main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #26: The Hidden Temple, part 2 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I loved this issue! The dialogue is strikingly good in this comic. I just love Syn and Cade's truncated way of putting everything. Also Nat's diction is priceless. Elocution aside, despite being full of story shifting and exposition the issue manages to be one of my favorites so far. Maybe I'm a sucker for character driven issues?

I loved Shado confronting Cade. That was tremendous! Cade's use of the Dark Side is more like an actual drug addict. He reasons it's use the same as his drugs. That line about keeping it under control. I thoroughly enjoyed sequences with Syn and Rasi. It wasn't too far off from how I thought it would turn out. I didn't think either were going to die over this. It made me actually take a liking to Syn. (which I didn't think would be possible.) This put together with Loyalties would make certainly the most character driven/revealing trade since Broken. I am going into Legacy-Vector with high hopes. The Knights, Shado, and the Mynock? Awesome cast.
    I have to agree with the OJO Jedi on the council about the assassination.. Killing Krayt could really make things worse in the long run. [face_thinking]

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Actually, I'm surprised no one has brought up that possibility.

Has Cade seriously missed the possibility that if Darth Krayt dies, someone actually might just take his place?

Or worse, carve the galaxy up in an impossible to stop 1000 year Civil War between Sith Warlords?

Cause Darth Ruin's death TOTALLY destroyed the Sith.

o_O

3. fanboyskywalker

fanboyskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2008
    I'm only reading the Legacy TPBs so I wont say too much about this issue (don't want to judge before I see the work for myself) but I did hear something about more Jedi Order 66 survivors appearing out of the wood work?? Elbow?

PLEASE make it stop.

It may be a cool idea to have the Jedi retreating to a secret temple on paper, but it makes Palpatine/Vader look like fools who can't take proper revenge. This retcon of Palpatine not wanting to hunt down the Jedi who survived Order 66 is one of the lamest, most forced developments in the entire EU. And we still have time to nip it before it gets too out of hand!

Like I said, won't say too much more about this development until I actually read the issue, but I'm throwing it out there now anyway because it's getting to the point where it seems more Jedi survived Order 66 than didn't!

We don't allow that acronym.

4. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007

Honestly, fbskywalker, read the issue before commenting. When you don't read the thing everyone is discussing yet comment negatively anyway you run a near 99% risk of going wrong.

5. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    I can't wait to see the Vao/Skywalker confrontation. :)

And I knew...I just knew that Ganner and Antares would end up going with Cade, and had pretty much guessed what his reaction would be...basically, 'it's better than no help.'

HOWEVER, I'm not liking what I'm hearing about Sia's conversation with Rae. Trust me, I have no illusions about Roan, but I really really wish they hadn't taken Sia in this direction.

I'm the biggest Sia fan on the planet and I'm not pleased. :(

I understand that it's war time and deserters are shot by any form of government or military...much less Roan Fel, but I would have much rather Draco or Krieg have this conversation with Rae, than Sia.

It just doesn't feel like her. :(

'Make it right, Antares' and 'if only one life.' And now this young woman who put her life on the line for some one she had just met basically threatens to kill a fellow IK over some mixed feelings that would be quite natural for someone in Rae's position.

Azelyn Rae had just seen her old master again for goodness sakes. Not to mention the situation with the Skywalker's.

I'll reserve final judgement until I read it myself, but I know that Jay is always spot on so I'm sure that I will be steamed.

6. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Eh, Sia's future Empress lady. I don't see the issue. In fact, I entirely approve of Sia playing hardball on this issue.

And unfortunately, TFN's description of the issue in its news was poor, which I think was what that poster was complaining about :/

7. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    Very good issue. I was disappointed that we didnt get to see the Jedi on the cover to be honest. last issue was misleading when it said "Next issue you will meet a batch of fresh new jedi". I hope they end up using them. A male togruta and a female elomin seemed like really cool choices for jedi. besides, we need some new jedi in the series once things cool down.

- The flashback scenes with Syn's father and Rav were good. They were on Roon- that girl looked awfully alot like Jarael. Obviously not her, but she shares the same pointed ears and white skin. Offshoot arkanians were not supposed to have pointed ears, which is the main reason why adasca and the others were so fascinated by Jarael. An artistic mistake or hints that Jarael is of another race and not arkanian? Anyways, interesting backstory and Im glad to see Rasi Tuum did survive!

-I was disapointed with Sia's threats to Azlyn. It seemed out of character of her, but she always striked me as being a snob.

-The council not going into war did not surprise me in the least, jedi are good for nothing but talk in their council chambers. They should have learned their lesson in the clone wars.

-I'm glad to see that Rawk is deciding to go see his kits and Droo again- though part of me really wished he had joined Cade. Im glad to see Shado is giong along with Cade as well, at least there is one jedi in the crew. I really wanted Sia to join them as well, but 3 IK's are more than enough.

Can't wait for the next issue and Vector!! :)

8. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    As do I, actually.

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    ....This is the OPPOSITE of their policy during the Clone Wars.

10. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Nagai have white skin and pointed ears. It would be more likely for the girl to have been Nagai than an Arkanian offshoot, since only one Arkanian offshoot was known to have pointed ears 4000 years ago, but all Nagai have pointed ears.

11. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    Nobody ever said the Arkanians -stopped- messing with themselves, IIRC.

I mean, human being give themselves elf-ears (surgically!) today, and I guarantee that if you could easily and cheaply make kids with genetic elf ears, someone on Earth would do it.

12. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    These Clone Wars council member Jedi seriously need to get with the times, Skywalker's Jedi Order needs to be the ones leading the fight here, not Jedi from another Order a long time ago that got owned doing what they're doing now. Debating and talking and ultimately doing nothing.

13. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    will cade be exiled if he kills krayt?

14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Which would be different from his life, how?

15. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    Can't be exiled from something you're not a part of....

16. Strika23

Strika23 Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    I mean they should have learned their lesson in the clone wars and get with the times, not judging current times from wars in the past (clone wars). They should have learned from the clone wars to go to war and fight, for it is the right thing to do rather than stand back and watch.

17. sabarte

Sep 8, 2005
    The case for the Jedi POV is much better made here than in the previous issue.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Another great issue, as always. It ended a lot like the Ossus Ghost arc did, setting up a lot more plot threads, but hopefully they'll all pay off eventually.

I was pleasantly surprised with the Rasi Tuum and Jariah confrontation. I thought it might turn out to be a "wasn't me" thing, especially with how there are references to other Rasi Tuums, and I liked that while the Vong bugs kinda caught the Jedi by surprise (guess Jedi still have a hard time with Force-neutral Vong bugs, but that can't be helped), he still basically easily knocked out Jariah and held him back. I was afraid Jariah might try to blow up the whole temple or something drastic like that. And in the flashback, Rasi Tuum does look ferocious, but guess for a seven-year old that would leave some mental scars too. And I liked how the Jedi explained his side, and its not like Jariah can really deny the kind of person Rav is, and given the kind of person Rav is, if Jariah's father hung out with Rav often, he probably wasn't that nice either. Jariah just recently got a taste of how backstabbing Rav is when Rav turned them into the Imps, not to mention that poor Arkanian girl. Cute girl, but she looks like a pure Arkanian, unlike Jarael, since she has no pupils, and I don't think she has Jarael's odd pointed ears. Makes me wish they could put Ms. Dureensma on the KotOR comic someday. And guess that's the debt Rav referred to when they pulled Cade in from space over Ossus, though Rav's probably happy to get rid of that public debt over such a minor thing. I wonder how this will affect Jariah's hatred of the Jedi. For the most part, he's held it in check after finding out about Cade, and he's always been intelligent enough to at least hate the Sith more than the Jedi, I just hate it when some characters are moronic enough to side with the Sith just because they have a grudge against a Jedi (since Sith have such a nice record of not backstabbing people :rolleyes: ). Now, either he has to deal with the fact that his father wasn't that nice, so the Jedi killing him wasn't such a crime, or he stays in denial. Jariah is still following Cade at least.

Azlyn Rae's arc seems like it'll be very interesting, especially with that upcoming Vector cover of her and Cade with lightsabers. Officially, she swore a lifelong oath to the Imperial Knights, but... well, now she has other options. If she defected back to the Jedi, wonder how much she might be worth compared to the potential Jedi-Fel alliance in the works. Nice "subtle" reminder by Marasiah about IK oaths, and the ominous fate of the other IK who... walked away. Wonder if that other IK will ever be named or will show up (flashback or otherwise. Though Azlyn seems a lot more meek now, with how Sia's coming down hard on her (Sia seems a lot less empathic these days, but she is Roan Fel's daughter after all) and now Azlyn's part of the IK support for the assassination squad.

Wow, didn't think Shado wouuld actually draw his lightsaber on Cade. And assuming I'm interpreting the scene right, sounds like Shado was about to try and beat the truth out of Cade, whether Cade even acknowledged that truth or not. Cade's not exactly a nice person, but he hasn't threatened anyone at the Temple, though he still seems like a ticking bomb. Not to mention that one panel of yellow Sith eyes. Cade seems to have his anger under control for now, at least he won't just randomly kill people, and he didn't even kill Rav when he had the chance, but of course, this was a relatively easy fight for Cade. When Azlyn was struck by that Imp officer a few issues ago, Cade looked a lot more unstable, like he was ready to start killing people over that minor offense. Here, it was just Shado. And nice to see Sazen is still trying to keep a eye on Cade, but Cade's his own person now, and there's only so much Sazen can do. Cade might have a point about using darkside techniques as just tools, but I'm thinking Sazen is more accurate with how he's afraid of Cade's disregard for how far he'll go or fa

19. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Agreed. The Council basically just opposes outright assassination. I like Tr'a Saa's comments. She basically agrees that the Jedi should "Hurt the enemy, yes. Work to defeat them and preserve innocent lives, yes." Not only that, but K'kruhk mentions that Cade's motives are not pure. He doesn't want to kill Krayt to save the galaxy. Instead, he wants to kill Krayt to get revenge.

Anyways, it is good to see that the Jedi are open to working against the Sith. Hopefully talks with Fel's forces go well. I can only assume (and hope) that these talks also include working with Gar Stazi and the Alliance Remnant forces.

--Adm. Nick

20. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I quite disagree. In fact, it neatly compliments her rebelliousness about her lovelife. She's idealistic when it comes to her personal situation, but she toes the Imperial party line when it comes to other matters. That's perfect, and I thought she had great characterization in this issue.

Her phrasing of the threat/warning was just perfect. The insinuation was clear enough, but not so blunt as to be crass.

She was wonderful. Not that death threats are wonderful, mind you, but that she was in perfect keeping with the dignity and stature that her office provides. Desertion is punishable by death, period. It's nice that the Second Empire actually expresses legitimate martial behavior. As repugnant as it may seem to us from the comfort of our computers, her behavior would not even be considered abnormal or immoral in this world.

What moral erosion? We've always known the Imperial Family was ruthless, but in every single case we've seen them act perfectly according to the rules of war. HIM the Emperor executed enemy spies surrendering under false pretenses, and HIH the Princess reminded Rae that desertion was a capital crime. These things should not cause us to bat a single eyelid.

The Fel House is not the group that is committing genocide, and it is not the group that is quite content to let it happen. The Sith and Jedi are the truly barbarous groups in this story; the Imperial Family has conducted itself with honor and grace at all times.

EDIT: I did not notice this at first, but it looks like Draco has now used the correct address--"Her Imperial Highness, Princess Marasiah." I highly approve. That was probably my favorite part of the issue aside from Sia herself. It may be a coincidence or based off of my comment about the mis-use of 'majesty' in the last issue, but I'm quite pleased either way. This is why Legacy's the only comic I follow straight through. Thank you, Jan and John. :)

21. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    Heh, Artoo likes the Solo/Fels better than the Skywalkers.

Also: Sia's subtly overt threat was great, and I'm still on the Council's side in this Kill Krayt business. It's a poor idea, but at least now I know why Sia was endorsing it-- she wants Dumb and Dumber out of her hair for a little while. :p Maybe she's hoping they'll get offed during the mission or something.

Overall, good issue, but a bit slow. Can't wait for next month's, though. Wyyrlok!

22. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004

Come on True Sith... :D

I still remain highly suspicious of Karness Muur and Jarael's visual similarities. If offshoots are suddenly showing up in Legacy shortly before Vector, my suspicions that the Sith history of Arkania will be revealed just went up another notch. [face_mischief]

23. Vrook_Lamar

Vrook_Lamar Jedi Padawan star 4

May 12, 2008
    ???

No way, the Clone Wars taught them that going to war will exaust your numbers and turn the Chosen One to the dark side.

The Jedi know that any assasination of Krayt will be a suicide mission like Darth Kruhl's attempted assasination of Fel. The simple fact is that the Sith have pawns to sacrifice and the Jedi don't.

24. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    as bao-dur once said the jedi are cowards who are afraid to fight this seems to be true since the jedi council refused to help cade.

25. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I love how the subtlety is totally lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.