main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Index LEGACY Comics Index and Discussion ~~The End Of An Era~~

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Legacy_Index, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    So I'm working on this Gunn Yage fic, but my brain got stuck picturing a little girl named Gunn in, say, a first grade classroom. Poor kid. Seriously, like, is that the name on her birth certificate? In today's society, she'd probably get booted for "inspiring violence" or something ridiculous. I cannot stop thinking about this.

2. Musing

Musing Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 31, 2003
    Could be worse. Imagine what she'd go through if she'd been named Hondo Karr. :D

3. RebelGrrl

RebelGrrl Jedi Master star 4

Jan 13, 2006
    Gunna and Gunnar are venerable Scandinavian names. Perhaps we should consider Gunn more like 'Gunna' without the 'a', like Han is 'Hans' without the 's'?

Hey, maybe it really is Gunna and she shortened it to fit in with the guys? :)

4. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002

:D I can come up with plenty of worse names, but most of them probably aren't family-board safe... [face_whistling]

That's cool about the Scandinavian history. I did not know that. It's as good an explanation as I'm likely to get, so you know what, that's the one I'm going with. Thanks! :D

5. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    After rereading issue #40, I found myself wanting to roll my eyes at what Morrigan/Nyna said during her conversation with Cade. Did anyone else have the same reaction?

She thought Ossus would be a peaceful surrender? She did what was ?right? for her after Ossus? Kol knew her, both the good and bad, and loved her anyway? Uh-huh. Sure. Right. :rolleyes:

IMO, Morrigan/Nyna is really stretching things. Then again, it might be the ol? survival instinct kicking in to keep her son from getting really ticked off at her. Just imagine Cade?s reaction if he knew she was the one responsible for the Sith-Felpire alliance. [face_whistling]

It?s hard to believe that she was either naïve ? or foolish ? enough to think that the Jedi would surrender to the Sith, or that the Sith would prefer a surrender over slaughter. She knew the Sith well enough to anticipate their treachery and arrange for Roan Fel?s escape before Krayt?s assumption of the throne.

For that matter, Morrigan/Nyna?s apparently always done what was ?right? for herself, not just after Ossus. Her career came first, before Kol and Cade, not to mention Rulf and Gunn. In light of recent revelations, Rulf may have been a better husband than she deserved, even as Kol was. It?s possible that Morrigan/Nyna walked out on him because he refused to let her ?guide? him out of a sense of honor, rather than a lack of ambition.

And I have to question whether what good there is in Morrigan/Nyna, if there is any at all. It might have been love that prompted her to go to Cade?s rescue twice, but as Gromia pointed out, she would be ruined if her relationship with Kol and to Cade were known. There certainly doesn?t seem to have any love lost between her and Gunn, on either side. So far, Gunn only seems to factor in Morrigan/Nyna?s life when her mother has an agenda.

It?s ironic that Cade damns Morrigan/Nyna for being a survivor, first and foremost. Everything so far in Legacy indicates that Cade?s definitely his mother?s son.

I can?t wait to see what happens when she finds out that Veed has decided to accept Wyrlokk?s offer without consulting her, and how Gunn handles the discovery of her mother?s dual identity. I?d bet that the poodoo?s going to hit the fan, one way or another.:D

6. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Better late than never, right?

Been thinking about this and I can't really say I want any particular event to happen -

(well, yeah I do: I want a female Skywalker, stangit, and not just by marriage, but a full-blooded, Force-using, bad-a$$ Skywalker GIRL. :p)

- but, uh yeah, I guess I'd like to see some of the players starting to come together so that the arcs aren't quite so segmented into Cade-centric, GA-centric, etc.

Best thing so far: "Claws of the Dragon" arc, especially the last two issues. I lost sleep on those release days, LOL.

Least favorite: My knee-jerk reaction is Issue #29 :p, but I'd like to find out the back stories of some of the main players. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to know all about Hondo Karr now, but I'd like to see that level of story for characters we see more than once or twice a year. [face_peace]

Morrigan was also what suprised me most in this issue, but for different reasons. I'm gonna be lazy and repeat a few comments I posted over in Lit, but her hardness was shocking: starting with her dressing-down of Gunner then hauling off and smacking the snot out of her own daughter in front of everybody ? the woman is COLD when it comes to Gunner. (But I think that?ll come into play later.)

On the total flip side, the Cade/Morrigan interactions were rather pointed and poignant. I noticed the body language in particular. Only once did they ever actually face each other, and that was during Cade?s angry declaration that he and ?dad? had done just fine without her and that Rav had looked after him better than she ever did. For the rest of the issue, Cade and Morrigan are looking away /have their backs turned/walking away from each other. Very awkward yet telling and shows a lot of lingering pain and regret, IMHO.

Did NOT expect her confessions about Kol and their love for each other, or for her to tell Cade that she loved him. Which I doubt he heard, since he was walking away after finding out that she remained loyal to the ?power that killed [her] husband and son.? Bantha told Cade a while back that losing Morrigan messed Kol up pretty bad and I?m starting to think that leaving Kol messed with her equally, especially since she said that she would have warned him if she?d known about the Sith plans to attack Ossus and that nothing ?seemed to matter? after she thought Cade and Kol were dead. Hence the reinvention of herself, maybe, and her less-than-motherly conduct toward her daughter? That Gunner could never replace the son she thought she'd lost? I dunno. Just speculation.

But yes, I agree completely that she does appear to act purely out of self-interest. Which makes me wonder why she's so determined to keep Cade alive.

7. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    It could also be argued that Gunner deserved it for making a mess of things: misplaying her role a black ops agent, not waiting for the senior agent to arrive, ignoring the files on Gromia, etc.

It?s just speculation, but I think the difference in Morrigan/Nyna?s attitude towards her children might be due to the circumstances of their births. Her pregnancy with Cade was apparently an unexpected development ? she said in the flashback with Kol that having children wasn?t in her career plans ? while Gunner?s conception might?ve been a failed attempt to manipulate Rulf, as it?s been stated that Gunner was raised like the son he?d always wanted.

Hmmm...it just occurred to me, on a completely random thought, do you suppose JO & JD intended Jeriah to be a Jiminy Crickets-type of conscience for Cade from the get-go? [face_thinking] That would fit their modus operandi of the unexpected, wouldn't it, given his childhood with Rav and initial hatred of Jedi?

8. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    He does seem to be developing into a role of brother's keeper. Or maybe growing up together makes him the one person who can call Cade out when he's being stupid that Cade'll actually listen to.

Preview for this month's issue is up!

A pool party on ZELTROS. DUDE! :D

9. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002

That's definitely the vibe I get. I don't think Jariah necessarily wants to be or is trying to be Cade's conscience (far too much responsibility/guilt if it goes wrong PLUS it'd be hard to justify his own slips if he tried to force someone else into following any sort of moral code, no matter how loose.

I think he just wants what's best for his "brother", and by standing on the outside edge of all Cade's drama, he can see more clearly than Cade can what may be a REALLY HORRIBLE choice.

Just thinking about it now, I can see it as similar to Obi-Wan and Anakin's relationship, Maybe what Obi-Wan and Anakin might have been if they hadn't had the rigid rules of the Jedi Order driving wedges between them.

And then I wonder if THAT's what JO & JD were trying to do from the beginning.

10. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Nice insight into the characters karebear. While Jariah is not exactly the guy you'd necessarily want as your moral compass, he does have his own code of right and wrong--piratical at times though it may be. When it comes down to it, he's not such a bad guy.

11. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    OMG, Jan just said I had good insight. I may faint! :eek:=D=[face_blush]

12. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    *high fives karebear!* cuz you're awesome like that, cheeka! ;)

*waves to Jan* :D

The summary for the March issue is out

And the cover:
    [image=http://www.rebelscum.com/comics/SWLegacy46.jpg]

I'll, uh, be hiding under the bed. [face_worried]

:p

13. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    There's no need to panic, y'know. It's not like Cade's never healed Deliah before from Vong biotech.

Then again, it might be something like Krayt's situation - too complicated for him to deal with. [face_thinking] [face_whistling]

14. karebear214

Sep 7, 2002
    That picture is just... scary. I tell you, this series has brought some truly disturbing cover art, hasn't it?

15. Legacy_Index

Legacy_Index Jedi Youngling

Oct 3, 2007
    Just read #43 - Excellent holiday gift from the comic creators. A lot of stuff happens, a lot of stuff worth thinking about - some drama, some backstory, some relationship bits, some just plain fun (Zeltron pool party, bay-bee!). Classic Legacy. Almost too much good stuff!

~ karebear (haha. I forgot I was still logged into the Index name... [face_tired])

16. Jedi Trace

Dec 15, 1999
    I know, right? I posted my comments over in the Lit thread and the Cade fan club in EUC, but I think I grinned for a solid hour after reading this last issue. Soooo much going on! :D

17. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    No kidding! Ain't it great? [face_dancing]

Has anyone else thought that insecurity is a common characteristic among the Felpire's adherents? That's how I interpret their constant need to puff themselves up. Examples include Roan Fel's constant harping on him being the "true" Emperor, Marasiah's grandstanding invasion of the Hidden Temple, Antares Draco & Sigel Dare's putdowns of the Jedi...with the latest being Hogrum Chalk's reference to Bantha Rawk's life-preserving suit as "crude" and "not up to Imperial standards." Well, what would you expect from a prototype created without the resources to which Chalk has access? Not to mention the fact that Bantha didn't design it for usage as battle armor.

I'm really curious as to the identity of Veed's informant about the Jedi-Felpire meeting on Agamar. Way back in issue #13, Darth Maladi mentioned that she was setting Roan up for assassination from within. Wonder if the impending Sith Imperial attack there is the culmination of her plotting? [face_thinking]

18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Yeah, I don't really find much in the way on insecurities in the Imperial Characters, Roan's entire existance depends upon him being the True Emperor(I think it's there for the readers who may have just picked up the book as much as anything). Chalk's take can be simply viewed as stating a fact(assuming we're to believe that the Empire retained the Vader Cyborg info).

I'll give you Dare and Marasiah, both always seem like they have something to prove, but I really think it ends there. Putting down the Jedi, who until recently have been in hiding while the Imperial Knights engage the Sith, just seems like a natural reaction to me.

Disagree we must:p

My six year old daughter declared that "Queen Jool is the ugliest Hutt I've ever seen" tonight while she was looking over my shoulder. So I asked her about Jabba, she answered "He's way more pretty than that one":p

19. Jan_Duursema

Jan_Duursema Comic Artist: -AOTC -Legacy -Republic star 4 VIP

May 15, 2001
    Can you hear it?

No?

Somewhere, in a Galaxy far, far away, Queen Jool is... :_|

20. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    My daughter thought it pretty funny that she made Queen Jool cry:p

lol

21. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Actually, it doesn?t end there. I notice that you didn?t mention Draco. How could you overlook the Imperial bootlicker? :eek: On second thought, maybe that's why. [face_whistling]

Or maybe a self-defensive one. The Imperial Knights only bothered to fight the Sith, their allies, after Fel got kicked off the throne. Unlike the Jedi, their small organization remained intact because they didn?t participate in the war between the Empire and the GA Alliance. They're more of a nuisance than an actual threat to the Sith.

Besides, how do you know that the scattered Jedi haven?t been operating in the shadows like Hosk Trey?lis did? They wouldn?t have any other choice, considering that the majority of the galaxy is hostile to them. The Hidden Temple would contain just a fraction of their numbers since only a few knew of its existence.

Now that?s something on which we can agree. ;)

Maybe she prefers Jabba?s au naturel look as opposed to Jool?s extras? :D

22. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    The new one is slightly sad :( *tsk* he's at it again :( which is understandable as to why he is. Lil more history/back story there [face_dancing] Loving it!

23. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    I actually don't think very highly of Draco myself. But myself not mentioning him is right there with you skipping Tries Sinde, Elke Vetter, Mohrgan and Ganner. I think your brush stroke in regard to the IK's is a little too wide.:p

I've been under the impression that the Jedi sat that one out as well, but I could be mistaken. Perhaps the Jedi involvment was the reason Roan Fel ordered his Imperial Knights to not take part in the war;) Roan does seem to have a healthy respect for the Jedi Order, more than even a former GA Admiral does...........

Stazi certainly doesn't have a general liking for them when he finally meets up with them.

Yes, I'm sure thats why the Sith have tried to assassinate Roan Fel twice(Three times if one counts Darth Talon trying to draw him out early in the series).;) It's because of their association with the Fel Empire that they are and have been a greater threat to the Sith than the Jedi are currently.[face_skull]

Because it is not what the Jedi Council wills(Until perhaps issue #42). Rogue elements maybe, but not the Order proper.:)

Where the Jedi have acted they have had success, mostly from Shado and Wolf. How they can sit back having knowledge of all the good those two have done is a little beyond me.

What would have happened if Luke decided to sit back and do nothing but train new recruits for a few generations?

I think she just likes Rotta, so she likes his dad too.:p

24. Musing

Oct 31, 2003
    Nope - they were deliberately omitted. I didn't mention Mohrgan Fel and Elke Vetter because they are dead. They were killed off in issues #1 and #2, respectively - too soon to see whether they shared the insecure Imperial mindset or not. The lack of page time (plus the lack of a name :p) is also why the blonde with whom Roan was sparring during the Vector storyline is ignored. And it's obvious that both Treis Sinde and Ganner Krieg are self-confident enough that they don't need to resort to putdowns just to boost their self-esteem.

I'd say it?s more of a desperation for allies rather than respect as far as Roan is concerned - otherwise, why would he be so upset over not getting the Muur talisman? Roan himself admits at the outset that he's running out of time. He?d have to be an idiot to think that the Jedi would still be willing to ally with someone who uses a Sith artifact with such a malignant influence.

As for Stazi (A formerGA admiral? When did he resign? :confused:), I see him as being wary of relying on allies who are few in numbers and persecuted by most of the Galaxy. It?s likely that his own fleet harbors people with anti-Jedi sentiments bent on retribution because the Ossus Project?s failure precipitated the Sith-Imperial war. From all indications, the Sith?s sabotage of the Ossus Project isn't widely known.

If there?s a fly buzzing around you, do you let it continue to pester you or try to swat it? So far, the Imperial Knights have had little success, for all they?re seemingly more active than the Jedi. Numerical superiority outweighs egotistical bluster; the Sith are still in control of the Empire.

Three councilors and a small fraction don?t constitute the Order proper when the majority is still scattered. Just because they?re not in the Hidden Temple doesn?t mean that they?re rogues. The three councilors didn?t try to prevent Shado from following Cade to Had Abbadon, even though they didn?t agree with his mission. And so far, the repercussions from Krayt?s death haven?t been at all positive.

?All the good? Shado and Wolf have accomplished isn?t much. Their attempt to help Marasiah Fel would have failed without Cade and his crew. Shado joined the Darth Krayt assassination team to keep an eye on Cade, not because he thought Cade was right. No reason for him to think that after Cade?s idiotic claim about being in control of his Dark Side Force usage.

Aren?t you exaggerating a bit? Seven years isn?t a few generations. I?d say the Jedi?s situation more like Luke?s in The Empire Strikes Back when he ran off to Bespin. Rushing into a confrontation when you aren?t ready isn?t a good thing. Regrouping for effective resistance takes time when there?s only one known safe location for Jedi to

25. Robimus

Jul 6, 2007
    Since it didn't even come to pass I'd suggest we don't know what Roan planned to use the talisman for. We know what he told Antares he wanted the talisman for, that doesn't mean it would have come to pass.

If we as the readers are suppost to forgive Cade over and over again, I think we can forgive Roan a couple times as well.:D

And yet did there seem to be anti-Jedi sentiment when the Jedi showed up? None that I noticed beyond Stazi's apprehension.

As for Stazi resigning, he never did. But the fact that there is no longer a GA makes him former in my eyes. He's an Admiral still, perhaps some would call him a warlord even, but without a GA he can't be a GA admiral.[face_whistling]

Of course so far as Stazi is concerned he's the Head of State of the GA, which again leaves him with little being that no GA exists.;)

Lets move past the Imperial Knights for a moment, as they are a small part of a larger picture. Roan has had much success. He reclaimed Bastion, holds an area of space likely greater than 20 Sectors in size, an area of space the Sith are unable to capture and hesitant to attack.

Thats a little bigger than a fly I think.;)

The central Jedi presence in the Galaxy is at the Hidden Temple. Thats all we've got to see. Sure we can speculate what the others(if there are that many) are still up to, but we have no proof of anything.

I have no issue with the Jedi not wanting to assassinate Krayt, its a seperate issue, an aside to them hiding away. It's that they seem scared to do anything that I have had issue with. Fortunatly they seem to have corrected that error by contacting Stazi, 'bout time.:cool:

I dunno, I think anyone thinning the Sith numbers(as Shado and Wolf have) has done some good. Certainly the most of any Jedi we've seen.

Not so much exaggerating as quoting the wise and benevolent Tra'Saa. She felt it might be generations before the Jedi were ready t

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.