main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Legacy Child:Ben Skywalker Society Thread: *Ben's neglected... show some LOVE! -New Discussion 1/28*

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by LegacyChild1, Jan 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Nice to see this thread up again!

Personally, I think Ben came out of it just fine, only losing his respect for Jacen in the process.

To me, Ben seems like the most well-balanced Skywalker at the moment and the least likely to ?fall? to the dark side. Like Jacen/Caedus said in the book, Ben was able to retain his sense of humor even while being tortured. And that?s a sign of a healthy psyche.

This is my soapbox [face_blush] , but IMHO, Luke spends entirely too much time worrying about the dark side. It?s not like it?s something that jumps out of the woods and grabs you or you accidentally trip and become a Sith one day. Even people who make mistakes and succumb, briefly, to dark powers are not condemned to being a Sith forever. Look at Jaina ? she experimented with the dark side, but she?s fine now.

[/end soapbox]

I think Ben will be okay because he doesn?t sit around wringing his hands and worrying about what might happen.

At least, I hope he?ll be okay.

2. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    LOL! Good soapbox, Trace! :)

Though you can't really blame Luke, his father was one of the most evil men in the galaxy and he was taught in a very black and white manner. It is hard to overcome the way you originally learn something, creatures of habit we are! :)

You are right Ben doesn't just sit around and think about it which is good, Luke does that enough, but sometimes I think it doesn't cross his mind at all. That is what scares me. Everytime I think about him saying "This kill is mine" I worry about him. I think that honestly disturbed me! 8-} Maybe Luke and I should sit around and worry about it together! :p

I think Ben will be alright in the long run, but I worry that he is so young and this is a lot to take on.

3. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    From what I've read, Ben is a smart, thoughtful kid. He doesn't just agonize over stuff, he tries to figure it out. He wants to know how things work and then figure out what's best for himself and I think, in the long run, that will keep him to the good.

4. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh, he definitely is and does and I have nothing but faith in him (there is a conversation he and Luke have in Fury that proves that, if it already wasn't proven)... its the writers I don't have that much faith in! They love to turn people dark! 8-}

5. ZaraValinor

ZaraValinor Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 31, 2002
    That's true. But they better keep my Ben good or there will be a reckoning.

6. Meredith_Kenobi

Meredith_Kenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2005
    Yep, that's where my fear lies too: in the writers, not in Ben's character. Ben's a sharp one. He's far too smart to be lulled to the dark side, or be tricked into falling like Anakin Skywalker was. He doesn't have the inner darkness that Anakin had, anyway, except for the things that Jacen might have buried there.

But like I said, Ben's too smart.

There are only two more books left in the series, anyway. If the authors do make him fall, it will be nothing but a brief stint.

7. SithGirl132

SithGirl132 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 6, 2005
    Couldn't resist dropping in...

Ben acts like one of those Force-users who may dabble in the Dark Side, but will be able to return to the light with minimal side effects. Turning him to the Dark Side would be an obvious sign of trying to make more money off of the Sith cash cow. And there isn't much inner darkness, and Ben doesn't have a good reason to fall. I have a feeling that he will not fall.

8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I just hope at the end of LOTF Ben doesn't go off on a Force sojourn, looking for answers around the galaxy. *sigh*

9. LegacyChild1

LegacyChild1 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2006
    Discussion moved to the brand new and shiny sight.

http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_resource/b10304/28033630/p1/?15

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.