main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Number Kriffing One, Baby: Prisoner of the Floating World

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Dec 12, 2012.

1. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    I trade wait too. Now, I'm beginning to doubt my convictions...

2. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Government by Her Imperial Majesty, Imperial Knight, Fel is theocracy.

3. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    While Empress Fel is also a Force user (Imperial Knight), she's probably grown been trained in the art of statecraft while The Hat has no such training or inclination. Indeed I'm a bit unhappy with The Hat being in charge of the Jedi. Yoda was in charge for who knows how long and as far as I'm concerned, that was one of the things that led to the Jedi becoming very rigid (and let's face it, a little more action and sympathy and less spouting of dogma would have done wonders with Anakin).

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  4. DarthNefaris

DarthNefaris Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 11, 2011
    Issue read!

Compared to the first issue of Legacy, the opening is less explosive but it's still quite interesting. We learn more about how the triumvirat works, and about the Mon Calamari fate. Sauk and Ania are a funny duo, I really like them. Nice to see new Siths too. It is a really great issue and I can't wait for the next one.

For those who want to know the story : Spoilers.

After the defeat of Darth Krayt, the new Triumvirate is working on implementing a new communication array which will link isolated worlds to Coruscant. Yalta Val, imperial knight, is coming his way to the Carreras system to fulfill the will of the Triumvirate. When he's about to send a communication droid to act as a beacon (because the communications are down once in the surd nebula), Yalta and his crew are attacked by a sith master and his apprentice. The crew dies, and the sith apprentice kills his master before kidnapping Yalta. The communication droid retrieves Yalta's lightsaber but crashed some time later. One week later, Ania Solo retrieves the droid and decides to show it to Sauk in order to determine its value. When examinating it, they find the lightsaber and decide to sell it, and with the money gained, live the planet. In the meantime, an imposter pretending to be Yalta meets the gouvernor of the Carreras system and declares there is a Sith presence in the sector. Without the Triumvirat approval, the imposter decides to put an end to this threat. But the imposter proves to be the Sith apprentice and his true goal is to retrieve the communication droid (or the lightsaber). Then Ania and Sauk go on Carreras Major to sell the lighsaber, but it's forbidden and the transaction goes wild : the duo is now tracked by the local police.

5. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Not much to say yet after just one issue, but the art is unique in a very good way and the story seems like it has a lot of potential. I would also love to see K'Kruhk die a fiery death fit for a coward who's shown himself to make decisions based on archaic and long-outdated 150-year old precedents.

instantdeath likes this.
  6. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    Everybody's raggin' on my K'Kruhk.:(

7. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Yeah, back off, guys.
    [​IMG]

8. Obie-2-Kenobi

Obie-2-Kenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 18, 2008
    I know this is way WAY premature, but...as more of a TPB guy than a week to weekly comic type, how many issues (generally) will they release before a TPB is issued?? I got the first issue just because I was interested, but as I said, I'm a TPB man.

9. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    Another Solo shoots first!

Still not impressed by the artwork though.

Gorefiend likes this.
  10. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Usually between four and seven --- it all depends on the length of the story arcs. Prisoner of the Floating World is looking like it'll be either five or six issues long, which means we'll probably get either a five- or six-issue trade.

Hey, we now know who the prisoner of the floating world is! Cool.

11. DarthNefaris

Sep 11, 2011
    I was just thinking : the Sith apprentice killed his master who was red and tattoued. Then I guess we could see the Sith Apprentice (if he doesn't die in this arc) climbing some ladders and become a full-fledged sith lord, then getting the red skin, the tattoos and his Darth name in a few arcs.

12. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm guessing that the apprentice will not alter his appearance so that he could continue to pose as an IK. I also wonder if the apprentice was originally an IK gone rouge. The whole red & tatooed MO of the One Sith was stupid on their part. Easier to influence people when they think you are one of them.

Esg likes this.
  13. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Biased against what? Sith? No one with common sense in the government likes them

14. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    Read it and love it, congrats to Dark Horse and the new Legacy team for the perfect return to the era!

Yep, I agree, after the death of Krayt I don't think the Sith will tattoo themselves anymore. They would be more effective this way IMO.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    No, because Imperial Knights are emphatically a chivalric order in government service, not a theocratic order. The empress does not rule by virtue of her knowledge of the Force, but by birthright. She does not govern due to the dictates of the Force, but rather her knowledge of statecraft.

You must recall that most -- if not all -- medieval chivalric orders were religiously ordained. Monarchs who were sovereigns of these orders were, nevertheless, ruling based on temporal authority. Their authority over these knightly orders was indeed because of their earthly rather than spiritual power.

The Jedi, on the other hand, are emphatically theocrats.

Er, what? First of all, Jedi don't really pray -- and prayer is not an essential component of religion. Second, the Jedi are a religion -- you might see that little movie that came out in 1977 for confirmation of that assertion. Third, theocracy is a type of government, not a degree. Your assertion would be akin to stating that the United Kingdom is not a monarchy because Her Majesty does not rule by fiat.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  16. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Point to one trapping they share with any actual Theocracy.

I don't see a Theocracy as necessarily any worse then an Emperor getting the job because his dad was Emperor.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think this might be your problem: your emphasis on trappings suggests that you favor style over substance. Form of government is not based on outward visual manifestations: the DPRK is not democratic just because it calls itself that. The Jedi Order is a purely religious order: government by said order is definitionally theocracy. Trappings are irrelevant. I can wear a bear costume and that would not make me a bear.

As to your second point: characterizing a government is not a matter of value judgment. You seem to be laboring under the assumption that I am alleging that Jedi government is theocracy because theocracy is bad. These are, instead, two different propositions: 1. Jedi government is theocracy and 2. Theocracy is bad. While I am happy to debate you on the second proposition, it is not material to the first proposition. One may well favor theocracy and still argue that government by the Jedi is theocracy.

If you want to debate me as to why Jedi government is undesirable, I'd be happy to do so. Perhaps the best venue would be AdmiralNick22's new thread about the galactic triumvirate, since it seems directly germane to that topic.

18. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I don't think Tarkin calling it a religion makes it so.

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "A moral philosophy" might be closer.

The difference between Jedi and other Force-using factions is that Jedi have a specific set of views on how their power should be used.

20. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    You find nothing religious about following the Force as embodied through the Emperor or Empress or believing that there is a light side that they must themselves follow?

21. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The Empress rules so long as she doesn't turn to the dark side of the Force and rules according to the will of the Force. Half the purpose of the Imperial Knighthood is to depose the monarch if they stray from the light side of the Force. Hence why Emperor Fel was slain by Imperial Knight Antares Draco.

Both Empires, Palpatine and Fel, have been theocracies. The Felpire most openly.

22. DarthNefaris

Sep 11, 2011
    I wonder .. does Cade knows about the fact that Luke had a sister which had important children such as Jacen (then Caedus) and Jaina, and their descendants? He did not react when he saw Marasiah Fel. Same thing for her : is she aware that the Fel are related to the Skywalkers? Neither she did react. I was surprised that Duursema and Ostrander hadn't much developed the relationship between those two through the series.

As for Ania, we know nothing about her for now. Maybe she's aware of her legacy and the fact that she and all the great leaders of the Galaxy come from the same origin, maybe not. Anyway, I would really enjoy a scene with Cade, Marasiah and Ania together, it would be so ironic (and epic?).

Of course all of this is based only on speculations about Jaina being the first Empress of the Fel's empire and Roan being her grandson.

23. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yes I would honestly describe the Jedi has having a governing philosophy or a moral philosophy.

Fel Empire on the other hand is a Divine Right Monarchy. The Emperor is blessed by the Force and embodies the Force as long as they are on the light side.

24. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Might be closer to "Mandate of Heaven" than "Divine Right of Kings".

25. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    I really liked the issue!

* It was nice and fresh to start off on a true backwater world, with an apparently minor incident, to start everything off.

* I hope to learn more about Ania, I like her so far.

* It was sad learning about what Sauk and all the other Mon Calamari have been going through.

* A new generation of Sith is rising (and it definitely makes sense for them to not get red and black tattoos... that was the old way)

* Hope to learn more about the new government, of course!

* And it looks like we now know who the "Prisoner of the Floating World" is... but what exactly is this floating world, and what is the Sith's plot?