main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Number Kriffing One, Baby: Prisoner of the Floating World

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Dec 12, 2012.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    What makes you think I care either way? :p

All I'm saying is, if Allana's last name can change, so can anyone's.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I knew it would be post-Legacy! :D

Ania Solo... it fits! Still unsure who she's decended from, but probably Allana.

And I bet the "Imperial communications droid" is C-3PO!!! :D :D :D

3. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Nah, it'll work out fine. I agree that we're looking at having kids a little later than 25, and I wouldn't be surprised if, like Cade, the exact number of generations remains mysterious in the comic for exactly this reason, but especially if she's descended from a series of younger children, Allana has a kid at 40, who in turn has a kid around 40, which makes Ania 22 at the time of Legacy: War (138 ABY), with a few years wiggle room each side (since I'd guess Ania's anywhere from 18 to 26 based on that picture and just...general assumptions about the media).

4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're royalty anyway, being descended from House Organa (via adoption), House Naberrie (merely elective, but by blood), House Vader ( :p ), and House Solo.

Granted, only the Imperial and Hapan titles are active... :p

Ulicus and CeiranHarmony like this.
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't Han's connection to the Solo royal house of Corellia, established at the last moment of Courtship of Princess Leia to be through a pretender?

6. Reveen

Reveen Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 4, 2012
    Eh, it's going to be Post-Legacy, so I guess they weren't really thinking about the number of greats they needed and are just saying so we know she's directly descended from them instead of a distant third cousin descendant or something.

I'm just happy it's going to be an ongoing instead of another damn miniseries.

7. beccatoria

beccatoria Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 8, 2006
    Hey, I still think that Leia has a legitimate claim as Empress of the Remnant, since the title should have gone to Vader after he killed his Master according to Banite tradition, and Leia's the one of his offspring who's publicly claimed a title indicating she is Vader's heir, whilst publicly renounced it... ;) And I've never understood why the surviving Alderaanians seemed so eager to give up on their monarchy as a going concern...

...I wasn't really too fussed on House Solo though since clearly that was just ridiculous. :p

But, yes, I was going by active titles. ;)

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    A pretender is someone who holds a title in pretence -- so if it's through a pretender, it's a valid claim. Pretender != fraud. For instance, there are Bourbon and Bonaparte pretenders to the French throne* at the moment, whilst there is a Bourbon pretender (through the Carlist line) to the Spanish throne though the Spanish throne is already occupied by a Bourbon of the junior line. There are also still Jacobite pretenders to the thrones of Scotland and England (but not the United Kingdom).

And indeed, Karl von Habsburg is the current pretender to the Austro-Hungarian throne, and he is the son of Otto von Habsburg, the previous pretender who was also the last Archduke of Austria and heir to the imperial and royal throne.

*The Bourbon pretenders are of the Legitimist and Orleanist lines.

9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    House Solo is a real thing. Whether Han is truly descended from it or not is another matter.

Either way, nice that this takes place post-War. They can only take things in great directions from here. I wonder just how much of Legacy will play a part here, if any of it. I'm guessing the Sith will get mentioned, as will the state of the galactic government.

10. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    This way, sure It would work . I hope Beckho or Hardman will post news about that and the general plot in the coming days.^:)^

11. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Not always:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretender
    The term "pretender" applies not only to claimants with arguably genuine rights to the throne (as the various pretenders of the Wars of the Roses) who regarded the de facto monarch as a usurper, but also to impostors with wholly fabricated claims (as pretenders to Henry VII's throne Lambert Simnel and Perkin Warbeck).

Though it's left unclear what kind of pretender Korol Solo was and why they hanged him, Threepio seems to think that Han's claim to be of royal descent is no longer valid.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. No, for various reasons. The Imperial title -- at least of the First Galactic Empire -- is not a Sith creation, but rather, the creation of the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic and President of the Senate, supported via acclamation of the Galactic Senate. The succession mechanism is unclear, but I doubt that it has anything to do with a tradition that the Emperor did away with, and I suspect it's secular in nature. I would posit that the current claimant to the true Imperial throne is Ederlathh Pallopides. :p

As far as the Remnant goes -- the Remnant has nothing to do with the Galactic Empire. It was created ex nihilo by Admiral Dalliance, by killing a bunch of warlords. It's not the Galactic Empire, and any claim to the Imperial throne has no bearing on the Remnant at all. That's why the Fel dynasty rules the Second Empire and has not merely restored the first.

II. Yeah, that was quite odd. Why isn't Leia queen of the surviving Alderaanians? She liked to say that she was no longer princess because her world was lost, but she was princess to her people, not to a lump of dirt (admittedly, a very pretty lump of dirt).

Iron_lord , yes, it is sometimes used to refer to false claims, but that's a colloquial rather than technical usage. Wikipedia is being descriptive rather than prescriptive. In any event, the point is that the word "pretender" on its own doesn't tell us anything, whether we go for the technical definition or the ambiguous one.

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Threepio's reaction, however, might.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The use of the Solo surname does raise interesting possibilities, since what we know at this time suggests that neither lineage would presume to inherit the names. Jaina's children would be Fels and Allana's should by Djos since the Hapan lineage to which they belong is matrilineal (Allana bearing the surname of Solo is probably a legal disguise designed to suggest she was born in GA space rather than Hapan space).

Potentially the Solo name is resurrected by any male offspring Allana might have and then Aina belongs to that line? Or the Solo name could be assigned to an illegitimate child, either of Allana or one of Allana's children, or even to an illegitimate child fathered by Fel II (I recall Marasiah had some relative who was not named Fel). A lack of legitimacy would help to explain the 'despite her famous heritage' foundation.

15. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

Palpatine as Chancellor never intended to create a hereditary Imperial Monarchy and thus the Imperial title is not hereditary at all. Thus there is no title after Palpatine's final death. That one was created out of thin air by the next would-be Emperor, sure, there I agree.

still the Felpire is the THIRD EMPIRE, the second was YJK Second Imperium :p

as for Leia.. the Alderaanians who liked pacifism all died with Alderaan, those who survived were those offworld for business who are more galactic citizens than one planets anyway or Alderaanians in exile. Thus all not those who would support a monarchy or pacifism in the first place. Those who survived and did all died with the Alderaanian Death Legion on Hoth taking revenge on the Empire.

thus NEW ALDERAAN and its inhabitants are hardly related to Leia's world or title but in name only.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Children of the Jedi- there were suggestions that the Imperial court at least believed that the children of Palpatine's concubines would be heirs to the throne.

17. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Allana is a Solo as per books already more so than a Djo. Legally a Djo-Solo maybe or merely Djo, but she uses Solo more often than she does Djo. So there is precedence in her using the Solo name despite Djo being the more official one. But I like your notion of male offspring taking on the Solo name with the Djo lineage staying in Hapes.

18. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Awesome news, can't wait to read this in March. Very interesting summary, now this is what the fans (or at least this board) wants to see. More Legacy, new Solo, and at least she doesn't start out as a Jedi holding a lightsaber on the cover. So sounds like she's aware of her family history at least (although Cade already did the "reject family obligations" thing), when big adventure comes knocking. I almost wonder about the "In the aftermath of War, the Solo clan lives on!" line referring to a certain royal person's death in War. Either way, this sounds really good, definitely going to buy it.

19. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    yeah but that's because the Imperials wanted a throne to be filled with a leader... Palpatine in the initial conception wanted to live forever and did not need hereditary titles or any successors at all. So that the title continued was a later fabrication, not one originating with the first Emperor.

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    And the Tagges made efforts to try to marry into the Imperial Family. I don't think the throne was ever officially hereditary (he's right about Palpatine's goal being to live forever), but given that there was no mechanism for a successor at all, then hereditary succession is as valid as having the Senate appoint a successor (and both were plausible attempts -- the former by Betl Oxtroe, high level member of the Imperial Court and Order of the Canted Circle who at least started negotiations with the Rebellion to have Pallopides ruling as ceremonial empress and the latter by Ars Dangor after the liberation of Imperial Center).

21. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    He might have let the court go on thinking that though- his experiments with immortality would have been secret.

22. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    I like the name, fits pretty well with the rest of the Solo's.

I'm torn on if I want to her to be a Force-user or not. I'm missing my monthly fix of badass female Jedi kicking butt since Knight Errant got canceled, but having a non-Force using Solo would be awesome...

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    while we are at derailing the thread...

I wonder WHO Tagges intended to marry then... wern't all concubine kids pretty much too young? For one we the only kids old enough we know of are Triclops/Trioculus (whoever was the true one).. or if Mara was Palpatines daughter which I doubt, her and her twinsister Shira Brie.
    I doubt young Irek Ismaren was ready for marriage at toddler age... though the Empire has a habit of marrying pretty way too young, if it is any indication with the Tavira family.

besides.. did Domina Tagge try to marry Triclops/Trioculus? Or did the Tagge brothers intend to woo girls we do not know yet?

24. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    Does anyone know if this is actually a series of mini-series? Because it seems weird to me for the title of the whole series to include a subtitle. "Legacy - Prisoner of the Floating World" as the title of the WHOLE series? It just seems suspicious.

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I like the title, concept of a floating world sounds great.