main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy #26: The Hidden Temple, part 2 (of 2)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Manisphere, Apr 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Another comment/question...Is that T'ra helping out Rasi Tuum there?

2. jfostrander01

jfostrander01 Writer: Dawn of the Jedi, Agent of the Empire star 3 VIP

Oct 26, 2001
    The Jedi got played by Palpatine in the Clone Wars. He controlled both sides and all that they got was killed. Maybe they DID learn from the Clone Wars, hmmmmmmm?

3. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    I also noticed that Azlyn referred to her as "Master". I'm not sure if that is because of her birthright or her status as an IK. Since she is a newly knighted IK, it would be a bit hard to swallow that she is already some sort of Master equivalent. Though we know very little about the IK hierarchy.

And I'm trying to rack my brain to understand what you are referring to when you call the Jedi of this story "truly barbarous". If anything their actions have been more pacifistic in nature.

Here's a question for our exalted and mighty creator of this story: Would Kol Skywalker, servant of the living force, approve of Cade going to assassinate Krayt? Kol already stated his displeasure with his son's view of the Force, but what about the action, not the intent, behind his plan to change the galaxy?

4. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    In a military situation, all IK refer to other IK as 'Master'--even HRH Princess Sia.

5. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    I'm not the writer but I'd probably guess a flat out no on that one.

6. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    So sure are you? Kol Skywalker was a warrior who disliked "politics". He would hate sitting in a committee and discussing all the different ramifications of killing Krayt, like our "sit-and-wait" Clone Wars Jedi seem to do. I understand why the old Jedi feel that way. By taking such absolute actions during the Clone Wars they became blind to the plot of the Sith. However, different time different war, and the Sith are out in the open this time.

He was also a servant of Living Force, meaning that like our favorite Jedi, Qui-Gon, he didn't live past the situation at hand. Master Yoda told a young Obi-Wan to "Be mindful of the future" But Qui-Gon (Who Yoda accepted as his teacher) reminded Kenobi "Not at the expense of the moment." The Jedi Council seems to have forgotten that. Killing Krayt would undoubtedly be the best short-term decision. Force be damned the long-term consequences to a servant of the Living Force! The Jedi Council's reasoning for not killing Krayt is the result of long-term consequences, consequences revealed to them by the unifying Force.

To a warrior who doesn't think far past his next meal, killing Krayt might seem like the most viable option. Something Kol Skywalker might voice his approval of as long as it doesn't involve his son treading further down the dark path.

Just my two cents at least....

7. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    They're in the open because they are an army. And that's the problem with this move. Knowing as little as I do about Kol I like to think he was a bit of a tactician and a pragmatist to be in the Triumvirate. If Cade was able to cool his jets he might think the move through. He's dipping into the Dark Side when he it suits him. When has that ever worked for the Light Side historically? I think Shado isn't far off from the way Kol might treat Cade.

Well, winning wars isn't based on the best short term decisions and a Jedi should know that. And who's to say the Living Force isn't saying, sit tight. If you're blind to consequences you're not a Jedi. Now Cade is not a Jedi so this move is in keeping with how he does things but it isn't the Jedi way on a number of levels.

8. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    You're right, the Living Force might lead him to just "sit tight". However, if it didnt...

I think if Kol Skywalker came to the conclusion that killing Darth Krayt was the best decision for the here and now, he would hack the spiney dragon to pieces. Unless he felt specifically that the Force was NOT leading him to that direction, I think he would be the kind of guy to make a tactical decision to take out the head of the snake and watch the rest of it fall apart.

Killing Palpatine crippled the first Empire forever and brought about a (relative) age of peace for the galaxy. Kol knows his family's history and would probably try something similar.

No, it might not "win the war" but what war are we talking about here? Not the 2nd Imperial War or any war that has a name- It's Jedi Vs. Sith; Good vs. evil. It's literally a war without end. Killing Krayt would do a galaxy of good for putting the powers of Darkness in check for a time; the closest thing to victory you can achieve in the war between dark and light.

Kol might not be able to win the war, but he could take what is given and kill Krayt to change the balance of power. The Jedi will certianly have a better chance in a galaxy without the Dark Lord of the Sith.

Of course, it's all moot since Kol is dead....

9. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    No, it might not "win the war" but what war are we talking about here? Not the 2nd Imperial War or any war that has a name- It's Jedi Vs. Sith; Good vs. evil. It's literally a war without end. Killing Krayt would do a galaxy of good for putting the powers of Darkness in check for a time; the closest thing to victory you can achieve in the war between dark and light.

Actually, do you think it'd be cool if killing Krayt makes things worse?

A stronger, better, more evil Sith taking Krayt's place?

Krayt being Kaan and the next...Bane?

10. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Helloooooooooo Darth Nihl with the Holocron of Darth Bane in his hand and the Talisman of Karness Muur around his arm. [face_mischief]

(although, right now, I'm more worried about Cade getting hold of the Talisman thinking it'll help him against Krayt [face_whistling] )

11. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    The Jedi Councils of every age since their formation would be awarded one cosmic "I told you so...."

Shatterpoints can fly in many directions...it could very well become worse. Nihl might take the order one way and Wyrrlok might run in another direction

12. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I've a feeling Legacy is going to continue subjecting the whole Something Must Be Done viewpoint to critical scrutiny, what must be done? How? Do you know it is the right 'something'? Just how much thought have you given it? How much is emotion?

The other aspect of Legacy is that it isn't afraid to invert things, thus the dark side of the aristocratic leaders SW has previously loved in the form of Leia, which is the House of Fel.

Will be getting a copy Saturday.

13. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    I'm still wondering if those are bits of T'ra that are helping restrain Syn.

14. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Now that is a scary thought. We could be reasonably certain, though, that Cade would do the exact opposite of whatever Muur wanted him to do, because if someone tells Cade to turn right, he's gonna go all the way around the world to the left just on principle. ;)

Speaking of the Talisman, if I'm understanding DT #12 correctly, whoever wants it has to kill Celeste to get it, right? It'll be interesting to see if it comes into play in the vein of 'something worse than Krayt' potentially ruling the Sith. [face_thinking]

15. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    From what we've seen of the Muur Talisman so far, looks like she would have to die for someone else to claim it. Either that, or she would have to try wrenching it off of herself, but by now, she probably figures better the Talisman corrupts her slowly rather than the Talisman getting its hands on someone more powerful, since that would only make things worse. Celeste could sense that Vader getting the Talisman would be a disaster for the galaxy, but Vader could also sense that while the Talisman would probably make him powerful enough to overthrow the Emperor, he might also just be exchanging one Master for another, which really wouldn't be an improvement. We've seen the Talisman has some mobility on its own, with Pulsipher, but Pulsipher wasn't Force-sensitive, so that might be different circumstnaces.

And yeah, Cade would probably be very resistant to anyone, Sith Lord or otherwise, trying to tell him what to do. But then again, there are an awful lot of Force-sensitive people on Cade's ship right now, so plenty of other choices too. Several IKs, a Jedi, and of course, there are always whatever random Sith are around too. So far though, sounds like Celeste will be joining the party soon, not just the Talisman by itself.

And while Krayt's a definite problem, now the Jedi know that Krayt is dying, that Krayt is very reclusive probably to hide his illness for as long as possible. Krayt puts up a strong front, but otherwise, only Wyyrlokk and Talon, his most fanatically loyal minions, know just how potentially weak Krayt might be. So that adds some more weight to the "wait for the Sith to kill themselves off" scenario. And while Krayt dying on his own could lead to a the scenarios the Jedi Council was afraid of, of a worse Sith taking over, at least then the Jedi would have more time to rebuild their strength, and at least they won't have wasted their strength on an assassination attempt.

I think Cade does understand that someone else might just take over if Krayt dies, or that the Sith might just split into factions and start a civil war over who should be sucessor, but I think Cade mostly doesn't care about any of that. Krayt has been chasing him since Broken, when for better or worse, the last Skywalker (not counting Bantha) re-entered the galactic stage whether he wanted to or not when Krayt found out about his healing abilities and until either Krayt or Cade is dead, Krayt won't stop hunting for Cade. Even if killing Krayt just makes things worse for the galaxy, it'll almost definitely make things better for Cade alone at least.

On another note, I wonder if the IKs really are there to just help Cade attempt to kill Krayt. The IKs would love it if Krayt died, so I don't see it as too farfetched that Sia assigned them to aid Cade with his hit squad, since that might give Roan Fel a chance at reclaiming his throne, but I'm curious whether Roan Fel's original orders of bringing in Skywalker by force would still apply. Right now, helping Cade assassinate Krayt would further the Fel Empire's own agenda, but after that, I wonder if Draco and Ganner would then try to drag Cade back to Bastion. Not to mention Azlyn sure looks worried about a lot of things. Wonder if we'll ever see her in Imperial Knight armor. She seems more like an undercover agent, since travelling around in IK armor kinda makes them conspicuous, but probably not anytime soon, based on future covers. Though this kind of mission is a nice way to test her loyalties, whether it'll lie with the IKs, her original Jedi, or even with Cade maybe.

Too bad all those Jedi on the cover couldn't be included, I wish they could've been more Council members or something like that, since three members seem like a very small Council (not to mention two of them being Old Republic Jedi) but I hope that just means that the cover will all have future roles. Its not like its the first time the advertised cover or description for the issue has been off, like during that Indomitable arc when Roan Fel's forces never showed up until afterwards. I'm

16. Kaje

Kaje Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2005
    Ooooooooh, I like!

Ooooooooooooh, I like a lot!

17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, let's follow Cade's logic here.

Cade thinks that a Sith Lord who wants him alive is bad.

Never pausing to think that killing the one Sith Lord who wants him alive won't draw much worse attention from his fanatically devoted followers.

Seriously, if he succeeds, no rock will exist he can hide under.

My favorite idea would be that the Galaxy will Mourn Darth Krayt and solidify the Sith's hold.

:)

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    I was thinking it might go more like this:

If Cade kills Krayt, then either a) whoever takes over will be glad to get rid of Krayt and whil hunting down Cade will be important, they'll be more busy solidifying their power base, or b) if loyal Sith like Wyyrlokk or Talon retain power, then they'll go hunt down Cade. But in either of those choices, it'll be for vengance, but it won't be for personal reasons. Krayt needs Cade's healing powers, a reason most other Sith don't really share, which is why Krayt is so obsessed with trying to capture and then breaking Cade to make Cade heal him.

Of course, its not the most logical, but this is Cade we're talking about. Its probably not going to end well, that's pretty definite though.

19. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    This Jedi Order needs a Luke Skywalker to guide them or a Yoda...they're lost.

20. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    For not listening to Cade?

The Darkest of the Dark Dark Emos?

21. JaySkywalker01

Oct 25, 2005
    They relish in the wisdom of the hat....

22. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    [face_laugh]:_|[face_laugh]

23. Manisphere

Aug 25, 2007
    And well they should! There was a comment made by Sia or K'krukh about the use of assassination in the past and its risks. I immediately wondered about the emotional fallout for Jaina killing Jacen. Though Caedus and Krayt are two different situations, assassination as a concept is permissible within Luke's Order. It was okay to kill a Sith Lord who happened to be your brother. Then 100 years later Sia, K'krukh and company who have the hindsight of 200 years of Jedi conflict take a pass on the notion of assassination. Other than the fear the The One Sith will splinter or grow in strength, I just wonder what they know that we don't that they should not consider assassination where Luke and Mace once did. It's a big philosophical change from The OJO and the NJO.

24. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    Cade leadng an army of Sith trained Rakghouls & that's the end of Krayt's One Sith Order as the rakghoul plague infects them all, damn that would be horribly annoying. Hope that doesn't happen, ever. [face_worried]

25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    HIH :p :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.