main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Legacy of the force not worthy!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by darkdfrt, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darkdfrt

darkdfrt Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2008
    While Legacy of the force was entertaining it was not worthy of Jacen falling to the dark side and mara's death. Legacy of the force was a repeat of the classic story. Which it was a shame!

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's nice.

3. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    It is an interesting question.

Phrasing the original posters question differently.

Is the 9 book series worth losing Mara Jade and Jacen Solo as protagonists for?

Was its entertainment value enough?

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    *shrugs* I didn't really care about Mara and Jacen in the NJO, and as they killed off most of my faves in the NJO to begin with, their deaths were more of a mild blip on the radar screen. :p

5. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    My answer to both of the questions is the same: No.

6. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    For me, Mara is a yes but Jacen a no. Having Jacen kill Mara to make him a serious villian worked for me, but was kinda erased by his sudden death only four books later.

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Feel free to elaborate on your thoughts. You've got issues, discuss them out, magneto in some feedback. But don't just toss out a couple sentences for an opening post, it looks lazy and I-)

8. Lord_Riven

Lord_Riven Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    No.

Mara's death and Jacen's fall and subsequent death was a waste of potential.

We do now have no male Solos to carry on the family name. Count me very angry.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Well we don't exactly have a bunch of Solos running around in the Legacy comics, do we?

Though with the discussion going on here if it's true, it sure make's Jacen's death more meaningful.

10. Xiphos

Xiphos Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 7, 2007
    I thought it was entertaining in that Jacen, as a Sith Lord, had all the cunning of Palpatine and the viciousness of Vader.

I knew Jacen would die, but I didn't really want him to. He always struck me as the next Luke Skywalker.

11. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    I'm glad Jacen died. He was a clown who threatened the Academy at Ossus with the young ones there. That is unforgivable. Meanwhile he is deluding himself that he's doing it for the greater good. He is a weak-minded idiot who was manipulated by Vergere, Lumiya and Alema.

As for Mara...meh. Whatever, I don't really mind that they killed her, now it leaves us a Luke that doesn't have Mara fighting with him constantly.

There was some good things to LOTF. Such as the covers, I thought they were pretty sick. And Inferno was REALLY good. And it's funny because it's the shortest LOTF book but probably the best because it got right down to the point, and Revelation was the longest and perhaps the worst IMO. Fury was well done as well.

12. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001

I'm not sure it is a repeat of the classic story really
    no one was redeemed, for starters

the odd thing about this series was that for being 9 books long, it felt very rushed and very fast
    jacen barely became a Sith Lord before he was stopped
    he didnt really get the time to be a true enemy before it was all over

i wish they would have made his 5 year journey his actual Sith apprenticeship
    then had him come back a full blown Sith Lord
    maybe if he would have come back from the journey and then started the whole campaign to become cheif of state and everything
    then the whole series could have been giving us snippets of what happened on Jacen's force journey while everyone around him begins to question him

then they could have followed this up with a book or a trilogy specifically about his 5-year journey and his sith apprenticeship and ending with him killing his Sith Master and taking the title of Sith Lord

13. JaySkywalker01

JaySkywalker01 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 25, 2005
    This thread title reminds me of Wayne and Garth meeting Aerosmith.

WE'RE NOT WORTHY!! WE'RE NOT WORTHY!

14. blaXXer

blaXXer Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    funny, i was just thinking: Schwing?

15. TD33

TD33 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2008
    i agree both characters could've contributed alot more to sw.

16. Sector15

Sector15 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 19, 2008
    I can't even look at Invincible without wanting to stomp it into dust. My wife bought it me for my birthday. The week after I went on holiday and read it over a week and hated it. Killing Jacen and Mara for this garbage. Everyone involved should hang there head in shame.
    This is the first time I've commented on the series since I finished it (I couldn't even bring myself to come here I hated it so much).

17. marmkid

marmkid Jedi Master star 4

Apr 29, 2001
    wow
    i think that is the most hatred shown towards the series so far that i have seen

18. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    What, have you forgotten my posts? For shame! ;)

Seriously... this series wasn't worth anything. It was literally worth... nothing. A black hole where all potential, hope and light was sucked down like a drain.

19. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    I am in the minority here, clearly, but I really loved the series. And I didn't even start it until Bloodlines, which I thought was fantastic.

Before that, I had stopped reading Star Wars novels for a few years (I got about halfway through the NJO--but I knew of all the major climactic highlights). It wasn't an intentional choice, but other things just took precedence in my life.

Not only did I love the series, but it re-sparked my interest in Star Wars novels and the EU in general. I even went back and bought all the Dark Nest novels to catch up some.

I know there are more out there who feel the same.

20. younghansolo

younghansolo Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jun 2, 2002
    I didnt have any sympathy for jacen but i found his rise to power very interesting. I thought he was cool, this powerful tall dominating figure who desperately wanted even more power. I would have loved to have seen Jacen last a littleo longer becase i found myself believeing that he was the jedi almighty whereas before i found him to be rather weak compared with the likes of Anakin solo

21. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Thank You. That's a very nice thing to say, especially when the consensus seems to be it was a waste. I enjoyed every individual book myself.

22. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    That's two. Who else is with us?

23. leia7

leia7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2007

I enjoyed Inferno and Fury.

I thought Sacrifice and Invincible were very well written.

BUT for the series as a whole, no.

My primary reason is: was THAT the legacy of Luke Skywalker???

24. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I'm odd with this series. For the most part disliked the first eight novels when Invincible I really really enjoyed. Glad to see Jacen finally die, but he actually was a credible villain in the last novel. Too bad he wasn't credible back in book two. :p

25. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    We don't have many other things in Legacy either. If Legacy doesn't give us members of the Horn/Halcyon family, Durrons or descendants of Wedge soon, it doesn't have to mean that DR must kill them off in FotJ... It's a big galaxy, millions of inhabited planets, so there could have been a big and thriving Solo family somewhere without Legacy having to show them to us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.