main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Led Zeppelin and LOTR

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Jan 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralPelleaon

GrandAdmiralPelleaon Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2000
    The back of the Led Zeppelin Album, second one.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/2406/index.html

The figure in the above picture,"The Hermit," is a card from the Rider-Wait Tarot Deck(thanks Zerxes). I believe that the band may have seen similarities between the card and Gandalf from the Tolkien trilogy.

duh! yerself

(I think you're getting confused between Tarot & Trading Cards, - and taking the speculation that Led Zep thought "The Hermit" was Gandalf - as fact.)

3. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Look for "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" by Leonard Nimoy. It's got a friggin' bassoon solo.

4. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Could "Rings of smoke through the trees" in Stairway refer to Gandalf?

5. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Lord of the Rings should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Led Zeppelin. It tarnishes Zeppelin's reputation.

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    It tarnishes Zeppelin's reputation.

And yet the band were obviously heavily influenced by the book. Hell, Plant's dog was called "Strider".

Go figure.

7. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
    "Gollum and a girl? Fair girls in Moria"
    Some people have suggested that the "girl" might be referring to the One Ring...either that or it's just a personal touch...who knows.

"Yup, BTW there's a backside of Led Zeppelin IV wich features a figure from a trading card, it's actually gandalf looking down on bag end.

Yup, Gandalf's picture is one the back of Led Zeppelin IV."

Actually according to Jimmy Page that picture is The Hermit from a deck of Tarrot Cards not Gandalf.

As to "Rings of Smoke Through the trees" referring to Gandalf....Robert Plant has repeatedly denied any LotR allusions in Stairway to Heaven

"Lord of the Rings should not be mentioned in the same sentence as Led Zeppelin. It tarnishes Zeppelin's reputation."

But it's a fact that LotR influenced Led Zeppelin. Jimmy Page was being intervied on my radio station one day and someone asked what songs had LotR references...he responded that there were numerous but Ramble On was the most obvious/well known.

I also heard somewhere that LotR inspired Plant to move to the country...dunno about the vailidity of that though.

8. Phantom_Catfish

Phantom_Catfish Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2001
    I have all of Led Zeppelin's recordings. They are by far my fav!

9. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
  10. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    Yeah, Zeppelin has quite a few homages to LOTR in their songs, Battle of Evermore probably the most obvious.

11. Short Round McFly

Short Round McFly Jedi Youngling star 6

Nov 13, 1999
    I could've swore I saw a "Stairway to Heaven" T-Shirt that looked similar to artwork I've seen for the Mines of Moria.

By the way, when I was watching FotR I keep anticipating a little Zeppelin melody going for some of those scenes ;) It would've been cool! :D

Also, Jimmy Page's birthday was 3 days ago! YAY!

12. Cailina

Mar 18, 1999
    Someone ought to make t-shirts with LotR pics on the front and corresponding Zep lyrics on the back.

Someone also ought to make babydoll shirts for good bands like Led Zep, Iron Maiden etc...not that I'm bitter or anthing...

Silmarillion suggested I make my own babydolls....maybe I'll make a LotR/Led Zep one..that'd be cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.