (and of course, if you submitted an unban request, you would be unbanned). Just not logging in is always an option too.
  4. magnaguard Jedi Youngling

*********!! No, no, I NEEDED my account DELETED!!! You see, I am graduating from college with a degree in political science, and earlier this morning I received word that I was selected for the second part of an interview for an internship in the U.S. government. I will not discuss which particular branch, but I was told that a thorough background check would be issued on my identity, and because this is the U.S. government we are talking about here, they will check EVERYTHING, including every aspect of past Internet activity in order to assess behavior of potential employees.

But, like a dumbass, I used the same email address that I used for the internship application for registering on this message board. And not this particular one, but multiple sci-fi and RPG boards, erroneously assuming that my accounts could be deleted voluntarily, thereby deleting the IP address itself and allowing me to rejoin the boards in the future under another email address. Permamently banning my user name will not be adequate enough, as the IP address will still be locked to the site, which my potential government employer will most certainly acquire. I am afraid that if they see my activity on this and other boards, then they might assume that I am not a serious individual or could be biased towards me for some other reason and thereby not a good candidate.

Language..
  5. magnaguard Jedi Youngling

And to make things clear, I am not calling YOU a ****, NYCitygurl. I was just frustrated over the information.

Language.
  6. firesaber Jedi Master

star 3
    As someone with a clearance, though not a mod:

Regardless if they delete your account or ban you your posting history will still be available through a simple internet search so they are going to find it anyway. If there is something that you've said that you are concerned about simply be the first to declare it and be up front assuming of course is not something so off the wall that such agency wouldnt hire you.
  7. Souderwan Force Ghost

star 6
    Dude, what're you worried about? That they'll figure out you're a nerd? They know that already.
  8. Im_just_guessing Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    Since I too once looked into applying for a job at a "particular branch" of the U.S. government, I should warn you that discussing the fact that you've applied for a job at that "particular branch" automatically disqualifies you for a position. It says it right on their website.
  9. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Why don't you just change the email address associated with your account here? Create a gmail or similar free account and then click on 'Options' above and then 'Change Your User Details'.

Most other boards should allow you to make a similar email address change.
  10. World_Cup_Wally Jedi Master

star 4
    Go into the Senate and start posting a ton of pro-US govt stuff.
  11. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    Deleting your account, even were it possible, wouldn't stop them from finding it if they wanted.
  12. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    You might also notice that email addresses aren't public by default here so it's not like it'll show up in Google anyway..

edit: also, IP address is not the same as email address.
  13. FlareStorm Force Ghost

star 6
    I would also like my account deleted.
  14. Dingo Force Ghost

star 5
    a) If two posts on a message board (before the creation of this thread) was enough to disqualify someone from getting a job then everyone here would be unemployed.

b) If a person was in line for a "particular type of position" and they didn't have much of a clue as to the way in which their internet history could be checked, verified or of the fact that there are very few ways to permanently remove said history then they are likely to not be suitable for said job.

c) Why am I bothering to make a serious post to this?
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.