main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leeds meet - Saturday 21st October 2006

Discussion in 'Archive: North' started by timbolton, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    "Knights, Costumes, Action!" - Leeds Royal Armouries meet

Reposted from here
    How about Leeds Royal Armouries for a spot of professional cosplay?

http://www.royalarmouries.org/leeds/

It's a great venue, tons of great costumes, armour and weapons. It's also free entry! What makes the Leeds RA special, is their "Interpretations" - which is basically researched and professional cosplay, with armour and weapon demonstrations.

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=105

For example, they have the following "Interpretations" for the Tournament Gallery -
    MASTERING ARMS: HAND-AND-A-HALF SWORD, MASTERING ARMS:15TH CENTURY POLLAXE COMBAT, SWORD IN THE STONE, 15TH CENTURY- POLLAXE COMBAT, 15TH CENTURY POLLAXE COMBAT,
    STORYTELLING: TIRANT LO BLANC, STORYTELLING: TOURNAMENT OF LA ROCHE, TWO-HANDED SWORD COMBAT, MASTERING ARMS: TWO-HANDED SWORD and ULRICH VON LIECHTENSTEIN -

http://www.royalarmouries.org/extsite/view.jsp?sectionId=1265

They aren't all shown on any one day, there will be several maybe, and some have limited places. But we get to see the pros at work

And after the armouries, maybe some other activity in Leeds city center (hears Jase say shopping )? What do you think? Leeds is two hours away on the train for me, so no problem getting there, and I have been once to the Leeds RA and loved what time I got there (was a group trip for my Museums and Art Galleries PG Diploma degree, we got to meet man behind the Leeds RA, which was quite cool).

Other Leeds stuff - http://www.leeds.gov.uk/visiting/places%20to%20visit%20in%20and%20around%20leeds/Museums%20and%20galleries/menu.aspx?style=

So ...

Which week in October? Is a Saturday best for people?
    Where else to visit after the Armories?
    Who's up for this meet?

I may stay over and go home Sunday.

Add yourself to the list below :)

Expected to be attending
    1. timbolton

2. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005
    Add yourself to the list below

Expected to be attending
    1. timbolton
    2. spike_thmid (aka true spike :p)

I'm always up for trip to Leeds Armoury :D It may be free entry but they charge an arm and a leg for carparking !!!!!!

3. edgejedi88

edgejedi88 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2005
    Expected to be attending
    1. timbolton
    2. spike_thmid (aka true spike )
    3. edgejedi (aka the Real Slim Shady Jase)

If we car share from the NE then parking should be cheaper.

Have I just offered my services yet again?

4. suzijedi

suzijedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2006

5. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    If I go, I'll definitely be staying Sat nite (go home Sunday), so I am up for a meal somewhere (I'll eat most types of food, but I am vegetarian ;) ). I have a feeling others will do the same.

As for the cosplay, I meant more the people who work for the Armouries than us lol, so we'll all be watching :p I haven't been to Leeds in years, I am looking forward to this one.

6. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    Ooops, I thought you meant you lot were doing the cosplay [face_blush]
    I missed the oriental gallery when I was there last week, so wouldn't mind having a look in there next time.
    I'm a veggie too- have spotted this restaurant, looks quite interesting:

7. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006
    It'd help if the link had copied properly!

http://www.hansasrestaurant.com/

8. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Lol, don't worry about the posting, I have sent Private Messages to myself by mistake in the past, very embarrasing, so I can't say anything :p

And wow! That place looks cool :D Indian is one of my favourite foods, been to India twice as well :D I'd be up for it, though I think our meat eating members may be a little meh. But let's see nearer the time.

9. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    suzijedi - no probs - you are the first one to officallly ask for a lift so you get space.

that means there are 3 spaces left people...or fear the wrath of National Express!!!!

Sounds like a vegetarian takeover - me too!!!!

As for costume - it really has to be done at the Armouries...I will be there as a Jedi for sure...wait till I get to the Japanese section with my lightsaber....yipee!!! I love the Armouries. Last time I went they were doing the falconary and jousting and stuff - awesome day.

Anyone contacted Eddie or Tethys to tell then about this?

10. timbolton

Mar 14, 2003
    Eddie - no, Teyths - yep. You want to contact Eddie?

11. spike_thmid

spike_thmid Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 13, 2005

[VADER] NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! [VADER]

as long as your robes are out of the wash :p

12. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    I will let Eddie know by txt...

13. khabarakh23

khabarakh23 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2005
    Sounds good. I'll be up for it. I'll be getting the train across from manchester

14. Eddie

Eddie Jedi Master star 3

Jan 16, 2001
    Hi guys, Jase has contacted me about the meet. I should be able to attend no problem. I'll keep checking in to find out arrangements.

15. go-away

go-away Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2003
    1. timbolton
    4. Suzijedi (if you can squeeze another one in your car..?) You will have met me by the time of the Leeds meet-up, so I hopefully won't be so much of a stranger!
    5. go-away - count me in, plus maybe the other half ;)

16. jedi_master_booth

jedi_master_booth Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 2005
    1. timbolton
    4. Suzijedi (if you can squeeze another one in your car..?) You will have met me by the time of the Leeds meet-up, so I hopefully won't be so much of a stranger!
    5. go-away - count me in, plus maybe the other half
    6. Jedi_Master_Booth - ( Maybe with partner )

17. Darth_Konikus

Darth_Konikus Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2005
    1. timbolton
    5. go-away - count me in, plus maybe the other half
    6. Jedi_Master_Booth - ( Maybe with partner )
    7. Darth_Konikus and possibly Kiz-Joa_Janall

18. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    Hey DK - how can Kiz not come????? Good opportunity to teach her the proper way to talk in the North mate[face_dancing].

Would be great to see you both again - out of the smoke!

19. suzijedi

Jul 8, 2006

20. Tethys

Tethys Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2005
    Hey guys! Sorry, just recovering from the weekend (Snow Patrol in Leeds Millenium Square hence why I couldn't come to York.

Ideas sound cool so far. I've only ever been to the Royal Armouries once, and that was with work for a summer ball so umm, not really the kind of thing we're looking for. I'd actually love to go though - anyone thought about looking at the forthcoming schedule to see what looks coolest and then tailouring the date of this meet up to suit?

I like indian, but am a meat eater. There are a couple of fantastic curry houses in Leeds centre - Shebab http://www.itchyleeds.co.uk/venues/388.html and Darbar (amazing) are my favourites although the latter is somewhat pricey for a curry http://www.itchyleeds.co.uk/venues/385.html . Both do veggie options I'm sure. Other alternative food places which are nice - Las Iguanas - latino (mexican/brazillian etc) is ace - I had my birthday there and there are fish/veg options http://www.lasiguanas.co.uk/ There is a fantastic chinese (with big circular rotating tables if you are lucky) called Red Chilli (can't find a site) plus there is a tampopo, sushi, and a wagamamas.

Shopping in Leeds is very cool - you've got normal high street shops, posh shops (victoria quarter), geek shops (at least 3 inc a forbidden planet and a CEX) plus the corn exchange which is full of handmade stall stuff, goth shops, joke shop etc etc.

Drinking is also fun. My favourites are the Angel pub (down a little snicket - sam smiths), rocket bar/cockpit (heavy metal - unlikely to be everyone's cuppa), and the aire bar on the calls if its sunny (has a balcony) but there are tonnes and tonnes of others.

I'll be staying in the loop on this one - any ideas what month its likely to be? August/Sep are chocca for me as I have a 2.5 week hol and a wedding in hungary!

Jenny

21. Tethys

Sep 30, 2005
    Ok - the clue is in the title - October! Doh.

Def come as long as its not wend 7/8.

22. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah, a fellow Indian food lover.

Do they serve Phal in these curry houses? We're somewhat lacking in my hometown, where the hottest dish is only Vindaloo :(

23. edgejedi88

May 13, 2005
    think again young lady!!!!

we like our metal over here....

/bangs head

/hair falls off

24. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    OMG, look what you did Tethys, you made him bald :eek:

And he had such a lovely head of hair before as well :_|

:p

Count me in for Cockpit if I come along. I lived in metal bars during university :p

25. Tethys

Sep 30, 2005
    Hey - maybe Star Wars and metal go together! Have to see what's on on the Saturday night - they very often have bands too.

Here's a direct link (and you can see Snow Patrol REALLY were on ! http://www.thecockpit.co.uk/)

[face_dancing]

Here's what's on for a typical Saturday night - something for everyone...

Every Saturday

Room 1:
    A high speed mix of alternative action - From dirty low-slung rock to dancefloor indie, with a slice of punk rock on the side.

Room 2 with DJ Electrichead playing:
    70's Rawk, 80's 80's Big Hair (FOR EDGE?), 90's Grunge, Slacker & Thrash thru to 00's contemporary Rock n Hardcore.

Room 3 playing:
    Post-Punk, Goth 80's Electropop, Shoegazing, Modern, Dark, Indie & Electro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.