main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy of The Force, and beyond

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gorfy, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    So could we consider the NJO/LOTF/FOTJ as the rise of Jacen/Fall of Jacen/Legacy of Jacen? Similar to the Tragedy of Anakin Skywalker?

I reread LOTF last year and it didn't hold up it all. Parts of it were good but as a whole? No.
    Haven't read any of the FOTJ books since they came out.
    After reading DNT/LOTF/FOTJ/Crucible with no real wrap up of the era in sight and no happy ending has soured the whole experience for me.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    If we do that, then the terrorists have won.

3. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Apparently, I'm one of the few who felt the same way as you. I found the series to be very tragic and engaging.

4. PapiNacho

PapiNacho Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 14, 2015
    Crosscurrent/Riptide where both awesome and required no prior reading, so there are some gold gems in this era imo. As for the rest, I still have to read.

Revanfan1 and Iron_lord like this.
  5. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thousand years of peace under the Republic want a word with you

6. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    Glad OP liked it even if I did not care for it myself. I wouldn't say it was the beginning of the end for me, but it tended to butcher character development, and became a solid example of the weakness of the EU imo.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This has stuck in my head, and with the danger of veering into breaking my new year's resolution (Ulicus :p), I don't even think it's a fair comparison to make between Legacy of the Force and the prequel films as being the Tragedy of Caedus vis-a-vis the Tragedy of Vader, even though the former was clearly patterned on the latter. Widening the scope out to another tragedy with a character also seeking to avert a prophecy in Oedipus, you'll notice that in tragedies the principal character actually causes the very thing he seeks to avoid. In Anakin, you've got this guy that was traumatically separated from his mother at age 9, only seeing her again when she dies in his arms, instilling in him this inability to cope with change, and having prophetic nightmares of his wife's death, makes a deal with the devil to prevent it and the terms of the deal lead directly to her death. Similarly with Oedipus, you've got a guy told by the oracle of Delphi that he's going to kill his father and marry his mother, and unknowingly raised by people that weren't his parents, thinks if he gets out of Dodge he can avert this prophecy, and in so doing encounters his father on the road and kills him in an incident of ancient Greek road rage, and then goes on to solve the riddle of the Sphinx and marry his mother. Whoops.

What does Caedus do? He succeeds. One of the last parts of Invincible is Jaina thinking of how he succeeded in uniting the galaxy like he intended. When we see his apparition in Abyss, he gives Luke a bitchy grin of triumph. What's tragic about that? If I didn't know any better, I'd say the primary lesson of LOTF is that being a Sith Lord actually works if you're into self-sacrifice (which really doesn't make much sense with Sith ideology), because that's precisely what all Sith of this ilk did (Vergere, Lumiya, Caedus), but no other Sith in Star Wars has ever done that -- Anakin doing it was a sign of redemption. LOTF had the potential to be a tragedy before Caedus decided to rules lawyer his sacrifice and not actually have a sacrifice.

8. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

So....Let me get this straight, if you read this series first and then NJO....It completely contradicts. Is that what i'm hearing?

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    If you read LOTF first you would go into NJO likely being predisposed to a certain view of Jacen's character due to how he is in LOTF.

Would it contradict? Not completely, but the direction set for the character, at the end of NJO, was for me, not that which DN / LOTF set him on and I'm not a Jacen fan.

10. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Fascinating, I'm not Jacen Solo person nor do i know anything of the post ROTJ era apart from Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire (Guilty Pleasure) so my guess is people either liked Jacen as a good guy or is it just something people take away from him that the authors didn't?

vncredleader Once your done with LOTF and then read NJO tell me what you think then on this topic?

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    I found him an irritating little bastard for the bulk of NJO but didn't want him to be either a Sith or dead.

12. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Blunt :p

From what I heard, he got a Darth Vader like redemption, in that he was returned good for like 5 seconds before he died.

Sinrebirth likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    There is nothing to be guilty about.

14. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

Thank you :D I made a forum post just now about what people consider the best and worst era's of the EU and sadly a lot of the Post ROTJ stuff never interested me about from things like the Thrawn Trilogy and Dark Empire, and the X-Wings comics.

15. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    Have we entered an alternate universe or is the OP birth date post Denning era? Or something?

16. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

the what now?

17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Considering Denning's most recent book was in 2014, that's impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Dante1120

Dante1120 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 5, 2006
    The way I read it, Invictus was commenting that the only way someone can like Denning's work is in an alternate universe.

19. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    LOTF/FOTJ had great ideas, but a bad execution. Much like the Prequels that it followed.

Not sure if that's better than Disney's NuTrilogy which has bad ideas, and a mediocre execution...